test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is a new lvl 60 getting his gear now?

ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Just a question, when a player reaches level 60 for the first time, what is he supposed to do to get gear? Running dungeons? They are apparently pretty dead by now. Jump right into WoD and hope something good will drop for him? Or farm AD and buy good equipment on the AH?
Post edited by ixalmaris on

Comments

• shadows1313shadows1313 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well T2s are pretty cheap nowadays. U can prolly get a full T2 set from AH with less than 40k AD.
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Pretty sure you don't have to farm AD too hard.

Usually by the time you hit level 60, you should have at least 20k AD. That's enough to buy at least 2 pieces of epic equipment(most often boots and gloves). With about a week of doing Rhix/Neverember dailies, there shouldn't be any issue with getting fully geared up in decent epic stuff.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you have little patience, the post above holds true - buy and spend lots of Zen.

If you are patient:

Work the leadership profession (best with multiple characters) every day (twice a day is best).
    Invoke the gods 1-3 times a day with every character.
    Do some daily dungeons - get keys from the dwarf near Bazaar lady.
    and much more . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    For clarification, I wasn't asking about how to farm AD but about the gameplay aspect on how to progress. Simply buying all the stuff, while certainly the most easy way with the current prices, seems a bit wrong from that point of view.

Still, unless I am missing something it goes like:
    Lvl 60 -> Buy T2 on AH -> WoD
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you did your dailies while leveling up you should have at least enough for a T2 set + some epic weapon.
  • grumblesmorfgrumblesmorf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So the answer based on the replies seems to be "just buy it with AD" as opposed to "earn it by playing the game." Is that right? That seems... pretty dumb.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The path of least resistance is: 60 -> T2 gear/weaponry/artifact belt on AH -> ToD (Artifact Main Hand) ->WoD (Artifact Off Hand). Doesn't make it morally right, but that's how it is.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So the answer based on the replies seems to be "just buy it with AD" as opposed to "earn it by playing the game." Is that right? That seems... pretty dumb.

Depends. The RNG for drops can be rather cruel. T2 gear is rather cheap right now--just bought a complete HV set for my CW for around 250kish--not that long ago you could barely (if that) get a SINGLE HV piece for that little.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
    edited December 2014
    Depends. The RNG for drops can be rather cruel. T2 gear is rather cheap right now--just bought a complete HV set for my CW for around 250kish--not that long ago you could barely (if that) get a SINGLE HV piece for that little.

Oh I know those drop rates all too well. And I'm very familiar with those prices. I earned my miracle healer set by running dungeons over and over (and over) again before mod 5. Isn't that how the game was intended to be played? Play content, earn rewards from that content?

The way it is now though, it seems more like you're meant to just skip over all of the dungeons in "Dungeons and Dragons" entirely and just fight the same dragons over and over again all day every day. I just don't get why you would put all that effort into designing dungeons for people to run and then basically make them completely obsolete by having all the rewards from them available from somewhere else, more easily. And it's available so much more easily that the market has become flooded and some of those rewards are selling for even less than their salvage value now. You don't even need to play that content at all. Why would you? A full set of miracle healer is available right now for about 35k AD. Sure, that's convenient, but is it good?
  • eternalpietyeternalpiety Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i have got all my epic set gear off the AH, sometimes its really cheap. got all 4 high sentry parts for my Hr for under 70k but one part of my malevolent warlock set was 200k!, still easily done and relativly inexpensive.but cant help think that they may start to dry up if people stop running the dungeons they drop from.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Do the Dread Ring lairs - they are good for epic armor, main-hand, belt, and neck items. Once you have those pieces, and decent blues for the remaining equipment slots, you can start running some T1s/T2s...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited December 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Once you have those pieces, and decent blues for the remaining equipment slots, you can start running some T1s/T2s...

If 4 other people want to, sure. Not very many people feel like taking the time to run through a dungeon is worth the rewards anymore though. Why would they?
  • g0dfr3yg0dfr3y Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Dungeons aren't dead. I think it's a friendlier atmosphere now, because players are there more for fun and less to make their rAD for the day or whatever. The need/greed and gear score police are gone.

I just got my HR to 60, started doing my daily Foundries while waiting in dungeon queue, got five set pieces from dungeons and started fighting Tiamat within a couple days. I wish my older 60s had had it this easy.
  • neirgaraneirgara Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you don't want to buy your first equipment on AH, there are several ways for a fresh lvl 60 to get equippped:

Do Dread Ring - The Daily Dungeons give you epic equipment
    Do Dread Ring and Sharandar for boons - it increases your GS and unlocks Icewind Dale
    Do Icewind Dale - Black Ice Equipment is strong
    Do ToD - You can get more boons and Artefact Weapons and Artefact Belts and more nice epic equipment
    Do WoD - Even more Equipment

All this has much content and can be fun.

If you really want to do dungeons:

There are some dungeons, where it's easy to find players. Mostly Valindra's Tower, Malabogs Castle, Lair of the Pirate King, Temple of the Spider and Lair of Lostmauth.

Look for a guild that shares your interests or is willing to support new lvl 60 members in running dungeons for decent gear.

If you are still looking for more content:

Try Foundry
  • lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »
    Simply buying all the stuff seems a bit wrong from that point of view.
    Sure it's a hijack but looting the stuff the right way, from the corresponding epic dungeons (Karru, ToS, CN) that nobody runs nowadays will not be easy.
    Even in WoW last extension Warlord a Raynor or whatever, you don't get your stuff by playing all the dungeons from the Epoch, you farm the field bosses of the new extension and they loot you the stuff you need to get started.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh I know those drop rates all too well. And I'm very familiar with those prices. I earned my miracle healer set by running dungeons over and over (and over) again before mod 5. Isn't that how the game was intended to be played? Play content, earn rewards from that content?

The way it is now though, it seems more like you're meant to just skip over all of the dungeons in "Dungeons and Dragons" entirely and just fight the same dragons over and over again all day every day. I just don't get why you would put all that effort into designing dungeons for people to run and then basically make them completely obsolete by having all the rewards from them available from somewhere else, more easily. And it's available so much more easily that the market has become flooded and some of those rewards are selling for even less than their salvage value now. You don't even need to play that content at all. Why would you? A full set of miracle healer is available right now for about 35k AD. Sure, that's convenient, but is it good?

In your first paragraph, you discuss "running dungeons over and over (and over)" and say that this is the way the game was intended to be played (aka, grinding the same dungeons a lot). In your second paragraph, you are upset that the new grind where you "just fight the same dragons over and over again all day every day." This is still grinding and is very similar to grinding dungeons- except you are grinding dragons above ground instead of underground.

The original D&D was not just underground dungeons, it included many adventures above the ground as well. All of it is grinding, just the setting is different.

Some people think there is too much grinding of the same content, so they are happy to earn AD through a variety of methods (even not buying Zen) to buy equipment on the AH. There is nothing wrong with that if you hate grinding. It's all part of the game.

Based on your final comments, it seems like you are mainly upset that you did lots of grinding for your healer set and now it can be bought for 35k AD ("Sure, that's convenient, but is it good?").

All I know is that buying gear (which you can also do in the real D&D from shops and other players) sure beats ridiculous amounts of grinding. I'll leave that type of grinding to the gaming fanatics and drug addicts who can tolerate it. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would buy T2, unlock VT and get the weapon set there. Then move on to M4/5 and acquire artifact gear.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Armor is pretty cheap. Gearing up your artifacts...no idea anymore. Pay up I guess.
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I thought it was dumb too, then I tried it the old fashioned way by grinding it.
    My results were:

Queue for T1: Kicked because 18k superheros doing greed runs
    Queue for T2: Kicked because I'm not 22k+ doing greed runs
    Queue for Skirmishes: Viable source of AD from event
    Queue for Campaign Dungeons: It's not dragon-related so it'll never pop or you'll never finish.

I've yet to complete CN or VT with a Pug so idk about those.
    Your best bet is to just buy it.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Armor is pretty cheap. Gearing up your artifacts...no idea anymore. Pay up I guess.

They at least added RP to SoT and LoL boss loots and Tiamat. Not nearly enough, but it's a start. Bosses should always drop RP in addition to whatever else.
  • forcemajureforcemajure Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I had two new 60s in the last couple of months. The first one I bought cheap blues on the AH and headed out to Dread Ring and Sharandar... On the more recent one, I bought a set of T1 gear for almost the exact same price I had paid for the other's blue stuff. Looking more closely at the AH, I probably should have just spent a little more and gotten a T2 set - especially with the way gear score elitism is starting to escalate.
    edited December 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    In your first paragraph, you discuss "running dungeons over and over (and over)" and say that this is the way the game was intended to be played (aka, grinding the same dungeons a lot). In your second paragraph, you are upset that the new grind where you "just fight the same dragons over and over again all day every day." This is still grinding and is very similar to grinding dungeons- except you are grinding dragons above ground instead of underground.

The original D&D was not just underground dungeons, it included many adventures above the ground as well. All of it is grinding, just the setting is different.

Some people think there is too much grinding of the same content, so they are happy to earn AD through a variety of methods (even not buying Zen) to buy equipment on the AH. There is nothing wrong with that if you hate grinding. It's all part of the game.

Based on your final comments, it seems like you are mainly upset that you did lots of grinding for your healer set and now it can be bought for 35k AD ("Sure, that's convenient, but is it good?").

All I know is that buying gear (which you can also do in the real D&D from shops and other players) sure beats ridiculous amounts of grinding. I'll leave that type of grinding to the gaming fanatics and drug addicts who can tolerate it. :)

I think you're reading words between lines that aren't actually there. What does drug addicts have to do with anything?

I'm not upset about that at all. Two of my alts now have their T2 set without having to try the DD chest for them even once. That's nice and convenient for me too. I would've preferred to actually fight Karrundax with my mage though. That dungeon is a lot of fun. I'm glad I had many opportunities to actually play that content with at least one of my characters because it's much more fun than fighting the daily dragons. If I'm upset about anything it's that trying to queue for that content, even during a DD anymore has my main, a healer, sitting in queues for 10-15 minutes at a time because no one wants to run that stuff anymore. And those two alts are DPS classes so you can imagine how it goes for them. I usually log in when it's DD on one of them and queue right away while working on my campaign dailies. Lately, it's normal for them to queue with 59min remaining on the DD and not get into a group until after DD is over so I've been making sure to grab the key before I head out. And even then, I'm still just as likely to find a group of 18k speed runners who left a bunch of aggroed mobs by the fire I spawn at and instantly kick me because I'm not needed.

People are saying the atmosphere in dungeons has gotten better? I would love to see that, really. Please, tell me where these people who run the dungeons are now, because I would love to join them. This isn't sarcasm; I really want to play the dungeons and I don't know how to do it anymore because I'm not seeing them on legit since all they seem to do is talk about Tiamat, and the only ones you ever see in LFG and zone are those 18k speedrun groups. What I'm questioning here is exactly what I said: whether it's good to be making half the game obsolete, which is certainly what it seems like this has done from my point of view.

And to add to this commentary about grinding, which isn't even how I feel about it, I think dungeons where you work together with a group of 5 people who are rarely the same so you have to approach things in a different way every time are much more interesting than standing around a dragon with a group of 20+ people who all do the same thing every time because there is generally at least one of everything every time. It's much more of "a grind" that way because the encounters are much shorter and play out the same way every time. That seems a lot less interesting to me than a smaller group doing something that takes longer and requires a lot more adaptation and thinking about what to do where and when.
    edited December 2014
    mjytresz wrote: »
    I thought it was dumb too, then I tried it the old fashioned way by grinding it.
    My results were:

Queue for T1: Kicked because 18k superheros doing greed runs
    Queue for T2: Kicked because I'm not 22k+ doing greed runs
    Queue for Skirmishes: Viable source of AD from event
    Queue for Campaign Dungeons: It's not dragon-related so it'll never pop or you'll never finish.

I've yet to complete CN or VT with a Pug so idk about those.
    Your best bet is to just buy it.

Yes, I agree. That definitely seems to be your best bet for getting the rewards from that content. If that's all you want, run a bunch of skirmishes and buy it, definitely. I've done that twice now with alts and it's a very easy and reliable way to get the gear. But what I want to know is this: what is your best bet for if you want to actually experience those dungeons? Because I actually want to play those dungeons. I don't even care about the gear from them because I already have it. I just want to have fun again.
  • ragnarskunkragnarskunk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    But what I want to know is this: what is your best bet for if you want to actually experience those dungeons? Because I actually want to play those dungeons. I don't even care about the gear from them because I already have it. I just want to have fun again.

Make a guild run. Ask on guild chat for people willing to join you, grab 4 and kick some ***. Though with dungeons dead that might not be easy.
    Never Q for a dungeon. Seriously.