test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GF at Tiamat

vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
edited December 2014 in The Militia Barracks
hi comrades. i want to make thread about GF at Tiamat, which i presume, we are the least usefull class as always. wanna start work on offhand today (until today i played that HE with my HR)

what is the best rotation skills at this HE, lets discuss, give me some hints to be somewhat usefull at this lagfest, thank you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ITF, ET, single target DPS (or FLS or KV) on clerics
    ITF, KC, single target DPS on heads

Basically I swap ET and KC at every stage of the event, both are just to strong on their respective stages to ignore. The reason there is single target DPS as a 3rd encounter on clerics is swapping 2 just got to be to much work, and since I don't have FLS there isn't a really big choice I am missing out on. I used to KV instead of single target dps as that 3rd encounter, which gets you a giant score, and does help people stay alive, but it isn't more burn for heads which seems to be the critical point.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    yeah , thats overal specs for aoe or single. i mean area specific playstyle too. like is it worth create team for red and than have all team together at Linu to buff them. Or is any head worth Gf presence more ....
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    GF that isn't a glass cannon (common nowadays) should prefer Blue or Green, but if you see another GF in the group spread yourself out. The most important thing a GF can do in that raid is get ITF to a new group. Period. 5 GF. 5 ITF. You can up your win percentage just by doing your part to make that happen.

Also if you are Blue, Red, or Green head to center cleric with your ET.

Red is pretty trivial to survive as a GF. I think I posted a guide that an uber group should go to red. I have since changed that opinion. Uber groups should go to Blue or Green. If you are a high gear score get yourself into those. If you are a low gear score head to black or white. Red is in the middle. You can help the raid by self selecting. It isn't a knock on low GS players. You can help the raid so much by getting yourself into the appropriate group, so that you can DPS without struggling to survive, or the opposite, you can DPS where it is trivial for you to survive whereas for other players it might not be. High GS players trying to be nice by saying "any color" arn't helping the raid. They should get themselves into blue or green with red as a 3rd choice.

I went 3 of 4 saturday night on Tiamat, but I haven't been back yet. I spammed them all day on the first day.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    i plan try many things at evening. only i dont see white head easy, dont know how to avoid that freeze stun aoe, i dont see red area before it. may be my graphic glitches or bug but always be stunned for a long time as HR
  • Options
    galadrifgaladrif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ITF ET KV.
    If you stay at corner cleric then use ET and tell to your party not to kill ads. Just agro them and run with them around.
    Point is not to kill ads, but prevent them hit cleric. If cleric is full HP go to corner/ledge and throw or let your party members push
    them over ledge. Party members can relax and watch your dance. Fighters Recovery is a must then.
    Basically you can do corner cleric just with DC and rest can go and help in middle.
    Thats it!
  • Options
    cxyencxyen Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    for me, Lunge Strike, ITF, KV. since I'm wearing KC set.

Lunge Strike lets me change dragon heads quickly, if we beat it too much. :p
  • Options
    xd108xxd108x Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Mmm not been there on my GF yet but I would think they are quite useful there with both dealing with the adds since they thankfully made them very control resistant, and then of course they can tank one of the heads so it's not breathing on the rest of the group.

- Into The Fray I would only use if I felt the group was struggling, as its not really needed if you get some over-geared group with you.

- Enforced Threat is always a good skill to have on with multiple targets about as its rather difficult to tank without it + I usually combine it with Enhanced Mark.

- Knights Challenge can take the place of Knights Valour (which I am told is bad for lag in there atm) and I have often used it versus tough bosses such as dragons due to the damage they can do to the rest of the group. The main advantage is the half damage to everyone else, but also the added advantage of locking aggro on you - the risk is the double damage u take, which means certain attacks could kill you if not avoided instead of blocked.

- Lunging Strike/Bull Rush, good gap closers on adds or when knocked back from boss, Lunging Strike has longer ranged and better threat but Bull Rush is a knockback which is the only control the adds in there aren't resistant/immune to.

- Other good options are things like Knee Breaker, Flourish and FLS for extra threat/damage or Iron Warrior for more survivability.

- Preferred At-Wills for me are Crushing Surge and Tide of Iron. Dailies for fights like this would be Fighter's Recovery and Crescendo/Terrifying Impact.
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    just please please run ITF and use either KC or Draconic set - rest isn't so important.

If you are wondering, i'm quite sure scoring accounts for buffs too.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    LOL I totally forgot KC halves the damage to everyone else. I use it *rarely*, but I use it for this raid on heads. That explains a bit of why simultaneously dropping KV and replacing it with KC for dragon heads didn't see to matter to the group so much.

That aside, can't believe someone just recommended don't use ITF on this raid.
    - Into The Fray I would only use if I felt the group was struggling, as its not really needed if you get some over-geared group with you.

I know all opinions should be respected, but I don't think "over-geared" implies don't use ITF. It is a damage multiplier... you can't over-gear for a multiplier.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Cos GFs are more than just buff bots and if a group is comfortably being able to take down one of Tiamat's heads without it then it would just be overkill, therefore another skill could be used instead. It's just not something I feel you have to use to play a GF well in a group like many seem to think is the case with KV, but more of a situational skill such as helping lower geared players in the battle or when burst damage is needed.
  • Options
    canmanncanmann Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My 2AD worth,

I don't feel GFs are useless, in fact, if you do your job well we can make the cleric stage a breeze.

My encounters are pretty much the same as mentioned above. I find myself sticking to LS, ET, ITF the most.

The cleric stage is our chance to shine! I prefer the middle cleric as it get the most adds. There are three spawn points for adds at mid. I like to pick the closest to the ledge and aggro those as they pop. Keep an eye on the other two spawn areas and mark those guys as they spawn. Tab is your friend as it aggros mob to you. It will run to you at platform. You should have a bunch of mobs on you and your local CW or DC can easily blow them off the ledge. Rinse and repeat.

If you happen to be on one of the side clerics it is even easier as there is fewer mobs and spawn points. Same principle, just aggro all mobs and keep them close for the DPSers to kill! Just keep the mobs a good distance from the clerics. Do not round them up on top of the cleric :)

As I said I prefer the mid cleric as it gets the most mobs and I find that fighters recovery is a must. With all the encounter buffs and stat food buffs I come in around 73K hps so I can take a beating from all the mobs at mid. Even with high health mid can get hairy so if you run lower health, watch how many you pull as those devils can hit hard!

What I never thought of before, does Knights Challenge half the damage done by the AoEs of the mob you have challenged? If so that could be very helpful.

As for not using ITF I will disagree. To me ITF is a must even if the team I am on is crazy geared. A dps boost is a dps boost and it is not capped. It allows for your team to assist other teams that maybe struggling to get their head down quick enough.

Remember, your only good as your weakest link! If you can assist those teams out all the better :)

Have fun out there!
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I only have a GF and played Tiamat for the first time last night

I know I held my own

That said I in no way ahree we are the leadt useful of classes

I normally hold my own in PVP, unless I get involved in a stun fest

And when when it takes 2 or more folks to hit me they are not doing something else

Geez

Urlord
  • Options
    ipuaiwahaipuaiwaha Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At wills: Crushing Surge, Threatning Rush
    Encounters: Into the Fray, Lunging Strike, Enforced Threat
    Dailies: Indomitable Strength, Fighter's Recovery.

During Cleric phase, should be using Enforced Threat, Threatning Rush, and Lunging Strike to grab as many enemies as possible, tank with Aggrivating Strike, and use Fighter's Recovery to heal. During head phase, use Crushing Surge's damage with Indomitable Strength for single target damage. Into the fray is on cooldown as always.
  • Options
    nyetdiemnyetdiem Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2014
    Most of the same as above: ITF, ET, KV.

I don't swap out powers for the head phase, though. Not a buff bot or perma-block, so KC can take me out pretty quick on the head AoE's. Instead I try to kite the mobs over to the side so the dps can do their job on the head. My reasoning is the 2k-4k that I put out on crushing surge/stab would be better used on the mobs than having the dps worry about the mobs & the head.

And yes, buffs/damage taken via KV count toward your score at the end. Generally finish between 2nd-5th place at the end.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    yay, i dont reconsider my lagfest style enough, so i play lunging for movement, frey for movement and buff and frontline for area cc

only i wondering how can be always high ranking at the end. if i compare with hr, where i spam dps and be always on low if good group
  • Options
    koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    protip for tiamat: never press shift
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    1. In cleric phase mobs actually do enough damage that KV can save lives if someone over-aggros.
    2. In Tiamat phase thus far my GF is the only thing that survives a failed gem cycle relieably (sometimes on some heads can die-soulforge-ravens). So in a worst-case scenario you can gaurd then pick up the rest of the party.
    3. Buff/ debuff stuff already mentioned here...
  • Options
    benistvanbenistvan Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    qutsemnie wrote: »
    ITF, ET, single target DPS (or FLS or KV) on clerics
    ITF, KC, single target DPS on heads

Basically I swap ET and KC at every stage of the event, both are just to strong on their respective stages to ignore. The reason there is single target DPS as a 3rd encounter on clerics is swapping 2 just got to be to much work, and since I don't have FLS there isn't a really big choice I am missing out on. I used to KV instead of single target dps as that 3rd encounter, which gets you a giant score, and does help people stay alive, but it isn't more burn for heads which seems to be the critical point.

Does Into the fray even works to other people around you?
    Its a party buff.
    Btw does Knight Valor works to other ppl around you?

My rotation is ET, FLS, KV.
  • Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    benistvan wrote: »
    Does Into the fray even works to other people around you?
    Its a party buff.
    Btw does Knight Valor works to other ppl around you?

My rotation is ET, FLS, KV.

Yes, which makes the GF something of a pick your poison type class.

Pro tips: if you are in an instance where teams are coordinated on each head, then it is better to be grouped up and use ItF. If you are in a zerg instance, it is actually better to use KV and not be in a group as it will effect up to 5 other players (instead of only 4 like if you are in group)

The best spot for the GF is in the middle fighting the green, red, and blue heads as Linu gets swarmed the worst and these heads are a shorter walking distance which helps the slowest class in the game be more effective. Stand near where the adds spawn in front and to the left and right of Linu and use ET when they come up. Then just stand guarding as the other players burn them down. You'll be amazed at how fast GF's can make the cleric phases go.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    canmanncanmann Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    protip for tiamat: never press shift

+1

/10char
  • Options
    user4035user4035 Member Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Guradian fighter in general is getting pretty stupid. I'm getting tired of taking 2-3 times as long to solo pve content compared to all my other classes.
  • Options
    lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No offense, but you don't know how too properly play your GF then if you feel you're useless. Learn your role man... Watch this.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    user4035 wrote: »
    Guradian fighter in general is getting pretty stupid. I'm getting tired of taking 2-3 times as long to solo pve content compared to all my other classes.

This thread isnt about solo content on GF tbh and I think that topic has already been discussed. You are also missing the point of playing a GF that unless you focus on offensive stats and a build like Conq then GF aren't designed to deal damage but take it.

Regarding the Tiamat fight I have one PRO TIP: Knight's Valour is overrated on many fights and not the answer to all fights, a much better option on this fight is to use Knight's Challenge as this reduces the damage that the targeted head by half to EVERYONE (but yourself of course). For the adds if you know how to tank just use Enforced Threat to bring them to u.
  • Options
    twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited December 2014
    I think Tiamat is a splendid example of how little attention is paid to GFs. I just love taking hold of the adds by the right-most cleric and routinely getting frozen by the white head's breath because it cannot be blocked by my shield, and I cannot (unlike other classes) dodge out of the red blurb in time if I'm mid-attack. I get to chose between feeling stupid and frozen, or feeling stupid popping villain's menace to not get frozen.
  • Options
    ipuaiwahaipuaiwaha Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    twitticles wrote: »
    I think Tiamat is a splendid example of how little attention is paid to GFs. I just love taking hold of the adds by the right-most cleric and routinely getting frozen by the white head's breath because it cannot be blocked by my shield, and I cannot (unlike other classes) dodge out of the red blurb in time if I'm mid-attack. I get to chose between feeling stupid and frozen, or feeling stupid popping villain's menace to not get frozen.
    Sure you can block it. You have to be facing the center of the red circle and not the dragon head though.
  • Options
    agsellers04agsellers04 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I ranked #1 with my GF in a Tiamat win a few days ago and routinely rank in top 10 and his GS is at 15.5k. The key to making your GF useful, is to draw aggro, then draw some more aggro. Controlling aggro is the single most imortant role of the GF. ET for aggro, TAB to increase threat, IW for survivability, and a third "floating encounter" based on how the fight is going. ITF if you are tight on time, KV or KC if you are having problems with the CWs and SWs, etc drawing too much aggro, etc.

I believe the GF is a very underrated class. They can be a great asset if you know how to tank properly with them.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Inv. 4 dps classes, spam ITF on cooldown and things will go much smoother. A friend, playing GF grouped with a decent CW, who used his OF after ITF. They whiped the floor with the adds.

On my CW I had, by chance, a group with a debuff DC a GF and 2 other dps classes. It was at the beginning, before zerg mode. We begun at black, dpsed him to 20%, went to green, when we arrived he had lost 10%, dpsed him to 20% and went on to red and got him to half his HP. Thanks to buffs/ debuffs a good group can do the work of a mediocre zerg. Utilize that buffs, to help your group win the fights.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.