test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Community Guide: Basic Guide to Killing Tiamat

tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
EDIT: Learned a few things about the fight. Additions will be highlighted.

This is not meant to be a definitive guide to killing Tiamat, simply some basic guidelines to help people complete the encounter. I am sure many tricks and tips will be learned over time, but as of my 3rd attempt it is obvious that some information needs to be shared.

Tiamat is an instance containing 5 groups of players (25 people total). We are required to do several things to achieve victory:

1. Kill summoners
2. Kill Severin
3. Protect Clerics
4. Attack a head of Tiamat
5. Protect Clerics
6. Attack heads of Tiamat.
(Cleric and head phases repeat)

In order to do this correctly:

1. Form into 5 groups. Each group MUST BE FORMED ONCE YOU ENTER THE ANTECHAMBER. Currently pre-made groups have no guarantee of being in the same instance, so wait to form your groups until you have entered the antechamber. You have 4 minutes (maybe 5) once you enter until the fight begins. DO NOT WASTE THIS TIME. There are 5 colored altars in the antechamber. 5 people should go to each altar and form a group. The color of altar will determine which head you will focus on for the rest of the fight, and which summoner you kill and which gem you collect. THIS IS IMPORTANT. 5 people per head.

2. There are 5 Summoners, one for each color of Tiamat's Heads. Once killed each of them leaves behind a clickable icon (looks like a Wizard's Artifact orb) which will grant you a colored gem. A player my only have *1* gem at a time, each gem provides some protection to the breath weapon associated with it's color. Once you have a colored gem, YOU SHOULD REMAIN FOCUSED ON THAT COLOR HEAD FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE FIGHT. After your Summoner is dead, pick up the gem. THEN PUT THAT GEM IN YOUR POTION BELT FOR QUICK USE. The gem functions like a protection spell, lasting about 10 seconds with an approx 2 minute cool down. The dragon head breaths about one time every 2 minutes. Use the gem to protect yourself. Once all 5 summoners have been killed you should fall back to the center area to kill Severin. He is an easy kill, so you do not have to fall back if you have a slow mount or are just feeling lazy. Just as long as he dies quickly, we are all on the clock in here.

3. Each group (which you formed before the fight) should focus on a single color. The color you focus on will be the color of altar where you formed the group. That means that when the fight starts you kill your color of summoner, get your color of gem and then help kill Severin. Then you go back to a Cleric near the head you will be fighting.

Black is the farthest to the left. Stay near your cleric at all times. Green is next, Green players should split time betwen the Cleric near the black head and Linu near the middle. Red Players stay near Linu for the entire Cleric Phase. Blue players move from Linu and The 3rd Cleric. White Players stay near the 3rd Cleric for the entire fight. EDIT: Black group protect the cleric far to the left. White group gets cleric far to the right. BLUE RED AND GREEN FOCUS ON LINU. Only leave Linu if you think black or white is in trouble. LINU GETS 3x AS MANY ADDS, 3 GROUPS OF PLAYERS NEED TO DEFEND HER. If you see that Linu is well protected it is reasonable to break a couple of people off of her to assist either black or white, but only if Linu is OK.

4. Once the clerics have done their thing everyone MOVES TO THE HEAD THEY HAVE CHOSEN. You will have some protection from the breath weapon as long as you picked up the gem. That does not mean you are immune to it, but it will be survivable. Do as much damage to your head as possible. BUT DO NOT KILL IT, DO NOT KILL IT.

5. To finish the encounter all 5 heads need to be dead at the same time. EVERYONE NEEDS TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE HEALTH OF ALL THE OTHER HEADS. When all heads are close to death you then kill your head. Once your head is dead feel free to assist another group in killing theirs. Rinse and repeat.

Coordination is important in this fight, but it is not hard to do once everyone knows how it works.

Any suggestions or comments?
Post edited by tickdoff on

Comments

• guidakisguidakis Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah 1 suggestion dont bother to win, no drop at all if you win, not even Linus Favor (of course you can open coffer if you have the key)
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    On the clerics, the middle cleric is slightly more difficult than the others. If you are excellent at anchoring the death of AE waves take that one as your own. The outer ones can be done with two to three people with pretty low stress.
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It doesnt matter to me in the slightest if its so lagged out I can't do anything
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    guidakis wrote: »
    Yeah 1 suggestion dont bother to win, no drop at all if you win, not even Linus Favor (of course you can open coffer if you have the key)

I have no intention of entering into a mission with that mindset. I play to win, simply for the challenge if for no other reason.
  • kilden1234kilden1234 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 42
    edited December 2014
    guidakis wrote: »

When you kill Tiamat you will get 1 Linu's Favor. Please dont spread misinformation. -_-
    edited December 2014
    Everyone learns this going in but if for some reason some wants to be really prepared. Head order is:

BLACK GREEN RED WHITE BLUE

C1.................C2..............C3
    (white and blue may be flipped)

C1, C2, C3 are cleric 1, 2 and 3. They need to be protected before heads spawn. Because of the configuration of the zone when people do get organized around heads they tend to leave C2 to red which leaves them a little swamped if red isn't uber. C2 gets more adds than C1 and C3. That was my encouragement. Just because you are in BLACK, GREEN, WHITE, or BLUE doesn't mean you can't be a helper on C2. If everyone thinks that way that leaves 2 groups on C1 and C3 which is massive overkill. In reality C1 and C3 only need the outer most head groups protecting them (for example BLACK), and for example GREEN should be on C2.

As for strat assuming pre-mades (they will fix that). I think if you are an uber premade you should anchor RED and C2. You should aim to have RED to 25% on wave 1, and stop and start assisting whatever side looks weakest. If you do something like bring your uber premade to BLACK you will: (a) run a lot (b) not be anchoring C2, and (c) not be in a position to swing to either side to help on the finish.
  • bazhen2002bazhen2002 Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2014
    one more- colored gem must be slotted like a potion
  • rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The problem is that they set the gear requirement far too low. For instance we almost killed our head in the 1st phase during a run while the others had almost no damage at all. The minimum gear requirement should have been set at least to 16K.
  • jiubiizeekkjiubiizeekk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Im with you on that rlrobr, im running into instances with people that have no weapon enchantments rank 5 armor enchants ect with sup bad damage and you just know its a instant failure. Not to mention that 90% of the Pugs dont read chat and wander around wondering what's going on oblivious that there is people who actually want linu's favor.
  • izworizwor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rlrobr wrote: »
    The problem is that they set the gear requirement far too low. For instance we almost killed our head in the 1st phase during a run while the others had almost no damage at all. The minimum gear requirement should have been set at least to 16K.

I cannot agree with that ;/
    I have three characters (SW, DC, TR) with 14.5k-15.5k range and 17k GWF,
    I must say these 3 are doing much better in pve than any GWF up to 20k gs.
    GS is not the issue, but lack of comunication is.

GS might be upped a bit, 14, maybe 15k,
    a class with completed campaigns, enchantments r6+, 3 artifacts should be able to join,
    to ask for more, its too much.
    edited December 2014
    I just want to put this in caps because I am going in for the 5th time today and I am hopeful:
    DO NOT KILL YOUR HEAD UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THEY ARE ALL GOING TO DIE IN THIS 2 MINUTE ROUND.

Thank you
    edited December 2014
    qutsemnie wrote: »
    I just want to put this in caps because I am going in for the 5th time today and I am hopeful:
    DO NOT KILL YOUR HEAD UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THEY ARE ALL GOING TO DIE IN THIS 2 MINUTE ROUND.

Thank you

Yes, Wait to kill them until all 5 are ready to go down.
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I said this in zone, but I feel like it should be said here, too. We have a MASSIVE player base. All this crying about failures on the first day of this fight is ridiculous, because it's going to take time for everyone to learn how to do it. Once they do and everyone has it down you'll all be complaining about how easy it is. Suck it up. Stop crying. You look silly.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • roksanalyasinroksanalyasin Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Firstly, excellent guide. I'll refer all member of my guild to it.

Secondly, whilst I certainly agree that GS needs to be higher, 16K may be too high for a number of players. There are simply too many variables that decide GS. GF and GWF will always be able to achieve higher GS than other classes for example simply because of factors such as a higher AC: I have seen fully geared Clerics who can only just break 15K, and barely geared GF who are chilling out on 16K. As for my main CW (Renegade) who runs minimum rank 7 enchants, a greater vorpal, 3 epic artifacts (not artifact gear, just standard artifacts including a rank 89 Lantern) I can only just break 16K when I wear Purified Black Ice Gear and yet I can still keep up with a number of Thaum CWs with Epic or Legendary artifacts, artifact weapons and belts on DPS.

What we need is experienced players, and the fact is that until people have had a chance to fight Tiamat and learn how to run the instance then we're not going to beat it every time. Give it a couple days (its only been out for a few hours!) and people will know how to run it and Linu's favor will be dropping fast.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tactics appear to be everything here. My HR is 23k, with the gods' own defense and regen stats, but against level 65 mobs and those heads it doesn't matter without coordination.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    discorice wrote: »
    I said this in zone, but I feel like it should be said here, too. We have a MASSIVE player base. All this crying about failures on the first day of this fight is ridiculous, because it's going to take time for everyone to learn how to do it. Once they do and everyone has it down you'll all be complaining about how easy it is. Suck it up. Stop crying. You look silly.

That's coz you're forced to pug. If it was really hard with coordination you have power to improve your strategy. When only pugging you rely on everyone else knowing what they're doing and are quite powerless.
  • jondbxjondbx Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kilden1234 wrote: »
    When you kill Tiamat you will get 1 Linu's Favor. Please dont spread misinformation. -_-

Nope it's bugged. Killed Tiamat 3 times and only got the favor on one of them.
  • archsinner81archsinner81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited December 2014
    i think a minimum that pug should know.
    1)Once your dragon hit 25%, move to help dps down the other dragon head with higher health to 25%
    2)For those with the correct artifact please use it, when the pattern red area appear
    3)Need to kill all dragon head on the same phase to win, else the head will just respawn with 25% health
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Some additions:

1. When you use your gem, it creates a small area of effect pattern on the ground. Stay within that area to be protected from the dragons breath. The gem provides little, if any, protection other than that.
    Use the gem only when the dragon's breath red area appears.

2. You will need to coordinate with your team members to ensure at least one of you can create the area of protection. There is no way to survive or escape the dragon's breath otherwise. Don't waste an invocation if one of your team members already has used his on that instance of the dragon's breath.
  • baalhashmalbaalhashmal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It can't be THAT difficult to code that logic into placing pre-made parties together...can it?

I'd seriously prefer to go with my guild mates. Pugs consist of undergeared, unintelligent players who don't bother with the forums or reading zone chat. Why burden the rest of us who actually read the guide (or can figure out the strategy very quickly on our first try) with pug parties?

Honestly, I'd prefer to Sunburst other pug players off the map at this point as they pose a much greater threat than Tiamat herself.

Cleric: Marquis Elmdore - Current Main <3
    Wizard: Iamblichus
    Fighter: Anna the Titan
    Barbarian: Anann Valkyrja
    Ranger: Minerva Cory'phaia
    Warlock: Suri Coralyne Reid

Guild: She Looked Level 18.
    Alliance: Imperium
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wonderful guide tickedoff! Imma point my guildies here.
    edited December 2014
    Wonderful guide tickedoff! Imma point my guildies here.

Thank you.

I have now been in 2 successful runs, I will update the guide shortly with a few more observations.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Added this to the Guide Sticky! Thanks!

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
  • wiesiek000dymaczwiesiek000dymacz Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    People if we have 10 min for kill all dragon in Dragon Well, why not will in the same time try kill fuuccking head in the same time? We just must go together. I belived taht it is possible. ALL AND TOGETHER START FROM BLACK
    abdulalalzat_gameplay.png
    BEST WAY FOR LOSE YOUR LIFE WHEN
    IN NEVERWINTER DID START YOU PLAY
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Another big hindrance is that the zone chat is bombarded, please can they make it per instant, otherwise it makes it nigh on impossible to coordinate with others.
  • acrosscatacrosscat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Another big hindrance is that the zone chat is bombarded, please can they make it per instant, otherwise it makes it nigh on impossible to coordinate with others.

Legacy code, probably impossible. Honestly, people should just use local and party chat.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My suggestions after a day of tiamat runs.

As the OP said, form parties, hit different heads in the first phase. Tell your party to get the head to 10% or so, then importantly, break off and help at a head that's struggling.

Eg. Last run, our team got red down and nearly dead quickly, while green and blue were nearly untouched. We broke off and attacked green, getting him down to about 20% before the phase closed.

In the last phase, luckily some other groups had already done as we did, and all the heads were low. We zerged from left to right, killing each head as we went.

If we'd had 10 more seconds, hell, even 5, we'd have done it.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • m1nuendm1nuend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Some additions:

1. When you use your gem, it creates a small area of effect pattern on the ground. Stay within that area to be protected from the dragons breath. The gem provides little, if any, protection other than that.
    Use the gem only when the dragon's breath red area appears.

2. You will need to coordinate with your team members to ensure at least one of you can create the area of protection. There is no way to survive or escape the dragon's breath otherwise. Don't waste an invocation if one of your team members already has used his on that instance of the dragon's breath.

It is possible to dodge the blue's breath at least. If you dodge at the right time the first time, your next dodge/s will enable you to escape damage as well.

But yeah, obviously the gems are easier.
    39275e2ac4.jpg
    edited December 2014
    1) Plan on winning in round of 3 of heads. Ideally round 3 is a zerg phase. Start at black or white and kill to center. That means start left most or right most. Do not go to GREEN or BLUE at the start of round 3. That will leave you running to much. Ideally at the start of round 3 the heads will be at 20% each. You have 2 minutes to kill 5 heads near 25%, but most raids can accomplish more than that in 2 minutes.

2) Plan on bringing each head to 25% during rounds 1 and 2. You have 4 minutes of fighting to accomplish that. Killing below 25% is a waste. They regen back to 20% between rounds.

3) If you get your dragon down to 40% or less during round 1, during clerics pick a new target with your team. Do not start at your dragon again on round 2 unless everyone is fine in the zone. It is pointless. If you do, you fight for 15% health and then start running to your new goal which is a waste of running. Specially if your dragon only had 33% or less to start with. Better to go to your new goal and get it to 20% and then if time is left clean yours up. If you get your dragon anything under half on round 1 you should probably look for slack to pick up elsewhere. If you only just got to half and the rest of the zone is close (or multiple heads were under half) then you can return to your head, but that is a pretty small window. Most of the time there are only two types of dragon head teams: those that need help in round 2 and those that should be helping others in round 2. Decide which your team was during the clerics, but stay together as a group for the synergy.

In the above I repeatedly refer to 25%. This is all from "observation" and 25% might be 20%. It is certainly not less than 20% and not more than 25%.

Edit:
    I know I have seen heads left at 10% come back at 25% which is where my advice is coming from, but some folks in NW_Legit say they know they have left heads at 5% and they have stayed there between rounds. I can't account for the discrepancy, but some people think dots might be killing them between rounds if they get to low. It can matter when you get to the round 3 decision (all/in outer to inner or bring low and wait for round 4). The advice I gave was based on the fact that once they are near 25% at the start of a round 3 there is nothing to do but go all/in. You won't have a better look at it with a partial round 4, but if you can just bring them to 5% and clean them up with a partial round 4. Who knows?
  • sammiefightersammiefighter Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »
    There are 5 colored altars in the antechamber. 5 people should go to each altar and form a group. The color of altar will determine which head you will focus on for the rest of the fight, and which summoner you kill and which gem you collect.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who noticed these items!
    tickdoff wrote: »
    2. The dragon head breaths about one time every 2 minutes. Use the gem to protect yourself.

For the gems I tried they seem to work every other breath, wondering if others have had the same.

Also it may be worth noting that some are protection during attack (Red-Protection from fire ), some seem to be debuff (Black-Remove Acid). So timing of usage may be an issue. (As an advanced maneuver this adds ability for 1 person to grab an off colour debuff for your party for mid game strategy shift if a dragon head is lagging in damage, and Share a protection area during on colour attacks)