test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black Ice and Imperial Artifact set

ragnarskunkragnarskunk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited December 2014 in The Library
Today I got my last piece of the new black ice artifact set and went to test the 3rd piece bonus right away.
Despite being a Thaumaturge CW I never really took the time to check how the %weapon dmg works because I deal more than enough dmg already. I was completly taken by surprise.
Here's the 3rd piece bonus in action:
scs66vB.jpg

My weapon damage is 701-857 so as you can see it literally works the way its written. Also it seems the chance to proc this bonus is below 5%.
Its completly useless so whats the point of this bonus? Really might as well have no bonus at all.
The Imperial set is not much better either. On the other hand the Lathander set seems to be amazing!
Am I the only one who finds this hilarious or did I missed something?
Post edited by ragnarskunk on

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Percent of weapon damage is just that...a percent of weapon damage.

The devs stated that they wanted the bonuses attached to the sets to be a perk for collecting a set, and not something that turned into a "must have".
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

The devs stated that they wanted the bonuses attached to the sets to be a perk for collecting a set, and not something that turned into a "must have".
    And for this reason I'm keeping my current set of artifacts, getting belt and neck I need instead of one I am forced to.
    Thou the "I'm dying, LOL not anymore" bonus is kind of OP on paper.
  • ragnarskunkragnarskunk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I can understand that but it doesnt explain the logic behind making some sets worth it and others not. CW's suffer from too much recovery already and you need to add it even more to complete this set. One would assume the third piece bonus would be worth the sacrifice. But nope. Its almost literally worth nothing.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeap this is why I decided to keep the Owlbear belt with it's +4 INT , we asked for the new belts to have stats based on what class equipped them instead of having set stats so any class could equip any set but the system designer decided he knew best and stuck the sets with static stats that railroad classes into using only one specific set unless they don't mind their stats suffering.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Lathander currently procs off Soulforged which is just a bug, so expect this getting fixed (or nerfed like future forum qq'ers will say).

I don't care if you do it in PvE as this doesn't affect real players in a bad way, abusing this in PvP however (like few classes currently do with specific builds that give them a very unfair advantage) is a other story.
    signature-lili.png
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I got the whole Black Ice Set, upgraded it to legendary, tested it, laughed because it was really lame, used it as RP in other set of pieces, happy end.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I got the whole Black Ice Set, upgraded it to legendary, tested it, laughed because it was really lame, used it as RP in other set of pieces, happy end.

I doubt you just threw away almost 14 million Refining Points just like that...
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I doubt you just threw away almost 14 million Refining Points just like that...

Well, doesn't count as I threw it away because it was used to feed another set of legendary artifacts. Some people use opals, others use brilliant diamonds, I use legendary items as RP.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vverg wrote: »
    Lathander currently procs off Soulforged which is just a bug, so expect this getting fixed (or nerfed like future forum qq'ers will say).

I don't care if you do it in PvE as this doesn't affect real players in a bad way, abusing this in PvP however (like few classes currently do with specific builds that give them a very unfair advantage) is a other story.

Who says it's a bug? Anyway considering soulforged has never worked flawlessly I'm sceptical they could fix it even if it was a bug.
  • dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Lathander currently procs off Soulforged which is just a bug,

i wanna hear if devs say this is WAI and if so they need to buff the hell out of the BI one (which will annoy me as the only saving grace with regards #beltgate was that the new belts/ set wernt signifigantly better than the mod 4 ones
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014

AFAIK the eye of lathander doesn't ressurect you, just other team members. So are you saying that if someone gets the whole set it should do nothing for them? But only their teammate?

Unlike the other set bonuses this one has to proc off an enchantment, which has a (howeverlongitis) long cooldown and only amounts to some healing. People blaming this set for clerics being unkillable tanks are ignoring the fact that even without it they are pretty unkillable tanks atm if set up right. I think it should be toned down, but if it doesn't proc off soulforge its pretty useless to the wearer.

So I disagree with you that this proccing off of soulforged is a bug...and if it is then wtf good is the set without that?
    BTW, talking about forum qq'ers...lol at you qq'ing about not only this set bonus being 'abused' in pvp but also about how people's builds give them an unfair advantage. Do you even build bro?
  • yokanaanyokanaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Devs already stated that those bonuses won't be game-changing and it's true for PvE. It's a nice little addition for set collectors and those who were lucky enough to have 3/3. Lathander can be OP in PvP but in PvE - who dies anyway.
    It requires Eye of Lathander which is an insanely rare drop bound on pickup so you won't see many ppl using it for a long time.
  • smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Good to know that I'll be able to switch the black ice beholder artifact for something else.
  • shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If we put the set bonus aside, what would you say is the most advisable artifact cloak for a Spellstorm CW?
    Right now I am inclining to the Lathander one. More AP is cool but my AP gain is fair OK right now but I'd done with more survivability.
    edited December 2014
    shadevp wrote: »
    If we put the set bonus aside, what would you say is the most advisable artifact cloak for a Spellstorm CW?
    Right now I am inclining to the Lathander one. More AP is cool but my AP gain is fair OK right now but I'd done with more survivability.

As a PvE player situations in which I wouldn't die if only I had a tiny bit more AP to use Oppressive Force happen more often then it should. Especially on eSoT and eLoL.
    +4% AP every 3sec during a fight is a big deal and quite handy in boss fights like CN and VT last bosses.
    I dont know how much resistance you would benefit from +8AC so AP is my choice. CW's are not supposed to tank anyway.
    CW's suffer from too much recovery. For that reason the Black Ice Cloak wins against the Imperial. And for the same reason Cloak of the Seldarine is better than Lathander.
  • umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    CW's suffer from too much recovery.

Not when you use draconic set and the new personalised archmage rings. I've calculated I would get 2,5K recovery at max with Lathander cloak.
  • yukimaru153yukimaru153 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Right....okay ya kinda stated the obvious about it not being a must have. But still there is this thing called incentive for actually take the time to farm it.... just staying. The bonus is way to low for the work or cash it takes to put together. Pretty sure that was the op point....

On top of that the Lathander set obviously is more than a round of an applause for collecting the set. So not sure where the logic is in your statement or the devs actions.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    AFAIK the eye of lathander doesn't ressurect you, just other team members. So are you saying that if someone gets the whole set it should do nothing for them? But only their teammate?

It resurrects you as well
    edited December 2014
    umsche wrote: »
    Not when you use draconic set and the new personalised archmage rings. I've calculated I would get 2,5K recovery at max with Lathander cloak.

True its possible to not surpass the recovery cap but the sacrifice it takes its not worth the choice. For PvE at least I find the High Vizier set the best one by far. Done some dmg tests with it on dummies and people deal up to +30% dmg for a few secs after the HV set bonus procs (me included). It easily beats a few control bonus or action point gain.
    edited December 2014
    As a PvE player situations in which I wouldn't die if only I had a tiny bit more AP to use Oppressive Force happen more often then it should. Especially on eSoT and eLoL.
    +4% AP every 3sec during a fight is a big deal and quite handy in boss fights like CN and VT last bosses.
    I dont know how much resistance you would benefit from +8AC so AP is my choice. CW's are not supposed to tank anyway.
    CW's suffer from too much recovery. For that reason the Black Ice Cloak wins against the Imperial. And for the same reason Cloak of the Seldarine is better than Lathander.

Well, even with the 1st part of the Module4 CW is rather squishy. Yes, if you theoretically can always dodge the lethal damage AP gain is the winner, but what about unavoidable splash damage (and I believe that the situation will grow worse with it)? Even with my 1,7 def, 25k HP and in the Shield the ToS boss simply 1-shots me 9 out of 10 times (and though CWs indeed aren't supposed to tank, they draw a lot of aggro simply but overdamaging others).
    And in terms of 'what 4% of DR will give me' - it's roughly speaking +1(1,2)k defense (on top of the figure I already have) without the necessity to invest in it.

As for Recovery overstack - I don't see the problem. I didn't put any silvers in sockets, so, even with my HW my recovery is below 3k and I think I'd done with a couple of hundreds more.
  • umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    True its possible to not surpass the recovery cap but the sacrifice it takes its not worth the choice. For PvE at least I find the High Vizier set the best one by far. Done some dmg tests with it on dummies and people deal up to +30% dmg for a few secs after the HV set bonus procs (me included). It easily beats a few control bonus or action point gain.

Considering I almost always run with another mage, and that they almost all run with HV, Draconic set is really viable. 10% less cooldown for everybody within 50ft is a great boost too.
  • veshorokveshorok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    after double refinement weekend i got my orange BI cloak and since then i throw OF's and ice knives as mad.
    so far it's the best boost to my dmg/control and as the result to survivability as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    veshorok wrote: »
    after double refinement weekend i got my orange BI cloak and since then i throw OF's and ice knives as mad.
    so far it's the best boost to my dmg/control and as the result to survivability as well.

Thanks for your insight :)