test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what enchants in iouns stone or other companions?

reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
edited November 2014 in The Thieves' Den
I have a ioun stone as my usual companion, but I have no idea what to equip it with, so far I used mainly armor penetration and power for enchants, but I've heard about binding stones or something like that, how do these work? I've heard they give part of the pet's stats to the owne, but don't augment pets alredy do that?
So I would appreciate if someone could suggest what equipment and what stones to put for my ioun stone or other other non augment companions.
2e2qwj6.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Bonding runestones on an augment simply give power in offense and defense in defense slots, but they are a cheaper option for getting power than an Empowered runestone with equivalent numbers. That's why people like them. (At highest rank, they are more powerful than a rank 10 empowered too.)

Bonding runestones also have a special ability on summoned battle companions, but long story short, people use them on augments as a substitute for Empowered runes. If you're going to use a summoned companion though, they're great for turning it into a sort of mini-augment, and make the companion itself function better to boot.

I don't know what kind of companion you're considering using, which makes specific advice difficult.

For augments on TRs, I mostly use whatever runes make up gaps in stats from gear. Often this includes recovery. Eldritch for sure if there are defense slots. Rank 7 runes have become very cheap because of the companion kits in lockboxes.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • mirlegrismirlegris Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There is 7 types of ioun stone now, with few variations in stats, active bonus, equipment slots and runestones slots.

2 category : ioun stones with icon slot and defense runestone slot, and ioun stones with only offense runestones slot.

All stones give a maximum of about 4000-4500 pts ( base stats + stuff stats + enchants stats + runestones stats ) before mode 5.

With mod 5, there is a new profession, jewelcrafting, and rings/necks/belts with this profession, have 2 enchants slots : 1 Off, 1 Def.

So, depends of your ioun type.

I play with a blue Ioun stone of allure, with 2 bonding runestone in offensive slots ( 2x 300 power ) and a R8 Eldricht stone in defense slot. Ring, Neck and Icon equipments give me Power, Recovery and deflection, and enchants give me HP and deflection.

But, with the new profession, i think Cat or Black Ice Ioun Stone is a better option : defensive runestone slot for Eldricht Runestone, and equipment slots for new profession equipment ( with 2 enchants slots ).
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ah thanks a lot for the advice, I wasn't sure what bonding runestones effect was for augment companions. :) I think I might go for straight power for now in offensive.
    Although I might start using my non augment companions too, I have a purple imp and a blue battle dog, I like those better.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Bonding runestones would be a decent investment because you could switch them between your companions and get good use no matter what companion you have out, but it would be annoying if you switch companions a lot.

On a battle companion, I like to give them as much defense as possible, over hitpoints. I give life steal to ones that attack a lot and regeneration to ones that don't. I find them pretty durable this way, but they still usually won't survive an epic heroic encounter because they're no good at avoiding lethal AoE.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia