test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Tale from Baldur's Gate

xetmk24xetmk24 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Foundry Quest Database
Hello!

This will be a thread about my campaign - A Tale from Baldur's Gate. NWS-DUZSCMUJK @xetmk

A Tale from Baldur’s Gate is a campaign that pays tribute to one of my favorites CRPGs. Can you guess with one? Yes, Baldur’s Gate series was my first RPG experience and I loved every moment of it.
I adore party based RPGs but sadly there are fewer of them nowadays. Especially ones that are set in Forgotten Realms.
This is my clumsy attempt to remedy that. Give it a try you might enjoy it.

The story:
A man calling himself a Storyteller arrived at one of Neverwinter’s inns. He poses a unique gift; people who listens to his stories take active part in them and become their heroes. Reliving adventure that happened long ago.
You take on a role of a hero that lived in Baldur’s Gate, long before the Spellplague and only couple of years after the end of Times of Trouble. Lead the party of heroes as they face off against mysterious threat that slowly rises from the shadows.

Features:
Combat and story.
Party of heroes that you can talk with, flirt with, fight with and hate because they have a knockback attacks!
A story within a story!
Puzzles! – sometimes!
Lore – I think…
Plenty of references to Baldur’s Gate games!
Bad English grammar! – (hopefully you’ll be able to understand it) (If you can bare with reading this it shouldn’t be worst than that)

Quests are down below. They will be updated as I finish them:

Newest release - Celestial Stairway - NW-DLYL9WT6
Echo of the Ancient - NW-DT2ABLPD2 - The Wizards forces are pillaging ruins of the ancient, elven kingdom of Illefarn. In order to stop them, you need to lead your party through old, abandoned mines. But beware... you are not alone there...
Post edited by xetmk24 on

Comments

• xetmk24xetmk24 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Gathering Shadows - NW-DDUNG38UG
    The story begins.
    A strange army is massing close to the borders of Baldur’s Gate. Our heroes are sent to investigate and soon find themselves in the middle of orcs camp uncovering a plot of mysterious Followers.

Will be updated soon as I take another look on my quests.

Echo of the Ancients - NW-DT2ABLPD2
    The story continues. After stopping the Followers of the Three in the Orc’s Grounds, our heroes discovers their next plot. The Wizards forces are pillaging ruins of the ancient, elven kingdom of Illefarn. What secrets does the Followers want to steal from lost spirits of the realm former citizens?
    In order to stop them, you need to lead your party through old, abandoned mines. But beware… you are not alone there. Undead wonder collapsed corridors and strange, enchanting voice calls your name…

City in Flames - NW-DBO63ECED
    Baldur’s Gate is under attack by seemingly endless army of Followers. Lead your party through burning streets and collapsed buildings, protect your home town or see it destroyed! And discover what secret lies beneath!
    Echo of the Ancient - NW-DT2ABLPD2 - The Wizards forces are pillaging ruins of the ancient, elven kingdom of Illefarn. In order to stop them, you need to lead your party through old, abandoned mines. But beware... you are not alone there...
    edited October 2014
    New Release.
    Keep of Wisdom - NW-DN4HPBDHS

The siege of Baldur’s Gate had ended. It seems though that the Wizards got what they wanted – a mysterious orb.
    With the leader of Followers resisting interrogation Duke Eltan sends our heroes to Candlekeep to retrieve a Scroll that might help in the investigation. However something is wrong in the keep. Gates are close, no one can enter the inner chambers and the guards are behaving in a strange manner.
    Can you discover the source of this events? Can you save the Keep of Wisdom?

Duration may vary based on your choices.

Optional jumping puzzle and riddles.

More dialogue focused than combat but you can chose to fight i some places:
    Sidequest in Mages Guild - it should be hard but completing it will unlock some interaction later in the quest. There is a small arena in Candlekeep where you can earn some gold and information.

A part of the quest require you to gather rumors in Candlekeep; these rumors are items you pick up after finishing some conversations or perform some tasks.

You can loot some items like barrel - a small nod to old quest - they might hide a money-like items that work as currency in the quest. You can buy various items that will help you gather rumors.

It took a lot of work to put this all together. Hope you will like it.
    There might be some issues with some dialogues. I will fix them ASAP.

[IMG][/img]screenshot_2014-10-29-19-14-37_zps8aff2229.jpg

[IMG][/img]screenshot_2014-10-28-21-57-25_zps0623a322.jpg

[IMG][/img]1fef7cd7-b182-497b-8e66-6263cf00e152_zpsfeb0d578.jpg
    edited October 2014
    To do List:

Revisit older quests to update and fix them. First in line Gathering Shadows. Depends on how long this will take I might do others.

In the meantime I will build fifth part.

Part six quest(it is plan to be long so maybe will be in two parts)

Part seven.

Other parts that aren't thought out jet ;)
    edited October 2014
    Reserved for the future.
  • kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    New quest! Yay!

(But oh my gosh, what a long campaign you have planned!! Making me wait so long for the finale!)
    edited November 2014
    Hope you'll like it.
    Though I'm afraid not many people will ;) Next one will be more about combat and less about mysteries and collecting items.

Campaign will be long, at leas if I will have the time to make it long. We'll see.
    I'm away from my PC so I can't even check how is this quest doing but when I get back I'll work on it. Hoping for some feedback then.

Have fun.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The screenshots are looking pretty cool, you got me interested :D
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Fixed the bug preventing the quest from being finished.

You might be a little confused if you didn't played previous quests, reiwulf. There is a preciously on... segment though if you just want to play this one. It doesn't spoil the details.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I love your quests since I stumbled upon them.
    Yesterday, I did Echo of the Ancients - NW-DT2ABLPD2
    It is NOT dwarven friendly, the jumping bit with the spider webs for example and I couldn't talk to the stone golem, no matter how hard I tried jumping or climbing on his head, right before you encounter the wizard for the first time.
    All the rest went smooth and is very enjoyable as always.

I love Sidrii and her Vixx :)
    edited November 2014
    Glad you liked them Zagemogga.
    I assure you that any unfriendliness towards dwarfs wasn't intentional ;)
    No-one ever brought this up though. Can you send me PM with details about your problems with the webs? So I can fix it when I get to editing this quest.
    Thanks.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wow, that is a quick reply.

The only real quest-breaking thing was the stone golem, I couldn't talk to. It seemed there was some dialogue available (question mark on the head of the golem).
    Standing in front of the golem from any angle, I got "Out of sight".
    Jumping in front of the golem, for a fraction of a second I could interact and by hammering the F key I got the small window "interacting..." and when I landed it was gone again.
    So I tried climbing on the golem's head, but couldn't get a view from there either.

//edit: Oh oh, the next quest in the campaign:
    All fine and some tough fights, I had to stop playing unfortunately.
    When I had to enter the thieves guild, I didn't find the entry and instead puzzle-jumped in one corner over the wall, then fell through the ground and ended here: http://i.imgur.com/fzsPzSK.jpg
    Lots of times there were buildings hovering in the air or grass floating 2m over the ground anyway.
    I think you need to recheck the level design?

I just need to know if we saved Baldur's gate or not ;)
    edited November 2014
    The buildings are floating only on that level with the thieves guild?
    Yeah some people apparently have a problem with finding their way down in the guild building. I thought I managed to explain what you need to do there. Oh well need some other way to explain it.

(You just have to go to the next room to the right from where you are fighting the Father and down the stairs).

I have no idea how did you got where you ended up ;)
    Thanks.
  • jerrockojerrocko Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    xetmk24 wrote: »
    Hello!

This will be a thread about my campaign - A Tale from Baldur's Gate. NWS-DUZSCMUJK @xetmk

A Tale from Baldur’s Gate is a campaign that pays tribute to one of my favorites CRPGs. Can you guess with one? Yes, Baldur’s Gate series was my first RPG experience and I loved every moment of it.
    I adore party based RPGs but sadly there are fewer of them nowadays. Especially ones that are set in Forgotten Realms.
    This is my clumsy attempt to remedy that. Give it a try you might enjoy it.

The story:
    A man calling himself a Storyteller arrived at one of Neverwinter’s inns. He poses a unique gift; people who listens to his stories take active part in them and become their heroes. Reliving adventure that happened long ago.
    You take on a role of a hero that lived in Baldur’s Gate, long before the Spellplague and only couple of years after the end of Times of Trouble. Lead the party of heroes as they face off against mysterious threat that slowly rises from the shadows.

Features:
    Combat and story.
    Party of heroes that you can talk with, flirt with, fight with and hate because they have a knockback attacks!
    A story within a story!
    Puzzles! – sometimes!
    Lore – I think…
    Plenty of references to Baldur’s Gate games!
    Bad English grammar! – (hopefully you’ll be able to understand it) (If you can bare with reading this it shouldn’t be worst than that)

Quests are down below. They will be updated as I finish them:

Newest release - Keep of Wisdom - NW-DN4HPBDHS

Baldur's Gate was incredible fun. Magic Missile worked as it should back then, with more missiles at higher levels until it was one of the cheapest and most powerful spells around. No aiming needed, either, it was MAGIC-ly targeted.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
    edited November 2014
    Back home and I begun my work with improving Gathering Shadows.
    Some Screens of new Baldur's Gate Courtyard.

screenshot_2014-11-08-15-10-04_zps083dd5f1.jpg
    screenshot_2014-11-08-15-10-42_zps157ddbea.jpg
    screenshot_2014-11-08-15-10-57_zpsf796ab44.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Keep of Wisdom still needs some love ;)
    Everything works and you can finish the quest.
    Some more screens:
    Optional jumping puzzle:
    screenshot_2014-11-10-14-21-59_zps2de0c542.jpg
    Candlekeep inner chabers:
    screenshot_2014-11-10-14-18-35_zpsc9452929.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Hello!
    Been a while…

I recently returned to Neverwinter and finally finished my old project. Sort of…
    I’m planning to reedit my campaign A Tale from Baldur’s Gate. And I managed to do that for my first quest ever: Gathering Shadows NW-DDUNG38UG - it's Daily eligible.
    If you haven’t play it here’s your chance.
    If you did… What’s new?

Small fixes and changes to dialogues.
    Completely redesign Baldur’s Gate Courtyard map to fit my later Baldur’s Gate maps.
    New cave map, build from scratches.
    Hidden miniboss.
    Miniquest – can you find pages of mercenary’s journal?
    Foreshadowing!

New final boss fight! – beware the portal! - this one might be tricky. I hope that it's understandable what to do to make it easier.

Give it a go if you can. Hope you’ll like it.

Some Screens:
    screenshot_2015-01-27-16-32-49_zps907ef6f1.jpg
    screenshot_2015-01-27-16-49-59_zpsd2d043fc.jpg
    screenshot_2015-01-27-16-50-23_zps138d566f.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Thanks to the great wisdom of Cryptic, Gathering Shadows is either unpublished or broken.
    Thanks again for removing summoning portal! So my (and many other authors) boss fights are broken or god knows what happened to them.

Also Keep of Wisdom might not work as well since in one of "arena" fights I used summoning portal.

Thanks again Cryptic!
    edited January 2015
    "Fixed" Gathering Shadows... eh. Now the boss fight is pretty basic. Kill everyone, interact with objective instead of killing it and no powerful mob that constantly attack you if you didn't kill the portal...
    Thanks again Cryptic! You are doing great job! ;/

Also. Due to surprisingly long duration of this quest I added over-world map transitions to the Keep of Wisdom. You can now return to this quest when you have more time.
    edited February 2015
    Just tried gathering shadows, I loved every part of it, the beautiful maps, the immersive story, the party going with me at all times, it was just long enough to make me entertained and not so short to be left wanting more.
    I wish I could give you more than 500 AD as a tip, it was really great :D
    If I may ask, could you play my quest "the castle gates" and let me know what you think of it? I'd greatly appreciate it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for playing reiwulf! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    "not so short to be left wanting more" - hmm... not exactly a feeling I was going after since it's a campaign. I would love if people wanted to play more. Any ideas as to how to improve?

Also, finished Castle Gates and sent pm - in short great quest!

Also reedited Gathering Shadows final boss fight! Again! It's now how it was before just replaced Black portal with priest. Happy how it works now! A little preparation for a fight in part 5 ;)
    edited February 2015
    I meant, that in some quests I've played, they end just when I'm starting to really get immersed, so it's a bit disappointing. but in your quest It took a bit longer and really enjoyed it :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Ehh... So I decided to test some fights in my new quest. I published it, played it and then decided to delete it... It turned out that I didn't copy it... god... I am a moron.
    Now all of my almost finished chapter 5 is gone... <insert a lot of curse words here>
    I hate myself...
    edited February 2015
    oh, that sucks xetmk! I can only imagine how frustrated I would be :(
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Just sent support ticked and a message to Akromatik. If there is nothing they can do I'm taking a long break. God I'm stupid!
    edited February 2015
    Sadly support can't do anything about Foundry inquires. Campaign is on hiatus. For how long I don't now.
    Stupid day.
    edited February 2015
    I'm so sorry to hear that, I was hoping they could do something about it...
    I hope after a while you'll have the energy to continue doing it, we'll be waiting :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited February 2015
    I tried to rebuild the quest. Didn't work ;/ Everything was just not looking good. Need to rethink it.
    But in the mean time I decided to finish some other quest. A continuation to my Sharandar's Defense quest for the Cult Foundry contest.
    Maybe those five people who payed Defense will like it ;) Really like the maps I made.
    edited February 2015
    it is published yet? I'd gladly give it a try :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Not yet.
    Finishing dialogues. Should by up tomorrow or maybe even later today. I'll make a thread when it's up.
    edited February 2015
    Sure! I'll be waiting :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg