test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Xim´s Build: Overload Archer of the Pack

ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2015 in The Wilds
This is a high DPS Stormwarden archer PVE build revolving around the smart use of red glyphs (which were recently buffed) with damage layering of ticking/dot spells and building for more combat advantage damage for aspect of the pack, through boon, artifacts and companion choices. which imho is one of the best class features as it provides a reliable very big dps buff not only to you but to the group.

warning This is a late game/end game bild as it requires a good ammount of farming to get the reqired pieces and AD to polish. Plus its expensive to mantain due to having to constantly feeding black ice to keep the set at t3 + the constant supply of glyphs. Due to that i wouldnt recomend using the gear fulltime, for daily farming and have a second set for that (with dragonhoards preferably). You can also use cheaper overload enchantments like whites or blacks if u dont feel like spending so much everytime

Feats

zMeR6Kp.jpg

Btw: im human so i have extra heroics.

Gear

BI corrputed is my set of choice due to its high power ( and stats), overload sockets and a good set bonus that further increases our power and gives a ms boost to help with positioning. We will easily balance the stats through boons and jewelry and artifacts.

Basically the set lacks arp and ls, both of which can be added through boons and artefacts (or jewelry). Since the set has sooo much defense u can just use darks on defensive slots for the ls balancing.

My gear:

gXIko1r.jpg

I actually just have the artifacts i have been able to get my hands on, but someday i have the intention o switching the pvp one for kessels spheres, which besides giving extra power will give me the arp to switch ammys and most important give me more combat advantage damage.

I chose the belt of wisdom for several reasons, first was price XD.... and then it was giving me stats i was not soft/hard capping yet. Then there is the fact that the extra crit comes very handy with my extra as i play closer range thus not getting the exra crit from the feat in many moments. Also with the extra severity that extra crit chance meant basically the same dps increase than dex.

Basic stat objectives:

crit: 2.7k - 3.3k
arp: as much as u need to hit 24% dri depending on ur str roll.
recovery: 2.3k - 3k ( for faster cooldowns so u have very little Tw/sts downtime)
power: as much as u can get.

defense: get it high, but it just happens with the set
ls: at least around 1.2k

My stats:

XwOeQNt.jpg

Enchantments:

Offense : Radiants (im using R9s)
Defense: Radiants (im using mix of R8s and R9s)
Weapon: Perfect Vorpal
Armour: Soulforged

Boons

Ma4XSAs.jpg
Post edited by ximae on

Comments

• ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Companions

Get your Stone of choice then blink dog and intellect devourer for the ca bonus. I also use Wild hunt raider and Eerinee of bellial. Those are the best pet choices imho.

ikiGxHF.jpg

Playstyle

Basically revolves around staying close to your group to get/grant combat advantage through aspect of the pack. Positioning is important, try to stay within 20 feet from most of your group as possible and at the same time try to stay 25 feet away from mobs to get the crit bonus from the feat, but with good crit rating it sometimes can be worth loosing the bonus to buff everyones dps. As for those built for ca damage the buff can be quite big.

check out the CA mechanics here:

http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/382-kaelac%E2%80%99s-guide-to-damage-tenacity-reisistance-and-debuffs-in-neverwinter/

So basically im getting the following CA advantage damage bonus:

non crits: 1.15 (base ca) * 1.04 (cha) * 1.095 (ca stat) * 1.05 (blink dog)* 1.05 (int dev) = 1.44 or 44%

crits : severity = 1+ 0.9 (my base) + 0.5 ( Pvorp) + 0.15 (sotf feat) = 1.55 +

ca severity = 0.15 (base ca) + 0.04 (cha) + 0.095 (ca stat) = 0.285

= 1,835 * 1.05 (Blink) * 1.05 ( int dev) = 2,023 which / 1.55 = 1.305 or 30.5%

With good defense, ls and endless consumption dont be afraid to facetank specially if u have ur tick spells hitting. exception would be big/slow hitting bosses elites which are just easy to shift into, and i say into because its preferable to keep them in place under the roa than having them mooving around out of it.

Rotations

main:

atwills: split shot, rapid shot.
    encounters: rain of arrows, thron ward, split the sky (fox cunning)
    dailies: seismic shot,forest ghost (disruptive)
    class features: twin blade storm, aspect of the pack

use split the sky or fox depending on group composition, if there is alot of cc then sts becomes a bit more useless except for the melee dps buff. If u need to be able to facetank better on some bosses/encounters use fox, cycling cunnings free dodge and shifts inmunity frame.

dont be afraid to use rain of swords specially with bunched up mobs as paired with red glyphs it does some pretty good dmg, each tick grants u a glyph tick and it has no target cap.

Single target:

atwills: rapid shot, aimed shot
    encounters: rain of arrows, thorn ward, split the sky (fox or comanding)
    dailies: seismic shot, disruptive shot.
    class features: aspect of the pack, one of choice

the third encounter will depend on whats needed for the fight, throw caution is the best personal dps enhancer, comanding is a group dps enhancer, though u might need foxs dodges or maybe marauders for mobility dependng on the fight.

Extras

Vid of a vt run: http://youtu.be/AzP0qtkFUSI

its just a lfg pug group and not even a great one at that but we had a sing happy cw thus it allows to showcase some of the glyph goodness, and playstyle.

Parse of the run:

Check out how much damage aspect of the flame (red glyphs) add up.... 9%, thats pretty big

ouYzPen.jpg

Vid of eLoL run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9sC28fOF3g

eLoL runs:

these 2 are with a well known Bis GWF and a pretty good SW, Also adding parse of second run and single target one of a run after the gwf left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dFoXLSAfdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xYpXs4LIlQ

6qR6hk0.jpg

ESSdRJW.jpg
  • j3ttruebowj3ttruebow Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Im really curious about this build as currently im using pvp combat profound and perfect lughtning legendary weapon and 6.8k power 24% arp and 39% crit with 77% severity and still find myself trailing op cws in dungeons.

Im curious though how the black ice is. What if i dont feed it black ice will it stay tier 2? Really interested in it but having qualms anout a set i need to keep on feeding
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nice build Ximae. Thanks for going through all the effort :) A few questions: I see you pumped all five points into Predatory Action instead of Swift Footwork. You have no problems with stamina at all? Also three points in Agile Combatant. You switch stances that often?
    ximae wrote: »
    Get your Stone of choice then blink dog and intellect devourer for the ca bonus. I also use Wild hunt raider and Eerinee of bellial. Those are the best pet choices imho.

I would say that Fire Archon beats Wild Hunt Rider hands down. I don't have access to Erinyes of Belial so I purchased the Dancing Blade. I'm running with the Hunting Hawk currently but will most likely switch to the Blink Dog.
    j3ttruebow wrote: »
    Im really curious about this build as currently im using pvp combat profound and perfect lughtning legendary weapon and 6.8k power 24% arp and 39% crit with 77% severity and still find myself trailing op cws in dungeons.

Im curious though how the black ice is. What if i dont feed it black ice will it stay tier 2? Really interested in it but having qualms anout a set i need to keep on feeding

Corrupted and Purified Black Ice gear (helm, armor, gloves and boots) all start as T2 once crafted and can be boosted to T3, but will fall to T1 eventually, although it's around seven hours to deplete from T3 to T2 - more if you keep applying the salve.

CWs will likely still out-dps you in pre-Mod 4 content, we really shine against single targets. A CW shouldn't be beating you in eLoL unless they greatly outgear you.

OT: I ran a normal Shores of Tuern this morning and when we got to the ambush part, I looked at the charts to see a SW topping Paingiver with over 2 million damage. It was so OP that I got disconnected :P
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    edited October 2014
    @truebow

yeah u need to empower it to get to t3, and then keep feeding it black ice to keep it there if not it could go down even to t1. But with the salves u get penty playtime out of it. Basically i think u need something like 750 black ice for every 2hrs of combat time. So it bascially forces you to do some iwd stuff to keep black ice supplies, but not that much. Basically doing one kessels retreat and the tavern daily per every 4hs of dungeoning is enough. and u also have the weekly mission for extra bi.

With this build i keep up with cws dps except in very cw favoured instances like cn. It also depends on how they run if they herd a ton of stuff and then abuse their target caps its hard to keep up even if u cut the difference in the bosses.

@lirithel

I dont have much trouble with stamina if i dont waste it, i took elven resolve boon and have almost 900 stamina stat. As for the agile combatant feat, u really just need to quickly double tab to get the boost... but yeah i tend to switch stances often enough for throw caution and rain of swords, or fox shift if im using it. Not constantly getting the boost, but whene ever it kicks in its welcome.

I actually removed fire archon from my active companions for the intellect devourer but i think wild hunt raider at epic is better it procs a ton with roa and tw, I could possibly test it though.... as it was my first epic companion purchase, like a year ago. Fire archon could be better for bosses though as they will stay under 30% life longer.
    edited October 2014
    If you had to pick between the two, which of Blink Dog or Intellect Devourer would be better for CA? I'm one of the unlucky ones who ran ran the skirmish 100's of times during the event without getting my hands on an Intellect Devourer.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nice Archer Team support build. By Vid I do see that you utilize Combat Advantage to max. At the same time I see that you have issues with defense and low HP pool sometimes? Have you done eLol or eSot? How do you feel there with those mobs?
    edited October 2014
    @lirithiel

They do exactly the same as active companion slots (5% to ca damage) so id go blink dog since its way cheaper and u can even farm it in celadine (i got mine ages ago there). I had to pay my intellect devourer though, and it cost me near 300k (vs some 40k of blink dog) so i think its an easy decision if u just want one of them.

@ thedamien

yeah good teamsupport (in the way of a buff) but its also greedy for my dps since the buff to myself is huge since im built around it. I get 36% dmg buff on non crits. If i get a kessels artifact and reroll to combat advantage stat on the artifact offhand when it comes out it will be around 43% dmg + 2% per ally, which is quite a huge buff. It could be taken even further with better initial ability rolls, but what ever, this hr is from mod 2 so i didnt think about that back then Xd.

I think if this build got popular people would be more interested in having at least one hr per group as ur getting a good dpser, awsome single target at that, thats adding a great buff to the party.

Well my defense is pretty fine 33% dr but my hp pool is a bit on the low side (just under 24k) but with endless consumption and decent ls i have no trouble at all ( u can see me just taking hits and not even trying to avoid them coz i know ill heal back up quickly)... just some big spikes that might actually get me from 100% to 0. Those from big hits arent so much of an issue as they are easy to avoid, getting struck by 20 ranged mobs at once is problematic though XD.... but i think its the same for everyone except tanks.

Yeah i do a lot of elol and esot, ive got no more problem than any of the other squishies as stuff here hits too hard to compensate with stats XD. **** hits hard and i cant really facetank groups of mobs, but the only stuff that oneshots me is the slow attacks from the archers, gwf or golems.... and well bosses. With a dc of gf not even those one shot me. What i do there in the bosses is use fox for the inmunity frames or just shift for the big hits in the trash zones.

I can actually tank/kite one of the scorpions with that. just moove/shift out of the slow attacks and have either cunning or shift ready for the quick claw attack..... like in esot boss for the palm one shot, since they also follow a similar pattern.

I actually want t upload a elol run when i have time. i do think i have one with a previous setup though.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    @lirithiel
    of them.

@ thedemien

Yeah i do a lot of elol and esot, ive got no more problem than any of the other squishies as stuff here hits too hard to compensate with stats XD. **** hits hard and i cant really facetank groups of mobs, but the only stuff that oneshots me is the slow attacks from the archers, gwf or golems.... and well bosses. With a dc of gf not even those one shot me. What i do there in the bosses is use fox for the inmunity frames or just shift for the big hits in the trash zones.

I can actually tank/kite one of the scorpions with that. just moove/shift out of the slow attacks and have either cunning or shift ready for the quick claw attack..... like in esot boss for the palm one shot, since they also follow a similar pattern.

I actually want t upload a elol run when i have time. i do think i have one with a previous setup though.

I had to respect my combat HR into more defence/deflect build just to handle pack of mods. Cause otherwise even 2 not major hit was a dead call to me. Build is nice in general. I might try this specs on new trapper with some tweaks. Might work i hope if user more synergy for switch stances and middle range combat.
    edited October 2014
    This with Trapper could be pretty good too. Easier on the positioning as u dont have to try to sweetspot the position for maximum gain and will buff melee allies better.

Thing is if new trapper is on par with archer dpswise due to the tree feats, havent tested it but old one i did and it wasnt, specially single target. Lots of fun though.

There is two major decisions to make with trapper, one to take the extended duration roots or not. taking it will mean even more support and With red glyphs it will actually be more dps to extend the dot, so more sustained but at the cost of burst dmg.

second is the rotation in relation to the above feat. With extended roots its probably not worth it to use more than one strong root spell as dmg doesnt overlap with the dots, and using more means dropping tw or roa (major dps encounters)..... this is the tough one.

Ill have to copy my toon again to preview and test it too...
    edited October 2014
    They do exactly the same as active companion slots (5% to ca damage) so id go blink dog since its way cheaper and u can even farm it in celadine (i got mine ages ago there). I had to pay my intellect devourer though, and it cost me near 300k (vs some 40k of blink dog) so i think its an easy decision if u just want one of them.

Really? The active bonuses for the two companions are worded differently, though, which is why I asked. So they are identical, okay noted. I'll stick with my Blink Dog then.

Ximae, you mentioned that CA is denoted by the blue circle below a character, but I saw plenty times last night that I wasn't getting the buff even though the blue circle appeared underneath me and certain party members. Are you sure about this?
    Our pain is self chosen.

edited October 2014
    lirithiel wrote: »
    Really? The active bonuses for the two companions are worded differently, though, which is why I asked. So they are identical, okay noted. I'll stick with my Blink Dog then.

Ximae, you mentioned that CA is denoted by the blue circle below a character, but I saw plenty times last night that I wasn't getting the buff even though the blue circle appeared underneath me and certain party members. Are you sure about this?

I hadnt even noticed they were worded different, not that i trust this games tooltips much anyways. Im basing that affirmation on kaelacs guide which calculates both the same for the ca damage formula.

Forget what i said about the blue circle under out toons that was a wrong assumption on my part, it seemed to disapear when toons got further away but it seems to be some graphics issue as sometimes it renders it on toons further away and sometinmes it doesnt. The monsters blue circle would be the indicator, as when aop is active ull see all of them with the blue circle.... but even this seems to sometimes glitch too graphically.... like seeing combat advantage dmg and not seeing the blue circle on them.

What we really need is a buff icon for it like the rest of class features or feats. One that actually shows on our allys too so they can help with the positioning too.
    edited October 2014
    Ok,

as a starters ive added an eLoL run vid, didnt parse this though as i was having some problems with act at the moment.

eLoL vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9sC28fOF3g

I have also tweaked my build a little further, bought a a blue lantern of revelation ( sooo much cheaper than the kessels i had in mind) and with all the rp i had stored up + a few more peridot packs i bought (so cheap now) i got it past epic.... and then dumped my crystal skull into it. So its actually lvl 85 now.

With that change i swapped my excorcist ammys for my fugitives ones to get back the recovery.

Gained: 300 crit rating -> 0.8% crit chance ( this is mostly in advance for the artifact offhand which has no crit)
    100 recovery -> 0.4% rsi and ap gain..... not much.
    320 combat advantage stat -> 3.1% extra dmg in ca (this was the main reason)

Lost: 60 arp -> but still over 18% dri so my 16 str still > 24%
    300 regen -> dont care about it anyways
    220 stamina stat -> 0.7% stamina gain. I was already hitting dim returns with that stat anyways.

Now at 40% ca damage.....Happy :D
    edited October 2014
    Dammit now I wish I hadn't dumped my lvl 76 Lantern into my Vanguard Banner :( With the Royal Guard set I so didn't need the ArP which I could sort of do with now. Plus it has the CA stat on it. Choices choices.

Btw what gear is equipped on your Ioun Stone? Most ppl never point that out.
    Our pain is self chosen.

edited October 2014
    you can actually see the gear equiped on the stone in my companion pic,captured with stone selected on purpose for that. Just switched excorcist ammy for fugitives though.
    edited November 2014
    Just updated pics with current gear/stats after the artifact switch.

Aso, i have bee trying the new trapper in preview, its pretty cool nd could work well with this sort of setup (havent done dungeons so no clue dps wise). Only shame is that the throned roots dont proc red glyphs :(..... So id day no extra duration thorns is better.
    edited November 2014
    Weeeee. I got my hands on a Lantern of Revelation yesterday, only green but managed to get it up to lvl 70 at least :) Plugged my lvl 70 Waters into Eye of Lathander, taking it to 89. I'm liking this new CA playstyle. Been doing a lot of VT runs and I can see an improvement. Just a pity that armor isn't showing up in the chest at the end :(
    Our pain is self chosen.

edited November 2014
    Im glad ur enjoying the playstyle. Its very effective towards ur dps and rest of the teams (or who ever is not a prick in his positioning XD)....

But i also find it fun in the sense that it is more challenging to find optimal positioning trying to buff the most ammount of people while keeping ur best dps (sotf + good angles) than just staying 70-80 feet behind and spamming splitshots after uve dropped all the auto dps encounters.
    edited November 2014
    Indeed. I find playing the sit-back Archer style very boring these days, which is partly why I moved to the CA play style. It basically makes you even more aware of your surroundings and not just tunnel visioning the boss/mobs.

Been contemplating ability scores reroll to cut down on my Strength, which is currently 16. Ideally I'd like to finish up on 14 but that isn't possible apparently without <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up my other stats. There is only one option with 12 Str and then it means going with 18 Dex and 18 Wis and 10's for the rest - not ideal. Also I cannot select higher Charisma than 11 without it affecting Dexterity or Wisdom. Wish there were more variables to choose from. I may also end up with the Wisdom artifact belt for the extra crit.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Using 2 Reds will give you permanent +800 ArP. Don't bother going for unnecessary amounts of ArP over the cap.
    edited November 2014
    @ lirithel, yeah the initial ability allocations system sucks. ive banged my head against it already too much. Whish they changed it to a fixed ammount of points u can distribute as you want.

@magiquepurse, well its 2/3s uptime really (40 sec out of 60) so i think getting the 24% dri for those in the boss fights (only matters here) is usefull, I agree that for trash packs between walktimes the glyphs are up mostly 100% but u dont need 24% dri there anyways. besides if i have my arp sorted i can also use other glyphs if im being cheap, without <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> my dri.

I have been toying in preview with the artifact offhand..... 1100 ca bonus there :D

O73SNIH.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Using 2 Red Glyphs of the same kind gives me 100% uptime. The buff never disappears as long as I keep attacking stuff. Prety much all PvP CWs I know can play with around 1600 ArP solely because of this reason, as our gearing options with Purified set aren't that good ArP-wise.

How was Royal Guard for this build? Should allow you to spam you encounters, stacking RoA for huge amounts of damage and such. Was even better when you could stack 3-4 thorn ward as well lol.
    edited November 2014
    Using 2 Red Glyphs of the same kind gives me 100% uptime. The buff never disappears as long as I keep attacking stuff. Prety much all PvP CWs I know can play with around 1600 ArP solely because of this reason, as our gearing options with Purified set aren't that good ArP-wise.

How was Royal Guard for this build? Should allow you to spam you encounters, stacking RoA for huge amounts of damage and such. Was even better when you could stack 3-4 thorn ward as well lol.

I havent actually kept an eye on the buff for 100% uptime, assuming it activates as per tooltipand when i see the extra damage ticks form the glyphs. But im not stacking arp anyways it just comes with the standard gear (set + weapons) + boons and well all ca artifacts have arp. But like i said this way i can also use other glyphs if im feeling cheap and dont want to use the more "expensive" red ones.

Im not too fond of royal guard, arp goes crazy high so its wasted stats and has 0 crit + it doesnt seem to proc that much with vorpal instead of plaguefire, i do my spamming with my 55% rsi which is enough for 100% uptime with sts and TW. more rain would be welcome still have 4 sec inbetween roas, but not sure how it equates dps wise compared to harder hitting rain through severity and power with a glyph tick per roa tick. RG would mean no glyphs too. Honestly i have never seen a rg hr get close to me dpswise.

When we could stack TWs we didnt need RG we had prime critical XD.
    edited November 2014
    When we could stack TWs we didnt need RG we had prime critical XD.

RG made it even better lol. Those were the days though.
    edited November 2014
    yeah i know the days i used gw/dl then though, more crit for more prime critical proccing and less uneeded arp. paired with stormstep/disruptive i didnt feel i needed more cd reduction as every stance cycle already had my other stances ready.

which reminds me of the most insane cd reduction we had, bugged stromstep with forest ghost when every hit while in ghost would reduce the 2 secs the cds. U could basically lay down 3 roas, 3 tws and 3 fox shifts in one forest ghost cast.... that was trully insane..... shame it got nerfed XD
  • kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    hello , nice build.
    wouldn't it be even great with a charisma belt instead of the wisdom one ? ^^
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Bought an Intellect Predator this morning! Will work on this for my Trapper.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    edited November 2014
    @kaedennn

I wouldnt take cha belt mainly because of how ca damage is calculated with crits, the bonus for cha stat is calculated as if it was extra severity, so its inferior to raw damage from dex or more sustained damage from extra crit chance from wis.

I think its the weakest of the choices.

@gabrieldourden

you mean intellect devourer i guess _(suppose its a translation issue). Yeah It will work out great, specially if u upgrade it. Blink dog and intellect devourer are best ca boosts as they are multiplicative with all the crit severity on crits.
  • kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    @kaedennn

I wouldnt take cha belt mainly because of how ca damage is calculated with crits, the bonus for cha stat is calculated as if it was extra severity, so its inferior to raw damage from dex or more sustained damage from extra crit chance from wis.

OH , so 5% dmg from charisma doesn't equal 5% from blink dog ? o.O
    edited November 2014
    In non crits yes, as they are all multiplicative.... in crits no.

say you have an extra 5% dmg from cha, 5% dmg from ca stat and an epic blink dog, with a P vorpal.

for non crits = 1.15 (base ca) * 1.05 * 1.05 * 1.05 = 1.33 or 33%

for crits = 1 + ( 0.75 (base severity) + 0.5 (pvorp) + 0.15 (base ca) + 0.05 (cha) + 0.05 (ca stat)) * 1.05 (blink dog) = 2.625 or 162,5%

but without ca ur crits do = 2.25 so...... 2.625/2.25 = 1,166 or just 16,6% extra damage from a non ca crit.

edit: corrected
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    @kaedennn

@gabrieldourden

you mean intellect devourer i guess _(suppose its a translation issue). Yeah It will work out great, specially if u upgrade it. Blink dog and intellect devourer are best ca boosts as they are multiplicative with all the crit severity on crits.

You´re right, translation in italian is a little misleading. I already had a lvl 20 Blink Dog so now I need only AD to upgrade them....
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80