test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The reason why RNG doesn't work

kc3ikc3i Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
The reason why RNG doesn't work (in my opinion)

I will try explain as simple as I can why RNG (Random Number Generator) doesn't work in ithis game.
First of all let me show you the difference between True RNG and Pseudo RNG:
True RNG (not used by computers):
Each roll is autonomous without any correlation with previous roll, you can acheive this by rolling diece or flipping coin. A physical random number generator can be based on an essentially random atomic or subatomic physical phenomenon whose unpredictability can be traced to the laws of quantum mechanics.
Pseudo RNG (used by computers):
Algorithm that can automatically create long runs of numbers with good random properties. One of the most common PRNG (Pseudo RNG) is the linear congruential generator, which uses recurrence. Simply saying it's the equation that produce new roll based on previous roll and mathematic formula. The first roll called seed is generated (randomized) in most cases by using computer clock miliseconds.

The most important feature of RNG is uniform distibution - an example if you roll many values from 0 to 100 ther is equal probability of rolling each value.

So where is the catch?
1) Uniform distribution of Pseudo RNG only works if RNG is used to one purpose eg. calculating crit or drop or deflect. If one RNG is used for drop chance and crit and deflect you can virtually never seen any drop because rolls that can give you a drop were used for crit rolls. I suppose that ther isn't even one RNG per player, rather one per instance (per server thread or something like that). Only True RNG can be used for all purposes without any limitations but in programming we got only Pseudo RNG.
2) Imagine the situation that ther's one RNG per player that gates only his IWD mainhand drop with chance of 1% (in my opinon it should be done that way). 1% chance works correctly only if RNG state would be saved in player account, saving RNG state gives you certainty that you get your drop soooner or later because RNG equation MUST finally roll your number (it's only math equation so more times you try more chance you get).

Conclusion:
1) There should be separate RNG's per player per each game feature (crit, deflect, lifesteal, etc.)
2) There should be separate RNG's per player per each rare drop and those RNG's states should be saved. After drop adequate RNG shoud be reset by randomizing it's seed.

Without above even 1% drop chance transfers into 0.000(any number of 0 you want)1% so it's pure luck not Pseudo RNG.
Post edited by kc3i on

Comments

• vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There are technical difficulties implemanting what you're suggesting. RNGs are seeded per server start and/or init of something on the server (ie instance). Your implemination will need a seed per action for each player and the last roll would need to be saved offline (ie stored in a dabatase on the server - cant be stored in client files due to exploites) or seeded on each login. This is far more complex than it looks. Sorry but my best guess - this won't happen.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It is funny that with these insanely low drop rates, players have STILL managed to out level the content by such a significant amount that every dungeon requires little to no coordination, little to know idea what to even do. Dorothy had more trouble following the yellow brick road.

As such, I don't think they will do anything to make it easier to get the good equipment. They have come to the conclusion that low drop rates make people run the existing content more often, and therefore the additional content they need comes from repeating the dungeon over and over and over.

Not sure why they don't add tokens to the HE drop tables that can be used to buy the drop you want eventually. NOBODY should have to kill a dragon 1000 times just to get the item they want.
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    RNG is working, but many thing you expect to be random are actually not so random.
    Because of that you think RNG is responsible - not really - random number is random number, what they do with it before you get end result is what makes it look so unfair :)
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well it is true that since computers are finite machines, there is no such thing as a truly random number generator. And you do have to go to some pretty extreme lengths in order to get a computer to get numbers that really look random over a long period of time, and I doubt Cryptic has implemented these really extreme RNG algorithms. So we have pseudo-random numbers that do follow some pattern, but honestly, that is quibbling over small details. For all intents and purposes the numbers might as well be random.
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you guys really believe their RNG is working take a look at this link below.

http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Wi_Flag

There are SO many ways it can be broken that without proper testing there is no way I'm willing to believe there aren't issues. From my observations it's way too streaky. To me that implies issues with their usage. The DD chest bug is just one illustration of broken usage of RNG.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kc3i wrote: »
    The reason why RNG doesn't work (in my opinion)

So where is the catch?
    1) Uniform distribution of Pseudo RNG only works if RNG is used to one purpose eg. calculating crit or drop or deflect. If one RNG is used for drop chance and crit and deflect you can virtually never seen any drop because rolls that can give you a drop were used for crit rolls. I suppose that ther isn't even one RNG per player, rather one per instance (per server thread or something like that). Only True RNG can be used for all purposes without any limitations but in programming we got only Pseudo RNG.

Um...no. PRNG doesn't matter if it's being used for one or ten thousand purposes. Since those purposes occur at random times based on user pressing keys there is no "ordering" of random values. If you ALWAYS had a drop roll, followed by a crit roll, followed by a mob to-hit roll, in that order for every single PRNG roll, then maybe you'd see some possible non-uniformity. But, still extremely, extremely unlikely.

Without knowing which PRNG algorithm is being used, there is no way to determine it's quality.
    Many, many applications make use of the Mersenne Twister:
    The 1997 invention of the Mersenne twister, in particular, avoided many of the problems with earlier generators. The Mersenne Twister has a period of 219937−1 iterations (≈4.3×106001), is proven to be equidistributed in (up to) 623 dimensions (for 32-bit values), and at the time of its introduction was running faster than other statistically reasonable generators. (from Wikipedia:PRNG)

Although, due to it's "slowness" I doubt it is what they actually use -- more likely some other PRNG available online somewhere. Without knowing which one they are using, makes all this PRNG discussion virtually irrelevant.

For all we know, they could be using a True RNG (Hardware)
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i don't want the best gear in a quick and easy way because then, once i have it, i might as well go find something else to play. there's no reason to keep playing. so RNG, however it is incorporated here, is important. it works unless you have an overgrown sense of entitlement.
  • vascodergamervascodergamer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ashnvf wrote: »
    If you guys really believe their RNG is working take a look at this link below.
    http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Wi_Flag

That is a very fascinating read! And it feels exactly like the luck behaves on my chars: some always have bad luck, some always have good luck and the (good or bad) luck seems to stick on the chars, whatever I do.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There are things thatll effect RNG actually, behind the scene things; like that link and such things as seeding.

Something Ive noticed of late. It may be complete observational bias. But, If youve ever run a dungeon (not a skirm, I play by different rules depending on what im doing) with me, I will pass on almost everything, green, blue, purple on 1st 2nd boss, etc. Until the last boss. Last few runs Ive seen I will pass on it all like I do and Ill greed on 1 thing in the final loot drop from final boss. (last 2 things were MoP and GMoP); I won them both, Ive been doing this for sometime now and seem to win most I greed when I pass on everything else. Its wierd may be complete RNG or observational bias. Please dont do this, I would like to win what I greed on :) Also Ive noticed when running SoT when DD is up, Im sure less are running SoT, but its common for me to go on one of those streaks where I get like gems/purple items/glyphs 6-9 times in a row etc outta the chest. IDK if maybe there are global CDs and timers, or again if total RNG.

Just random stuff I noticed lately. Probably observational bias. Please keep greeding on all people, I need more testing.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you could fold in players calling a PRNG in any systematic fashion and mess up a PRNG, it wouldn't be a good PRNG. That said, game companies are notorious for using really bad PRNGs =)~

The link wasn't about PRNGs it was about mis-using a number random number between 0 and 1. In that link they could have had a random number generator based on the decay of an atom nucleus and they still would have messed up their code.

That is a logic error, and that is always possible. Period. Full stop. It means that devs should be diligent, but that has nothing to do with the distribution of numbers in their random number generator.
  • tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i don't want the best gear in a quick and easy way because then, once i have it, i might as well go find something else to play. there's no reason to keep playing. so RNG, however it is incorporated here, is important. it works unless you have an overgrown sense of entitlement.

I agree that gear should not be easily obtainable, but I disagree that RNG should be the gate keeper.

I would be fine if the dungeon is hard, and I can't complete it, and therefore I can't get the drop. I am totally fine with that. That motivates me to become better, to spend more time and play the game.

But when the dungeon is easily done in 15 minutes, yet run after runs I don't even see the shadow of the item I am looking for, it gets very tiring.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just have to bring up the pain of RNG as the next CTA rolls in....
  • mrmauveforummrmauveforum Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just remember, even with a 1% chance at success, you'll still go 100 tries without success about 36% of the time, statistically. That's not to say that there's NOT something weird going on with drops (such as an internal timer meant to gate the output of rare items into the community), but just because you've done something 100 times doesn't mean that you're entitled to the item from an RNG.

Also remember that the drop rates are likely less than 1%, anyway.
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm not sure the OPs exact logic is correct, but it is absolutely true that pseudorandom generation done without special care will lead to some people having a ZERO chance (instead of a low chance) of some events happening. This is because the set made by ps generation is a deterministic set, and it is impossible for it to work out the same for all players (by naive number rolling). So for example, if drop rate is implemented by actually checking a (ps)random number every drop, it may guarantee that some players cannot ever get a drop.
    This is sort of like aliasing in the statistics; the average can still be n% over the entire poplulation, but some players at the 'edge' will actually sit at zero.
  • mrmauveforummrmauveforum Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Could you clarify that? I'm unsure how it's true that anyone gets a 0% chance from a RNG, even a PRNG, if the RNG is not set at 0%.
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Could you clarify that? I'm unsure how it's true that anyone gets a 0% chance from a RNG, even a PRNG, if the RNG is not set at 0%.

Here is a super simplified explanation so you can get the gist of it.
    Because the generator is pseudo random, the random function maps to a fixed set of predetermined numbers. Because it is supposed to appear random, the distribution of the numbers isnt like {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}, or even {9,1,5,2,3,6,7,4,2}, but more like {9,7,8,9,2,3,7,6,4}, that is some possibilities appear more than once, but the cost is that some possibilities are removed. The set of possibilities is different for each player, so for most players this set will include a mix of everything, and the overall average for everyone will be close to the correct %. But some unlucky players might get a sequence like in the last example: the '1' can never come up, so if a '1' is needed, the people who's set of numbers don't include '1' have no chance of ever getting '1'.

The actual math is more complicated, and the exact chances depend on how the generator works, how it is seeded, and how it is called.