test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best settings

s3gm3nts3gm3nt Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited October 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hi all, first off sorry for bad english and sorry if i posted in the wrong section. I'm a returning player trying to get a little enjoyment out of the game but i can't. I have bad fps in town, somewhere around 18-20 with huge fps drops. in dungeons i get around 55-60 fps. I rou everything on min for the best gameplay experience but honestly it looks horrendous. My sys specs are: Amd Athlon 64 X2 5000+, nVidia Geforce GT 640 1 Gb DDR3, 3 Gb RAM DDR2 800 gHz, HDD 1 TB 7200 RPM Win 7 ultimate x86. I know the system is old but game debate says i can handle the game at recommended requierments. So how can i make the game look a little better without affecting the fps? I had 2 lvl 60 chars, one dating all the way from open beta(they been deleted now, dont know why but thats another story) and whenever i played gountlegrim Pvp it lagged like crazy. I can't keep everything on min cuz it just looks too bad. Any tips? I disabled on demand patching, postprecessing, soft particles, dynamic lighting, ful character animation and full something....Someone said wnable dx11. Can that help?
Post edited by s3gm3nt on

Comments

• galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hello,

Welcome back, seeing how you have NVidia you might check this sight out.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/neverwinter-graphics-and-performance-guide#1

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why in blazes are you running windows 7 with only 3 GB of system ram? Sure it'll run the OS, but not much else. At least not without lag.

Your video card is actually better than mine and I get better performance in game than you do.

My advice to you is to double your ram. Preferably I'd like to see it around 8 GB. Also, to take advantage of the ram you'd need to change your OS to Windows 7 X64 as X86 can only utilize 4 GB of ram. Your processor is old, but should be ok enough to handle most current games as to replace it you are basically building a new computer at this point (the best your motherboard will most likely support is a 6000+ which is a 15 to 20% boost to processor power at best, and completely not worth the money you'd have to spend to get one).

So I guess unless you're really good with computers my idea probably can't be done by you.

Also, try reducing "max physics objects" in your graphics settings to around 100. In my experiences that's the single most taxing setting this game has and it won't change automatically below 300 (max) with the preset sliders at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OP: Here's what I suggest:

1. Start by closing all programs except for ARC (if you use it) and Neverwinter itself.

2. Turn all settings to their lowest (except for screen resolution - leave that at your monitor's native resolution).

3, First turn *just* lighting up to its highest and see how the game runs. If it's good, then slowly go through each additional setting until performance starts to dip too much.

4. Some graphics cards actually perform lower if antialaising is *not* turned on - so try setting that to 2X and see how it goes.

A few settings that I find really tax the system:

A. Physics/Debris - this can take a hefty toll on a system, so I tend to keep it low or turn it off entirely.

B. Shadows - stick to 'low' or 'off' if you have performance issues.

C. Under the UI options, there are settings to control player names/tags - switch them to *only* display for teammates or targeted. The various in-game windows and menus actually take a heavy toll on game performance, so minimizing what is shown can help a lot.

Hope that helps & good luck!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    OP: Here's what I suggest:

1. Start by closing all programs except for ARC (if you use it) and Neverwinter itself.

2. Turn all settings to their lowest (except for screen resolution - leave that at your monitor's native resolution).

3, First turn *just* lighting up to its highest and see how the game runs. If it's good, then slowly go through each additional setting until performance starts to dip too much.

4. Some graphics cards actually perform lower if antialaising is *not* turned on - so try setting that to 2X and see how it goes.

A few settings that I find really tax the system:

A. Physics/Debris - this can take a hefty toll on a system, so I tend to keep it low or turn it off entirely.

B. Shadows - stick to 'low' or 'off' if you have performance issues.

C. Under the UI options, there are settings to control player names/tags - switch them to *only* display for teammates or targeted. The various in-game windows and menus actually take a heavy toll on game performance, so minimizing what is shown can help a lot.

Hope that helps & good luck!

I actually find that turning down the resolution of the game can significantly improve performance and allow you to turn graphics settings higher than you would be able to otherwise. After all its less pixels per second the video card has to process.

I never run games in my monitor's natural resolution (because its rediculously high).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    zshikara wrote: »
    Why in blazes are you running windows 7 with only 3 GB of system ram? Sure it'll run the OS, but not much else. At least not without lag.

Your video card is actually better than mine and I get better performance in game than you do.

My advice to you is to double your ram. Preferably I'd like to see it around 8 GB. Also, to take advantage of the ram you'd need to change your OS to Windows 7 X64 as X86 can only utilize 4 GB of ram. Your processor is old, but should be ok enough to handle most current games as to replace it you are basically building a new computer at this point (the best your motherboard will most likely support is a 6000+ which is a 15 to 20% boost to processor power at best, and completely not worth the money you'd have to spend to get one).

My computer is 4 years old, has Windows 7, 4 GB RAM, and a similar video card to the OP. I have only minimal lag problems in the game and my NW video settings are fairly high - about 75-80% of the slider bars. I don't think 3 GB RAM is the problem.

There is always a chance that the hard drive is an issue. A hard drive full of temp files/cookies/etc. and badly fragmented can wreak havoc on overall performance. I would delete temporary internet files, use a program like CCleaner to remove all fragmented links, then defragment your hard drive first.

If you have already done this, good job. If not, give it a try and see what happens. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."