test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help, new to Neverwinter

casimercasimer Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I am trying to get a Coalescent Ward by trading, and I have no idea what a good trade for a Coalescent Ward is. I tried trading three Greater Marks of Power and a Black Opal for one, and I guess it was a bad trade because the guy said welcome to my ignore list when I said what the offer was. Can I get some help with this?
Post edited by casimer on

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Current pricing for a coalescent ward is around 400,000AD.

The stuff you offered was worth maybe 20,000AD, if we calculate generously.

If you don't really know what things you have are worth relative to things you want, spend a few minutes browsing the auction house.

Coalescent wards are one of the most valuable items in the game.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Coal wards are 400k atm, though I have no idea why they're so low (anyone know?) when really they're worth 500k. Black opals are 10k on the ah atm. You can just check the ah for an idea of he value of an item.

Edit: I thought that said potency marks instead of power but becks has summed up the value clearly
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Marks of power, not potency. So the ones you can get several of for free per week, just running Dread Spire.

ie, to OP... They're not worth much.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited October 2014
    Marks of power, not potency. So the ones you can get several of for free per week, just running Dread Spire.

ie, to OP... They're not worth much.

Not sure what you're talking about *whistles innocently*
  • casimercasimer Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok, well do you have any tips on how to start building up AD, the entire reason I was wanting the Coalescent Ward in the first place was so I could sell it on the AH for AD. At the moment I only have about 50k AD.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Leadership. Start early and check it often. You can buy up mercenaries to start with for around 400 AD (or you can simply level leadership to 3 and start hiring one at the low, low price of 18 hours of time).

Invoke your three times per day--@60 that's a free 2k AD per character.

Browse the AH for things that are selling fast and well.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Through time (leadership AD alts, playing the AH, farming CN) or dropping real $$$.

Or if you find someone really really generous.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
    edited October 2014
    casimer wrote: »
    Ok, well do you have any tips on how to start building up AD, the entire reason I was wanting the Coalescent Ward in the first place was so I could sell it on the AH for AD. At the moment I only have about 50k AD.

Last year I would've said plenty. This year they seemed to have completely destroyed that so I can only recommend a large army of leadership toons. As a new player I personally wouldn't bother. I don't run dungeons anymore since it's not worth it. I can still make ad from crafting and many leadership toons, but that took a significant ad and time investment. Maybe someone more forgiving of the game can give you some tips whereas I have little that I can advise in the current state of the game.

Though If you're close to 100 sigils and secrets, you can buy the 4th or 5th boon tome and sell it on the ah for a tidy amount.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Currently coal wards are undervalued. You would have to buy them insanely cheap to make any kind of profit on them. Until you get a significant pile of AD to do market trading. Your only real option is to grind Rhix/Lord Protector dailies and/or run dungeons to sell loot.
  • casimercasimer Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am at 10k GS, and almost rank 3 boon in Dread Ring. Are doing Tier 2 Dungeons and getting the boss loot to sell on the AH a good way to earn AD?
  • phrendonphrendon Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    200 Tarmalune Bars = 1 Coal Ward, thats the way I get them. And I use them, I don't sell them. The reason they cost so much is because they are scarce.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    phrendon wrote: »
    200 Tarmalune Bars = 1 Coal Ward, thats the way I get them. And I use them, I don't sell them. The reason they cost so much is because they are scarce.

Theyre also bound to account. So you couldnt sell. But thats mainly how I get my Cwards.

There are also RNG ways if you like that sort of stuff. Its like winning the lottery (in both any negative or positive connotation). But I wouldnt suggest that to someone new. Typically you need AD or $$$ already to win that way.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • lilbyrdielilbyrdie Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    phrendon wrote: »

Scarce isn't really the right term. They're available in unlimited supply with zen. The issue, of course, is that they cost a whopping $10USD each worth of zen! As that translates to 500k AD, the AH pricing is a nice 20% discount. So, you could buy the 500k AD for 1000 zen, then buy the c-ward off the AH, then have 100k AD left. Sort-of win-win.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    CO Wards really are an end-game item, at least at the moment. They are used to advance some of the most powerful items in the Game (Weapons and Armor Enchants, super high-level Runes and Enchants, etc.). You really don't need to worry about those just yet. As for an AD making strategy, I recommend being an Altoholic. 10 Alts. with LvL 20 Leadership will net you at least 100k AD per day, often much more. This takes time and commitment, however (I've been playing since the Closed Beta Weekends and STILL have not reached that point). Do your Rinx and Lord Protectors Dailies. Sell anything interesting you may find that you cannot use yourself. Make Dragon Hoard and Fey Blessing Enchants and sell/use them. You can find a market on all KINDS of things in this game. Just don't get fixated on that one big, quick score and learn to love lots and lots of little ones.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There use to be a well written guide on how to make AD but that got lock due to the author exploiting an infinite glitch.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OP, there are 2 way to approach getting a coalescent ward so you can build an enchantment:

1. The "get it now" approach - this means you'll have to trade some higher priced items, sell or salvage epic items for enough astral diamonds (ADs) to buy one on the auction house (AH), or otherwise directly purchase one, (from Zen store, with enough Tarmalune Trade bars to buy one).

2. The "long haul" approach - basically, create some more characters, get them to level 10-11, and make sure to keep invoking and running leadership tasks with them. Use the 7-day celestial coin chest since it has a chance at dropping a coal ward, (pretty low % though), and stay on top of leadership tasks to generate ADs - eventually you will get enough ADs to buy a coal ward outright, or one will drop from the 7-day chest.

Good luck & welcome to Neverwinter!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Also, despite what others have said, run dungeons! And skirmishes during skirmish hour. Any purple items you get from running dungeons should be compared - salvage value to auction house price. If they are selling for less than salvage value, salvage it. If not, sell. (If you get a backlog of unrefined AD, mail the item to an alt, and have them salvage it). The skirmishes pay 1000 AD per run.

And don't forget daily quests - 3 quick skirmish runs = 3000 AD, for instance. Even if it takes you a couple days, it's more AD for you.

Otherwise - level leadership. At level 20, with all 9 slots open, you'll bring in between 70-100,000 AD per week, per character.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am trying to get a Coalescent Ward by trading, and I have no idea what a good trade for a Coalescent Ward is. I tried trading three Greater Marks of Power and a Black Opal for one, and I guess it was a bad trade because the guy said welcome to my ignore list when I said what the offer was. Can I get some help with this?

Well, you can't really expect people to trade stuff if you didn't do some research first.

It's hard to say what is a "good" trade for a CWard, as it is easy to sell on the AH. If current AH price is 400k, typically you have to offer more value than 360k, otherwise whoever has a CWard will sell it for 400k, take the 10% cut and get 360k AD to spend on whatever he wants.

Bartering stuff is only good to avoid AH tax (in other words, if I had a CWard I would trade it for something I need AND that has roughly the same value, I wouldn't accept a trade for other stuff I don't need and I'd still have to sell on AH), thus you have to offer something the other guy actually needs, and that varies a lot.
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok, well do you have any tips on how to start building up AD. At the moment I only have about 50k AD.

Building AD is a long process. At 50k AD it's still profitable to complete the Lord British quests. Combine his quests with Rhix quests and you can reach the daily refine cap while doing what you're already doing anyway.
    Leadership has already been mentioned in the posts above, it's a steady way to get AD but you'll need to be level 20 in the profession and it will take months.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am at 10k GS, and almost rank 3 boon in Dread Ring. Are doing Tier 2 Dungeons and getting the boss loot to sell on the AH a good way to earn AD?

Running dungeons usually comes with a lot of drama (wipes, kick-offs, RNG). Running one also takes a lot of time. Besides, most loot pieces are bound (cannot be sold), and the loot that can be sold is the loot that everyone else is selling already in AH (auction house) for cheap.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    nazghul22 wrote: »
    to complete the Lord British quests.

O_o

Wrong game?
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Short term, do dungeons and sell loot. Salvage what you can't sell or use.

Long term, get about 20 character slots. At 60/20 (character/leadership levels) a modestly developed single character can bring you about 15K-20K a day steady income. It takes a *long* time to get to that point though. Leadership is the slowest leveling profession. And you need to max two other professions to get all the slots. As well as have 4 purple tools for another prof to open up another slot. It also requires spending AD on stuff like leadership assets. The point is its a long term goal. Not a get rich fast method.

*You can obviously do this with more than 20 slots. But I suggest stopping there. More than that and you wind up feeling like you are playing a spreadsheet more than a game. Its just to easy to burn out.*

Optional stuff:
    - With low level characters running the blacklake skirmish during the bonus hour use to be viable. Not done it lately.
    - I personally like using the foundry from time to time. At 60 you can get Rhix daily foundry and lord protectors foundry quest to net you 12K for running 4 foundry quests. I don't bother unless I have lord protectors quest though.
    - You can do the same thing as above with gauntlgrym. Even if you don't normally run it. Wait till you have all three lord protectors quest. And all three rhix quests. Then run all of it on that character for a nice chunk of AD for all the quests.

Other Methods:
    - Other professions. Not really done this myself, but hear about it a lot. People sell some crafted stuffs. Mostly shirts and pants I think. Suggest you research this if interested.
    - Lockboxes. Plenty use the exchange to get keys. Then sell the lockbox contents. I've heard that its up and down a lot but is at a profit over the long term. I try to avoid random stuff here like its the plague myself. Would require a lot of research to keep up with what is selling high, what boxes to open, etc...
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Short answer - yes

Long answer - Yes, and all the other purple items add up too.

Don't forget shards have value and also, your seals, once you salvage them, are worth 150 AD each. It all adds up.

My advice to you is to always be doing something. Never idle.
    edited October 2014
    Running dungeons usually comes with a lot of drama (wipes, kick-offs, RNG). Running one also takes a lot of time. Besides, most loot pieces are bound (cannot be sold), and the loot that can be sold is the loot that everyone else is selling already in AH (auction house) for cheap.

My runs are drama free.

I think what you mean is PUGGING dungeons comes with a lot of drama. Run with guild or legit or some other group.
    edited October 2014
    Over time, espeically back in the day I made a good amount off lockboxes. Right now with ZAX so high i suspect if you are opening the right boxes it's very profitable.

However, i don't think this is much help to a new player, as you would have to open a large amount of boxes (i'm talking over a hundred a week, maybe more) to make any sort of reasonable profit.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Building AD is a long process. At 50k AD it's still profitable to complete the Lord British quests. Combine his quests with Rhix quests and you can reach the daily refine cap while doing what you're already doing anyway.
    Leadership has already been mentioned in the posts above, it's a steady way to get AD but you'll need to be level 20 in the profession and it will take months.

I believe you're referring to Lord Neverember.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com