test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

advice on dread spire pls

eternalpietyeternalpiety Member Posts: 57 Arc User
edited October 2014 in The Nine Hells
i have just got to dread ring for the first time,and have done the first few quests but am about to take on the dread spire for the first time. i have read the wiki and seen what is in there but would appreciate some pointers on the way i should approach this.
my sw is specced as damnation(puppet right?)gs is about 8.8k

ty in advance
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• godhricgodhric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 437 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    totally soloable even for the lairs.. no need to worry if you're decent.
    but always look for party to speed things up..
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    godhric wrote: »
    totally soloable even for the lairs.. no need to worry if you're decent.
    but always look for party to speed things up..

Agreed. Type in the LFG channel "LFG DS" and you'll get in a party that will allow you a quick run. DS is not a tough lair but if you want to experience it by "looking around" as you go, run it solo first. After that, everyone just runs thru.
    I aim to misbehave
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Right before going into the boss room, 'change character,' and come right back in on the same character. This will dispel your puppet. That is the only way you are likely to have use of the puppet for the final fight, as he will get stuck on the wrong side of the door.

In the big room where you have to destroy the research.. defeat all enemies in the room before destroying the papers in the alcove. Also, an imp will appear when you go in there, kill him before burning. Some baddies will come for you when you burn the last one (I've always done the one in the alcove last so I don't know if it is that one specifically or just the last one done that calls 'em..) You can fight them or not....

I have never done DS with anyone else along, and I don't remember ever having any trouble with it.. except for on my second tr, who had really crappy gear the first few times.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Congrats on getting to the Dread Ring...

I have a SW who just got there too, and about the same specs...
    What I've found is that first.. my SW has a real hard time with the iron golems... so I usually keep shift to avoid their massive attacks and let my companion and soul puppet take the bulk of it and keep hitting them form a distance... same goes for the golem in the middle of the spire...

In the tome room...sprawlfx hit on the head... i usually take one book at at a time and leave the alcove one for last... as you approach that book an imp appears at the top of the statue behind it. I use Dark Spiral Aura on it to kill it in one shot.

When you destroy that book, 2 servitors, a thayan mage and one of those crystal golems appears... i use blades of vanquished armies and and ranged attacks on them concentrating on the mage and leaving the golem for last as it is hard to destroy while shifting here and there to avoid his attacks... again using the soul puppet and companion to engage in melee and hitting it from range.

The knight commander after doing this with my TR who can take him out in a short while was a shock... :)
    I go for the servitors again cursing them to build up my dark spire spheres...
    Then on the boss... again hitting from range and using Flames of Phlegos to open... watch out for his guarding ability... he'll plant his shield and tuck down... there will be a huge red AoE zone in front of him... move around behind him and attack him to break this... if you let him finish it out.. it is a devesating blow...

Again its all about stamina managment and keep moving to hit from range...

If you have access to any blue comapnions.. especially striker or defenders use them before going into the boss room... they will help keep the boss pinned down for a little bit allowing you to hit from range...

It is doable solo.. i've done it twice so far with my SW... now ghost stories for ToR... thats a different story... lol

Good luck :D
  • eternalpietyeternalpiety Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    awsome advice guys, thanks very much :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sprawlfx wrote: »
    Right before going into the boss room, 'change character,' and come right back in on the same character. This will dispel your puppet. That is the only way you are likely to have use of the puppet for the final fight, as he will get stuck on the wrong side of the door.

As a Damnation spec warlock, this is probably the most important advice you could get.

My warlock is Fury. I melt stuff with Dreadtheft.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Shouldn't worry about it at all. The only lair that's a pain for low gear toons is the deathforge, that killed me quite frequently back in the day. I didn't know you could blow up the caskets that the dread warriors pop out of so would have about half a dozen of them chasing me while I was trying to kill that weird jawbone woman. Lol, my graphics card was so bad back then I didn't even know she was a she.

Ah, nostalgia.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As a Damnation spec warlock, this is probably the most important advice you could get.

I forgot and didn't notice anyway. Boss was kept busy with my owl the entire time.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I always assume that a new player looking for advice doesn't have a full set of gear or fancy pets or anything of the sort.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I always assume that a new player looking for advice doesn't have a full set of gear or fancy pets or anything of the sort.

A templocke can keep their crappy man-at-arms kicking to do just that.
    edited October 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    A templocke can keep their crappy man-at-arms kicking to do just that.

not temptation!
    companions i have are, man at arms;yeti;archer;evoker
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Personally, i just walk in there, kill everything and leave. Even on my DC.

Now since your gear isn't very good, my advice to you is don't overpull. You have to know how much you can handle. If i'm in there on my CW, i'll pull the whole instance, but she's 18.6k, so who cares.

At 8.8k I would go slowly and kill one encounter at a time. I'd also experiment to see if i can handle two, but if you take your time it's easily soloable.
    edited October 2014
    thanks for all the help and advice guys, managed with no problems :)
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Little tip...if your worried as well as those that like to speed things along.

In the destroy research room, destroy all the other research books but the one in the imp alcove. Enter the alcove, kill imp first. Then as soon as you destroy the last research book there, sprint/shift run out and make a big circle in the room towards the area you enter the big room. Depend on how fast you are, you should not aggro the new mobs. Keep going in this big circle keeping an eye on the new mobs..you will pass close to the research book opposite the imp alcove. The new mobs will end up stopping near the imp area. COntinue on your way in the circle to stairs up to the boss.

YOu do not have to kill them.
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    YOu do not have to kill them.

Yeah, that's what I meant by the ellipsis in my 'You can fight them or not...'

You used to be able to run in the shorter, other direction.. they 'fixed' that, because apparently they think we need to stand around and fight mobs that have no chance of killing us, and offer us nothing, to no greater purpose than making this 'basically mandatory' waste of time.. er.. waste more time. Hahaha!