test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Intimidation Feat proc, dmg out of control: Details inside.

osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
edited October 2014 in PvE Discussion
The other thread about this was quickly derailed. Pls dont let this happen here.
First: I am not a griefing cw/gf player. I play a 19k pvp gwf myself.

This thread will show that the feat Intimidation has way too much dmg in pvp. And that is cheesy and super skillless to use.

Here we go:

First, here are the stats of a destroyer build, with the most used encounters TD and FLS, their cds, their base dmg on the left side, and their buffed dmg with 20 destro-stacks on the right side. I also added the two encounter power, which the sentinel uses, so u can compare the cds.

4vsnee.jpg

Now, keep the dmg of the encounters TD and FLS in mind when we get to the dmg of Intimidation. Pls note also, as showed, that the two powers, which proc the feat are AOEs, covering a decent area.

Here is the damage I could achieve just by respeccing to a reasonable sentinel build, not even build my gear around that power based feat:
1zvpr4j.jpg

313ro0i.jpg

Keep in mind: no other buffs or debuffs were applied. Only some standard potions used in both instances.

The feat itself has no ICD, which means u can proc those numbers back to back. As an aoe. As a passive feat proc. In the tank path of gwfs.

To be honest, come and get it isnt that good except for the proc, but daring shout itself has very nice utility, and dont forget, u can still slot FLS as a third encounter to ensure hits even on dodging HRs/CWs.
My last pic is just from a random battle against an average gwf playing against my destro-gwf. He didnt even used the rotations right, maybe he was just practising with his new build, and he wasnt even build for maxed power.

2mqtcok.jpg

Conclusion of this is:
Sentinels have far more burst dmg in pvp than destroyers. As AOEs! The IBS might hit a little bit harder, but u need specific conditions for that like low health in the target anyway. The feat Intimidation on the other hand grants nearly auto-hits for at least 10k to over 30k dmg on pvp geared players.

I except much flaming in this thread from gwfs, who just think I want their classes nerfed. Which is kinda odd, because I play one myself... and I realize that gwfs are not as strong as HRs/CWs/GFs. But its a balance issue.
Sentinel path is a tank path. They should have some dmg of course. But not insane AOE dmg that outclasses even the single target dmg of destro gwfs.

Not to speak of how unfun it is to use these powers for dmg. Even testing with it a couple of hours with it made me sick of them.
Post edited by osterdrache on

Comments

• aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This just escalated from one classe calling for nerfs on other classes to one tree calling for nerfs on an other tree of the same classe , this games is going down, did you took the time to read the topic below yours ? it is pretty much about the same thing
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    So nobody is going to talk about how HRs are overpowered in PVP as well?
  • valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    why is this different from creeping frost+assailant+stormspell?
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    valencay wrote: »

Or disruptive shot + boar charge + piercing blades?
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I except much flaming in this thread from gwfs

What is to flame about?! This kind of thing shouldnt have happen, like i;ve said before skill is not a problem if it wouldnt crit, but it needs a bit of buffing without it. To go 13k power in pvp it means you are in pve gear and that is suicide.

It is true that Barracks lately turned into a nuthouse, probably due to too many hits in the head, so i ask some help from the Temple to come and do something with them cause we just cant control the situation anymore...
  • yuccapalmyuccapalm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Difference to other overpowered classes is that you can have this dmg as a tank who is way more tanky than a CW or HR.
  • valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    They're the fruits of the same flawed design approach, where people can land tons of damage without even trying -- part of a whole spectrum of WRONG with this module, also including HR Piercing Blade and Glyphs, as well as the GF nonsense that was just fixed. So in that regard, they're not different.

Balancewise, this has a bigger impact, though, because killing a CW isn't that hard. Killing a good Sentinel GWF on the other hand? That's harder. CWs need to be able to inflict damage and use cc to stay competitive; Sentinels already have a great deal of tankiness and mobility anyway; they don't need to do massive, skilless damage on top of that. CWs are pretty much a mid-tier PvP class, while Intimidation being like this moves GWFs to the apex of the PvP hierarchy again (maybe along with HRs).
    you have a point, a good point. i really did consider just the "huge damage from feat" part and not the whole thing
    Or disruptive shot + boar charge + piercing blades?

HR is quite OP right now, we all know that, but piercing blades alone cannot give you this sort of big numbers like 12k, and as i said i was only considering feat damage (altough ss is a passive)
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Isn't this an obvious bug? OP has 5k power according to screens and deals like 13k damage while the power should do 50% of the power as damage.
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    valencay wrote: »

Probably because a lot of CWs already said Storm Spell and Assailing Force are annoying.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Isn't this an obvious bug? OP has 5k power according to screens and deals like 13k damage while the power should do 50% of the power as damage.

I think this is caused because all dmg modifiers and multipliers affecting intimidation dmg. For example u deal more dmg against marked targets or can buff ur encounter dmg with Battle Fury. Its like the old deep gash, profiting from all sorts of modifiers.

To be fair, because of respecc and different feat choices my gwf had a little over 7k power (with pots). But still, the modified dmg is too highfor that base number.

PS: What is wrong with u guys? Some of u are so butthurt by HRs/CWs that u have to bring them up in EVERY TOPIC? This thread is about Intimidation feat. Gosh...
    To go 13k power in pvp it means you are in pve gear and that is suicide.

I have around 6-7k power with flawed ad hoc sentinel spec. Where do u pull this number from? Nobody has 13k power in pvp. I did those numbers with said base power.
    edited October 2014
    I have around 6-7k power with flawed ad hoc sentinel spec. Where do u pull this number from? Nobody has 13k power in pvp. I did those numbers with said base power.

gross exaggeration on my part... i havent tried this plus is something that pretty much every GWF in top pages agreed that is something wrong and should go away.

Only thing i was saying is that without the crit skills needs some buffing for pve purpose.

PS: chill a bit
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ill just post this here.

I PMd Crush about this last week and here is his response:

I cannot replicate your results independantly. With a character with no damage bonuses I am seeing the following values.

5000 Power - 3250 Damage (which is exactly right. 5000 power grants a 30% damage bonus, so 5000 *.5*1.3 = 3250)

Most likely you are seeing another damage bonus on your character you are not accounting for, but it appears to be working 100% as described. There is no error in the formula. If this proves to make the feat too powerful however I want to see that before making any drastic changes because this is a powerful tanking tool.

So basically admits its currently WAI, now what needs to be done is help him understand its TOO powerful and needs to be toned back to say 30% of Power as damage.

id rather keep this build as one OPTION alive than remove it. All that need to happen is the feat needs to be nerfed to a fair level (I think 30% would be fine) Thats a 40% damage nerf to this "build"
    edited October 2014
    clonkyo1 wrote: »
    While i agree with the buff on "Intimidation" being affected by ArP and other buffs and the nerf of being mitigated and deflectable (i am not sure about this, due i just fought a Sent GWF on bis gear and did around 17k damage per Intimidation hit, which is half of my life bar with 40% DR), i disagree that a feat deal crit damage. DEVs already stated that not feats, not passives, not class-feats should do crit damage, only At-will, Encounters and Dailies. So, i would reduce the damage dealt by the feat to the half (25%) at rank 5.

I like the fact that it can crit, I just think its base damage needs a big nerf....

I dont want to see this option go away TBH. I only tested this in PVE on the PTR but it was a breathe of fresh air for my retired GWF... It felt ALOT better than the usual stun lock + IBS combo weve all used for over a year...

Id rather them just nerf the BASE of this feat, and call it good. Leave it as an option... Some will run it, others wont... It takes alot of sacrfice to get to really high Power levels so its a true tradeoff.
    edited October 2014
    Well, that is what i meant on my post: Let the "intimidation" feat stay as it is right now (where it can crits) but reducing its damage % to 25%. I am sorry i did not my last sentence that clear. Sorry.

Im a little afraid 25% might be too low... Because what isnt seen is the sacrifice a GWF has to make to get to high power levels and maintain decent in other stats such as HP regen etc.

I think 30% of Power would be pretty fair TBH. I mean come and get it and daring shout really dont do very much in pvp at all.... So the fact they can do damage now, is really nice. Dropping it to 30% would mean even at 7k Power youll have a BASE of 2100 then factor in your damage boosts etc, but I think that sounds pretty reasonable.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    my 2 cents as HR. Maybe related maybe not. There is GWf power that does not have visible effect really. Works on close range. Like roar.Maybe new Roar. Can not really define it now. But it basically stuns /daze.
    But problem is second after it - makes my HR loose like 80% of health in one hit. One gwf even killed me in one shot from 100% to 0% throw Barkshield. Probably crit or so.
    But note this my tenancy is 20% plus 35%~40% DR in combat profound with 30k HP. So even if it was not deflected its a huge damage. I assume with crit he did like 40k-50k damage raw.

Also GWF from my guild posted yesterday damage in pve > 214k or so. PM me if you need name or she may respond herself if this is issue.

Hope it will help you guys define it and fix if its broken. Im not any good in gwf.
    edited October 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Im a little afraid 25% might be too low... Because what isnt seen is the sacrifice a GWF has to make to get to high power levels and maintain decent in other stats such as HP regen etc.

I think 30% of Power would be pretty fair TBH. I mean come and get it and daring shout really dont do very much in pvp at all.... So the fact they can do damage now, is really nice. Dropping it to 30% would mean even at 7k Power youll have a BASE of 2100 then factor in your damage boosts etc, but I think that sounds pretty reasonable.

Problem is: Similar to Gentle i cant reproduce it... i am using Cagi at 5k power in pvp but i;ve never hit anything above 10k dmg at crit... In pve at 7k power i hit for a max of 14k. For me a nerf in % is unacceptable, at least for my current knowledge. Maybe it gets multiplied by other buffs and has nothing to do with the feat itself...
    edited October 2014
    But you must consider that it will crits and it (intimidation) has already buff damages,it has ArP, etc... so, getting a base damage of 1950 (with 5k power) + crit + buffs + debuffs would be a little too much (IMO)... even if "Come and Get it" and "Daring Shout" have those high CDs.

Also, i think Intimidation still does not respect deflection and DR, because i were testing (1 min test, TBH, not a deep one, sorry) and i never got a deflection with my HR (45% Deflec)... which, right now, makes it a bit broken.
    Yes but I think for the CD and the build required to do so, I dont see why It cant hit very hard.

When I was on the PTR with 5k power, I was playing around with it and at 5k it seemed "fair". I could have easily stacked 2-3k more power which is where it is really having more issues.

If its nerfed 30% (down to 35% from 50% of your power - which is a 30% nerf) I think it will really solve part of the issue.

The skill needs to do good damage because of the HIGH CD and also the high gear required to center around the build. Nerfing TOO much and I think itll ruin this option for players - which I like this being an option
  • bananachefbananachef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    50% Damage
    50% Cooldown
    2 GWFS, 3 TRs, 2 GFs, 1 HR, 1 CW
  • zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Yes but I think for the CD and the build required to do so, I dont see why It cant hit very hard.

When I was on the PTR with 5k power, I was playing around with it and at 5k it seemed "fair". I could have easily stacked 2-3k more power which is where it is really having more issues.

If its nerfed 40% (down to 30% from 50% of your power - which is a 40% nerf) I think it will really solve part of the issue.

The skill needs to do good damage because of the HIGH CD and also the high gear required to center around the build. Nerfing TOO much and I think itll ruin this option for players - which I like this being an option

I completely agree. The tradeoff for getting high power is severe when we're considering PvP. Although, for PvE I'd say the feat should work as it does right now. The reason being the overall low damage of sentinel that leads to abysmal threat generation.
    bananachef wrote: »
    50% Damage
    50% Cooldown
    That's a good idea too.
  • nezraalnezraal Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Crush, the Sentinel tree really needs a damage buff. And destroyer needs a bit more survival. Most Sentinel can post very little damage and destroyer can only hit & run. Same GS GWF is behind in team vs team fights.
    edited October 2014
    http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/Yhztro/dmg_zps6dc8d80d.jpg

seems that CA is to blame for all this (7k power)
    edited October 2014
    ortzhy wrote: »
    http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/Yhztro/dmg_zps6dc8d80d.jpg

seems that CA is to blame for all this (7k power)

Not just CA but Mark as well. Targets that are marked are also given combat advantage AND Sents that deal damage to marked targets have a feat to increase this ANOTHER 15% as well.

So Mark + CA + Feat + any boons/stats for Combat advantage equal something CLOSE to:

20% + 8% + 15% + 4% = 47% damage boost from JUST marking a target.

Also, I made a proposition to remove this, however it would have to be given back to the GWFs in other areas.

One of my personal favorite suggestions was to remove combat advantage on mark but give STR = +2% Damage for each point.

This would end up being a "wash" for GWFs in total damage but it would mean less comes from Mark than currently.... And also gives more incentive to not stack Con as a GWF if you can stack STR for extra damage.
    edited October 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    Anything that allows people to run around inflicting massive damage without even needing to hit a target is bad for gameplay.

Intimidation has always been an option, not just a good one. For PvP, it should remain greatly sub-optimal compared to other setups that actually require players to hit something to work. Anything else would be pretty much break GWF gameplay. For PvE, it's true that Sentinels could probably use more damage than they've enjoyed up to now. So reducing the damage against players in PvP only, like Assailant Force, would probably be the better overall solution.

Trying to nerf it so it will remain a "balanced" option against other setups will just mean it will become the dominant setup because of its ease of use -- and make the GWF class extremely boring to play and to play against. At best, it should be much less damaging against other players than a Sentinel running a FLS/Takedown/IBS-style setup.

I respectfully disagree. Not only does it take quite a bit of game knowledge to BUILD correctly (because this requires quite a bit of "build" to do) it also requires alot of AD for the correct artifacts and artifact equipment as well. N

Then it takes appropriate "combos" if you will because you have to do the moves in the correct order. Its arguably no more difficult than Frontline -> Takedown -> IBS is.

This is just Frontline -> Daring -> Come and get it.

While I see what your saying, I also think with a nerf to maybe 35%, itll still be a viable niche build that isnt "easy" to set up or do correctly.

Its also relatively easy to "block" or "counter" and it also has less "control" that FLS->Takedown->IBS. So its actually LESS "cheesy" from that standpoint.
This discussion has been closed.