test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the role of Hunter Rangers?

vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2014 in The Wilds
They do damage but their damage is subpar to CWs and SWs, both of whom can provide buffs for the group and controls for the mobs. So what's the point of ever bringing around an HR when they're subpar in the DPS department?
Post edited by vestige321 on

Comments

• jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Hunter Ranger is a love it or hate it class.
    The best players can do unbelievable things, outstripping the Damage of just about anything else out there.
    They also have a terrific selection of Buffs and Heals.
    I have no idea of how they do it, but I've seen them take a GWF apart in seconds in Melee while taking minimle damage.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • rlrobrrlrobr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A good HR can easily outdps a CW in all dungeons, except CN and (maybe) MC. The problem is most HRs are bad-average players and since HR is the most difficult class to play...
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    HR is not the most difficult class to play, they are just very bad in average and choose the wrong encounters/feats... and that's from MoD 2 at least (when I started to play).
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    1. TW, Pack, and boar are all buffs/ debuffs.
    2. My HR gets out SPSed by CWs using a PVorp when I use a PTerror. By about 10%. Meaning if I switched enchnts my DPS would go up 10% and his would go down 5% (condidering optimal ArPen). The thing is my vorp is on the TLock.
    3. When you are done clearing the trash you have to kill bosses. A good HR does a preposterous ammount of single-target damage when played properly.
  • vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    1. TW, Pack, and boar are all buffs/ debuffs.
    2. My HR gets out SPSed by CWs using a PVorp when I use a PTerror. By about 10%. Meaning if I switched enchnts my DPS would go up 10% and his would go down 5% (condidering optimal ArPen). The thing is my vorp is on the TLock.
    3. When you are done clearing the trash you have to kill bosses. A good HR does a preposterous ammount of single-target damage when played properly.

All other classes do great single target plus with AOE like CW and SW. SW with tyrannical threat destroys stuff. How does HR fare against those
    edited October 2014
    vestige321 wrote: »
    All other classes do great single target plus with AOE like CW and SW. SW with tyrannical threat destroys stuff. How does HR fare against those

My SW is fair to middling, all things considered.
    About 14k GS.
    And he has already outdone my veteran 18k GS GWF in PvP Achievements, and he hasn't gotten his first Profound item yet, or accessed Icewind Dale.
    I squash most HR's in short order.
    But the minority who actually know how to play their class well?
    OMFG
    Even at a low GS they are near indestructable.
    All that Deflect essentially makes Dread Theft completely useless (as in it does nearly no damage per tick).
    They do crazy DoT Circles.
    They buff themselves and their teammates.
    They can dodge any of your big attacks cleanly, suffering NOTHING from Killing Flames or your Dailies.
    I never stand a chance.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I'm mostly talking about PvE...
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hmm... I've been having fun with my TR but have been thining of rolling a HR to see what they're about. I am NOT an experienecd player but learn quickly. SHould I go ahead and roll one just to try it out or is it a "complicated" class which requires expertiese to really enjoy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Hmm... I've been having fun with my TR but have been thining of rolling a HR to see what they're about. I am NOT an experienecd player but learn quickly. SHould I go ahead and roll one just to try it out or is it a "complicated" class which requires expertiese to really enjoy?

Both.
    In my experience, if you like a Class to begin with, it is easy to get good at it, but if you don't, skill is hard to come by. So roll that critter up! Just avoid putting couple million AD into it until you're sure you're going to use it as something other than another Leadership Alt.

• lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited October 2014
    A Ranger is Ranged or Melee DPS or Ranged / Melee DPS/Support or Ranged / Melee DPS/CC (Snares). It all depend on your build and your Encounters that you slot.
    edited October 2014
    vestige321 wrote: »
    I'm mostly talking about PvE...

Sorry about that.
    When you said "Fare Against" I assumed you meant in PvP.
    My bad.

• danmordedanmorde Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14
    edited October 2014
    I play a PvE combat range. I do deal alot of damages, while at the same time being able to tank all the dungeons/skirmishes except for LoL and SoE (one shot abilities on trash mobs for the win!).

My main role i guess is to soak up damage, while debuffing with plaguefire and doing loads of AoE dps. My life steal gets up to about 30%, deflect to 50% and power to about 9-10k in combat (with overload slots, class features, feats and boons).

My go to encounters
    Split the sky
    Rain of Swords
    Fox shift.

Will change split the sky for thornward on single target bosses

At-wills
    Rapid strike
    Clear the ground

Dailies
    Seismic
    And err whatever i have slotted in the second slot

Will change seismic for distruptive slot on single target boss fights

class features:
    aspect of the lone wolf for that huge deflection bonus (Also with fey thistle your deflection becomes a semi offensive stat)
    Blade storm as second.

Will change blade storm for Storm step action on single target bosses

Companion set up
    Priestess of sune (purple)
    Rust Monster (purple, duh?)
    Renegade evoker (purple)
    Ioun Stone of Allure (blue)
    Were rat thief (blue)

Artifacts
    Sigil of the hunter,
    Oghma's token of free movement
    Sigil of the guardian.

I think the HR is in a pretty good spot right now if you play your class correctly,
    Of course CW is still the best PvE class because of the insane amount of damage and CC they can dish out. And you can still play all dungeons (maybe the new ones are an exception?) with 5 CWs with no problem at all.
  • ikapamkikapamk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 294 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    The role of HR...

Well, I find it interesting most of the comments are referring to Combat HR. In reality, there are 3 different strains of HR: Archery, Combat, and Trapper.
    The first has amazing DPS capability when used well (think AoE trash + single-target bosses), but not quite as much as CW, thanks to CWs' large AoE bursts - HR's only burst is RoA, which is a tiny area.
    The second is a PvP powerhouse, very able to avoid taking much damage and possessing a few traits which allow it to deal massive damage if done properly; this is the build many are talking about when in reference to face-to-face experience and the shock, awe, and tears are merited.
    The last is the hardest to play well. HR's CC dynamics have been majorly changed/nerfed/changed (Farewell Constricting Shot... QQ) and the root system as of mod 4 doesn't really work too well, but trappers really embody the whole intention of HR from its introduction - utilizing both ranged and melee, gaining benefits from switching stances, and managing your timers. Essentially, you now have 6 powers, when used correctly.

Unfortunately, Nature build, which was the handy party buff build, is no longer with us (RIP) as Archery and Combat trees were tailored more to those wanting to not switch stances (guilty as charged) and Trapper was invented as the sole reminder of a bygone age.
    Carpe Jugulum
    Sharra Del'Armgo - SW Trapper Hybrid HR
    Ogghra Bar'Ghuzumn - MI Scoundrel TR
    Vænna Thrymskjöldr - IV Protector GF
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    HRs are generally expected to be versatile damage dealers, which means you are expected to do good single target or AoE damage depending on what's needed. They are very similar to GWFs in that no one expects them to outdamage SWs/CWs (though you are expected to keep up), and yet when things don't go as planned everyone expects you to be among the last people standing.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    rlrobr wrote: »
    A good HR can easily outdps a CW in all dungeons, except CN and (maybe) MC. The problem is most HRs are bad-average players and since HR is the most difficult class to play...

mostly this, For me CW and HR are pretty even dpswise.... cw better aoe and hr better single target. So depending on the instance one will have the edge. stuff like cn or t2s wherte u can just herd huge ammounts of adds cw has a very big advantage due to some of its powers not having a target cap. where in dungeons like lol/mc/vt hr has the edge. It also depends on how u run the dungeon, if u slow pull hr might have an advantage if u herd cw has it. VT is a good example of that.

Basically an archers role is a striker, good aoe (not best) for trash clearing and best single target for boss murdering. It also contributes with decent debuffs with Thorn ward and one of the best buffs in game if played properly (aspect of the pack).

Fox cunning is also very usefull in mod 4 party content, as everything hits very hard.
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    most HRs are not bad players, they just dont care about some "melee blades" and switch stances. nobody ever want melee HR, only now people play it couse its overpowered. i will always play only with bow, no matter what
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Both.
    In my experience, if you like a Class to begin with, it is easy to get good at it, but if you don't, skill is hard to come by. So roll that critter up! Just avoid putting couple million AD into it until you're sure you're going to use it as something other than another Leadership Alt.

Cool - I'll roll one up tonight then... now, race-wise. Does it matter or is there one that is better than another for this class? I was thinking Drow, despite their obvious dislike for nature...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A lot of HR are combat spec for pvp which reduces our pve dps, I can do decent dps but get out dpsed by most CW or SW in dungeons, but can off tank and apply dots and debuffs also, its pretty good for keeping plaguefire debuff on everything.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited October 2014
    You''ll want races that give stat bonuses to Dex (Primary), Wisdom or Stength. Most people avoid Strength primarily because all of the Armor Penetration (which strenth boosts) that HR's get. But if you want PvP, more Strength and AP can't hurt (except your target :D). Another thing to consider is Deflection Bonuses that race can give. HR's are a class get a lot of Deflection. So any bonuses you get get will certainly reduce the ouchies.

as o specific recommendations....Drow and WOOD Elf are good for HR. Halflings are ideal with Deflection Chance bonus (extra special +10% Control if you go Trapper.)
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wood Elf FTW +1 Dex +1 Wis.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    edited October 2014
    u mean +2 +2 :D

I personally like Human, 2 less wis but them 3 extra feat points pretty much make up for it.
  • caunsidhcaunsidh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vinceent1 wrote: »
    most HRs are not bad players, they just dont care about some "melee blades" and switch stances. nobody ever want melee HR, only now people play it couse its overpowered. i will always play only with bow, no matter what

There indeed are many bad HR players, aggroing everything in sight and ending up dead soon after, using wrong encounters, having bad builds, etc.

As for combat HRs, they can hardly ever outdps a good equally geared archery HR in PvE.
    The same stands for Pathfinders in comparison to Stormwardens.
    Therenil - Hunter Ranger, Stormwarden/Trapper
    3.jpg
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why o why did I make my HR a Sun Elf, what was I thinking that day... doh
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
    edited October 2014
    caunsidh wrote: »
    As for combat HRs, they can hardly ever outdps a good equally geared archery HR in PvE.
    The same stands for Pathfinders in comparison to Stormwardens.

True. But Combat Pathfinder HRs trade some DPS for a boatload of suvivabilt. My Combat HR can stand toe to toe with the new toughest Cult of the Dragon spawns (you know the ones with two Green Dragon claws) and wind up with full health at the end of the encounter. I don't even have to dodge the nasty green streamers of Doom.
  • kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    True. But Combat Pathfinder HRs trade some DPS for a boatload of suvivabilt. My Combat HR can stand toe to toe with the new toughest Cult of the Dragon spawns (you know the ones with two Green Dragon claws) and wind up with full health at the end of the encounter. I don't even have to dodge the nasty green streamers of Doom.

what surviviability that PF have and SW don't have ??
    you are not talking about the useless passif " cruel recovery " ??
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kaedennn wrote: »
    what surviviability that PF have and SW don't have ??
    you are not talking about the useless passif " cruel recovery " ??

Not so useless actually. I can easily face-tank Vilithrax and Venfithar now as PF Combat using Cruel Recovery whereas I was never able to pull it off as SW Combat. Hell I can even take on Garakas face-to-face without him killing me. Yes PF won't do nearly as much damage as SW Combat, especially in AoE situations, but then SW Combat won't get close to SW Archery for that matter.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lirithiel wrote: »
    Not so useless actually. I can easily face-tank Vilithrax and Venfithar now as PF Combat using Cruel Recovery whereas I was never able to pull it off as SW Combat. Hell I can even take on Garakas face-to-face without him killing me. Yes PF won't do nearly as much damage as SW Combat, especially in AoE situations, but then SW Combat won't get close to SW Archery for that matter.

Pretty much. If you relatively stationary targets and you can drop Rain of Arrows and Thorn Ward on them you´ll get a pretty good streaming of healing from Cruel Recovery.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    edited October 2014
    Pretty much. If you relatively stationary targets and you can drop Rain of Arrows and Thorn Ward on them you´ll get a pretty good streaming of healing from Cruel Recovery.

well if u get those to constantly hitting with decent ls and endless consumption u can also facetank even with an archer.... i constantly do so, not the huge spikes obv as i dont have that many hp but the damage sustain is there even without that feat.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ximae wrote: »
    well if u get those to constantly hitting with decent ls and endless consumption u can also facetank even with an archer.... i constantly do so, not the huge spikes obv as i dont have that many hp but the damage sustain is there even without that feat.

You can feel the difference. My HR has the Fallen Dragon weapons, almost 7K power and 1600 lifesteal, so I'm lifestealing quite some HPs, but still I would not go back to Stormwarden. Cruel Recover makes my life much less stressful. And I have Endless consumption as well, by the way.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I thought cruel recovery was just a 300 HP temporary if not refreshed 'buffer' much like an extra layer of barkshield, I don't think it actually heals you at all. Your lifesteal is doing the healing.
    No idea what my toon is now.