test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] Suggestions forums:

thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
In other online games I have played there has always been a place within the game forums specifically dedicated to player requests/suggestions. It would be nice if the same existed within the neverwinter forums, even if the devs never read the suggestions, simply for the sake of players feeling they have a place to submit their ideas. Also, in the event that the developers do listen to players ideas, (which I honestly in the case of neverwinter think they do, I am fairly certain that they are quite responsive,) then it makes it easier for them to find and reference them if they are all located in a single place. Bear in mind, I am NOT suggesting this as a place for players to whine and complain, rather as a forum for players to offer constructive feedback and share their ideas for what they would like to see in the games future. As it stands, players suggestions are littered throughout the forums in various places and have no local base as to where they all belong.

Post edited by thefabricant on

Comments

• raptorskyfireraptorskyfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I asked this in a Dev Q&A on IRC and I believe the response is that they are looking at ideas (even have someone to feed them to them) but I still think a forum would help.
    Part of Storm-Shore, a RP/PvE guild. http://www.stormshore.com/

I have many alts, I am a class and race rainbow.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    You just posted in the suggestion forums.

You don't need a shiny forum titled suggestions to post suggestions. Case and point: you just suggested something.

However as I have said before, we will not have a trash bin... I mean suggestion forum... Just by having relevant discussions regarding the game and giving feedback about the game you will be suggesting plenty of things to be added.

SSuggestion Forums are just a trash bin. We don't need that. We would rather read the suggestions. :p

So pick a relative forum section for your suggestion and suggest it.
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014

You don't need a shiny forum titled suggestions to post suggestions. Case and point: you just suggested something.

However as I have said before, we will not have a trash bin... I mean suggestion forum... Just by having relevant discussions regarding the game and giving feedback about the game you will be suggesting plenty of things to be added.

SSuggestion Forums are just a trash bin. We don't need that. We would rather read the suggestions. :p

Glad you think players feedback is a trashbin.
    Adding a subforum is soooo hard after all, i couldn't possibly see something like this getting done pre mod 7.

I agree with OP, and would keep me from reading Suggestion threads in general discussion.
  • ngeluzngeluz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Hmmmm, well it has been mention many times that the Devs really dig through all the forums...and I can see why they want to keep it like this, as it CAN be a little overwhelming to dig into a Suggestion Forums as many ideas will just get buried and forgotten...vs a variety of Forums where the devs can just look for specific ideas that are likely to be posted in X forum and wont get buried easily.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Glad you think players feedback is a trashbin.

Feedback is not a trash bin.

Suggestion forums are a trash bin. Developers create a useless suggestion box so that they can set it and forget it. It appeases players and never gets looked at. Period.

Discussing the game is feedback. Look at EVERY thread. It's ALL feedback.
    You do not need to have it in some location titled suggestion box to suggest things and from personal experience devs really do not look in the suggestion forums. They look at active discussions. Even active discussions on social media sites are more likely to be read or generate change than suggestion forums.

Suggestion boxes are a farce. One we will not be taking part in.
    Agree all you want. We care too much to create a trash bin.
    edited October 2014
    This thread is feedback which I am going to respectfully say no it is not going to happen while insulting the very nature of suggestion boxes on forums.

Suggestion Forums are redundant. They have no purpose to exist. It's sort of like having a filing cabinet full of feedback about the game in an organised fashion and then adding another folder which is just a giant mess of everything in the rest of the filing cabinet.

It becomes nothing more than a stack of paper nobody is willing to look through. Any ideas presented in there are more or less guaranteed duplicates of the natural discussions so it sits there and collects dust while players think their posts are even considered. It's a pacifier. I highly doubt you guys are young enough to feel comforted by a pacifier.
    edited October 2014
    Mobile devices don't tend to show links too well as such my reply was in regards to this thread.

The QoL Suggestion Thread is neither.
    It is not for feedback. It is a relay hub.

Although the devs may use it the QoL Thread the main purpose is for players to be able to be able to find threads with ideas they agree or disagree with and be able to voice and discuss their opinions there-in. It's not a suggestion box of it's own and those who are using it as such are more than likely not being heard. Create a thread or contribute in an active discussion as the thread dictates.

However it is time to re-examine updating it as the owner has not done so in a long time.
    Feel free to adds new suggestions with a link to the related threads

The main discussions should be in their own threads. It's not a trash bin or feedback. It's a relay hub.

To continue with the filing cabinet analogy...
    That's akin to having an index with a list of noteworthy file locations at a glance. It's the opposite of having one massive folder with a massive stack of uncategorized and likely duplicate files.

The reason why a suggestion forum is a trash bin is first and foremost because it is redundant and unorganised. An index or pointer system improves organisation and reduces redundancy and thus increasing the ability for developers to gauge the community's reaction and support to feedback.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Feedback is not a trash bin.

Suggestion forums are a trash bin. Developers create a useless suggestion box so that they can set it and forget it. It appeases players and never gets looked at. Period.

Discussing the game is feedback. Look at EVERY thread. It's ALL feedback.
    You do not need to have it in some location titled suggestion box to suggest things and from personal experience devs really do not look in the suggestion forums. They look at active discussions. Even active discussions on social media sites are more likely to be read or generate change than suggestion forums.

Suggestion boxes are a farce. One we will not be taking part in.
    Agree all you want. We care too much to create a trash bin.

Ok, so you are arguing that the developer's look at the popular threads that contain lots of discussion in order to determine what needs to change, so, by that same token, if you had a single nucleated place in which all the suggestions were posted, then the ones which generated discussions would still be the ones which merited attention and maybe some game changes. As it is, there is no set place for the suggestions to be made and while I understand the concern with suggestions forums being, "trash can's that developers make to keep the player base happy," surely they can see how it is convenient to give the suggestions a place of their own worth and surely, its only a trash can if the developers ignore everything written there? For example, this thread, which is a suggestion, may or not be worth discussion, but lets say, for the sake of argument, that it is worth discussion. Now, is this something which falls into the category of general discussion? Lets look at it in comparison to some other threads here, like the one about the greed mentality. That thread, is DEFINITELY general discussion, it concerns the general player base and we can see, at a glance that it is a fairly popular thread. However, does it concern the dev's? Is it something that is giving them constructive feedback on where they can improve their game or on how they can appeal more to their playerbase? No, it doesn't. Due to this, we can see that popular threads in general discussions can quite easily swamp out any suggestions made by the players, whether or not the suggestions are any good. By the same token, the same holds true for all the forums, because suggestions that are made have no set forums, they get posted to all of them which means they have to contest for attention with every thread in every forum for popularity, rather then only contesting with other suggestions. Due to this diluted attention, suggestions may not get the attention they deserve and therefor may not be noticed by the devs, when they really should in the first place. A suggestions forum is only a< "trash bin of ideas" if the devs treat it that way. You say you care to much to create a trash bin, well then prove it, by creating a suggestions forum and then giving it the respect it properly deserves, rather then just ignoring its contents. By not creating a suggestions forums in the first place you aren't, "proving" that you care, you are just showing that you have no interest in moderating one.
    edited October 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    What's the difference between sticking all references to suggestions in 1 thread or dividing them into separate sections?

Because if all suggestions went into one section our forums would be two sections:
    News and Suggestions.

PvP suggestions are alongside foundry suggestions, gear suggestions and PvE stuff. This makes it kinda hard for a dev to say "well we have some spare time to spend on X, let's see if the players have some suggestions about making it better".

That's a non issue because Quality of Life does not mean suggest anything. For instance additional PvP maps is absolutely not Quality of Life. This also ties in to the point the thread is filled with gunk and not being used the way it should be. What people suggest in the thread matters not at all. The only thing which matters is the opening posts.
    edited October 2014
    Um, wow... this is the first game I have ever been that moderators are so *honestly aggressively active answering* in the forums, usually its the hired IN company people who do this...and never this often...

...which bring me to my questions...

Aren't Community Moderators a "volunteer" service hence they don't get paid, only getting "tiny" benefits IN game like monthly Zen etc...?

If so, how much of the information they answer the players is more that just an personal opinion with no real influence or power beyond *cleaning the forums* to give the Devs sum up feedback? How do we know if what Moderators say is official or not?

You see I read the forums constantly and analyse the data in them (I been working companies doing that for 7 years, my current work companies hire me just to go through their *trouble departments* and see, identify and report what the problem is, to be *corrected or dispose of it as soon as possible* I guess its a good habit in games too, saves me the future disappointments ;)), there is a lot of gunk and lots of noise in the forums sadly that makes any good relevant suggestion made almost disappear instantly from them if we din't have such fierce Mods in these forums to clean it up...so I understand the Moderation point of view and the rules they have to enforce...yet for me its important to analyse this because I'm one of those players that simply leave a game as soon as i visualize the current direction its taking is not to my fun factor...

But I'm just very worried because the way most of you answer sound so official, I mean when it comes to the Forums Rules I take it you are the officials...for example this post...you said a very polite *NO* to it...I can see where the answer is coming from...as it means another forums that need to be evaluated and analyse for proper feedback gathering, and that means altering the work module is already implemented, but some of the answer of the games direction, like new races, classes, content, etc... they impact a lot on the players moral to expect or keep playing... and some of the answers seem a little flavored of what you the Moderator would like to see in the game, or maybe its whats going to really happen? :confused:

To sum it up TO WHO WE PLAYERS address our ideas, suggestions or anything in does lines, community managers usually do this I know but all this players vs Moderators confuses me...

How will we know its an official answer or just an opinion flavored with that Moderators D&D preferences or a Moderator trying to politely give the accurate information from the Devs/Wizards of the Sword Cost them selves? :eek:

After all WotSC make the official decision and is Cryptic Devs that make it happen, so that makes them the true officials, no? :rolleyes:
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Because if all suggestions went into one section our forums would be two sections:
    News and Suggestions.

That's a non issue because Quality of Life does not mean suggest anything. For instance additional PvP maps is absolutely not Quality of Life. This also ties in to the point the thread is filled with gunk and not being used the way it should be. What people suggest in the thread matters not at all. The only thing which matters is the opening posts.

If this is how you feel a suggestions forum would impact the other forums, then lets look at the contents of the other forums. In general discussions we see the "greed mentality" thread, it is not a suggestion, in pretty much every class forum we see character builds as well as posts regarding player aesthetics and in the gameplay forum we a lot of things which are not, surprise surprise, suggestions. This shows that if you had a suggestions forum the other forums would not in any way become redundant but rather, all the suggestions would actually have a place of its own.

However, if you feel so strongly about this something as effective as having a suggestions forum would be having a complaint forum, whereby all the people who want to complain about things like, "nerf CW, nerf this, nerf that, this doesn't drop often enough," then have a forum to complain in without degrading the quality of other forums and cluttering them. Note, this isn't a suggestions forum, it isn't there for people to SUGGEST things constructively, it is for people who like to complain about things and by separating their complaints, (which always gets players' opinions and creates the illusion of constructive discussion) then all the other stuff which is actually worth reading through in other forums doesn't get buried under all the whining.
    edited October 2014
    I'll try to answer some of your questions while we're waiting on Ambi to get back:

They are volunteers. They have no real power beyond the forums. In-game they are just regular players with no privileges beyond any compensation they may get for moderating.

We don't. But they do have connections to the community manager and possibly some other PWE employees. This means they are sometimes able to get answers where we cannot. They usually announce it when they managed to get some "official" feedback. With regards to it truly being an official reply and not something made-up: We have no choice but to trust them on that. And it's up to them to create that trust.

Besides being moderator, I know at least 2 of them are players as well. That means they are entitled to their personal opinion as a player and forum user as well as a moderator. The context of their posts usually tells the difference, but they also use different colors in different type of replies. Gold is usually a moderator's notice, while teal/blue-ish is often used for more official statements. As long as they are not using colors, they are generally not on their mod-chair and reply as a normal forum user. I hope that also answers the next question you had.

Far from it. WotC has no official input on the forums. WotC owns the copyright to most of the content used in the game, and therefor there's a lot of cooperation between them and Cryptic/PWE. This usually concerns things like "what makes a goblin a goblin?" and "how can we convert a PnP mind-flayer to an action MMO and stay true to it's character?" Stuff like that. In the last example, a mind-flayer that lacks the ability to at least stun someone is not a mind-flayer, regardless of how he looks. That would go against the canon owned by WotC and therefor we won't have mind-flayers that cannot stun. A dragon that cannot fly is not a dragon but a drake, so in-game we have to call them drakes and not non-flying dragons. You see what I mean?

In some areas, like the last and upcoming module, the cooperation goes a bit further and the game follows the storyline along with the official WotC publications. But it's Cryptic/PWE that has the last word concerning the game itself and any class modifications, dungeon design, campaign progression and the like. Therefor the people listening to our suggestions are Cryptic/PWE employees, even if they have to talk to WotC if certain requests might go against the copyrighted contents of the game.

Hope that helps.
    Mods, if I effed up somewhere, feel free to correct me.

Thank you, that helps a lot make more clear things, specially the color of the letters comment thing you mention...I will be paying attention to those in the future. :o
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Mods, if I effed up somewhere, feel free to correct me.

You did in one point: We aren't compensated in any manner for our services. They are completely voluntary.

Also, some of us use varying colors in our posts, depending on whether we want to emphasize a particular point. But Zeb is usually the one that does that. I do at times but I just usually post what needs to be said and be done with it--I'll leave it to my context and phrasing as to whether my post is an "official" notice or just me blabbing :P

But, yes, we are players as well as moderators.

Now, to get back to the topic at hand...

There's a reason suggestion boxes are, by and large, ineffective. For one, many think that the devs are obligated to read, consider, and implement every suggestion that players come up with. Now, I've heard this from a game developer before--you may have too. It goes something along the lines of "If we implemented every single idea players came up with, what we would be left with is an unplayable mess of a game. Sometimes we have to tell the players, 'this really isn't doable or possible'." Yes, I'm likely paraphrasing but it gets the gist of the message.

Usually, if we see something trending or something popular, we'll bring it up to Akromatik for his meetings with the devs to relay feedback. He'll also ask us if we have any feedback to relay to him.

I moderate more than this forum for PWE, and some of those forums DO have suggestion sub-forums. I have seen one, MAYBE two, of those ideas even considered or implemented in even a limited form over the three years I have been a mod for PWE. So, yes, a suggestion forum would be a feel-good measure at best; a horrid mess of people complaining "why haven't you guys implemented this yet? PWE doesn't care about our suggestions!!" at worst. Devs will develop the game in the direction they wish to take, along with feedback from the players. That's why we have feedback threads--if they were properly used instead of pages of discussion over what someone thinks should be in game interspersed with a few bits of actual feedback.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
    edited October 2014
    You did in one point: We aren't compensated in any manner for our services. They are completely voluntary.

Also, some of us use varying colors in our posts, depending on whether we want to emphasize a particular point. But Zeb is usually the one that does that. I do at times but I just usually post what needs to be said and be done with it--I'll leave it to my context and phrasing as to whether my post is an "official" notice or just me blabbing :P

But, yes, we are players as well as moderators.

Now, to get back to the topic at hand...

There's a reason suggestion boxes are, by and large, ineffective. For one, many think that the devs are obligated to read, consider, and implement every suggestion that players come up with. Now, I've heard this from a game developer before--you may have too. It goes something along the lines of "If we implemented every single idea players came up with, what we would be left with is an unplayable mess of a game. Sometimes we have to tell the players, 'this really isn't doable or possible'." Yes, I'm likely paraphrasing but it gets the gist of the message.

Usually, if we see something trending or something popular, we'll bring it up to Akromatik for his meetings with the devs to relay feedback. He'll also ask us if we have any feedback to relay to him.

I moderate more than this forum for PWE, and some of those forums DO have suggestion sub-forums. I have seen one, MAYBE two, of those ideas even considered or implemented in even a limited form over the three years I have been a mod for PWE. So, yes, a suggestion forum would be a feel-good measure at best; a horrid mess of people complaining "why haven't you guys implemented this yet? PWE doesn't care about our suggestions!!" at worst. Devs will develop the game in the direction they wish to take, along with feedback from the players. That's why we have feedback threads--if they were properly used instead of pages of discussion over what someone thinks should be in game interspersed with a few bits of actual feedback.

Thank you so much for your kind detail explanation...I will take in consideration every word you said from now on when a go to the forums hunting... I am curious now, how many of the Mods I have met IN-GAME and haven't even noticed :confused:
    I put that in as an uncertainty, because 1 it's not our business and 2 I really didn't know if you get compensated at all.

Then, if I may ask such a thing:
    I know you guys and Akro talk a lot among yourself and I'm glad you do. But I feel suggestions like this one are made because people don't feel heard. Of course not everything players suggest can or should be done. We agree on that as I'm sure we all do. But can we do something about the general feeling of not being heard?

For example, is there a way that you, the mods, or Akro himself if he's able to, can retrieve the devs' feeback on the subjects Akro talks about with the devs? It would give people who try to make this game better a feeling of being useful and it might motivate people to come up with decent arguments for whatever they want (to see removed). If they don't feel comfortable doing this on the forums, then perhaps a weekly blog where "popular" issues are discussed.

I think it would do the community good to turn this 1-sided feedback into a dialogue where players learn what the limits of their suggestions are. As an added bonus, moderators won't have to put up with the same request over and over and can simply refer to the answer already given. This will help keep the forums clean and still show the people that they are being heard and make suggestions like the one in the OP obsolete.

Agreed and Amen... For some reason there is so much noise in the forums of useless post of QQing over and over of stuff that its plain to see that its flavored by WHAT that player wants...with its little minions followers... that it literally buried really awesome suggestions, its almost like a plague of locus eating away everything good and the Mods fighting them like angry farmers... it be hilarious if they where so many... I wish I knew anyway we player who like to see this game improve and get better to help in this, besides telling those *trolls* to just leave the game and stop commenting such useless demoralizing stuff that adds nothing positive to it... This game is a *diamond in the rough* with almost limitless potential of growth... I really like to help toward that and CLEAN these forums from does *Apostate Locus Trolls*... (*Light torches and take pitchforks and join the hunt for the trolls locus apostate*) :rolleyes: