Options

Official Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger Changes

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jaotut wrote: »
    Suggestion to change Marauder's Escape and Marauder's Rush to give CC immunity. Right now a lot of classes have been buffed to get CC immunity, while HR still seems rather weak against CC's. If we can have just this 1 skill to time it right to actually escape as the name suggest.

Good suggestion
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    snuff1988snuff1988 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When this class is balanced for pve. Split and Sky is currently not useful class collects amazing aggro despite a companion -25%, which is sick. Not to mention the fact that HR should be a class with a lot of AoE skills. And as a matter of split shot is the only skill that makes sense, rain of arrows is more suitable for single targets (barefoot)on whole groups of mobs that are scattered by other classes in half of the map.
  • Options
    kyonesiverkyonesiver Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I havent had much time to play the archer/hunter class (partly due to complileing probelms caused by the city neverwinter I would explain but im on new member posting probation and thats a general bug and feedback) but I can voice that originaly the ranger (hunter/archer) was profecent in not just long range (they were a long range tank) but had a melee mode that made them a dangeriou and powerful DPS character even without their bow. the only real D&D class to ever be contradictory where dualweild (medium to light weapons basses on class)was more a defence mechinisum was the Arcane Archer (Elf and half elf only type prestige class)

Thus I belive the best sugestion is to take the hunter/archer and add a melee mode that automaticaly turns on when they have to get up close and personal that focuses more on the automatic side of the fighting format as oppose to the trigger bassed skills (like the theif cahracter) carrying a few high powered hits but mostly automacaly triggered skills. The weapon of choise beign dual rapers or longswords or you can let the players desice if they want a longer weapon in one hand and a shorter in the other this is a area up for debait depindant on your equpiting system.

again I stress due to a effect known as "Snowballing" and I am slightly embarissed I would have to explain this to the developers, I will be explaining the effects in full when I make the thread in regards to it. due to a hacker attack on my system 5 yearss ago that was barly fixable I am unable to play this game for extended periods of time if i get snowballing in every main city, therefore I havent gotten to actualy level my hunter very much or to a point I would like to today because of this snowball effect. its more the stress it inflicts on the processing space as appose to the grafics content.
  • Options
    soriniakovsoriniakov Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ancient Roots from trapper tree only reduces dot's dps, but doesn't affect on control duration anyway - it's a bug!

Master Trapper should grants at least 20% damage boost and +40% control duration (e.g., currently it can do nothing against melee hr's health restoring and Crowd Control race bonus)

Melee hr's careful attack & blade hurricane & plague fire enchantment combo deals twice more damage than should: bugged damage triggers I suppose
  • Options
    sexykimberlysexykimberly Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Marauder's Escape should give cc immunity. Piercing Blade should deal more damage. Otherwise, no chance against god mode op GWF.
  • Options
    fledmagicianfledmagician Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My currently build is an archery only ranger, so I need rooting or binding abilities to keep tough enemies at maximum range (where I get a bunch of damage bonuses) but none of the ones provided to the Hunter Ranger seem to work.

the wiki says that neither weak or strong grasping roots actually root, instead use leashing or rubber-band mechanics, but i've seen neither of these.

Constricting Arrow seems to hold the enemies in place for as long as the "bound by roots" animation lasts (1 second, maybe two?) but doesn't slow or leash the enemies at all, (A second look at the tooltip shows that this encounter doesn't mention the Grasping Roots mechanic at all)

The encounter that applies weak grasping roots (Hindering shot?) seems to do nothing at all.

I mean, a little down arrow appears on the target, they take basic damage and get an arrow stick in their leg, but i successfully lured a zombie through three or four rooms in a foundry mission not ten minutes ago, after shooting him with hindering shot. The wiki entry says that it binds enemies to 30ft of where they were hit with this ability, but I saw no sign of that at all.

No noticeable difference in speed, or leashing effect whatsoever.

Binding Arrow Claims to apply "Strong Grasping Roots" but neither the wiki or the tooltip mention what this actually does after dealing the basic damage of the ability, I'm not seeing any sort of slow, root or leashing effect at all.

Is the Grasping Roots Mechanic broken?

edit: was wrong about Constricting Arrow, it doesn't apply grasping roots at all, which explains why it actually has a noticeable (if short) effect.
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My currently build is an archery only ranger, so I need rooting or binding abilities to keep tough enemies at maximum range (where I get a bunch of damage bonuses) but none of the ones provided to the Hunter Ranger seem to work.

the wiki says that neither weak or strong grasping roots actually root, instead use leashing or rubber-band mechanics, but i've seen neither of these.

Constricting Arrow seems to hold the enemies in place for as long as the "bound by roots" animation lasts (1 second, maybe two?) but doesn't slow or leash the enemies at all, (A second look at the tooltip shows that this encounter doesn't mention the Grasping Roots mechanic at all)

Roots on HR are more of a snare and Constricting was a stun... Names are misleading I know. When HR's were first released everyone QQ'd and they nerfed roots because they said the rubberbanding was too powerful. Devs listened and made them worthless so no one uses them. Strong grasping roots are what weak used to be.. but probably still less powerful.

Than HR's used Contricting because it was a decent encounter and better than roots which did nothing. 3 short stuns is what it came out to. Was effective against CW's especially. CW's QQ'd. They changed this to be a root which is why no one really uses it. Changes were also made to Fox Shift because of QQ'ing multiple times in case you were wondering.

So just slot boar's and you will rarely uses those other encounters ever again. In pvp you will most likely use marauders, boars and fox shift. In pve you will probably use thorn, RoA/S and fox shift. Other than that not much else is worth putting points into for encounter powers. At least until they nerf one of these powers because someone else QQ'd.

Welcome to the diverse class that is the Hunter Ranger! I would say nothing is broken... its all WAI.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    soriniakovsoriniakov Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    there is ~0.5sec delay before encounter power can be activated after fast stance shift (before M4 I could activate encounters immediately after stance shift): this is a real problem in pvp
  • Options
    ikapamkikapamk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 294 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Oh, I miss my days as a single-target archer. Constricting shot used to be a lifesaver - gave me time to pull of an aimed shot (honestly, I appreciate the dmg, but the long cast time and easy disruptability made me lay it in the castoff pile).

Now, I'm relegated to AoE builds, which, don't get me wrong, pack a punch. It's just not as fun. I've actually been enjoying my time grinding dailies (what?!?) as my TR and GF, because every dungeon is exactly the same - split, thorn, roa, sts, spam rapid (repeat). If I'm gonna be playing the AoE game, it'd be nice to be able to compete with CWs. I can do 17k in ToS where CWs to 40k.
    Carpe Jugulum
    Sharra Del'Armgo - SW Trapper Hybrid HR
    Ogghra Bar'Ghuzumn - MI Scoundrel TR
    Vænna Thrymskjöldr - IV Protector GF