test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Same-class competition

hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
I had a bad experience on PvE lately and now I wonder how you guys feel about it.
(´・ ω ・`)
Post edited by hefisdo on

Comments

• mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Competitive in PvE?
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I used to, but since I'm a renegade there is no sense in it now.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Competitive...over what? DPS Score? Healing score? How many times you were killed? Seriously? LOL

You can either be competitors or colleagues. In co-op group play I prefer to choose the latter for myself. If you choose the former you may have issues. //justsaying
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hefisdo wrote: »
    Do you feel competitive when there's someone of the same class in your dungeon group?

Yep. Well, at least I feel I may have a chance. Actually a mirror class is the only way for me to avoid last place in all the pages of PainGiver. But well, two gwfs in one DP is a rarity.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    It used to be an issue when people were farming for their Fallen Dragon or similar off-hands; given the truly awful RNG and drop rate. However, some of the pressure has been taken off now, as all suffer in parallel in ToD, rather than in opposition :D
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Obviously, if you go to extremes.
    . But can you honestly say you have never compared your results with the other person if it's similarly geared? Or kept an eye on someone when they play in a way you've never considered before? I'd be lieing if I said I haven't. Not with any bad intentions in mind, but just to see what works better. More importantly, to see if I'm up to par with the other players of my class. If I'm not, I try to learn from how they play.

Any veteran MMO player joining a new game, should be looking at the playstyles of people playing their class. Its the fastest way to learn, even if regardless of a new class, it only takes 1-2 runs watching others to figure out most DDs in any mmo.

The one thing thats getting me now is if I pug Shores on my CW, I seem to always get the aggro, which I try to keep maintained to one area, but for goodness sake being 1 hit sometimes hurts.. easier on my hr and gwf , I can take the random hit and keep moving along.

Maybe I should just stay with legit runs on my CW.. there are plenty in there that will out dps me.. so I dont have to worry as much =P ..
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    . But can you honestly say you have never compared your results with the other person if it's similarly geared? Or kept an eye on someone when they play in a way you've never considered before? I'd be lieing if I said I haven't. Not with any bad intentions in mind, but just to see what works better. More importantly, to see if I'm up to par with the other players of my class. If I'm not, I try to learn from how they play.

Yes, I can honestly and truthfully say that. Whenever that stats window appears my first reaction is to hit the X button to get rid of it. I genuinely don't even have a passing curiosity of those rankings. In general I understand the competitive nature of that stuff. But when it comes to same class, etc.: meh.

And I must reiterate because too many take things too seriously: I know I speak only for myself and I am not saying opposing view or opinion is wrong in any way. :)
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014

I certainly did. When Warlocks were new, the initial guides were, not to put too fine a point on it, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Full of jumping to bad conclusions and misinformation- so in some cases, worse than useless. As a result, we had to try and work it out for ourselves (gasp!) with a bunch of ACT parsing and experimentation. I always took the opportunity to peek at other Warlocks that I was grouped with- and if they seemed to be doing unusually well and appeared to have at least rudimentary language skills, I'd make a mental note, and then whisper them after the dungeon.

Usually, they'd be friendly and helpful, and in no way offended to have me asking silly questions about the finer points of their rotations, what they used and why. Hells yes, I was going to take any opportunity to short-circuit the slow process of getting up to speed- so of course I paid attention to others. Stealing and testing some of their tricks saved me a lot of faffing about :)
  • letojarred1letojarred1 Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    whenever I pug PK and waiting at the 2nd last campfire I always chuckle when other cw trade with me ;)
    StrawberryCheesecake TR
    BlackberryCheesecake CW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CheeseCake House :o
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Competitive...over what? DPS Score? Healing score?

Mainly these two, but wanting to be the best in different ways counts too.

It can be in a friendly or non-friendly way. Me, for example; I get frustrated when I'm behind another CW on damage dealt, but I really don't feel proud or something when I'm at the top. So basically, I'm competitive when I'm not the best, but when I'm in the top of the Paingiver I feel like "whatever?".

It's not something that I can control though. I can't just cease being like that, only if they disable the window with the parses.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Only a tiny bit, in a friendly way, since I primarily run with guild. It's the kind of thing that allows us to compare notes.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    When I was a kid and young adult I used to be real competitive. That has changed now. I am still a little competitive, but not toward someone of the same class in this game.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Luckily my first character was a DC, so I never got in the habit of obsessing over the Paingiver chart. :P

I do check occasionally, like the first time I took my SW into a T2 - I wanted to see if she was pulling her weight. She was 2nd in dps, so I haven't checked the chart since.
  • crusherbeastcrusherbeast Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, depends, if i play as DC and CW i'm best as them in group. But when it comes to TR well point me group with 2 TR's.
    Tairev-TR(All kind of killing tools)
    Asha-DC(Faithful-Anointed Champion)
    Vilgefortz-CW(Thaumaturge-balance)
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Anyone that's ever been in groups thay chain run cn knows people get competitive about paingiver. Its why you get a lot of running to the next area before finishing off the mobs you were killing. Of course at some point everyone figures out that paingiver is usually just a count of who was first in to the next room/to hit their daily.
    edited September 2014
    ..though one thing that I forgot. If you're trying to get good ACT parses to check stat changes, it's REALLY annoying to be in a three SW group. Tyrannical Threat is up most of the time, and all numbers are fanciful and near-meaningless, plus stuff is incinerated before you can even finish a rotation. So if I find two other SWs in my group in this situation, I am the opposite of competitive. I slack awfully as I might as well be AFK :D
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think this has to do with age, most younger players feel the need to be the best in dungeons and such. I couldn't care less about that anymore, because getting worked up about a game is a waste of mindspace, but I used to have a need to be recognised for awesomeness when i was of a younger age.

The good thing about this game is, if you care about such things you can bring it up and watch it throughout your run. If not, then you will never/rarely see the meters before you exit the dungeon so you will never know or have to care about it. All i want in a dungeon run is it to be smooth and efficient.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".