test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

5 million Gmail accounts hacked

charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Off Topic
Wanted to cross post this here just in case to help keep anyone's account safe, 5 million gmail accounts just had their passwords leaked.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/russian-hackers-release-5-million-gmail-usernames-and-97147084299.html

Changing passwords if you use gmail may be in order.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    google already works with the nsa, so its not like someone out there didnt already have access to gmail emails lol
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thanks just did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Most of the passwords are old, but if you haven't changed you password in the last few months, please do it.

Also, if you have the ability, consider setting up 2-factor authentication with you email. It's pretty easy, and it's another layer to help protect you, and possibly your gaming accounts associated with the email.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • stevebobbstevebobb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 47
    edited September 2014
    biggest suggestion is not to overreact to this, some good info here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2fzrdt/5_million_gmail_usernames_and_passwords_leaked/

The gist is, other sites were hacked, they found users of the hacked site(s) that used their gmail email address for the account, they made the assumption that the users used the same password for the hacked site that they used for gmail (which some people do) and published this list.

I searched my gmail address on the "was I hacked" website suggested by the original poster's article, it "found" it, and even showed the first few letters of the password. It didn't match my gmail email address password. It did match a simple password I typically use for junk sites.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cheers for the heads up.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My former contrymen <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the internet again - . -

Luckily enough I was not "pwn'd"
  • ellodrithellodrith Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From Google on the issue:
    One of the unfortunate realities of the Internet today is a phenomenon known in security circles as “credential dumps”—the posting of lists of usernames and passwords on the web. We’re always monitoring for these dumps so we can respond quickly to protect our users. This week, we identified several lists claiming to contain Google and other Internet providers’ credentials.

We found that less than 2% of the username and password combinations might have worked, and our automated anti-hijacking systems would have blocked many of those login attempts. We’ve protected the affected accounts and have required those users to reset their passwords.

more info: Cleaning up after password dumps

cheers
    Ellodrith
  • baddielbaddiel Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Meh, this happens from time-to-time, nothing you can really do about it. Changing your password probably doesn't make much of a difference to the security of any accounts. If they can get it once, they can get it again. I've had the same passwords for ages, years, across multiple accounts for various things and only been hacked once.

They're not what I would call "real" hackers anyway, most of these guys are just bored at home and with a little bit of know-how decided to be a pain in the backside. Professional hackers won't even bother with email accounts and the like. They tend to target large companies, banks and such. Or work for some form of internet security company, helping to develop software and methods to combat hacking.

So long as you have some form of up-to-date antivirus and activated firewall, you're pretty safe from getting anything that could seriously mess up your PC. And just don't go opening up any random emails, straight in the junk folder.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Already checked mine, no password reset necessary...
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, my mail is on the list, but the password is something I use somewhere else. It's not even close.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, my mail is on the list, but the password is something I use somewhere else. It's not even close.

Same(ish). One of my emails on the list, yet the password is (I think...) one I used a few years ago lol.

Still changed it, thanks for posting this.