test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• encadiencadi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 67
    edited August 2014
    dasvadanya wrote: »
    I doubt that man, there's already 2 fighter classes in the game... I think they'd be disappointing a substantial number of people if they were to make a 3rd without first having some other varieties available

Check the character creation screen and see the greyed out Symbol =p
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    encadi wrote: »
    Check the character creation screen and see the greyed out Symbol =p

That has been the coming soon symbol since before module one.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • dasvadanyadasvadanya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    That has been the coming soon symbol since before module one.

Yeah it has nothing to do with the upcoming class its just a standard coming soon symbol
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think next class will be some sort of barbarian or dual wield fighting warrior cause thats the symbol of the enxt class on character creation screen

We got enough strikers.
  • powerpuffponypowerpuffpony Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Based on the info below I would bet $1 it will be the druid:

October 8th, 2013:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/28/5028776/neverwinters-next-expansion-adds-hunter-class-paragon-paths-and-more

Producer Andy Velasquez FTA:

"I can imagine the Druid will probably be, if not the next one that we start next, it will probably be soon, because just about everyone when they say, 'What about new classes, like the Ranger or Druid?' Those are the two they always talk about."
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    With the way they are designing classes right now, a Paladin class would be somewhat difficult to make. Using the Cleric as an example, it is really only half of the class. There is no mechanism for turning undead, healing for the most part is tacked onto other skills. "Laying On Hands", "Curing Disease", "Protection from Evil", "Detect Evil" are all utility skills. None of the classes to this point have had their utility skills translated into the game except as secondary effects of some form of damage skill. Excepting Stealth for Thieves, but that is the only utility skill from thieves that has made it into the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dasvadanyadasvadanya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    With the way they are designing classes right now, a Paladin class would be somewhat difficult to make. Using the Cleric as an example, it is really only half of the class. There is no mechanism for turning undead, healing for the most part is tacked onto other skills. "Laying On Hands", "Curing Disease", "Protection from Evil", "Detect Evil" are all utility skills. None of the classes to this point have had their utility skills translated into the game except as secondary effects of some form of damage skill. Excepting Stealth for Thieves, but that is the only utility skill from thieves that has made it into the game.

Agreed for the most part... I think hybrid classes are just inherently more difficult to design. With a pure class, CW, TR, HR... they really only have one function, blow **** up. How they do this, of course, is where the fine tuning will happen, but if something goes wrong with one of these classes (ie. over/under powered) it's really only a matter of some tweaks to bring the class back in line. With a hybrid, you are always walking a fine line between too powerful, and just powerful enough. For example, a paladin that hits like a truck, but still has above average healing is going to be insanely OP. But how do you fix that without completely breaking the class? It's very difficult to keep a multifaceted class in a state where most people find them acceptable, like anything in life, the more parts something has, the more likely it is to break.
  • kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Monk. There has been nothing like the Monk yet. Monks are awesome! Burning adamntine fists of rage!
  • souleshasoulesha Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kurtb88 wrote: »
    Monk. There has been nothing like the Monk yet. Monks are awesome! Burning adamntine fists of rage!

Of course, they'd have to have a KAMEHAME-HA!! as well, or at least a hadoken.

I think a monk would be really fun :) But what would their class feature be?
  • xtremozxtremoz Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lol... the game have enough classes right now, what we need its a mod with new content, not new class mod 2 we got MC, mod 3 VT mod 4 a dragon dungeon, i am not sure about u guys, but where are the new 4 different dungeons each doping a part of the set?

lets say running the same dungeon over and over and over again to get coin/seals and hope for the right wep or piece drop on a boss its boring, i dont like pvp that much but 2 maps? its not that hard to choose any a dungeon area put 3 flags on it and a 2 campfires, is it??

7 classes just 5 man dungeons? wheres is my Epic heroic dungeon design for 7 man (1 of each class) our a guild vs guild map? and for those who like to chalenge themself where is the 1 man epic dungeon?? or epic arena with several rounds where u have to survive alone with some exclusive reward for beating lv x or y?

where is the craft synergy? where 1 job need item craft on another as part of the recepies so ppl with lv20 in 1 or 2 jobs sell/trade item with other players?

or where is the accessory craft profession?? let ppl craft unique rings belts neck craft a neck with no status and then craft a gem/enchant for those rings/belts/neck.

that's what going to make the game better not a new class. players are making and living new chars not cuz they are better or just because they are needed or just for the "fun" of doing the same quest line for 4th or 5th time. they do new chars and lv them cuz they are tired not of the tr or dc they play, but cuz they are tired of running the same dungeon alll the time using the same skills fighting the same boss u did it do many times u can do it with 1 hand while answering a phone call.

so ask for new dungeons map or even a lv cap like 80.
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think next class will be some sort of barbarian or dual wield fighting warrior cause thats the symbol of the enxt class on character creation screen

Thats the same symbol thats been there since before the HR was even added.
  • encadiencadi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 67
    edited August 2014
    Thats the same symbol thats been there since before the HR was even added.

Still they are bound to use it, also notice the General Dragonborn seems to be such class with dual wield weapons so..
  • yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would just love it if a Psionicist were to arrive in Neverwinter. Powers of the Mind ,were always my favorite. What can i say? I just love Dark Sun.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • g0dfr3yg0dfr3y Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I'm sure you're right. There are some things they could do with paladins -- make them defenders without shields, make them rely more on self-healing than damage mitigation for survival -- but ultimately they can only be another armored knight class in a game that already has two.

So, I hope Cryptic will look first at giving us something we don't already have.

We don't have...

...a spellcaster tank. In 2nd edition D&D, with all their defensive spells, wizards were the tanks at high level. Caster tanks live on in WoW (the druid) and TOR (the assassin). I don't know if you can build one in 4th edition D&D, but Cryptic can do whatever it wants. Some possibilities: a druid who tanks in bear form; an illusionist wizard who tanks with mirror image and phantasmal killer.

...a true ranged martial class (HR are primal, or primal/martial). I suggested making a crossbow rogue. Some might prefer a warlord or artificer here.

...a melee healer class. The DC usually stands at melee range so this might not be so different, but I'm sure I'm not the only who would be excited about a Battle Cleric class. Warlord or a druid healer might also work, or even bard.

...a bard, druid, monk, or psionicist. People who are fans of these classes have nothing that's close right now to play.
  • solthusx2solthusx2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    g0dfr3y wrote: »
    I'm sure you're right. There are some things they could do with paladins -- make them defenders without shields, make them rely more on self-healing than damage mitigation for survival -- but ultimately they can only be another armored knight class in a game that already has two.

So, I hope Cryptic will look first at giving us something we don't already have.

We don't have...

...a spellcaster tank. In 2nd edition D&D, with all their defensive spells, wizards were the tanks at high level. Caster tanks live on in WoW (the druid) and TOR (the assassin). I don't know if you can build one in 4th edition D&D, but Cryptic can do whatever it wants. Some possibilities: a druid who tanks in bear form; an illusionist wizard who tanks with mirror image and phantasmal killer.

With regards to a spellcaster tank in 4th Ed. there is the swordmage class. It is even specific to the setting (as in it appears in the Forgotten Realms Players guide)
  • g0dfr3yg0dfr3y Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    solthusx2 wrote: »
    With regards to a spellcaster tank in 4th Ed. there is the swordmage class. It is even specific to the setting (as in it appears in the Forgotten Realms Players guide)

Oops, how'd I miss the most obvious spellcaster tank option?

I think swordmages would look great in this game and complement the existing classes well.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well I voted Bard because I've always liked Bard classes since my PnP days. I'd be happy with a Monk or Psion also. These would be unique class types in NW rather than new flavours of existing class types.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited September 2014
    Voted for Paladin myself, but would be quite happy with Monk or Swordmage as well.
  • phrausttphraustt Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2014
    While I enjoy Paladins, the Bard wins this one for me. Mechanically, I don't much think Paladins would be different enough from the existing Fighter classes to add them in just yet. Bards (along with Psions and a handful of others) are pretty far removed from anything currently in the game. Not to mention the fact that I've only seen one other decent MMO that offers a Bard (which was very oddly executed, in my personal opinion. You guys know the one).

Besides that, they have a special place in my heart. The Bard was my first character in D&D as well as in Neverwinter Nights (which remains my favorite video game of all time).
  • hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If I wanted to see a Paladin I would go play WOW . In fact if you do put them in this game I think I shall have to find something else to do with my time . I like to play both tanks and clerics but if they put a paladin in the game there is no need for either. :(
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Voted for Swordmage. We need a Gish class.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think Druid or monk would be fun - want a melee class with some sort of casting abilities. I think Monk playstyle with fast fists and agility would be awesome.

Agreed with whomever was here - i want a super hard dungeon with BoE gear i can sell, please please please!
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Having a class of oriental culture like monk can be cool. But before Sprint being took away from GWF, we would never see monk in the game. Sprint is supposed to be a distinctive ability which only belongs to lightweight classes which have high mobility and agility, such as monk and ninja. It should not have been given to heavily armored warriors who wear full plate in the first place. When a should-be clunky warrior class is allowed to run so fast, monk needs to run even more faster, which would be too much. Besides, GWF being implemented like that is an evidence that the implementator knew very little to nothing about D&D.
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, I really want to see Monk and as such voted on that, but I would be happy to see a Druid as well. Paladin, I would have to say "Meh".

My money is on Monk and Druid as the next classes.

Also, wouldn't it be cool if they actually released both classes at once!?
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I really want to see shapeshifter druid as the next class. It'd be awesome to be able to play that.

Or bard, as both hold my interest pretty high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
    edited September 2014
    Technically the 4th Ed. shapeshifter class would be the Warden , a defender class. From what I heard the 3rd. Ed. Druid's abilities was divided among 3 classes in 4th Ed. ; the Shaman (Leader), Druid (Controller) and Warden (Defender). Yes, the 3rd Ed. Druid had enough abilities for three complete classes :cool:
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Whatever class you make next, just make sure that class replaces as many other existing classes as possible. You know, like you did with HR and SW.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Quest in IWD that opens up the new dungeon and skirmish has a few Druids hanging about , is there any way to get them into combat or aren't any enemies on the map when the Druids are standing about ? I didn't think to try to get them into combat , I wish I had done now, I'd love to see what skills they have equipped.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Monk would have a ton of votes if it had its own category, rather than being lumped with a bunch of classes no one has heard of.
  • lazullisknightlazullisknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My idea for Druid class

Roles: DPS or Healing.
    Weapons: Staff and Talisman
    Class Mechanic: Shape-shifting: You turn into a fierce wolf, increasing your damage by 15% and changing you At Wills, Encounters and Dailies.(This would be on a meter, like Stealth
    Wolf Powers:
    At Wills:
    Claw: Claw your target, dealing damage.
    Bite: Bite at your targets ankles, dealing damage and knocking them prone.
    Encounters:
    Jump Bite: Leap at you target's throat, dealing damage, pushing them slightly and adding a bleed effect.
    Rush the Weakened: Run at your target, dealing extra damage based on missing health and debuffs.
    Rest: Curl up in a ball, slowly restoring HP and Stamina.
    Dailies
    Alpha of the Pack: Call forth your mighty wolf pack. The summoned wolves will attack any enemy the see, however, you can mark targets for them to attack by activating this power again while targeting a foe. The maximum amount of targets is three.
    Howl of the Moon: Howl at the moon, restoring you and your party's health and granting your party Action Points.
    Paragon Path:
    Dragon Druid:
    At Will: Dragon's Breath: Unleash a steady stream of fire from your mouth, igniting your targets and dealing damage over time.
    Encounter: Dragon's Wings: You create phantasmal dragon wings, flapping them once. All enemies within 40 Ft. in front of you are pushed back and proned for .2 sec.
    Daily: True Dragon: The next time you activate Shape-shifting, you transform into a powerful dragon. While in Dragon form, your powers are changed and your defense is increased.
    DRAGON FORM POWERS
    At Wills: Dragon's Breath, Claw
    Encounters: Dragon's Wings.
    Dragon's Roar: You unleash a mighty roar, stunning all foes within 100 ft of you.(LONG COOLDOWN)
    Tail Swipe: You swing your tail behind you, knocking enemies prone.

I know a lot of things are missing(the rest of the powers, feats, second Paragon Path, blablah), but I hope this could eventually be a class
This discussion has been closed.