test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Request: Can we have THIS Foundry?

eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Foundry
What can we do to get this Foundry released instead of the pablum-ized version we have now?

List-Aug18-5.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    raptorskyfireraptorskyfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Right? I want it like that too!
    Part of Storm-Shore, a RP/PvE guild. http://www.stormshore.com/

I have many alts, I am a class and race rainbow.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    what is that? I'm guessing neverwinter nights?
    I've heard you can have much more customized options, is that right?
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    That's actually a Foundry image from early beta (v0.8) before they dumbed it down and crippled it "for the masses."
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Yes, it would be quite nice to be able to use this foundry. Apart from it's sleeker look, though, you said they "crippled" it. Were there things this one could do that the current foundry cannot?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Mmmm...and the functional difference is? Also i like the present one more, its cleaner. And i guess ur wish will come true to an extent, i cant c a problem in colorizing the gui ahuahuahua.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    bardaaron wrote: »
    Apart from it's sleeker look, though, you said they "crippled" it. Were there things this one could do that the current foundry cannot?

Not really obvious from the image alone, but...
    • Bottom: Drow Patrol: Advanced Behavior?
    • Bottom: Drow Patrol: States?
    • Top Right: Buildings?
    • Top Right: NPC Groups?
    • Top Right: Kit/Type/Light?

I think there was more you could see in an old beta foundry video but I couldn't find it again.
    I seem to remember much more npc/costume options for one thing.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not so much that they crippled it as that they never got around to completing a lot of the features and bug-fixes. The current released version is what's left after removing (disabling and hiding?) the incomplete stuff and bigger "game-breaking" type bugs. Also some of the features supported in the Foundry were not yet (or even ever) implemented/completed into the live version of the game - all this if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately Foundry is more or less into maintenance mode, though last official word (long time ago, mind you) is that there will be a 'heavy push" on Foundry development to further features and bug fixes soon™. :)
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well i never saw the "former" editor but, advanced behavior might as well be just behavior options we have, states their "appear/disappear when", buildings, kit and type are asset "descriptions" we have just in a bit different way (and i think better because u can check multiple boxes when searching/filtering the lib). NPC Groups might be encounters or simple npc clusters (maybe am blind but i cant c encounters otherwise).

To me it looks the same with different wording and window placement.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Not really obvious from the image alone, but...
    • Bottom: Drow Patrol: Advanced Behavior?
    • Bottom: Drow Patrol: States?
    • Top Right: Buildings?
    • Top Right: NPC Groups?
    • Top Right: Kit/Type/Light?

I think there was more you could see in an old beta foundry video but I couldn't find it again.
    I seem to remember much more npc/costume options for one thing.

As Maegmaag mentioned, without seeing what it actually involves, "Advanced Behavior" could be the same things we can already do. "Advanced" makes it SOUND exciting, but unless you can tell me something in there that we can't do, calling it such doesn't mean anything. "States" is very ambiguous, so I don't know what that was about. "Buildings" are details at present, so unless these either had more of them, or had ones you could place in an outdoor map that you could open up and had things inside, that's nothing special.

It looks to me like "Kit/Type/Light" were search parameters, which might well help when it comes to finding things (a problem when things often have names that don't make much sense, or else are misspelled--pedistal? Seriously?), so that would be nice to have at least. Anything that makes searching through the asset library a bit less tedious would be nice. But that's not really clear from the picture.

If there were in fact more costume options, then I want them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not so much that they crippled it as that they never got around to completing a lot of the features and bug-fixes. The current released version is what's left after removing (disabling and hiding?) the incomplete stuff and bigger "game-breaking" type bugs. Also some of the features supported in the Foundry were not yet (or even ever) implemented/completed into the live version of the game - all this if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately Foundry is more or less into maintenance mode, though last official word (long time ago, mind you) is that there will be a 'heavy push" on Foundry development to further features and bug fixes soon™. :)

If I remember correctly, they actually said module 4 or 5. We just had module 4 launch a couple weeks ago, so we still aren't out of that point yet.

Also, in response to the OP, couldn't one of those have been what became the behavior nodes? No idea what states would have been, but that could have been something like idle animations too. (This was beta, the names aren't necessarily going to describe everything perfectly.) Most of the other things you listed would basically be search categories, with the exception of NPC groups which looks interesting, but probably just was something similar to clusters but for NPCs.

Basically, some of this could have been stuff we don't have, but I've got a feeling most of this was just done a different way rather than removed.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Let's all cross fingers for this big foundry push to happen, and for it to have lots of cool new features.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Basically, some of this could have been stuff we don't have, but I've got a feeling most of this was just done a different way rather than removed.

Yep, probably. I'm "mostly" basing it on vague memories of a beta foundry walkthru video long long ago, but looking at the image doesn't really show anything different than what we've got other than some cleanup and UI shuffling.

The big thing to realize is that "our" Foundry editor is a consumer-crippled, simplified version of "their" internal editor.
    One of their "big benefits" they claim is their common code-base among their graphics/combat engine (City of Heroes, Star Trek, Neverwinter) are all sharing massive amounts of code at their core. Foundry is no different, they sure wouldn't have an entirely separate codebase for their internal tool and our Foundry editor.

So, I still submit -- "uncripple" even less. Or even add an "Advanced" option that unlocks more difficult to understand features.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, I'd love to have the ability to actually create something similar to the standard levelling areas.
    If we could have real sidequests in the foundry (that could show in the quest tracker and all) we could make areas filled with quests, pretty similar to a real area, and that could serve as a great alternative to levelling.
    I'd love to shape such areas to give more options for leveling players. (Also, I'd FILL them with easter eggs for those who like exploring XD)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I WANT ROBOBO BACK, PLEASE.
    'nuff said.
    ;-)

Though I refuse to hold my breath on it, I am 'cautiously optimistic' that good things are coming to Foundry, hopefully a bit sooner than later. Word from @CrypticGMC at Twitter is that they are now really active on rehashing Devoted Clerics (it sounds like a virtual rebuild) and his excitement is coming through. I really hope he (or another Dev) at least teases some Foundry goodness in that Twitter stream soon.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    what is that? I'm guessing neverwinter nights?
    I've heard you can have much more customized options, is that right?
    That's not the NWN toolset, the NWN (2) toolset looks like this:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3879894/nwo/nwn2_toolset_1.jpg
    This is one ward of a five ward city, built from flat terrain that the author sculpted. Those little triangles mark where the ai npcs are supposed to take some action.

In the middle you can see where the author can turn on or off the showing of various things in the area. There is no 2d editor like the Foundry, the toolset is a full 3d editor.

On the right you can see the author's options for changing the lighting of the area. There is a day/night cycle so you can change it for each period, or import preset lighting.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3879894/nwo/nwn2_toolset_2.jpg
    In the background in blue/black/green you can see part of the script the author wrote implementing a custom system to determine if npc's notice that the player is carrying a weapon on them. In this module, npc's will do things like refuse to talk to you if you are holding a weapon, and bouncers that will pat you down for weapons, and not let you into places if they find them. The author also implemented clothing that allows you to more easily hide weapons on yourself.*

The window in the middle shows some of the options for an npc. There are also tabs to set inventory, stats, special abilities, costume, etc.

To the right is part of the built in script writing assistance utility. Someone wrote an external script helper that lets you make custom scripts to handle most common things with a few choices, doing the actual scripting for you.

On the far right is a partial list of vfx, you'd have to scroll down to see the rest. There is an integrated vfx editor for making custom vfx if you wanted.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3879894/nwo/nwn2_toolset_3.jpg
    On the left is the dialog editor. You can set your conditions and actions to take during dialog here. A word count for the conversation is right below the window. Below that is where the author can assign animations to play, control the camera etc. The toolset word count for this campaign comes in at 362, 000.

On the right is a listing of some of the triggers and traps available. The underlined ones are custom triggers the author wrote. There are some 50-60 different traps, you can actually kill the player with them if you want.

The campaign shown lasts about ten hours. It can be completed without ever killing anything.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    wow! that looks like you can really customize things.
    2e2qwj6.jpg