test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bring Back the Original TR!!

myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Thieves' Den
Now that we have all had time to see how much harm was done to the PvE portion of the game by the developers responding to the "squeaky wheel" GWF PvPers, I think it is high time to let the TRs have their damage back! I mean, they are weak anyways when it comes to mobs and they are squishy with their lower armor class. The single target damage potential was the TR's best feature! Nerfing their single-target damage potential pulled the TR way out of balance with the rest of the classes in the PvE portion of the game. Also, it made the GWF the stand-alone (and heavily lopsided) ruler in PvP!

Giving the single-target damage BACK to the TR would put them where they should be in PvE and would create more competition against the overpowered GWF in PvP. :)
SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hate to break it to you but in a few days GWF are worse off than TR's.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    Now that we have all had time to see how much harm was done to the PvE portion of the game by the developers responding to the "squeaky wheel" GWF PvPers, I think it is high time to let the TRs have their damage back! I mean, they are weak anyways when it comes to mobs and they are squishy with their lower armor class. The single target damage potential was the TR's best feature! Nerfing their single-target damage potential pulled the TR way out of balance with the rest of the classes in the PvE portion of the game. Also, it made the GWF the stand-alone (and heavily lopsided) ruler in PvP!

Giving the single-target damage BACK to the TR would put them where they should be in PvE and would create more competition against the overpowered GWF in PvP. :)

I didn't play back then but I'm willing to bet that CW single-target damage can be more than an old TR in PVE with the latest buffs on preview. Plus they have all that control stuff. So I wouldn't expect any invites.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »

I am not sure about that. Some people have said they are just modifying some aspects of the GWF's encounter attacks and that they will still be just about as tough - something about no more "prone" but "stun" in its place.

Either way, the TR needs to get its damage back - it balances the class as the TR is already weak against mobs and have moderately low armor.

I used to so love using Shocking Execution on a boss and watch the boss' health bar drop dramatically. Now it just drops a little. . . :(
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited August 2014
    I didn't play back then but I'm willing to bet that CW single-target damage can be more than an old TR in PVE with the latest buffs on preview. Plus they have all that control stuff. So I wouldn't expect any invites.

Yes, the CW can deal some good single-target damage as well as mobs. Of course the "balance" of that is their weak armor.

Independent of that, the TR is still out of balance - needs to be brought back to the "good old days." :)

• lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Don't believe the hype. I've played against the new builds on preview.
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    As far as PvE is concerned I'm torn to be honest. Yes the old TR was much stronger. But, my TR can still keep up with my CW when it comes to single target damage. I can still melt a.. yeti or a hammerer for example faster on my TR than I can on my CW. The only reason the TR isn't wanted is exactly that. Single target damage and competition from a tank that's a potential bigger damage dealer and AoE to boot: the GWF. But calling it weak.. well no. Not really. It turns weak when everyone starts spamming AoE and knockbacks over the place, but otherwise it's definitely not weak.
    That's not to say it can't use a boost to compete a little more with a GWFs damage on a single target. It would only be fitting that a single target dps class does at least as well against a single target than an AoE dps class does.

In PvP, it's another story entirely. A dps class being reduced to a node contester is just shameful to the class. But I'm not sure it's damage per se that needs to be increased to drag the TR out of hiding. Other mechanics can be just as alternative.
    A single target short range smoke bomb variation for instance (throwing sand in an opponent's eye and briefly stunning your opponent) would give TRs a fighting chance against all this overpowering control or damage from a single target it now has to face. I'll be the first to admit that perma stealth is not a solution. It's merely a symptom of a larger issue. In this case, the lack of survivability on a TR outside stealth and ITC (which my TR doesn't even have).

All good information. I would never consider using the perma-stealth build because it just seems so unrealistic for a roleplayer like myself. And yes, my TR can do decent damage, but I miss the wrath I used to be able to invoke with Shocking Execution . . .

edited August 2014
    lwedar wrote: »
    Don't believe the hype. I've played against the new builds on preview.

I've played on preview. My GWF is now a mule to me. It feels like a gimp compared to everything but a DC.
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    The thing is, TR aren't "squishy". I don't know why many players say this, maybe too many people go full dps but rogues have high deflect chance and 75% deflect severity, also having some good defensive powers and able to go stealth and regen to full hp fast is very good.

A good rogue with high end gear in pvp is almost unkillable and they are good in pve too, I admit though in pve rogues dmg is bad while having good defense but having high dmg too would make rogues the best class in pvp so a balance is needed, maybe a path choice, like one mainly based on dmg and another focusing on a more defensive style.

Edit: Or maybe more Aoe powers.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Signed!!!!!
  • crusherbeastcrusherbeast Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited August 2014

That definitely has to happen.
    Tairev-TR(All kind of killing tools)
    Asha-DC(Faithful-Anointed Champion)
    Vilgefortz-CW(Thaumaturge-balance)
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    The thing is, TR aren't "squishy". I don't know why many players say this, maybe too many people go full dps but rogues have high deflect chance and 75% deflect severity, also having some good defensive powers and able to go stealth and regen to full hp fast is very good.

A good rogue with high end gear in pvp is almost unkillable and they are good in pve too, I admit though in pve rogues dmg is bad while having good defense but having high dmg too would make rogues the best class in pvp so a balance is needed, maybe a path choice, like one mainly based on dmg and another focusing on a more defensive style.

Edit: Or maybe more Aoe powers.

Full hp fast? You need 8 seconds of stealth without attacking or being attacked to recieve the first full tick of regen.
    We are the class with the lowest ac, the lowest hp (30k hp is the best we xan reach) the most broken feats (they just dont work), charisma doesbt add combat advantage bonus damage and we have just 1 viable set of gear to play with...or better... to be alive with
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Nope. TRs were masters of single target DPS. No other class compared, which is why they were hit so hard. PvP was ALL about single target DPS. Obviously I haven't compared launch day TRs to Mod 4 CWs, but TRs hit Hard and Often.
  • yuccapalmyuccapalm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    You want the days back when shocking did 30k+ non crit on full hp targets and lashing blade 30k+ crit with lurkers and 4x 10k crit impact shot? If TR would get most of their dmg back invis should break as soon as you hit an at will.
    edited August 2014
    yuccapalm wrote: »
    You want the days back when shocking did 30k+ non crit on full hp targets and lashing blade 30k+ crit with lurkers and 4x 10k crit impact shot? If TR would get most of their dmg back invis should break as soon as you hit an at will.

Ok then GWF unstoppable has to break each time when use any at-will or encounter. Same HR has to have 10 seconds cooldown between melee and ranged attacks. CW needs to have 1/2 dmg of TR in each skill. Also GF, DC, CW has to have useless tab skill. Then, only then you can talk about destroying TR tab. If not you are simple hypocrite.
  • yuccapalmyuccapalm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Ok then GWF unstoppable has to break each time when use any at-will or encounter. Same HR has to have 10 seconds cooldown between melee and ranged attacks. CW needs to have 1/2 dmg of TR in each skill. Also GF, DC, CW has to have useless tab skill. Then, only then you can talk about destroying TR tab. If not you are simple hypocrite.

Useless? all your spells get extras when using them from invis + u can go invis and don't attack to hold node or escape. And I would gladly have my unstoppable break each time i use an at will if I'd get the op dmg of the old TR.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think old TR is too much (or maybe now with tenacity it wouldn't be? I don't really know) but TRs really really need something done, more damage, more ways to defend himself other than stealth and the miserable 2 evades.
    TR should be a glass gannon in theory, high damage and low defense, but he needs ways to defend himself, other than stealth and the lousy 2 evades. ItC is good but it's only for MIs.
    I think TRs need to have their damage buffed up, more evades (at least 3 without feats) useless skills and feats fixed, like VP, or the combat advantage bug. They need armor penetration added with a stat like other classes too.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Nope. TRs were masters of single target DPS. No other class compared, which is why they were hit so hard. PvP was ALL about single target DPS. Obviously I haven't compared launch day TRs to Mod 4 CWs, but TRs hit Hard and Often.

I'd bet a new CW would be able to out-dps an old TR on single target using just the at-will ray of frost.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The damage, while less than desirable compared to others, is still sufficient, its just not spectacular.

But the whole damage thing with TR's is a sore subject. Should it be increased? Yes. But not to the levels that it was. But their damage should be brought in line with the other primary damage dealing classes.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They will - right after they un-nerf every other class.
  • bananachefbananachef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Needs a stealth rework to bring TRs up to date.
    2 GWFS, 3 TRs, 2 GFs, 1 HR, 1 CW
    edited August 2014
    bananachef wrote: »
    Needs a stealth rework to bring TRs up to date.

Exactly. Stealth is a very very powerful mechanic in that you can perma-stealth. Now Perma's aren't who would be getting a dps boost in theory, but they need to be very very careful that you don't create a build that can 80% ish perma, throw some daggers and then finish off any player with a lashing blade (example) then hit a shadow strike on another player and go back into stealth to repeat the process. Because of this any damage buff needs to go with some stealth rebalancing as well. I'm not sure where the specifics should be, but I do think that a rebalance of this sort would be in everyone's best interest.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    AN easy way to get that would be (as others have suggested) to have important stealth extending feats on a different path than damage feats, so you either spec for more stealth or more damage, but not both.
    I agree that stealth needs to be reworked too though.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Indeed it should be reworked. Most important rework is to make it useful not like now people can see where stealth player is going. Stealth needs to work not like now people exploit and can see the TR anyway. It's like your gwf unstoppable would once be working and once just not working.
    And about that feats move it's reasonable change.
  • discriminatingdiscriminating Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2014
    ...but they need to be very very careful that you don't create a build that can 80% ish perma, throw some daggers and then finish off any player with a lashing blade (example) then hit a shadow strike on another player and go back into stealth to repeat the process.

Um... this build already exists in plenty. It's just that our LBs hit for 20K and below compared to the ridiculous amounts they used to.

You are correct, though, that without thinking through the impacts of stealth, you can't make wholesale changes to TRs damage and call it good. But it seems that you could design the trees in such a way that you need to choose stealth or damage and penalize the other accordingly.
  • shadowbunsliceshadowbunslice Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014

If you talking about the "good old days" Tr had triple the ST damage of any other class, Though to fully realize this they had to use certain powers and definitely spec executioner. Then again CW could use some highly obscure bugs to do 500k+ crits with ice knife, tho this was only really useable on bosses. If you saw a completely un-nerfed rogue in action today with all the more powerful gear and the advanced knowledge and technique that has developed over time it would be uncommon to see a DD party without one. They would simply shred any elite mob in an instant and melt bosses like butter.
    edited August 2014
    Um... this build already exists in plenty. It's just that our LBs hit for 20K and below compared to the ridiculous amounts they used to.

You are correct, though, that without thinking through the impacts of stealth, you can't make wholesale changes to TRs damage and call it good. But it seems that you could design the trees in such a way that you need to choose stealth or damage and penalize the other accordingly.
    A 20k hit doesn't concern me.