test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

how do you actually play this game through arc?

cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
prior to today, I have used the launcher to play NW, but I had to reinstall my OS today, and since, I have been forced to download ARC to play.

after downloading and installing it, I have been prompted to add it to my library to play it.

this is where things get ****ed up.

I can only see a "play for free" button, which does absolutely nothing. there's no option to add anything to the library.

am I missing something? is there any option to bypass this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and just download the old client?
Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
Post edited by cerberusxll on

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Clicking the "Play for Free" button should add it to the game library - and download it. Once the PLAY button appears - you can begin playing (it should still present the old launcher, so you can still change options like turning off the on-demand patching, etc.)

Once you click the "Play for Free" button, go to the library (Library tab at the top of the screen) to see if it's there. You can also add non-Cryptic/PWE applications there if you choose to use it as a launcher (I do for such things as MS Flight Sim and such, but I'm sure many don't).

Oh, and because the question may come up for you - if you ever receive (or find) promo closes - click the ARC logo in the top left to redeem the code. You'll see the spot.
  • cjh1983cjh1983 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Arc doesn't work on my Windows XP machine, not sure if that helps.
  • echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Do you have Steam? You can also play through Steam, if that helps.
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I play NWO through steam myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My son and I both started playing during beta stages, so we were always able to play the "easy" way, without having to go through ARC.

Several months ago, my son had to reload his OS, so he had no choice but to go through ARC after downloading NW again.

I much prefer the direct method. I know that one day I will probably get a new PC and will have to deal with the pain called ARC. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    echokazul wrote: »
    Do you have Steam? You can also play through Steam, if that helps.

One caveat about Steam - never buy Zen Points through steam - you won't get any bonuses or special offer prizes if you buy Zen through Steam. Otherwise it may be a better option for you.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    No you don't. not until they make arc mandatory.
    Here's what you can do:
    1. copy the neverwinter game folder to an external drive. Don't bother with keeping it updated as it will do so anyway when you first use it.
    2. Whenever NW gets corrupted or you need to roll back/re-install an OS, copy the backup you made to whatever location suits you.
    3. Create a shortcut to neverwinter.exe, and put it wherever you want.
    4. get a new computer authentication code
    5. Update and play the game as you're used to.

When it's too late to make such backup, a corrupt OS doesn't block access to your hard drive. You can boot your computer using various free boot cd's available online and copy the NW folder to a safe location from there before re-installing the OS.

Wow! You are a PC genius! Thanks for the info - I'll have to save this! :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    managed to get it sorted, thanks for the help
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ARC is needed only to install game and redeem codes.
    After installation, you can find launcher on disk, and make link to your desktop/tray and launch game without arc. I strongly recommend you doing it that way, because arc only eats additional resources from your PC.
  • nwaurionnwaurion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited August 2014
    You can also start it directly when you have it on Steam, just navigate to the install directory (Steam/SteamApps/common/Cryptic Studios) and launch it there or again make a link to the executable there anywhere.