test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CWs are being royally sharded

bolt#9204 bolt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
I have a whinge about Shard of the Endless Avalanche basically it is buggy as hell and not reliable. For me the shard is an essential part of my offensive and defensive play but I just cant rely on it. Whilst some of the issues may be laid at the door of server lag I am pretty sure not all of them can be. Here's some of my experiences:

1. Three bad guys coming at me as a group in pvp within 15 feet of me I spawn the shard push it. It goes straight through them it doesn't explode, they don't get proned, I don't see any damage figures it just doesn't work. I get pwnd. I know some characters have blocks and damage mitigation but trust me this problem is not entirely down to that.

2. Flat ground, pve, facing grouped mobs, I spawn shard push it goes off at 60 degrees to my facing direction. Completely wasted effort and cryptic made it so you cannot run after it to push it into mobs again once spawned. I know you can put it on tab for more control but that's not the point the point is you shouldn't have to do this in order to have reliable control over the shard push.

3. I think this next one may be server lag related. Three tries to spawn shard character goes through casting movement but no shard appears by which time if I am in pvp I have been ganked. I have a pretty high spec gaming pc and a 40 MB/s fibre internet connection so I am pretty sure the problem is not at my end

I am not saying I use shard as my only weapon but it is an important one and I would like to see it behaving reliably and currently I don't think it is.

Personally I would like to see the shard explode any time it touches an enemy player, the player could be in a group or on there own but most of all I just want it to work reliably

Bolt CW
Post edited by bolt#9204 on

Comments

• korpakukac1korpakukac1 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I do not use SHard at all, it seems just too unreliable. I am PVE focused, hit lvl60 yesterday, making a MoF CW.
    I have the best results now with FtF on tab, then ST, CoI, IS, and AM+FC on at wills.

Shard just does too little dmg, does not explode when it is supposed to. By the time it explodes enemies are already away...
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You should see how bugged out shard is on preview server. If you thought that was bad, it's 100% worse now. I really hope they fix shard (and add back some nerf damage) before mod 4 officially drops.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I do not use SHard at all, it seems just too unreliable. I am PVE focused, hit lvl60 yesterday, making a MoF CW.
    I have the best results now with FtF on tab, then ST, CoI, IS, and AM+FC on at wills.

Shard just does too little dmg, does not explode when it is supposed to. By the time it explodes enemies are already away...

Just how much "little" damage are you talking about? I have a spellstorm cw and a mof cw. Theres a reason shard's getting nerfed in mod4... It hits harder than ice knife, ESPECIALLY if youre playing with multiple cws in the party...
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • dustintheclouddustinthecloud Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited July 2014

used to hit 70k/per mob on aoe with shard, i don't know if thats little damage for you....
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Don't forget that it goes away when you're controlled making it unusable when you're fighting against a HR, and very dificult to use against a GF/GWF when on the same level of ground as them. If they're going to nerf that damage that badly, I should hope they first fix all the bugs associated with it. That high damage, when thrown into a large group, is the only reason anyone puts up with using it.

My Ice Knife hits much harder than shard though. However, an encounter hitting harder than a daily is common in this game. For instance, I get bigger hits out of Lashing Blade than I do Shox. The same goes for IBS vs Crescendo or IS.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    howardb55 wrote: »
    3. I think this next one may be server lag related. Three tries to spawn shard character goes through casting movement but no shard appears by which time if I am in pvp I have been ganked. I have a pretty high spec gaming pc and a 40 MB/s fibre internet connection so I am pretty sure the problem is not at my end

I get this a lot too so it must be their end , Shard has been reduced to pointlessness on preview for module 4 in any case so we need to start using an alternative.

Shard is pretty much one of the best aoes CW have (until module 4) ,if used correctly it does massive huge gigantic amounts of damage , dunno what you are doing wrong not to lol
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You left out that it requires two long, separate animations in order to cast it. And that the cooldown timer does not reset until it explodes, so if it fails to explode when it should you'll have an extra 4-5 seconds tacked on to when its normal cooldown (which is long to begin with).

Stack that stuff on top of its damage being massively reduced in Module 4 and there's basically no reason at all to use it. It will be doing less damage than Storm Pillar (yes, at-wills do more damage).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kalintharkalinthar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Dons sarcasm laden rant hat.

From the bottom of my heart, I weep for you. Life is just so difficult and unfair when your uber powerful encounter power does not utterly destroy its target on the first hit. The sheer misfortune that has befallen you is a terrible tragedy to the world wide gaming community.

That is, find a bucket of cement and harden up princess.

CW's have since the very beginning of Neverwinter have had EVERY advantage...they out damage every other class by an order of magnitude. Take 5 CW's and run Epic Pirate King in 15 minutes. Take 5 TR's and you probably wont finish.

Its well known that Ice knife for a CW OUTDAMAGES Shocking Execution for a TR. That is, a controller out damages a striker in alpha....EASILY.

Welcome to the new meta CW's....you might actually miss your target, you might have to work that little bit harder and not do much damage ....isn't that unfair.

Your tears are delicious.

Removes hat and rant is complete.
  • bolt#9204 bolt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kalinthar wrote: »
    Dons sarcasm laden rant hat.
    CW's have since the very beginning of Neverwinter have had EVERY advantage...they out damage every other class by an order of magnitude. Take 5 CW's and run Epic Pirate King in 15 minutes. Take 5 TR's and you probably wont finish.

Hi All,

As the author of this thread can I say this is not about whatever vendetta or petty injustices you may have about CWs as a class this thread is about establishing whether a key ability for cws is working as intended so please stow the attitude I just want to know whether there is a case, based on opinions of people that actually play a cw, for cryptic to take a long hard look at the shard and if need be fix it if not explain exactly how the shard mechanic is supposed to work with any constraints so people can use it more reliably because at the moment my experience leads me to believe it is not much more use than a chocolate teapot.

Incidentally people that say the shard does not do much damage do not have my build. When it works it is very effective problem is its reliability imho

Bolt
  • brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just love how whiny CW players are... Those are little bugs compared to some in this game... You know what you don't talk about this power? It counts as an invincible player! That's right! If I try to hit it with at-wills or other powers, it works as if it was a plyers and says "Dodged". Now, a common problem with this is Bloothbath from TR's (Daily) that hits random "enemies" and Fox Shift from HR's and there is a really high chance of these powers hitting the shard and saying "dodge".

How about you go buy a candy because every player experiences the repeated failed power usage thing caused by lag!
    I don't give a cent about your problems because of your class (yes, your whiny class) my class is reduced to useless and now I need to create another one until anything is done about it.

Have a nice day...
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You just dont know what you are talking about. The classic way pf doing damages while controlling is **** up deal with it.
    Damage with different abilities are still very high.
    Control is still very high with other abilities.
    You will not be able to do the same of before but still...
    edited July 2014
    Delete this post pls
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Wow. The CW hate is strong in this thread.

I don't think it's too much to ask for any player's encounters to work correctly, CWs included. I can also verify that Shard seems to bug out for inexplicable reasons, especially in Icewind Dale. Even when I'm not being proned or controlled in any way, occasionally, I can cast Shard but I can't push it. It's not a whine, it's an observation.
  • korpakukac1korpakukac1 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    used to hit 70k/per mob on aoe with shard, i don't know if thats little damage for you....

No idea how you do that, it just does not seem to work like that for me...
    edited July 2014
    . Those are little bugs compared to some in this game... You know what you don't talk about this power? It counts as an invincible player! That's right! If I try to hit it with at-wills or other powers, it works as if it was a plyers and says "Dodged". Now, a common problem with this is Bloothbath from TR's (Daily) that hits random "enemies" and Fox Shift from HR's and there is a really high chance of these powers hitting the shard and saying "dodge".

Then that's yet another bug that needs to be fixed.
    Its well known that Ice knife for a CW OUTDAMAGES Shocking Execution for a TR. That is, a controller out damages a striker in alpha....EASILY.

I've been one shotted by Ice Knife maybe twice. I can't even count the number of times I've been one shotted by Shox or LB.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    aulduron wrote: »

I've been one shotted by Ice Knife maybe twice. I can't even count the number of times I've been one shotted by Shox or LB.

Pls........
    edited July 2014

There is a difference betwin Ice Knife and "Shox", you can be 1 shotted with 25k to your face like it has happened to me with Ice knife, but you cant be 1shotted with Shox because with full hp a crit will deal about 6k max while on low HP it can deal up to 23k but what's 23k when you only have 8k left? Its the same as 8k... You cannot be 1shot with Shox, I've tried it on a real big pug and didn't work. What i'd say compensates that alot is that it works really well against op defensive classes (GWF before Mod4) and it can't be dodged. Also, keep in mind that the TR needs to be close to your to cast it and if you run away it should cancel itself unlike the Knife.
    Now on LB: 20sec CD, really easy to dodge, really easy to miss! You also can't be 1 shot by this power UNLESS you are a real big pug... I did deal 17k to a pug today, it was not 1 shot but it sure hurt him... I can't deal more than 25k with it on a MOB (remember, mobs have very low defences) with Vorpal (Tier2/Normal Vorpal)

EDIT: You could be 1shot with LB before tenacity but now I believe you can't.
    edited July 2014
    I was full health, a giant dagger came down, and I was dead. you tell me what happened. Sure, it's possible that I was hit by other things simultaneously.

23K is enough to 1 shot me.
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I was full health, a giant dagger came down, and I was dead. you tell me what happened. Sure, it's possible that I was hit by other things simultaneously.

People are sporting 35-55k Hp in PvP these days, and they do it for the reasons you mentioned above. In the next module, we will be able to get about 70K HP.

It is basically your own fault for coming in unprepared.
    edited July 2014
    Okay, a couple of things.

1)Not being sarcastic in this thread, just know that shard can and does hit hard. Often times hits harder than ice knife. That being said, it glitching and disappearing is a pain. Trust me, EVERY cw knows that bites.

2)People saying shocking doesn't hit hard: You obviously don't know that it used to be glitched. It was bugged to ignore defense, ignore opponent's state of health(how much hp left), and many times basically auto killed players with low hp. It's fixed now. The ONLY reason it's weak as heck now is because it was nerfed into oblivion because it was OP.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • adamy2004adamy2004 Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    williep30 wrote: »
    Just how much "little" damage are you talking about? I have a spellstorm cw and a mof cw. Theres a reason shard's getting nerfed in mod4... It hits harder than ice knife, ESPECIALLY if youre playing with multiple cws in the party...

it hits harder then ice knife because shard of endless avalanche is one of the very few CW encounters that currently work with armor pen. and the encounter didnt need a 75% total damage nerf. (it now only crits for 1-2k on players) 500-1k dmg on a non crit. and 200-500 dmg on a deflect. and in PVE you would do better off using icy terrain. they are making cw a unskillful class because instead of having to land a boulder using tab in pvp you are now using shield which allows you to facetank every single hit and come out nearly unscathed
    Don't waste my time.
    edited July 2014

first off, any decent pvp player would have nearly 40k hp 20% tenacity and 30-50% DR. on a good player. ice knife does at most 5-12k which is less than an indomitable battle strike from a gwf.
    Don't waste my time.
    edited July 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    You left out that it requires two long, separate animations in order to cast it. And that the cooldown timer does not reset until it explodes, so if it fails to explode when it should you'll have an extra 4-5 seconds tacked on to when its normal cooldown (which is long to begin with).

Stack that stuff on top of its damage being massively reduced in Module 4 and there's basically no reason at all to use it. It will be doing less damage than Storm Pillar (yes, at-wills do more damage).

and on top of those drawbacks to shard, any stun will make it disappear. constricting, entangle, chillstrike, flourish, all make this encounter disappear and completely useless
    Don't waste my time.
    edited July 2014
    adamy2004 wrote: »
    it hits harder then ice knife because shard of endless avalanche is one of the very few CW encounters that currently work with armor pen. and the encounter didnt need a 75% total damage nerf. (it now only crits for 1-2k on players) 500-1k dmg on a non crit. and 200-500 dmg on a deflect. and in PVE you would do better off using icy terrain. they are making cw a unskillful class because instead of having to land a boulder using tab in pvp you are now using shield which allows you to facetank every single hit and come out nearly unscathed

Can you post a screenshot of low hits on the preview shard? The devs didn't nerf it by 75%, and haven't seen them state that.

By the way, wizards using shield in tab gives them defensive options, while limiting offensive options. Now that CWs have some tankiness(at some cost of damage), you're complaining about that?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/devtracker.php?page=8

Isn't this what some wizards agreed upon? Tankiness at the cost of damage?

Some people will complain about everything...
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    OP
    Good for you, I never seen it bug on me and always get proned by avalache casted by WIZARDS of the sword coast.
    Nevermind it's the most hard hitting encounter CWs have that can destroy the whole encounter of mobs, ffs. I never felt so overpowered after I lvl'd my CW to 60 lvl yesterday and gave her vorpal and rank 7s.
  • dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    Good for you, I never seen it bug on me and always get proned by avalache casted by WIZARDS of the sword coast.
    Nevermind it's the most hard hitting encounter CWs have that can destroy the whole encounter of mobs, ffs. I never felt so overpowered after I lvl'd my CW to 60 lvl yesterday and gave her vorpal and rank 7s.

all im sayin is i can handle the 760 or so i get from profound pvp but the 480 or so from BI is sub par...
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dodgo wrote: »
    all im sayin is i can handle the 760 or so i get from profound pvp but the 480 or so from BI is sub par...
    Wrong thread - _ -
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?717581-black-ice-tenacity-joke

Turn that thing off and go to sleep.
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    brun2000 wrote: »
    I just love how whiny CW players are...
    Noone can beat Gwf players..
    edited July 2014
    kalinthar wrote: »

GWFs IBS outdamage both of it!
    Btw Ice Knife is easily dodgeable! Everyone is jumping away if he hears its sound...
    CW secondary role: striker!
    edited July 2014
    CW shards will be massively nerfed in 3 weeks from now!
    Add this to the lagg sensitive nature and we will rarely see it in anyone's rotation...
This discussion has been closed.