test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ah should have a max price limit!

lemonchilllemonchill Member Posts: 523 Arc User
edited July 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
seriously its it absolutely insanity whats going on with ah prices in the last two weeks!

p weapon and p armor enchantments are been sold 4-5 million more then they were worth 2-3 weeks ago!

cryptic should start max pricing on each and every item on ah!

thats the only way to start balancing the ad prices and keep ppl from feeling frustrated and angry about this whole situation
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Absolutely not. They shouldn't even be max price capping Zen/AD exchange.

Let the consumers decide what they are willing to pay for items.
    Supply and Demand.
    Simple concepts that work when not fiddled with.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The AH does have a price limit. It's 100mill.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you think something is overpriced...don't buy it. If enough people think like the same the price will drop. If people are impatient and desperate then prices will continue to rise. That's how free markets work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    The AH does have a price limit. It's 100mill.

Even if this is wrong, I'm sure that there is a price limit somewhere, after all variable types have limits to them.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Here's what happens: Generally, before the release of a new module, players want to beef up their characters with the "best gear." This has happened before "Launch", before module 2, 3, and now 4. There is a rush for more of the tier 2 gear and higher enchants, then the module comes out, new better gear is available, and the previous gear drops in price. Also, note how many multiple items are listed by the same users. I saw enchants/gear on the AH today, that had 3 pages worth of the same 4 users charging easily 3 times the listed prices for the same items in June. The stock market has the same thing, big dollar players buying up the low stocks and selling it for inflated prices. The trick is to be patient and not pay the inflated prices, force the product back into the lap of the seller, and force the seller to lower the price. My advice is if you are too frustrated, avoid the AH all together, or just walk away from the game for a while. The game economy was wrecked before launch, and it still hasn't recovered for players who don't spend hours upon hours grinding AD. Without intervention, a select few will control the AH economy into becoming far too expensive for f2p/casual players, which sadly, is the direction things are already going...
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've seen a 2-300% increase in Epic Dark, Radiant, and Azure enchantments since June when they were anywhere from 34-40k for a Dark or Azure, and 68-71k for a Radiant. Greater Bags of Holding and Coalescent Wards were as low as 350k AD in early June, now they're over 550k. Lesser Weapon and Armor Enchants are double their previous values. Expect ridiculous prices for Scourge Warlock gear, as it will be the new "hot class." Ranger gear is easily 20-30% more expensive per tier 2 gear than the other classes because they are the most numerous class in the game, and hence provide a larger market. As long as players are willing to pay, the prices will not go down.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is a tough one; I'm all for a free market, but if the devs didn't intend for the AH to be a work-around for the ZAX cap, then they would kinda need to impose a limit on what prices can be set there, too...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Even if this is wrong, I'm sure that there is a price limit somewhere, after all variable types have limits to them.

The maximum signed long int value in C++ is 2,147,483,647. If you hover over the gold currency in your currency tab you can note that the maximum gold value in Neverwinter is 214,748 Gold 36 Silver 47 Copper which would make gold a signed long int variable. This is a limitation imposed based on C++.

(This limit has two ways around it with current technology but requires a fair bit more programming and overall it is not going to impede more than a fraction of a fraction of any players so it is considered a non-issue by developers of basically any game)

Alternatively if you hover over your Astral Diamond currency it notes the Max Stack is 100M. This is a limit imposed by the developers for whatever reason.

As such, though, it would be absolutely impossible to have somebody pay more than 100M AD for an item. If the developers didn't hard code that limit in they most certainly would if any items approached that value.
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    This is a tough one; I'm all for a free market, but if the devs didn't intend for the AH to be a work-around for the ZAX cap, then they would kinda need to impose a limit on what prices can be set there, too...

I tend to agree. In an ideal situation you wouldn't need any artifical means of controlling pricing but this is gaming and it's already been seen that there's a lot of unscrupulous people willing to exploit anything for their own personal gain.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    eldarth wrote: »

Supply and Demand.

That's such a horrible idea. You would push the zax exchange to the point where non-paying players could no longer afford zen within any reasonable time table. People selling zen would just let their insanely priced zen sit on the market until it sold.

What they need to do, is cap zen items at the current exchange rate. Make is so if you try and sell an item off the zen store, into the AH, it caps the item at the 500AD/Zen. As for the rest of the items, let supply and demand settle those.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Or they could fix the problem of c wards being expensive and hard to get from the zen store and rp being very hard to come by since there's less bots to give us the supply that is actually needed. If you cap the prices then you're just not gonna get people to sell them at all if they feel like it's not worth their time.
  • yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Here's what happens: Generally, before the release of a new module, players want to beef up their characters with the "best gear." This has happened before "Launch", before module 2, 3, and now 4. There is a rush for more of the tier 2 gear and higher enchants, then the module comes out, new better gear is available, and the previous gear drops in price. Also, note how many multiple items are listed by the same users. I saw enchants/gear on the AH today, that had 3 pages worth of the same 4 users charging easily 3 times the listed prices for the same items in June. The stock market has the same thing, big dollar players buying up the low stocks and selling it for inflated prices. The trick is to be patient and not pay the inflated prices, force the product back into the lap of the seller, and force the seller to lower the price. My advice is if you are too frustrated, avoid the AH all together, or just walk away from the game for a while. The game economy was wrecked before launch, and it still hasn't recovered for players who don't spend hours upon hours grinding AD. Without intervention, a select few will control the AH economy into becoming far too expensive for f2p/casual players, which sadly, is the direction things are already going...

Which is the outcome of any unregulated market. You see everything when taken to extreme destroys the Economy. Too much Regulation and you stifle it ,too much Freedom and Chaos rules. It takes delicate handling to balance the economy and i would suggest that the Company hires an economist or two(If they haven't already),to make them an Ingame Financial Model for Neverwinter and any other games they own.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • compenscompens Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Supply and Demand.

That would work in an economy that is not full of bots who flood the market with AD. . .
  • daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Supply and Demand.

Religious thinking is cute and all, but it does not work practically (never did, never will). Simple concepts for simple minds ...

When you see the pricing of "Greater mark of Potency", you will understand the customer will is not something you can build anything on reliably. The customer must be protected against himself (true in NW, true anywhere else too).
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've seen a 2-300% increase in Epic Dark, Radiant, and Azure enchantments since June when they were anywhere from 34-40k for a Dark or Azure, and 68-71k for a Radiant. Greater Bags of Holding and Coalescent Wards were as low as 350k AD in early June, now they're over 550k. Lesser Weapon and Armor Enchants are double their previous values. Expect ridiculous prices for Scourge Warlock gear, as it will be the new "hot class." Ranger gear is easily 20-30% more expensive per tier 2 gear than the other classes because they are the most numerous class in the game, and hence provide a larger market. As long as players are willing to pay, the prices will not go down.

This is because they fixed an exploit where people were able to use the old refining system which allowed for the creation of significantly cheaper rank 4-7 enchantments.

This had a cascading effect on all the enchantment prices as refining costs have essentially doubled.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    compens wrote: »
    That would work in an economy that is not full of bots who flood the market with AD. . .

Yeah, as soon as they cracked down on bots last month, the Enchantment prices shot up, now pretty much tripling in price. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Things cost more on the AH, but they also sell for more...while anything whose price was kept down artificially because of the bots has risen, stuff that wasn't bot fodder has been consistent, meaning (in some ways) you've seen an increase in your purchasing power.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • mikezorrmikezorr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    with the removal of Keys which was one of the best things them sites were selling which is removed for them they now buy out rank 10s\greaters\perfects weekly to restock from the AH that is why the prices are so high because they need to restock. most of these enchantments are being bought out by them leaving players needing to buy expensive enchantments because they've bought them out.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You don't NEED to buy enchantments. You just need patience. What cryptic needs to keep in mind though, is if things take TOO long to do, people are more likely to buy AD from a third party site. I.e:Saving up for coal wards, putting many many hours into refining enchantments/artifacts, spending hours farming AD to level up companions...
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's been mentioned earlier, but let me emphasize this point:

People mess with the auction house prices in order to try and profit.

An example: Lightning shards were holding steady at about 2,300 AD/per shard up until last week. Then one person bought the entire stock of them and tried to re-sell them in stacks of 20 for 490,000AD (24,500 AD per shard). All they need to turn a massive profit is one person who is unaware of the normal going rate of lightning shards to think that 24,500 is the normal going rate and buy them. That had a ripple effect on all of the new listing of lightning shards being around 10k. Gradually, the price is returning to normal. But it takes a while of people refusing to pay the inflated price before things return to normal.

We're seeing the same thing with Greater and Perfect enchantments. People are attempting to make a massive profit by artificially inflating the price. The only way they'll come back down is for people to refuse to buy them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Items over the cap will not be placed on the auction house. They will be traded on trade chat legally or traded amongst 3rd party websites illegally.

Also, OP you have no clue what is going on. There is some manipulation going on the with the prices at the moment so do not base that as the bible for what the economy will eventually stabilize into