test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which Ioun Stone is better

imm0rtalboyimm0rtalboy Member Posts: 76 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
Which Ioun Stone is better in your opinion i think the Radiance worth upgrading +55 Life steal +55 Deflect

stone2.png

stone3.png
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by imm0rtalboy on

Comments

• shavaruinshavaruin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I personally like the allure. In the end, it's up to flavor. If you are min/maxing, you will probably get more out of the Radiance, though, I would never give up my chance to slow :P
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Personally, if I could go with the Radiance, I would. I have an Allure on each of 12 chars. It is fine, the slow works, but if it didn't, it wouldn't matter much to me. That upgradeable LifeSteal and Deflect is nothing to shake a stick at on any character. Neither one of them makes any difference to RP..

Also, you need to consider whether you want 3 offensive slots verses 2 and one defensive. I also think having a second Ring is better than having an Icon.. and a belt over a neck.. Can't say that I've done any real gear comparisons there, though.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you are a DPS class aiming for high Power, Radiance will allow you to get more power than the Allure.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You will get more points with the first one and an elderich rank 10 in the defensive slot, but if you have got good gear, you will want to stack power and for this purpose the 2nd one os better.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have both, and I went for the Radiance stone. Having 3 offensive slots is a bit of a drawback, but the active bonus on the stone of allure wasn't doing much for me. With the stat bonuses there is a more direct benefit.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm using allure for cost effectiveness since it was the stone I got before the radiance one was available. The extra deflect and lifesteal would be nice if I were to upgrade it though.
  • sancidsancid Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Stone of might for offensive, allure for defensive
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The supreme reign of augment pets is coming to an end, but ATM I prefer stones of radiance. Those extra stats provide additional flexability when slotting enchants.
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The supreme reign of augment pets is coming to an end, but ATM I prefer stones of radiance. Those extra stats provide additional flexability when slotting enchants.

What makes you say it is coming to an end?
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2014

How is it coming to an end? If they ever fix the active bonus on the Allure stone, it will only become stronger.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The augment pets I have seen don't seem to really make that great of an impact on the typical level 60 character. Wouldn't these augments only yield another fractional percentage, like 0.6%, to a trait in the long run?
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    each augment can hold 3 enchantments and upto 3 items. so even base rank 5's you are looking at:

+120 stat * 3
    ~ 300 per item * 3

thats an extra 1260 points into your power, crit, arp, defense etc.

Compare this to a normal companion who will normally die really quick and possibly aggro more mobs.

I for one will choose my Augment stone everytime.
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'll chime in to say this: I have a stable of companions and there are some that will never see the light of day. They are buried in the Companion inventory bag in favor of the stones.

Allure V. Radiance all depends on the class you want the stone for and what stats you feel need some help.
    I use both, depending situation. My Allures are geared more towards defensive stats while the Radiance's are straight offense.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Unless they improve the ai a whole lot which would make low end computers not able to play the game, include a ui for controlling the pet, and work out a few bugs where they go brain dead sometimes, there is no way that an active pet will ever be better than an augment pet.
  • kenurdkenurd Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Improving normal companions isnt the only thing they could do. There is also the option to weaken the augments, making it so they can die could go a long way to leveling the companion playing field.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Black Ice Ioun Stone isn't too bad either.

However, Ioun Stone of Radiance gives the most overall stats because of its Active bonus.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kenurd wrote: »
    Improving normal companions isnt the only thing they could do. There is also the option to weaken the augments, making it so they can die could go a long way to leveling the companion playing field.
    Considering the ioun stone of allure sure seems to be a top seller, making it worthless so that people play with no pets, rather than spend the money to buy a stone, seems sort of like shooting themselves in the foot.

Having no pet summoned is better than an active pet. And if augments could die you'd likely be better off min/maxing your actives and boosting them to epic than buying an augment.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Having no pet summoned is better than an active pet. And if augments could die you'd likely be better off min/maxing your actives and boosting them to epic than buying an augment.

Cantankerous mage is probably the worst one. Worst troll companion ever :c. Was a pain levelling him to 25.
  • smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Allure is better for offense.

Not having regeneration means that the stone gives significantly more power/crit/recovery than the radiant at max level. Deflect is useless for a lot of classes and lifesteal isn't very hard to get in decent amounts without the bonus. The radiant does have a better bonus than the allure for pve though, it's just that it gives 0 dps.

Now, you compare defense vs offense rune slot. The offense slot is considerably better but it's countered by the radiant having a belt slot, which is a huge loss compared to the icon slot. If you go with an epic belt, then you lose an offense slot, if you go with a blue belt, you lose a lot of stats that an icon would give.

All in all, the difference isn't huge but I'd give the edge to the allure.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm loving my Black Ice Stone.
    Got it on the second Lockbox of the ten or so that I open of every type (I reinvest my winnings into more keys until my original stake is gone). The only Lockbox type that has ever proven lucky to me. I actually turned a small profit on those and got what I wanted after a reasonable amount of time.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Cantankerous mage is probably the worst one. Worst troll companion ever :c. Was a pain levelling him to 25.

Really? I found him to be an exceptionally easy companion to level. What class were you playing?
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Personally, I like the Allure over Radiance by far as it has an Active Bonus instead of a small stat bonus and it has a defensive slot for a nice Eldritch stone to give you even more of the stone's stats. At rank 30, the allure's slow bonus is 10%. It's actually the only companion I deemed worth upgrading. I upgraded the one on my main 'Old Zeb' and am currently saving back up to upgrade 3 more on other characters.

I'll also be getting me a Cat and a stone of Might in the future and already know that I will prefer them over the Radiance also. The cat because it also has a defensive slot and the Might stone because it has an active bonus instead of a stat bonus. I'll still prefer the Allure on my characters that already have them, which is 4 characters. Also, when I get the Icosahedron Ioun Stone, I'll prefer that over the Radiance also, for the same reason as the Cat.

So, here's my preference in order:
    1. [Ioun Stone of Allure]
    2. [Cat]
    3. [Icosahedron Ioun Stone]
    4. [Ioun Stone of Might]
    5. [Ioun Stone of Radiance]
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Personally, I like the Allure over Radiance by far as it has an Active Bonus instead of a small stat bonus and it has a defensive slot for a nice Eldritch stone to give you even more of the stone's stats. At rank 30, the allure's slow bonus is 10%. It's actually the only companion I deemed worth upgrading. I upgraded the one on my main 'Old Zeb' and am currently saving back up to upgrade 3 more on other characters.

Aren't the "stats" of all of the Ioun stones pretty low, yielding a pretty low sharing of stats using the Eldritch enchant?
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • veshorokveshorok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Personally, I like the Allure over Radiance by far as it has an Active Bonus instead of a small stat bonus and it has a defensive slot for a nice Eldritch stone to give you even more of the stone's stats.

I saw one thread where all the math was done and it resulted in pretty close final numbers for all stones except that ioun has to have at least epic eldritch in its def slot to make it even with radiance/might.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have a stone of allure, which is usually always active unless I'm levelling another companion, but I can also see the merits of really well equipping another fighter companion for open world pvp. At the moment most owpvp encounters are a) a bit of a surprise, while you're doing your dailies, and b) one on one in an otherwise empty area. I fought a CW a couple of days back and he had a phoera active. It was a nusiance because it got in my face and obscured my lines of sight, and also I'd sometimes inadvertanly target it instead of the player. I got him in the end, but only after I'd killed the bird, which was a pain because even unequipped, a lvl 30 phoera has about 17k HP. If the CW'd been pvp statted, he'd probably have killed me.

I dunno, I can see the value in having a decoy hovering about you in owpvp, whether it makes up for a loss of about 2500+ in gs, dabatable.
    No idea what my toon is now.
    edited July 2014
    Assuming all rank 7's and ancient purple gear on pet.. it's pretty much a wash as to whether or not to use Eldritch. Using a rank 7 Eld, you basically get the value of a rank 7 enchant, divided amongst all the stats.. So it comes down to 185 of one stat versus an equal but mixed number of points across all of them.

At least that's what my calculator said.

I don't like math, and I can't afford perfects, so I don't mess with Edritch stones.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Aye but that's 185 or so of stats you want, rather than a little extra defensive stat that, if you're a pvp toon, you've probably got plenty of anyway.

Also, with an eldritch on a non stone, plus a bonding rune, it might just work out. You'd get one permanent augument, and a sometimes auguement on top, plus the damage the pet does to your target. Think I'm gonna try it out for a week.
    No idea what my toon is now.
    edited July 2014
    jonkoca wrote: »
    Aye but that's 185 or so of stats you want, rather than a little extra defensive stat that, if you're a pvp toon, you've probably got plenty of anyway.

That's a pretty good point which hadn't even occurred to me. Thanks.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Then again Allure's Active Bonus doesn't actually work
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The Might, Radiant and Cat got a waist slot.

This is a "no" for me.
    (´・ ω ・`)