test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

VT clock positions.

charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
edited July 2014 in PvE Discussion
OK, gotten myself confused coming back to the game. I've now run into people treating the clock face as a clock face where north is 12, and people treating the steps or whatever they are as you look into the room before the fight starts as 12 which is actually east. Which is the more common designation?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've done some runs where they say the campfire (before the fight) is the 6, I don't know why the hell they do that xD, it could be much easir like this:

f2Dx1Kd.png

Just like a normal Clock

1GhGsa2.jpg
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    oicidraz wrote: »
    I've done some runs where they say the campfire (before the fight) is the 6, I don't know why the hell they do that xD, it could be much easir like this:

f2Dx1Kd.png

Just like a normal Clock

1GhGsa2.jpg

I agree, had a run where half were doing the run where the campfire was six and half were doing it like a normal clock and it was a freaking mess.
  • deathxlongshot9deathxlongshot9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My guild always uses 6 as the campfire and behind valindra is 12. We have always done it that way and will continue to do it that way. when we do pug runs they also already know to do it that way. this is really a discussion for your guild and not the forums. its really personal preference
    edited July 2014
    Yeah this was a true pug that had the mess. That's why I'm trying to get a feeling for what the normal is.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The standard afaik is north/12 being the stairs, south/6 being the entrance. If you're ever confused it's easiest to just ask people to line up around the campfire in their relative positions.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have long advocated for just ditching the stupid confusing as hell clock thing, and going by landmarks.

Door to banner. Banner to stairs. Stairs to snake. Snake to door. There are four easily recognizable points around the arena, at the cardinal directions, and they serve as an absolute reference that is not open to interpretation, as those four markers are in the same place every single time and there's no confusion between which clock system is being used.

'But new people don't know the landmarks!' They don't know the clock system either and the clock thing is confusing and there's two different methods of it. Take them to the door. Point out the stairs across the way. The banner is to the left, the snake is to the right, and it takes half a second during the start of the first phase to run to a new player's section and tell them 'here' to show it in practice.

This is the best way, seriously. Zero confusion. Your quadrant is snake to door? Oh look, there's a giant snake on the wall, and there's the door. Guess where your quadrant is! That's right, between the snake sculpture on the wall and the boss area door.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I've done more than 50 succesful run and they were always with 6 is the entrance so i guess you can pretty take it for the standard
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've always used the campfire as 6, although there is usually some discussion about it.
  • justsyndrajustsyndra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would send this to my pugs when running VT:

http://imgur.com/a/saQQZ
    No longer playing Neverwinter.
  • valencayvalencay Member Posts: 431 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    justsyndra wrote: »
    I would send this to my pugs when running VT:

http://imgur.com/a/saQQZ

the clockwise thing is really something none understands so there's always someone who get caught in ghosts for an idiot that runs the other way
    Aset Xharran, Oppressor CW
    edited July 2014
    valencay wrote: »
    the clockwise thing is really something none understands so there's always someone who get caught in ghosts for an idiot that runs the other way
    Yup that happened too.

Anyways thanks to everyone that responded. Looks like the norm is campfire is 6.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Yup that happened too.

Anyways thanks to everyone that responded. Looks like the norm is campfire is 6.

It is, but there's an even easier way to cope.

IGNORE THE MINIMAP. It's quite.. mini. The world, on the other hand, is much easier to see under pressure. The big round green door opposite the entrance is the easiest thing to see, and that's always 12. When you're playing and need to get your bearings (after all, you get quite turned around, chasing Val), just spin the camera and look for the green door. Bam, there's your bearing, from which everything else may be found.

I tend to look up periodically, rather than waiting until the coffers actually pop. I found that with a little practise, it's quite easy to find your way to your area without conscious thought.

(It also might have something to do with the hundreds of VTs, without any offhard, GRRRR :D)
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've seen this getted mucked up countless times. Really I avoid the clock where possible as each of the cardinal points has a different, recognizable image. You start at the door to the left is a banner to the right is a snake and ahead is the altar. Keep everything clockwise and it works out. Furthermore people don't find themselves recovering from chasing Val around stopping to think, "What's North?" You find your icon, B-Line it, and turn right. When I designate 9-12 I immediately just replace it with banner-altar.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The best is when you spend 10-minutes running around the campfire showing the newbies what to do and then when the first caskets spawn you have two other people in your zone. . . Even better when the CW tells you after the wipe ''You are slow GF, so I do your casket''. Bud, my slow GF can clear 3-4 caskets in two zones, I don't need to be baby sat.

Maybe it is because a lot of the players don't speak English so there is a communication issue, but it took me about 10-seconds to figure out what was going on in my first run when the first person said ''Door is 6 oclock, I am 6-9'' and the next person said ''9-12''. I knew exactly what was happening and just picked ''12-3''. Wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to be doing in ''12-3'', but I figured that out quickly as well. I did run counter clockwise though, and got lit up.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • sancidsancid Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Have ran over 150 vt, 6 is door for 95% of pugs I run with