test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Making Neverwinter a Better Place

Comments

• chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I will always be happy to see dirt-baggery handled. Whether or not removal of the dirt makes my life harder or easier is irrelevant.

Apart from that.. Cryptic can't really find the weak points in the game and fix them if there are people exploiting this or that and making them unapparent. If players are unable to progress because of this, it will no doubt be noticed and fixed. I don't approve of every decision that has been made and I'm sure I will be disappointed many more times.. but ultimately, they want people to play their game. They will sort it out.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Of course you can.

Let me provide an example. ANy first year physics student can tell if a simple platform bridge will collapse under a given weight without actually going out and building it.
    That is an extremely simple example. That just involves tensile strength etc. This is a system involving organic beings that are inherently unpredictable as they don't behave in logical ways. It's a dynamic sociology system that is very sensitive to initial conditions.
  • letojarred1letojarred1 Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hmmmmm, this means the r5 ranks will skyrocket again?
    manually buying 1pc at a time is a pain *_*
    ty cryptic! for a new chance to bloat my diamonds ;)
    StrawberryCheesecake TR
    BlackberryCheesecake CW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CheeseCake House :o
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    That is an extremely simple example. That just involves tensile strength etc. This is a system involving organic beings that are inherently unpredictable as they don't behave in logical ways. It's a dynamic sociology system that is very sensitive to initial conditions.

Of course it's a simple example. I could easily scale complexity, but simplicity makes the point accessible to a larger crowd. This is an online forum, not a professional review. Know your audience.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is an underlying issue here that needs to be addressed - namely, how much work *should* it require in order for someone to get r10 or perfect enchantments? If the intent is that they be extremely rare and only a few people should be able to attain them, then perhaps the ready supply of items to refine them with was never intended. If, however, the intent is that these be relatively easy to get, then the process of refining them should be reexamined.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bots are still there.../who old sharandar ruins and get a look at the name of nearly 100 of them (would be more but it limits the who list to 100. And these are level 60 TR bots...the ones grinding out those refining mats.

So no, there will be no shortage of rank 3-5s or marks. But that doesn't mean they aren't going to jack up the prices as the demand continues to go up (upcoming event will use refining mats and tons will be used in the first few days of mod 4).

And yeah, that's great that you cleared out some of the level 4 bots spamming up PE, but why don't you guys clear out the other obvious ones? Or how about redesigning the map for old sharandar ruins so it's not so easy for them to farm it with TR bots like you did with a lot of the other sharandar/dread ring maps?
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Keep in mind folks, this is an ongoing battle. This announcement doesn't mean they've stopped looking for and punishing offenders. On the contrary, this is just the beginning (in the grand scheme of things).
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i apreciate that you guys are doing something about it to me it sounds like you are going about it the hard way.

I would put a block in the client so that people cannot run 3rd party memory debuggers, it is possible to do that, it would take a huge weight off the task force for getting rid of bots.

If they cant run their botting software they cant bot so you dont have to spend time chasing down the offenders.

Same goes for the exploiters take away certain commands from players that can be exploited its all about permissions players shouldnt have access to all the commands just access to things that relate to their character.
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I haven't seen anything in the patch notes to say that profession node drop rate of enchants has been altered - BI enchants don't even drop in those and that's what the patch notes address. Since the patch yesterday, I've run DR lairs 5 times and made two Fey Blessings (so Arcane Reservoir as well) and looted a number of nodes in Sharnadar. Still getting apparently the same number of enchants from nodes. (the nodes are bugged and some items aren't showing up under the loot window but they do show in the scrolling sidebar and in your inventory)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    edited July 2014
    I seem to be getting the same number of enchants.

BUT- I have opened a couple of nodes which showed no enchants, but gave them to me anyway, and it happened with a white pearl in the Arcane Coffer in Dread Spire. It was totally empty, and I clicked 'take all' on a lark, and got a white pearl. With the nodes, there were random crafting things, and no enchants shown. But when I 'took all' it showed enchants on the right above my bag.

So I think there is a bug that was introduced that might make people THINK they aren't getting them.. I reported what I found, in game.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. The thievery node in PF seems to only show profession mats but the one nearby in the Underwing only seems to show enchants. The arcane coffer in PF wasn't showing ANYTHING yesterday but hitting 'Take All' would still give you a peridot or aquamarine or whatever.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    akromatik wrote: »

Greetings, adventurers!

I recently received some interesting news that I thought I'd share with you all

We know that dealing with cheaters and exploiters is frustrating to everyone out there who plays by the rules. As fellow gamers we experience that frustration too, and as a company, we strive to make sure that the integrity of our games is preserved as much as possible for all to enjoy.

While we may not make an announcement every time we ban a series of accounts for violating our Terms of Service, we want to reassure everyone that we are always on the lookout for individuals or groups who may be breaking these rules. Using third-party programs to automate gameplay (i.e., “bots”) is expressly prohibited by our Terms of Service. To that end, we have recently identified and banned several thousand accounts for botting in Neverwinter.

As always we will continue to cultivate a safe, fair and enjoyable online experience for all of our valued players.

All ranting aside, thanks for keeping us posted about this. Clarity truly means a lot.
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    THanks for working on bots...annoying as hell. As I work for my refining points.

However I do have a questions and concern...I use one of my toons to "farm" enchants, and he has a specific set of gear for 4 utility slots with fey enchants. I typically run in a big loop knowing how fast I can kill and how fast everything respawns...and will do it over and over until I want to stick a rusty fork in both my eyes and gnaw off both hands so I can't do it anymore. How will I not appear to be a bot, as I use the exact same attacks over and over and run the same path...since this is the most efficient method for me?
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    no one is happy about price increases. We should all be happy people who break the rules and exploit the system are found and penalized though.

If low prices come from something that is against the rules, i generally won't purchase it, just like i wouldn't purchase a "hot" stereo from someone who broke the rules of society.

It's a morality issue, not a monetary issue.

This is just a game. This is not a true society, where when you steal from somebody, that individual suffers. It's all 0s and 1s.

Rules are set by people. For their very OWN interest. In the virtual realm, you are better suited following your OWN set of rules, as long as you do not harm anybody. I do so. I'm not gonna follow some rules set by some chump in some chair in some office I do not even know where it is. They are non-existent to me.

Overall, everywhere, even in real life, there are many dumb rules. Everybody wants to be an authority and set rules for others to follow - to suit their own interests.

Want to follow them and be their dummies?

Be my guest.

Since this is an RPG, you can take all the above as me roleplaying a Chaotic Neutral character. How about that, lol...
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Do not feed the dragons bots. It'd give me indigestion.

I do appreciate the hard work going into getting rid of the spammers and hackers. Thank you.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is just a game. This is not a true society, where when you steal from somebody, that individual suffers. It's all 0s and 1s.

Rules are set by people. For their very OWN interest. In the virtual realm, you are better suited following your OWN set of rules, as long as you do not harm anybody. I do so. I'm not gonna follow some rules set by some chump in some chair in some office I do not even know where it is. They are non-existent to me.

Overall, everywhere, even in real life, there are many dumb rules. Everybody wants to be an authority and set rules for others to follow - to suit their own interests.

Be my guest.

Since this is an RPG, you can take all the above as me roleplaying a Chaotic Neutral character. How about that, lol...

Anyone who uses their character's alignment, (which AFAIK doesn't exist in 4E), to break the in-game rules, is just trying to justify their bad behavior.

Regardless, you seem to want to be able to play the game while simultaneously taking steps that undermine its continued existence. If you don't like the prices set by the game developers and their parent company, then either don't buy those items/service or wait until they are discounted to a point you find acceptable. All you are doing is encouraging those 3rd party sellers to continue botting and/or stealing from people in the name of your own selfishness.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Anyone who uses their character's alignment, (which AFAIK doesn't exist in 4E), to break the in-game rules, is just trying to justify their bad behavior.

Regardless, you seem to want to be able to play the game while simultaneously taking steps that undermine its continued existence. If you don't like the prices set by the game developers and their parent company, then either don't buy those items/service or wait until they are discounted to a point you find acceptable. All you are doing is encouraging those 3rd party sellers to continue botting and/or stealing from people in the name of your own selfishness.

Impossible not to buy. I PvP. I have to be geared or I cannot compete.

I would gladly pay a subscription and have things available to me as I had in other MMORPGs I played before. The hundred USD necessary to make a PvP character are an offense to the sanity of any person.

I am not undermining the game existence. Its very own developers are, by using a bad freemium model.

Rules?

They are NOTHING to me. And I am not roleplaying anymore. That doesn't mean I break them, because I might dislike the consequences. But I have no respect for either the rules of the ones that made them. None at all.
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Be my guest.

or you can read through the CONTRACT you signed before you created your first character.
    Cheaters, exploiters,trying to justify your inability to follow rules you agreed to.
    Just because you can do it does not make it right.
    Just because you benefit, does not make it acceptable.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    or you can read through the CONTRACT you signed before you created your first character.
    Cheaters, exploiters,trying to justify your inability to follow rules you agreed to.
    Just because you can do it does not make it right.
    Just because you benefit, does not make it acceptable.

I signed to be able to play. I do not care about anything that I signed.

By the way I never cheated in any online game, not once. I used the 99 rank 5 stacks just like anyone else. I didn't inflate my stats or ran 100 CNs in a day or whatever else there was.

And I put more money in this game than most rule-abiding people here. Read, a LOT more.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    *Slowly and meticulously buys peridots 1 by 1 from AH*
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I signed to be able to play. I do not care about anything that I signed.

remember , if you ever try that argument in court. The judges response will be on the line of "then you're an idiot."
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    remember , if you ever try that argument in court. The judges response will be on the line of "then you're an idiot."

I READ the rules and respect things that might get me in trouble. Because I am a person that is preoccupied with their own comfort. Being in any court would mean I am uncomfortable, which I would dislike.

So I am not as dumb as you might think.

I still have no respect for rules and people that set them.

Now can we get back on track and comment on how killing the bots made the life in the virtual realm of Neverwinter more miserable for its inhabitants?
  • allenscottallenscott Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    By the GODS....thousands? Well, good to hear they are gone-di. Also good to know that it wasn't me being suspicious or paranoid!
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    *Slowly and meticulously buys peridots 1 by 1 from AH*
    *Slowly and meticulously buys blood rubies from the zen store*...oh wait, I'm not convincing anyone here am I?*

But yeah, I get the feeling a lot of the supposed positive changes are just to try and make blood rubbish more desirable as RP instead of actually, y'know, farming it yourself or buying it from bots for a reasonable price.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited July 2014
    pitshade wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.

Apologies.. I may have been rushing, but I missed your last line (in parentheses.) I saw it after I posted... had I seen it, I would have just said 'Yeah, what Pitshade said!' heheh

But yeah, we are seeing the same thing, so at least it's consistent.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    What about those players that exploited their stats and used the old fusion method?

Last time I checked (yesterday), they are now online and scot-free.

I will be checking for their names later this month to see whether this is the real deal or just PR.

edit: And by the way, these exploiters that Cryptic just lets go free are also selling their exploited diamonds to 3rd party sites. That is also another source of diamonds for them. The players don't care that they are getting ripped off because those hundreds of millions of diamonds were exploited in a week.

So ban all the bots you want, there are at least 2 players I know that have over a billion exploited AD that are selling to 3rd party sites.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Be my guest.

Well I'd say you are chaotic neutral irl ;). As this is a form of entertainment and we engage it through real life. How you behave (exploit or no) and treat people (build Up/strip down), tells exactly how you are in real life.

To think that you aren't negatively affecting others is silly. There is a group of people directly making a living off this game and the ideas put forth have been decades in the making.

To break the rules and bot n sell is directly providing a detriment to their income to purchase off these sites or support them is indirectly approving this behaviour and saying "yeah it is ok to steal (siphoned income from the devs) and when I make something you can come steal off me too, because stealing is ok!"
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    "It is just a game" is never a defense for not caring about rules or the effects your actions have on other players.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Consider it done.
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Ohhhh in before a whole new wave of "banned unfairly" rage posts. Someone pass me the popcorn my weekend entertainment is looking up. :D
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Be my guest.

But actions here have real world consequences. 3rd party sellers are typically involved in money laundering for organised crime. This means that supporting botters, gold sellers, and the like supports crimes such as drug trafficking, sex trafficking, gun trafficking, terrorism, etc. Things do not exist in a vacuum. Your actions in a game as related to any rmt can effect a lot of things out of game. This is why FinCen is starting to put new rules into effect, why diablo 3 bound everything in game to account, and why more and more games will start binding more and more items to accounts.