test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are we going to get more character creation options in Mod4?

ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
edited July 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Looking at the new warlock design from the news. The female warlock has painted nails. Seriously, you show this stuff off and just tease and frustrate some people.
Post edited by ghoulz66 on

Comments

• pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hope so!

Also hope they don't mess anything up like the Halfling's melon heads xDD
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just wish they'd at least update the costume portion of our paper dolls so that they're equivalent to other Cryptic games. Three costume slots? really guys? I want gloves, and boots, and legs, and chest, and back, and helm. I want to be able to turn in game armor into part of my character costume (for a price of course). You guys could do so much with the customization in this game to make some good coin for yourselves as well. And if you're smart and sell a lot of it for AD instead of zen, it'll create a worthwhile sink and balance out this economy.
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would love to see the older hair styles updated.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What happened to the old faces? I created a new character recently, seemed everything was new, and not better than what they had before. Why did they throw out the old faces?
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would settle for them just fixing the creator to go back to the old options.

I recently went into the character creator for the first time in a long while and saw a pale shadow of what it used to be.

I was thinking of basically starting over with a new main, but when I saw what I couldn't do any more, I abandoned not only that notion, but the notion of making any new character for a while.

I only looked at a couple of races, so maybe something else might be more acceptable, but it still doesn't change that the character creator was far superior as it was originally.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stabbath wrote: »
    What happened to the old faces? I created a new character recently, seemed everything was new, and not better than what they had before. Why did they throw out the old faces?

New high-resolution 3D Models of heads, incompatible with old head models.

@Cryptic: Ditto on costume/customization options for cash. Sure, a lot of people play 100% on free basis. But those of us who do throw real money at you have a real bad habit of spending lots on *PIXEL CANDY*.
    MOAR, PLZ.
  • tripurantakatripurantaka Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I also would like to see the earlier faces available again. In particular, I find impossible to make the kind of elves - males and females - that I like with the new presets.

Big disappointment, since I liked very much the visual style of the game, and the characters, their faces and expressions, are a very important part of it.

Perhaps it's possible to add a small "More" tab at character creation, for having access not only to the new faces, but to the earlier ones as well.
  • durgabhairavidurgabhairavi Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I also would like to see the earlier faces available again. In particular, I find impossible to make the kind of elves - males and females - that I like with the new presets.

I strongly agree and want to support the return of the earlier faces.

Besides, if I want to go to The Tower of Alteration with one of my characters for changing, let's say, the size of her arms, now I'm forced to go out of there with one of these new faces, which have nothing to do with my current characters.

Definitely I like more the earlier faces - the new ones are sort of lifeless to my mind.
    edited July 2014

So they "upgraded" to a downgrade?
    edited July 2014
    I would settle for them just fixing the creator to go back to the old options.

I recently went into the character creator for the first time in a long while and saw a pale shadow of what it used to be.

I was thinking of basically starting over with a new main, but when I saw what I couldn't do any more, I abandoned not only that notion, but the notion of making any new character for a while.

I only looked at a couple of races, so maybe something else might be more acceptable, but it still doesn't change that the character creator was far superior as it was originally.

Wow. Same here. I got my AD stole from a hack, and for some reason that made me want to just start all over again, but I looked at the face/hair options etc. and was like, screw that.... So, playing another game.
    edited July 2014

@Cryptic: Ditto on costume/customization options for cash. Sure, a lot of people play 100% on free basis. But those of us who do throw real money at you have a real bad habit of spending lots on *PIXEL CANDY*.
    MOAR, PLZ.

I had a hard enough time running the game with their old res. My pc isn't <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> either. When I tried the game again recently, it looked real pixelated with the lower settings I had to choose for smooth game performance. Weird since I play other games with better graphics just fine. Not sure if I can name game names here so won't give examples.
    edited July 2014
    Well they still have to render (I guess that's the word, I'm no game dev) the old faces. My old characters still have the old faces, and bodies.
    edited July 2014
    So they "upgraded" to a downgrade?

"Upgrade" and "Downgrade" are both subjective. I consider it neither. Perhaps "sidegrade".
    I had a hard enough time running the game with their old res. My pc isn't <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> either. When I tried the game again recently, it looked real pixelated with the lower settings I had to choose for smooth game performance. Weird since I play other games with better graphics just fine. Not sure if I can name game names here so won't give examples.

I agree the graphics in Neverwinter need some real reworking in terms of the CPU and GPU demand they require. And I'm referring not only to textures but a lot of the polygonal mesh and other 3D computational requirement. Even with object occlusion and phantom collisions it can still bring a modern computer to its knees in many cases.
    Well they still have to render (I guess that's the word, I'm no game dev) the old faces. My old characters still have the old faces, and bodies.

This is true. However, rendering specific mesh shapes is one thing, creating a mesh shape and allowing the shape to be changed dynamically in micro-increments (read: Character Generator) is a whole other thing and the two things may not be wholly compatible together.

Just as most people don't have a clue how their car works (just turn the key and press the accelerator and it goes) - most people really don't have a clue how 3D Rendering works.

I started playing with 3D Ray Tracing back in mid '80's - my favorite tool at the time was a program (we called them programs back then, not "Apps") was called Sculpt-3D, then I moved on to Rhino 3D and so many other (I loved Digital Toaster). And if any Devs see this comment they'll either recognize the name and hook a brow or they're still babes-in-the-wood. Anyway, just saying I know small thing or two about what's going on under the hood. LOL
    edited July 2014
    kalindra wrote: »
    My 2 Cents:
    - give the tieflings the option for less impressive horns and tails ( the actual ones, large or small single unicorn, full crest, none at all, etc.; no / horse- / lion- / bunny- / the old devil-tail, maybe cloven hooves or backward bend knees, etc.); in AD&D the where imbued with the chaos of the abyss and at the moment they are anything but that (and for many players NOT aesthetically pleasing).

Tieflings don't work like that anymore.

They aren't "imbued with the chaos of the abyss".

According to this FR site, here is what they have to say about 4E Tieflings in the Realms....
    All tieflings currently alive on Toril are descended from Asmodeus and all have a similar devlish look. Prior to the ascension, the infernal blood could be diluted through intermarriage. Now, the union of a tiefling with another race always produces a tiefling child.

I am assuming that this comes from the 4E FR players guide.
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    (we called them programs back then, not "Apps")

Uh, people still call them programs, except for Mac users. And even then many of those call them programs, especially if they come from a PC background. You're trying too hard.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
    edited July 2014
    naicalus wrote: »
    Uh, people still call them programs, except for Mac users. And even then many of those call them programs, especially if they come from a PC background. You're trying too hard.

I prefer to just call them BIT and BYTE, or when I'm feeling jovial I'll actually spell them out, such as 01101110 versus 10010110.

For all you kidos that would be Binary digIT and BYnary digiT Eight.

~cough~
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure if you're attempting to joke, or just attempting to continue being condescending and grognard-y with things that are still in use today. It's like watching a trainwreck, except the train is moving through jello.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
    edited July 2014
    naicalus wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're attempting to joke, or just attempting to continue being condescending and grognard-y with things that are still in use today. It's like watching a trainwreck, except the train is moving through jello.

If I appear to be condescending then thats only because you're reading it that way (a.k.a. pessimism). How you choose to take the meaning of my words is your own personal issue, not mine. I will, however, help you better understand anything and everything I say and why with this:

I speak frankly and plainly and I never sugar-coat things. I not only do not believe in or support "Political Correctness", but I outright move against it and make every attempt to quash it. Hence, if you take any offense at anything I say, then that's a problem for you to solve, not me. It's personal issue and low-and-behold there is no Constitutional right to "not be offended".

And finally, if you take this very comment as 'condescending' then you make my case for me and I rest. :)

Now back on-topic:
    Old head models will not return because they are incompatible with the new head models in the character designer. No, I do not know this for a fact, it is my hypothesis based on my years (and years and years) of experience in 3D modeling and ray tracing, etc. I will say this, though: Among all the Cryptic-developed games, Neverwinter has the least "quality" character shape-builder among all their games and the Star Trek Online and Champions Online versions make the Neverwinter version look like it's from 1999.

Even the Champions Online version is lacking horribly when compared to the Star Trek Online version of customizability. In any case it is what it is. We can request, beg-and-plead for new features and customizability and even complain over the loss of old character mesh models until we're all blue in the face, but it's not going to change anything.