test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Isn't Champion Mage kind of underrated?

hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2014 in The Library
HV is better I know but in comparison to other sets, isn't it better because it gives ArP and HP? What about the 4-set bonus?
(´・ ω ・`)
Post edited by hefisdo on

Comments

• crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's good besides the fact that it gives no tenacity for PvP, and in pve you don't really need the hitpoints
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I speak for PvE xD

And I don't think you can avoid a survivability stat in any gear; there's always deflect, defense, life steal, regeneration or HP. HP seems to be the most useful afaik (even radiant enchantments are most commonly used for defense slots).
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    HP is awful for PvE.
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    smulch wrote: »
    HP is awful for PvE.

Best bang for your buck for any defensive slot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    Best bang for your buck for any defensive slot.

Agreed. Especially since a lot of healing is "X%". More hit points effectively increase your healing by a lot of effects.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited July 2014
    Lifesteal is way better than hp up to diminishing returns.
    edited July 2014
    Lifesteal is way better than hp up to diminishing returns.

The two work well together. You really want a lot of both. Personally, I get around 1500 lifesteal from my gear alone (I prioritized it as being below only power and armor pen on my accessories). Much more than 1500 doesn't help a lot. That way I can use radiant enchantments in all of my defense slots - which puts me near 30k hp. When I take them up to rank 9 or 10 I'll be easily over 30k. The result is I'm very good at surviving burst damage - the kind Valindra, the Dracolich, and other big time threats dish out. Sustained damage isn't really a big threat to CW's since we can lifesteal to heal ourselves so fast. It's the burst damage that always does us in. But with 30k hp I can withstand that burst damage. If I make a mistake I don't die, I can refill my hp with one good shard of avalanche or sudden storm, and I'm then able to revive group members. I think it's a much more useful build than a glass cannon where you're always the first to go down. I'm usually the last one alive in any party I'm in.

The combination of high lifesteal and high hp can make a CW pretty darn hard to kill in PvE. Plus, hp has no diminishing returns which makes it outperform defense and deflect by a substantial margin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    Anyway. I'm asking this mainly to know what set I'm going to use in case HV gets any considerable nerf, which I think it's not hard to happen.

Champion Mage looks pretty decent for me, since you can get to the soft caps easily because it gives ArP and Crit, and more HP is always welcomed. I'm just in doubt because of the set bonus, which makes me think it'll be better to get a 2 part combo with another set.
    (´・ ω ・`)
    edited July 2014
    hefisdo wrote: »
    Anyway. I'm asking this mainly to know what set I'm going to use in case HV gets any considerable nerf, which I think it's not hard to happen.

Champion Mage looks pretty decent for me, since you can get to the soft caps easily because it gives ArP and Crit, and more HP is always welcomed. I'm just in doubt because of the set bonus, which makes me think it'll be better to get a 2 part combo with another set.

Hypothetically speaking, if the High Vizier Set got nerfed into the ground I would go to the Shadow Weaver set.

I don't worry too much about what stats the armor gives. Enchantments can always be swapped out to compensate. Yes, the 400 or so armor penetration is nice, but that would give me more armor penetration than I would ever need for PvE. So I would shift those enchantments to radiants to give me ~400 more power. That's about 1.5% more damage for me only. Pretty inconsequential. That's a long way of saying the set bonuses should be a much, much, much bigger consideration than the stats on the gear.

I am intrigued by some of the potential of the Champion Mage set. For example, an oppressor build on the preview server can already cast Icy Terrain at a pretty fearsome clip. Putting it in mastery with a champion mage set would allow you to practically turn the battlefield into an ice skating rink. That could be useful. It may, repeat, may beat other sets for control purposes, though the Archmage set may be even better if reducing cooldowns on control spells is the goal. However, the Champion Mage set will not beat out other sets at increasing total party damage. Shadow weaver, when it is up, will give the entire party 226 lifesteal and 10% additional crit severity. The crit severity alone will beat any individual damage boost you'd gain from your decreased cooldown and 5% additional damage on one tabbed spell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    huh, no, you got it wrong for shadowweaver.

It's 18% crit severity and 678 lifesteal for the party.
    edited July 2014
    huh, no, you got it wrong for shadowweaver.

It's 18% crit severity and 678 lifesteal for the party.

Yeah, that didn't seem right when I was typing it. I went with what was on the wiki

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Control_Wizard#Shadow_Weaver

which is wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm keeping a set of Archmage and a set of Champion Mage in my bank, just in case. The changes in Mod 4 are going to be interesting, to say the least, and some builds might make a good case for NOT using High Vizier.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think the stats it has is good.

Theres nothing wrong with HP. its just that the set bonus is dwarfed by the others. Sometimes defensive stats go along way where some small damage increases are less noticable.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
    edited July 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    I don't worry too much about what stats the armor gives. Enchantments can always be swapped out to compensate. Yes, the 400 or so armor penetration is nice, but that would give me more armor penetration than I would ever need for PvE. So I would shift those enchantments to radiants to give me ~400 more power.

That's kind of the point. If you get your stats to the caps with your gear, the slots can be saved so you can put radiant enchantments on them. If I do so, I get about 1300 more points on Power, whose can increase my damage by a good amount since Power has no DR.

By the way, I already thought about using Shadow Weaver, the bonus is actually really good, but I end with a lot of crit and having my slots occupied by dark enchantments. If the performance in the party is worth it and I can get a good uptime of the buffs w/o having this reflected in my powers bar, I'll probably use it.
    (´・ ω ・`)