test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Scourge Warlock

gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!

We are happy to unleash the Warlock upon all the foes who set upon the denizens of Neverwinter! The Warlock is a powerful spellcaster who leverages his dark bargain with his patron to decimate foes with Necrotic and Fire damage. Warlocks have access to the Hellbringer Paragon Path, and 3 Paragon feat trees; Fury, Damnation, and Temptation.

Overview
Warlocks can fill one of two roles in a group. They can dedicate themselves to the dark arts and decimate their foes, either by dealing necrotic damage and cursing foes or by summoning their soul puppet to augment their damage. Additionally Warlocks can support their allies by tearing the souls from their foes to heal and empower their allies. The three feat trees are broken up as described below.
  • Fury – A Fury Warlock destroys his foes with fire and death, cursing his foes and then decimating them with his most powerful spells, leaving them a smoking husk.
  • Damnation – A Damnation Warlock controls a soul puppet to empower himself and destroy his foes, eventually making this puppet a permanent part of his arsenal. While his Soul Puppet is active he is a much more potent combatant who can destroy foes at various distances.
  • Temptation – A Temptation Warlock binds the souls of his foes and his allies to steal the very life force from his foes to heal his allies. He also commands several auras that bolster nearby allies or weaken nearby foes.
Feedback
We need to collect as much feedback as possible on this so we can tweak the feel of the Warlock in PVE and performance in PVP. Given that, we would like you to categorize and color code your feedback so we can sort it and act on it most effectively! Please use the below format to submit bugs/feedback.

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
Spec: (Please enter the spec that you are providing feedback for here)
Please use “Bold” face text for the Type & Spec then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
(Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Examples:
Bug: Destroyer
Destroyer’s Purpose didn’t grant stacks while dealing damge.

I feel like I don’t have enough tools to stay alive under fire now and it makes tanking too hard.

Please try to play for a few hours to get used to the class. Thank you again for all your help Adventurers! We look forward to hearing back from you!

Chris “Gentleman_Crush” Meyer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Looks fun. Only issue is that I don't know what path to use, maybe I'll just make three warlocks once they go live.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We've got a zombie walk going on. There is no doubt anywhere in my mind that's unintentional. While I'm at it, the shadow shift sprint looks very strange and inhuman
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Warlock Curse
    I've hit level 10 through the use of a pair of tomes of experience, but Warlock's Curse is still unavailable

EDIT: Nevermind, I apparently just needed to spend all my power points to get access. that's still weird though.
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    Bug: Warlock Curse
    I've hit level 10 through the use of a pair of tomes of experience, but Warlock's Curse is still unavailable

EDIT: Nevermind, I apparently just needed to spend all my power points to get access. that's still weird though.

You have to spend 10 power points. This is a change across the board to all classes to fix some unlocking and slotting issues.
  • julianalz55julianalz55 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Can we get a less monkey-like jump? IMO it isn't quite apealing.
  • shiikuushiikuu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited July 2014
    walk looks like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> running amok, but not like a cool warlock running amok
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: All Warlocks
    My sprint on the warlock is inconsistently bugging, I am not noticing any pattern as to when it occurs, but the whole entire shadowy effect flickers on and off, and it is really annoying

The hunch makes already short characters look really really short, maybe you can take that into account during character creation?

The jump is very <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> looking, not entirely sure whether or not I like it, but it is... different.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Character creation screen shows Warlock having Dungeoneering skill, with Thievery description, but once in game they use Arcana.

Also the profanity filter is so sensitive that I couldn't bug the above in game (written exactly how I wrote it here).

I absolutely HATE how my warlock walks. Please, please, for the love of Tymora, don't make me walk like a zombie. I raise zombies, I am not one myself.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • eion311eion311 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited July 2014

What the heck is going on with the Warlocks arms when he walks, coupled with jumping it looks like they were modeled after Gorillas/Monkeys. It just looks "bad".
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ill chime in on the walk animation. It sucks.

The rest of what ive seen so far seems awesome. The first daily power is awesome cool and soul puppets just rock.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Becky, I forgot about that!

While the Hunter-Ranger's constantly looking down is still ridiculous, the Scourge Warlock's posture looks like it was Andy Serkis in motion capture for Planet of the Apes - which is great if you're portraying a chimpanzee. While I expect it was supposed to be a combination of threatening/predatory posture and showing the weight of the demonic pact pressing you down, the end result is the warlock resembles a chimpanzee that is desperately trying to hold in a suppository - again, this highlights just how amazingly emotive Andy Serkis is, but our warlocks aren't Andy Serkis... The Shadow Walk animation with the raised pact blade is fantastic.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Feedback/Question:

Which encounter and at-will powers are considered curses? I only see it listed once in one of the power descriptions.
    Dark Spiral Aura is supposed to only generate additional spirals if a Cursed target is killed. It currently collects a spiral even if I kill an enemy that has not been afflicted with a curse, as far as I'm aware of.

Also, the monkey man movement set is horrible and the graphical effect for Shadow Sprint flickers on and off during use, causing the whole screen to flicker.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Casting curses is the Warlocks TAB ability. My understanding is, it works like a mark. You curse the target to gain extra damage and unlock bonus effects from your at-wills and encounter powers.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Much has already been said about the "monkey" look of the Warlock. It's really, really bad. Warlocks, RP-wise, tend to be quite haughty. I imagined a much prouder posture and stance, something more elitist and arrogant. They did make a deal with the devil, and with that comes hubris.

Plus, it just looks awful.

Warlock "sprint" looks just as bad. It looks like a man/woman on fire, running for a pool of water. I was hoping for a unique dodge mechanic. Perhaps a shadow-type teleport with a brief amount of stealth at the end. It would be much more fitting to the class.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I leveled one just to lv 5, so far I can say they're really fun to play, getting the orbs, summoning the puppet, it's already fun at just lv 4.
    I have to agree with the walk/run and idle stance, I'd like to see something less hunched and more arrogant or something. not so like a zombie. the run looks weird too.
    But congrats so far, it sure seems like a fun class to play.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited July 2014
    I have noticed an incredibly distinct problem that is present in literally no other class in the game: The Warlock has no way around Control abilities. The TR can dodge or stealth, and has Impossible to Catch. HR has the ability to dodge, though it requires precise timing. GF can block attacks that would CC it. DC can dodge, and there's a few things they can do for immunity. CW has a long range teleport they can spam. GWF has the infamous Unstoppable.

Warlocks have literally Nothing. Their sprint mechanic lowers damage, but doesn't resist CC in any way, and there are no powers in the entire bunch that break CC or provide temporary immunity to it. Warlocks are entirely at the mercy of control wizards, punt GFs, everything, and without a dodge mechanic they can't even avoid some of the more reasonable stuff like monster CC or ranged attacks. This is bad. Really, really bad.
  • xplmao2xplmao2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    I have noticed an incredibly distinct problem that is present in literally no other class in the game: The Warlock has no way around Control abilities. The TR can dodge or stealth, and has Impossible to Catch. HR has the ability to dodge, though it requires precise timing. GF can block attacks that would CC it. DC can dodge, and there's a few things they can do for immunity. CW has a long range teleport they can spam. GWF has the infamous Unstoppable.

Warlocks have literally Nothing. Their sprint mechanic lowers damage, but doesn't resist CC in any way, and there are no powers in the entire bunch that break CC or provide temporary immunity to it. Warlocks are entirely at the mercy of control wizards, punt GFs, everything, and without a dodge mechanic they can't even avoid some of the more reasonable stuff like monster CC or ranged attacks. This is bad. Really, really bad.

The sprint gives CC immunity. I tried it against the Harbinger. He didn't prone me down when I sprinted around his AOE circle.
  • djtlitedjtlite Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Boots of Blood has no texture
    Baleful Leather Armor's grimoire on the left hip looks scrunched up on male characters

overall damage is a tad bit low. encounters dont feel like they hit as hard as other dps classes.

and of course warlock monkey run is silly.

lastly please pick another archdevil than belial for our pact patron. it's bad taste to make him our patron and also the guy responsible for our tiefling heritage pact
  • gman118gman118 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    @harnel
    The Warlocks get a 30%DR and CC immunity while sprinting
  • bananachefbananachef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Damage & HP off of a secondary CON stat looks delicious. Plus, this class gets blue Pegasus Regen Rings.

INT as a primary stat seems kind of weak. ArmorPen looks like a somewhat common stat on their gear, with the 2-set Arpen bonus on all of their PvP sets. Unless RSI becomes an integral part of the rotation (when there's already a 5 point heroic feat for -10% cds)...

0 base deflect, 0 deflect feats/powers is going make Warlock sooooo squishy, regardless of heavy CON.
    2 GWFS, 3 TRs, 2 GFs, 1 HR, 1 CW
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Not to pile on, but the walking animation does look very simian-esque. I'm tempted to make chimp noises as my character runs around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: character Gen: When you get to the class screen instead of Scourge Warlock it sayd 'coming soon" when you mouse over the icon
  • lazarusvlazarusv Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Much has already been said about the "monkey" look of the Warlock. It's really, really bad. Warlocks, RP-wise, tend to be quite haughty. I imagined a much prouder posture and stance, something more elitist and arrogant. They did make a deal with the devil, and with that comes hubris.

Plus, it just looks awful.

Warlock "sprint" looks just as bad. It looks like a man/woman on fire, running for a pool of water. I was hoping for a unique dodge mechanic. Perhaps a shadow-type teleport with a brief amount of stealth at the end. It would be much more fitting to the class.

I concur with this notion. The "monkey" look looks wrong, and the "sprint" doesnt fit with 4e description of the class. I imagined they had a "ghost" teleport where he's incorporeal for a second or half second after teleporting (you can see him, but you cant touch him for a second after the ghost teleport) or something of the sort.
    edited July 2014
    xplmao2 wrote: »
    The sprint gives CC immunity. I tried it against the Harbinger. He didn't prone me down when I sprinted around his AOE circle.
    gman118 wrote: »
    @harnel
    The Warlocks get a 30%DR and CC immunity while sprinting

Oh! Thank goodness. I was really worried there.
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I leveled one just to lv 5, so far I can say they're really fun to play, getting the orbs, summoning the puppet, it's already fun at just lv 4.
    I have to agree with the walk/run and idle stance, I'd like to see something less hunched and more arrogant or something. not so like a zombie. the run looks weird too.
    But congrats so far, it sure seems like a fun class to play.

I believe the orbs are currently bugged. They're only supposed to pop up when something that has been cursed is killed. They currently pop up whenever something dies, regardless of if it's been cursed.
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Infernal Spheres

The summoned spheres rarely hit anything. Even when standing right next to a target (easily within the 30' range) they will fly at the target then vanish without doing any damage. Parsing the data, I summoned 5 orbs then stood next to an enemy and sent them. Only 2 hit the enemy.

Also, even when the spheres do hit they do pitiful damage. They do less damage and significantly less dps than the at-will Eldritch Blast
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Infernal Shperes encounter feels EXTREMELY lackluster. It does very little damage, and even worse takes FAR TOO LONG to attack anything, what feels like a full 1-2 seconds between an enemy entering 30' range and the orb going after it
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • ychiakiychiaki Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Dreadtheft is awesome!! Playing with my warlock feels easier and much more fun since I got the encounter.

Also, I noticed something and was wondering, will SW Dread legion's weapons remain without a 2 set bonus? We got the others weapon set but I always used dread legion for the bonus until I save enough AD to get the others so now I'm curious about that detail.
    DC Divine Oracle Faithful
    HR Stormwarden Trapper / Stormwarden Combat
    GWF Swordmaster Destroyer
    CW Master of Flame Thaumaturge / Spellstorm Oppressor
    TR Master Infiltrator Executioner
    SW Soulbinder Fury
  • cryptfoundationcryptfoundation Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Okay okay don't hate me but I agree with the semi ridiculous moving animations. In fact I was dying at the person who said it looked like someone on fire trying to get water... ANYWAY In my opinion when I think of the Scourage Warlock who's basically a Wizard who gave up the goodness to become evil.. I think of Valindra in fact. So when I heard it was coming out I imagined they weren't related to monkeys and would move with proudness and arrogance like someone who knew they were gonna win before the fight started. I also think it'd be cool if their sprint was something as if they fly up in to the air and do a cartwheel without the hand motions then descending to the ground. I like the idea of the Puppet however I really wish it'd be less like a companion and more like the Shard of Endless Avalanche where I can designate the target I want him/her to go after. I also think it'd be cool if the Warlock had abilities like:

Hell falls: With the swiftness of the devil, raise your hand causing all weapons to fall proning your targets for x seconds leaving them vulnerable for x seconds (AoE)

Dreading Days: You call upon souls to possess your target damaging themselves with x hits (Single)

Death Wish:Rise your undead army, chain locking your target leaving them vulnerable for the hell that awaits them (Single)

However I really love the implementations that Cryptic decided to go with I just hope the walking will not be final. Same with the jumping and maybe they can consider more encounter ideas to replace the ones that aren't liked that much? I think they could use more prones/stuns because It didn't look like they had a lot and with no dodge nor prones/stuns it can be hard surviving in PVP content. Oh and begging might not help but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SWITCH THE BLADE THINGY WITH A WAND OH HAVE MERCY THEY NEED A WAND AND NOT ONE OF THOSE SMALL WANDS I MEAN THE WANDS THAT CAN BE USED AS CANES IF WANTED TO FOR DEAR SAKE. xDD
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Whilst I'm also not a fan of the general posture of the Warlock along with the movement animations and would prefer something more 'normal'. I would like to see this animation remain in the game and be something that is selectable as part of character creation. The 'monkey look' could be fitting for a hulking warrior of little brain. I don't like it for the Warlock but could perhaps choose it for another class.