test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "Scourge Warlock" Feeback/Hype Thread!

Comments

• reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    any chance of evil gods they would be better suited to all the goody too shoes gods we have clearly they are evil aligned so would need something
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yay, another striker... Forgive me if I withhold my enthusiasm.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    any chance of evil gods they would be better suited to all the goody too shoes gods we have clearly they are evil aligned so would need something

While the selection of gods do tend to be on the good side, there is no reason you can't put in your character bio that they actually worship some other god. If the sources I read about Warlocks were at all correct, it seems that they form a pact w/ entities which are very powerful, but not quite gods...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Open worship of evil deities does not fit the heroic theme of the storyline. While playing a mercenary for your own RP enjoyment is possible, the limited dialogue and reward choices do not support this outside of a foundry.

Having had a lot of bad experience with players using evil characters as an excuse to put their fun above those of others and to actively detract from the enjoyment of others for their own amusement... I cannot say I WANT to interact with people who LIKE to play what is morally defined as evil.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    azlanfox wrote: »
    Open worship of evil deities does not fit the heroic theme of the storyline. While playing a mercenary for your own RP enjoyment is possible, the limited dialogue and reward choices do not support this outside of a foundry.

Having had a lot of bad experience with players using evil characters as an excuse to put their fun above those of others and to actively detract from the enjoyment of others for their own amusement... I cannot say I WANT to interact with people who LIKE to play what is morally defined as evil.

I've seen that too over many years of gaming. Too many people use "I'm RP'ing Evil" as an excuse to grief and generally be jerks.
    I agree that evil characters do not fit the heroic theme of the storyline, which is why I hope they add some non-infernal warlocks soon after warlocks go live.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    One can gain power from a Dark EVIL source and still do good.
    • Ghost Rider
    • Hellboy
    • Daimon Hellstrom
    • Spawn
    • Daredevil (oh wait, not him)

Of course they could always be cursed when they pray to their deity. :eek:
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    thesensai wrote: »
    Hopefully Paladin will be next, as is the most requested class of all (according to forum polls)

paladin might be a deathblow for DC ang GF...
    but maybe its time to finish it
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would say that dragon born option might be in this due to the naming of the thing. And if I am not mistaken in d20 you coveted another race to be dragon born. Do to this is loosely very much so based on 4th edition and they then became there own race will be a new race option. Altho a converion would be a nice touch and a nod to the past but doubt will happen.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    caexar wrote: »
    Pretty much. It'll be the next TR, HR. Everyone and their mom will make one and give the community as a whole a bad view of them because so many will be horrible at playing one.

I was nvr a HR, or a TR, or a CW, or a DC.. Some of us stick with what we actually enjoy instead of jumping the FotM wagon..
    That being said Ive been waiting for a year to roll a Tiefling as I love the race so all I needed was a cool caster class ( CW doesnt fit that in my eyes ).

Note to devs: Keep the CW's horrendoes casting animations and combat posture awaaaay from the Warlock please
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I call dibs on Hellboy!

Not even close... the name is Richard
    edited July 2014
    Im pretty sure the first PP gonna be the Hellbringer (infernal pact, with focus on extra fire damage and bypassing fire immunities).

But if u want a comprensive list (w/o details), here: Doomsayer, Entrancing Mystic, Evermeet Warlock, Fey Touched, Hexer, Life Stealer, Master Binder, Dark Reckoner (dark pact), Darkwalker (dark pact), Storm Scourge (fey pact), Disciple of Razaundra (gloom pact), Legendary Hexblade (with Elemental versions), Nightmare Weaver, Master of the Starry Night (starpact), Student of Caiphon (star pact), God Fragment (vestige pact), Sea Tyrant Oracle (vestige pact) and the Planeshifter (which can be a Wizard PP as well).

For those who dont know, pacts are the source from where the Warlocks gain their powers. The infernal is the most common, i believe. And then, sadly, I also believe we wont see this implemented, out the said PPs. :/

Hexers are already ingame as NPCs so the powers are probably ready
    edited July 2014
    I read the contents of the link, Trace. I must say that I LOVE some of the things I saw in there such as the "Shadow Walk" mechanic which seems to be the Warlock's Shift Mechanic. I'm hoping the Neverwinter version retains the concealment mechanic of Shadow Walk. Momentary concealment after dodging sounds really neat.

As for the Warlock's Curse, as it is, it sounds awfully similar to the GF's Mark... too similar, in fact. So I'm hoping the devs somehow managed to tweak it to at least be more fun and useful than Mark. An idea would be giving our Encounters some extra effects whenever it is used on a Cursed opponent.

I'm hoping the Warlock will have a lot of tricky elements to it.

Edit: Giving us a choice of what our Encounters' extra effects would be seems fun as well. Another Tab Mechanic idea would be giving us a choice of Slotting "Pacts" on our Tab Slot. Depending on what Pact we have equipped, our encounters will receive special effects unique to that specific path.

Anyway, this is just me hoping the Warlock has been done right. I can't wait!

My poor GF alt, you know you're having it bad when the new class hopes to not be anything like you
  • couatl13couatl13 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I really hope that the make some of the other warlock options other than infernal pact available. Given what's already in the game story-wise, fae, elemental, or other such warlocks would fit right in.
    Given the game as it is structured, having all of the warlocks be evil users of devil magic doesn't really seem to fit in. Why would such a person do the neutral-to-good themed actions that the quests send you on? And wouldn't the local magistrates have a fit that their city has been suddenly invaded by users of infernal powers?

Oh, I don't know. The Tiefling Farideh is not only in an Infernal pact but also a Chosen of Asmodeus, and she's still of Good alignment.
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    While the selection of gods do tend to be on the good side, there is no reason you can't put in your character bio that they actually worship some other god. If the sources I read about Warlocks were at all correct, it seems that they form a pact w/ entities which are very powerful, but not quite gods...

oh yeah lets just roleplay to get around a lack of gods that are in DnD ill just roleplay i can beat anyone in pvp too lol
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    oh yeah lets just roleplay to get around a lack of gods that are in DnD ill just roleplay i can beat anyone in pvp too lol
    Oooo! I like this game...

<image removed, sadly.. "shhh... i'm batman">
    va8Ru.gif
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    anharmon wrote: »

Also, as much as I hate it, I'm probably going to be one of the 99% of the game population being a warlock for a month. How unfortunate.

There's nothing unfortunate about this at all. Who cares if everyone rolls up a Warlock. It's a new class, go and play it! Have fun! That's what the game is all about.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • nubc3ke7331nubc3ke7331 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I thinks its great!

But:

All I can think about is 7 class types and the old 5 man dungeons
    The <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sharandar dailies which makes me wanna hang myself(9 level 60's)
    I hate that this game turned into a daily grind of nothing and full of cry babies(mainly pvp area)

We need new type of content that plays in favor of the veteran players who have been here since beta. Most players I know have rolled out to other games. We have no need to stay other then make new character level to 60 then back to nothing again

10 man raids/dungeon runs with only 2 allowed of each class, randoms spawns of adds and bosses, different types of pvp capture flag guard a vip something come on guys

Main reason I have not left yet because I have spent to much money on this game to turn away but as for playing I just log on pray and do professions through gateway that's it

Please I am asking you guys and I'm sure I am not alone (most of my guild feel the same way). come up with something with the new mod4 for the vets to keep this game going. My 2 cents most will say I am wrong but its how I feel
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    valwryn wrote: »
    One can gain power from a Dark EVIL source and still do good.
    • Ghost Rider
    • Hellboy
    • Daimon Hellstrom
    • Spawn
    • Daredevil (oh wait, not him)

Of course they could always be cursed when they pray to their deity. :eek:

There's a difference (at least in the comic book worlds that you reference) between those who gained their powers from a dark source but struggle against that internal darkness, still doing good, and those who gain their powers by willfully entering into a pact with Evil on order to gain power. Infernal pact warlocks are almost by definition that latter group. Any infernal pact warlock that isn't working evil with their powers is likely getting a visit soon from some infernal thugs reminding him of exactly who his master is.
    edited July 2014
    I've seen that too over many years of gaming. Too many people use "I'm RP'ing Evil" as an excuse to grief and generally be jerks.
    I agree that evil characters do not fit the heroic theme of the storyline, which is why I hope they add some non-infernal warlocks soon after warlocks go live.

A bit off topic, but most players have no idea how to properly RP an evil character. Szass Tam from the Richard Bryer series is a brilliant example of proper (Lawful) Evil alignment. I was enthralled with his depiction of the most powerful necromancer in Faerun. Sadly, though, most people just RP "evil" idiots or mean people.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    A bit off topic, but most players have no idea how to properly RP an evil character. Szass Tam from the Richard Bryer series is a brilliant example of proper (Lawful) Evil alignment. I was enthralled with his depiction of the most powerful necromancer in Faerun. Sadly, though, most people just RP "evil" idiots or mean people.

Sadly, some of us have local real-world examples for inspiration:

<removed>

Don't have nightmares.
    edited July 2014
    I was expecting a picture of <removed>.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hard to tell from the pictures : http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/6002833 but looks like the armor will be cloth base which is sad.

Warlock in 4E have both Base Leather and Cloth Armor and since theirs 2 class that benefits from leather armor profession already and 2 mailsmithing it's only logical their will be a 2nd cloth, which is sad I'd prefer Leather.

As for weapons either sword or rod and since theirs more class benefiting from Weaponsmithing then artificing I'd say it will be rods, judging by the last picture.

Or Cryptic, not known for their knuckle-balls, could make a brand new infernal profession or something.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »
    Hard to tell from the pictures : http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/6002833 but looks like the armor will be cloth base which is sad.

Warlock in 4E have both Base Leather and Cloth Armor and since theirs 2 class that benefits from leather armor profession already and 2 mailsmithing it's only logical their will be a 2nd cloth, which is sad I'd prefer Leather.

As for weapons either sword or rod and since theirs more class benefiting from Weaponsmithing then artificing I'd say it will be rods, judging by the last picture.

Or Cryptic, not known for their knuckle-balls, could make a brand new infernal profession or something.

You seem to be right about Leather , I have seen a few screenies of drops and the armor was Light Leather unless they change it.

53sbYid.jpg

Weird thing is the Pact blade is ranged? is that normal ( I know not much about D&D xD )

noRbZKC.jpg
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    I was nvr a HR, or a TR, or a CW, or a DC.. Some of us stick with what we actually enjoy instead of jumping the FotM wagon..
    How do you know what you enjoy without trying it out? :confused:

Also, some of us are able to enjoy more than one thing.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Weird thing is the Pact blade is ranged? is that normal ( I know not much about D&D xD )
    The Warlock Pact Blade is a magical implement like the CW Orb rather than a 'normal' weapon. They'll be using it to channel spells through rather than stabbing people with it. An example is used in the game's opening cinematic when Makos (?) pulls out a dagger and fires a flame bolt at the Dracolich.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    You seem to be right about Leather , I have seen a few screenies of drops and the armor was Light Leather unless they change it.

53sbYid.jpg

noRbZKC.jpg

Well that's refreshing, although a third class requiring leatherworking!, I expect Assets to go up in prices on AH.
    The blade I have no idea what profession it will require though since it's tagged as both weapong and implement, glad it's not a Rod.
  • lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't like warlocks on DnD games or in any game in fact, I also don't like summoners... that said, at least is a different gameplay for people who like it, so it is nice.

Of course I'll consider at least play them to see how it feels, but I just hope they can make something better still this year because I have not been playing since the crappy IWD launch and was hopping to something good on next module, and it seems the class wont be it.
  • applebeesuyumapplebeesuyum Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yeah, I can't say I like how warlock have been portrayed in most MMOs, NWN/NWN2 though they are only single player games w/ multiplayer mods I feel like they really did the caster classes true justice. PW isn't very good at making classes though, I play a HR atm but even with that I dont really get to enjoy the class, when I see a ranger or want to play the class I don't want to be pigeon holed into a a hybrid, I picked the class in the first place because I like to "pew pew" with a bow, its why I played a ranger in Everquest for 8+ years. Sure sometimes I have to drop my bow and grab my swords but I also don't want to play a game. Where if I am not "yoloing it up" as a hybrid I end up feeling like I am playing it wrong.
    I also dislike the fact, I can't even respect without giving them my RL cash so I can try Pathfinder.

I get that same feeling with CW, I always tend to gravitate to caster dps, Magicians, Wizards, Sorcerers, Necromancers ect...We need a good one. I dont get that feeling when I see control then... wizard... especially when you look at 4e or 3.5 or even DnD:Next, wizards naturally just have some kinda crowd control. I don't think we need to be TOLD that. Haha.

Anyway as long as I am not stuck with ridiculous pets to manage and maybe we get some cool curses like... Dragon Age:O Hexes. I think it should be a lot of fun.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    djarkaan wrote: »
    Well that's refreshing, although a third class requiring leatherworking!, I expect Assets to go up in prices on AH.
    The blade I have no idea what profession it will require though since it's tagged as both weapong and implement, glad it's not a Rod.

Are pact blades intended to actually slash/stab with, or are they more of an implement or focus for the ranged at-wills, (like eldritch blast, etc), and other spells?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Warlock is going on preview in about 25 minutes , a list of Warlock abilities is up on the preview subforum now!!11! XD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif