test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Your take-away from the anniversary event...

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    berylgreen wrote: »
    Interesting. I had no idea. When I try to use the ticket that I bought, I get the message "You cannot equip any more of these."

If you're referring to the Garden key - it only works *after* the event and the door is locked.
  • tinykeerohtinykeeroh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hmm, well I was a big fan of all the aesthetic rewards, I just would have preferred all of the items to be account-bound. :<
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I found the event too grindy.

-running to furthest point on the map - not fun.
    -the skirmish is ok if you do it with competent friends, if not it is not worth the time.
    -have to repeat the skirmish and the quests too many times IMO. Yes the rotating mobs/objectives in the skirmish add some spice, but not enough. I got bored 1/2 way through the event and stopped.

-was nice to see some new temp/event content.
    -was nice to see all the new fashions and armour transmutes.
  • jenouncesjenounces Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's my first event; I'm a relatively new player, and I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I didn't really figure out how it worked until about 2/3s through the event.

Even as a level 20 character, it let me get a good companion. I don't see much benefit to the Gardens, though.
    One side question: I see a lot of that companion in the Auction House for a lot of diamonds. Are event items like this (or the costumes) worth grinding for to sell on the auction house later on, or is the market just flushed with items folk aren't generally buying?
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The version of the companion that you can buy is BoP I think. You have to get one from the chest in the skirmish to be able to sell it. Same with throne. The fashion set should be worth something down the road, but most likely you'll have to wait at least a month before the price rises. Sell quickly for a small amount or later for a higher one.

The value in permanent access to the garden comes from having more than one character, especially when they've either finished or aren't doing the questline. You'll want to be able to invoke them everyday, usually in quick succession. If they are doing leadership, they are getting chests which contain a fair amount of vendor trash that clutters up their inventories. If you want to move an item from one character to another, especially profession items, you'll be running to the mailbox a lot. The Shrine of the Gods has an invoke circle and is near a mailbox, but there aren't any vendors up there. Once you finish the questline, there aren't a lot of reasons to talk to Sgt. Knox, mostly when starting a new module. The gardens have most of the things that add convenience to running multiple characters and even for the things that aren't there, it's just a jump over the fence (you regenerate all the time in PE) to the professions vendor or the bank. It even has a convenient gate out of PE for quickly going to start the dailies that dominate life at level 60.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't know what it is, but every time Sergeant Knox says: "Malabogs witches are attempting to curse the city", I had a good laugh.
  • vscoutvvscoutv Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    1. I like that the companion was purchasable, after last CTA, in which I ran 250+time and got nothing but the normal chest loot, I swore I would never grind another.

2. The garden area will definitely add some convenience, just wish it would have occurred to me before today to do enough to get extra key for future chars. I wasn't aware they were bind to account til I bought today and noticed. The mouse over just said BOP. But no biggie.

3. I think the thrones are stupid. Perhaps if they had some practical use, such as provided a heal, or a buff of some sort, but I don't understand purpose. But whateva.

But in general, I thought it was a decent event.
    As a young boy chasing Dragons with your wooden sword so mighty, You're St. George or you're David and you always killed the beast
    Times change very quickly And you had to grow up early. A house in smoking ruins and the bodies at your feet ~Iron Maiden
  • dwightmcdwightmc Member Posts: 95
    edited June 2014
    hetz000 wrote: »
    Just realised that in the news it says that the event will be over today in couple hours, but ingame it says still one more day.Which is correct?
    And on the topic i like the event very much,nice skirmish(not so boring), rewards are ok, i dont much care about transmutes in general, but garden and rest of the stuff is great.

The event has been officially extended until tomorrow 10 AM PDT cause we want the celebration to continue :)
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Good to know, I needed 1 day more to get everything I wanted :D
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just wanted to add to the feedback that while the time challenge adds to the excitement, it exclude lowbies to a certain extent. People are kicking them more frequently to get that gold award or leave the group in search for a better composition.

I think its worse than in CtA because taking a bit more time to finish is one thing, but getting only half the reward leads to people being reckless. I would also adjust the queue in future events so that teams consist of at least three 60s. It might mean lower levels have to wait longer, but if they are getting kicked or left alone anyway...
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Just wanted to add to the feedback that while the time challenge adds to the excitement, it exclude lowbies to a certain extent. People are kicking them more frequently to get that gold award or leave the group in search for a better composition.

I think its worse than in CtA because taking a bit more time to finish is one thing, but getting only half the reward leads to people being reckless. I would also adjust the queue in future events so that teams consist of at least three 60s. It might mean lower levels have to wait longer, but if they are getting kicked or left alone anyway...

Well, maybe the devs could experiment a bit and create one version of the event for level 6-30 players, and another for level 31-60, having the lower level version be a bit easier...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • pieloniouspielonious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 33
    edited June 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Well, maybe the devs could experiment a bit and create one version of the event for level 6-30 players, and another for level 31-60, having the lower level version be a bit easier...

Oh, this is a brilliant idea I could get behind! I imagine you still might have the similar problem, if you get some particularly ornrey level 30's that don't want to wait for the level ~10. I, myself, had a couple instances where I had to refuse the requests of other people in the party that wanted me, as the party lead, to kick the lower levels. It's not fair for the lower levels and I really feel for them, especially if they're new and don't have a higher level toon.

One other thing I kept running into were people who would join the skirmish, and then just afk at the campfire near Sgt. Knox until the end and try to just take the reward without actually doing any work (people of all levels). If I was party lead, I'd ask them to participate and if they didn't, I'd kick them, but when you notice this and the party lead just lets them, it's kind of really eehhhhhh. I don't have very amicable feelings towards people who just want to ride the coattails of success of the rest of the party and not actually work for their reward. I don't quite know what a plausible solution for that would be, however, on the devs' end. For now, it seems it's just up to the party lead to take note of such a thing and kick them.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    pielonious wrote: »
    Oh, this is a brilliant idea I could get behind! I imagine you still might have the similar problem, if you get some particularly ornrey level 30's that don't want to wait for the level ~10. I, myself, had a couple instances where I had to refuse the requests of other people in the party that wanted me, as the party lead, to kick the lower levels. It's not fair for the lower levels and I really feel for them, especially if they're new and don't have a higher level toon.

One other thing I kept running into were people who would join the skirmish, and then just afk at the campfire near Sgt. Knox until the end and try to just take the reward without actually doing any work (people of all levels). If I was party lead, I'd ask them to participate and if they didn't, I'd kick them, but when you notice this and the party lead just lets them, it's kind of really eehhhhhh. I don't have very amicable feelings towards people who just want to ride the coattails of success of the rest of the party and not actually work for their reward. I don't quite know what a plausible solution for that would be, however, on the devs' end. For now, it seems it's just up to the party lead to take note of such a thing and kick them.

As loathe as I am to suggest this, maybe we could go by some GS brackets instead of levels - if a level 20 has Mulhorand gear, they could probably keep up with a level 30 using just green gear. So maybe something like < 5k GS, 5001 - <7k, etc...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    loboguild wrote: »

I don't think it's the lowbies so much as the people who are just...I'm not going to say it. My 38 CW found herself getting more than twice the damage than any of the four 60's in the group, for instance. It's like we need a new tutorial on party cohesion or something.

Some hints:

0. Applies to all

- Stay together as a party (with possibly one exception: the shadowfell spires one). Skirmish critters are TOUGH!
    - Shadowfell: split into two groups to dispatch the shards since they're widely separated.
    - Knock it off with the kiting! You prevent the rest of the party from killing things when you keep the threats moving around!

1. Witch fight

- KILL THE WITHERERS!!!!
    - Don't pull extra trolls or cyclopses who are standing all by themselves. Plot your course through the map to avoid unnecessary threats.

2. Aberrants

- Work together! These critters are hard to kill and have crazy-short cooldowns on their AoE.

3. Nashers

- Work together and kill whole groups of Nashers at a time. You only need to kill 40, so just wipe out group after group until you hit it.

4. Orcs

- Do NOT pull all of the orcs in the back up to the boss unless you really enjoy dying. A lot.

5. Rats

- These are pretty easy to take out. You can hit them from both ends of Coriol Street to dispatch them quickly.
    - You only need to collect six bags, and the street contains more than that. You don't have to kill every rat!

6. Undead

- You don't need to kill everything that moves! Go past the bank to the wights at the portal to the Mask (avoiding unneeded threats, see?)
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,064 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    had some cool stuff, but far too short for a 1 year anniversary.. even cryptics other games celebrated longer. kind of felt like they glazed over this one. why I have no idea, but none the less, it was short.

that being said, some of the stuff was cool. some was pretty useless. its all in your taste.

I was far less impressed with events themselves. the meat and potatoes of it was the skirmish, and that was pretty much just a gigantic 3 way zerg.. no real thought was put into the creation of it. there was more thought put into message in a bottle in my opinion lol..

being someone who has played the other cryptic titles through all of their years, this was the most lackluster of them all.

what I take from it, is disappointment. a first year anniversary is a big deal, they did not convey that in the event.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes there are exceptions, but the common low-level participant through the queue is undergeared and inexperienced. Most of the time they had trouble breaking the 200k damage plateau. Sure I could try and quickly brief groups how to approach the encounter, but who does that in a ten minute skirmish? Either the group knows what to do or not and you act accordingly.

Just like CtA the skirmish scales well for those that are geared above-average for their level. I tried for fun with my newly level 12 soon-to-be PVP Cleric. Mulhorand, Xvim and slotted R7s, I got to 1.6M paingiver behind two 60 CW with both around 2.2M. But that's with 2.2k GS at level 12 including 15% Life Steal. That's what you need to be competitive.

Speaking of Life Steal, the greatest issue of low-levels is not damage, it's that they won't survive thanks to insufficient self-healing, at least not the big pulls those CWs and GWFs are preferring.

I like the idea behind the scaling dungeons, but in CtA 60s already are dragging lowbies through and now that you actually can lose parts of the reward, they just get kicked.
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    All in all I was happy with this event.

I have been reading a lot of stuff on the Table Top version of Tyranny of Dragons, so when I started doing the fedex quests and started seeing the introduction of the other alliance groups not previously mentioned in Neverwinter I thought it was very clever. Groups like The Harpers were already in the game, but it was a good way to introduce The Emerald Enclave, Company of the Gauntlet, and Zhentarim - all major players for our team in Tyranny. I also like the clever way they explained why the Fey Elves aren't involved it the events. I didn't see a mention of the Lords Alliance but since Neverember is part of it I will assume it was just an unwritten given.

The Throne is cute, not something I worked for, but if it had turned up in the end chest I would have been happy. The Male version of the Fashion Set is probably my favorite fashion set currently in game, the female version not so much. It only looks right on half the race females. The companion is fun, as is the emote. Most of the Armors actually ended up looking better then I expected, but it would have been nice to see them on a mannequin or something (this game really needs a preview item window).

The Protectors garden is a neat idea, I just wish they would add in the 2 bankers. Also it would be a cool idea that if you have access to the garden that anytime you use a travel gate to get back to PE it exited you at the garden, but its unlikely they went that far (probably a coding issue).

I am glad you could work for all the rewards, but I do have to say the drop rate of event items from the reward chest seemed even more abysmal then usual this time. Between all my character I made over 200 runs and all I saw from the end chest was the lunchbox once. Would have been devastating if all the rewards couldn't have been gotten another way.
  • drezzatdrezzat Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bank access in the garden would be cool BUT I want a mailbox LOL. I really like the SG and the event was very cool running around smashing it up in the enclave. And I agree the way they did the rewards/store was good too. I didn't get a drop from any of the chests but any one that wants a comp/mount/whatever reward could get one so what's the point, happy birthday NVRWNTR
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would like a max of two low level players in a group, so the bonus rewards are reachable. I had runs with my CW, where I did (significant) more dmg, than all of the 4 other players combined. It is a waste of time to get grouped with 3 lvl 8-10 players and a bad geared lvl 60. You have to do all the work, it takes more time and you will miss the bonus rewards.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    drezzat wrote: »
    Bank access in the garden would be cool BUT I want a mailbox

There is one there - its the little hafling dude standing at the far end of the garden opposite entrance - between the trade bar dude and the salvage guy.
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I quite liked it, the short quests were easily doable and it was nice to visit the leveling zones again. The skirmish was fun and the randomness of encounters kept it getting too boring after lot of times. All the RP from the chest was also nice. Unfortunately the event coincided with major holidays here so I didn't get to play as much as I would have liked, but I did manage to get the garden key for both my characters. The armor transmutes are nice but the tunic clips so bad that I won't probably wear it.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    This CTA/Skirmish has brought one thing to my attention - They need to stop mixing low-level players with high-level players.

In the past it did not bother me so much but some of these groups were more than any of my 60s could solo. I didn't go in there to solo but when the level 10 DC, 24 CW, 16 TR and 35 DC die within seconds what am I to do? My DC finished one run with 3.5 million damage. I sometimes won't see that in a T2 dungeon run. . .Worse still is these guys don't listen to advice. Having a low-level CW repel Fleabottom or Karzov away from my IBS or IS or Divine Glow de-/buffed Daunting Light for the nth time just infuriates me. Let the low-level guys experiment with each other against toned-down enemies.

Scale these in future, please. Use the PVP queue scaling or if there are not enough players you could use 10 - 29, 30 - 49 and 50+ brackets. It isn't so much that the players are weak because they still have limited powers, but because they don't yet grasp team play. I know you only have repel as an encounter, cool, but stop using it after I politely asked you not to. Just stand back there and at-will.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • alcattlealcattle Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    overall, I enjoyed the event. I liked the limited nature and reward prices. I did not get anything but enchants from the chest, so good ( no dyes), and bad ( drops really very rare) I only tried 6 days on 2 toons so it was limited for me. They need to fix the teaming, I got put into groups that were in progress and hard to catch up. Others have noted reasons for players dropping out, but the low level toons were not the problem, unless there were 3 of them to only 2 60s. I think I prefer events to CtAs
  • mareatlanticummareatlanticum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 202 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Having a low-level CW repel Fleabottom or Karzov away from my IBS or IS or Divine Glow de-/buffed Daunting Light for the nth time just infuriates me.

This and fighters doing the same all the time just before my Wizard's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> was about to hit was also one of my main irritatations. Another was that I was run-gathering all the enemies and then some low level player gets the king idea of stealing that horde or part of it from me, without being able to handle it and dying trying. Then he just blinks there for help when there is absolutely zero possibility to try to help him and I just lost half of the horde because of him in the mid way, which more than doubles the time needed to handle the horde.

Those were just irritations but the real frustration came from the leeches. Those players who just jumped in and waited for the skirmish to be completed by others. When I was leader, I simply kicked every player who had done nothing when the first wave was done, but there was so many times I wasn't the leader, there were one or two leaches and the current leader didn't kick them even when I sent PM. Only thing I could do at that point was to leave instance and wish them well when they just lost their best damage dealer who had done 1/2-4/5 of damage.

If you see a leech, simply kick him out if he has done nothing after the first wave in the future to discourage such behavior.

Anyways this was probably the best CtA/skirmish this far in my books. Only they could have made the waves completely random. Also those nashers, especially the bowmen did too much damage, as any lag meant death in that encounter. Also in the Orc encounter, even with full pvp set armor, it took so long to get up from the orc shaman blast that he could spam another before I could do nothing and then there was already ogre or another shaman doing the same, meaning double death with nothing I could do. Very irritating.

Also they should add wardrobe of endless space for all the fashion items. You wouldn't put your pantaloones (even golden ones) into bank in real life, nor in the game and I would have bought many mopre fashion sets if I had place where to put them and bank slots are too expensive for that matter.
    Give us 4 or more power/item bar profiles so we can change powers and items with one click that are suited for the situation.
  • berylgreenberylgreen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited June 2014
    I liked this event a lot. The rewards are cool (I like companions and transmutes), and I liked the skirmish with the variations. The group(s) I was in only earned the Gold reward a few times, but I noticed that some of the players who did not know (or care) about the timed thing were level 60s. They would still be back fighting all of the monsters, while one 60 and my 52 GWF were running back to the event stage to fight Makred the Foul. I didn't mind that there were lowbies in most groups. We all needed the skirmish to get the daily figurine from Elminster. I do agree that it could be more enjoyable, if there were brackets for different level ranges/GS.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This and fighters doing the same all the time just before my Wizard's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> was about to hit was also one of my main irritatations. Another was that I was run-gathering all the enemies and then some low level player gets the king idea of stealing that horde or part of it from me, without being able to handle it and dying trying. Then he just blinks there for help when there is absolutely zero possibility to try to help him and I just lost half of the horde because of him in the mid way, which more than doubles the time needed to handle the horde.

Why were you trying to drag together huge mobs when you had a bunch of lowbie players on your team?
  • elderdayselderdays Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I enjoyed the mini side quests the most. It was cool to revisit old zones. Also it made the even seem less grindy to me.
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The event was ok, no complaints. Would say that it was a bit tame, though. I mean, I had a blast at the first Anniversary event I saw on Champions Online.. it was awesome and fun and seemed like a real party. Granted, they repeated it exactly the next two times, so it got old.. but to me an anniversary event should be just about the most festive, fun thing that can happen in a game world like this.

Maybe next year there will be more partying in the streets, and random-seeming events and encounters. =)
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I find it funny that even in the last hours.....someone would still run around the market to round up the Nashers and then scream "LAG" when they instantly died. Some people's kids never learn. :rolleyes:
  • poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Pros.
    1. Storyline changing daily and during skirmish kept it from getting stale.
    2. Companion and fashion items were decent. Also some of the stuff you get from the lunchbox item.
    3. It was quick to run through.
    Cons.
    1. Level disparity was a cause of much contention in the skirmish. You can't get where you need to go sub level 20 with no mount which is a big deal in a timed mission. Also with fewer/weaker powers and feats some of the mobs were hard to do on lower level characters. CAusing higher level accts to ridicule or boot lower level guys.
    2. Beachcomber mission.
    3. I had serious performance issues during skirmish. Protectors enclave seems to make my PC run slow anyways, and that effect was multiplied when attacking mobs in PE.
    4. The dread ring mission bug for lower level players. How can you get the missions if you cant do Dread Ring yet ?
    7 out of 10 stars.

I generally agree with the above, just wanted to add a few bugs spotted inside the skirmish:
    - Red attack alerts practically invisible on the ground
    - Mobs placed on platforms where companions were unable to get (causing companions to run around erratically pulling more mobs, especially annoying during the Witches stage)
    - Nasher's attack buff causing the minor Nasher mobs to go from 1k-ish damage up to 4k per hit on t2 lvl 60s INSIDE ASTRAL
    - Encountered severe frame drop during some runs, possibly caused by certain skills (it seemed correlated with Split the Sky from HRs and Guardian of Faith from DCs), could be server problems though.

I certainly liked that people didn't have to rely on the chest to get throne/companion, although making 20+ run for the throne wasn't exactly an appealing perspective so personally I passed.