test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Weapon Enchants for DC

refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
edited July 2014 in The Temple
I had refined some Rank 8 Lightning, Flaming and Frost enchants and sold them at the AH as they did not seem to be doing too much - and in Skirmishes the arc from Lightning did very small damage but attracted threat from spawns. I want to get a rank 10 enchant when I have the AD.

So what would be the best weapon enchant for a DO battle cleric build? I hear Plague Fire has been nerfed and Terror is better, but for role-play reasons I do not like the idea of necromantic damage.

What about Holy Avenger? Does that work well?

Or any other suggestions?

Cheers

~
Post edited by refracted0dawn on

Comments

• morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Vorp's not bad: crit heals are lovely, and big crits mean big repurpose souls, plus it makes solo stuff less of a chore.

Expensive, though.
  • iuliandreiiuliandrei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    What about Holy Avenger? Does that work well?

I tried that a bit but can't say i noticed a difference, also if you ever want to try it do NOT upgrade it, the difference between lesser and perfect is like 2-3% uptime.
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    DO Battle cleric? Uhm, if you want to do DPS vorpal is your best choice, however, people will prefer a debuffer instead of a "dps" cleric, just letting you know. GPF/Terror for Debuffer cleric. If you like to RP, get a gpf and burn your enemies with sacred blue fire. :rolleyes:
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm running Normal Frostburn on Armor and Normal Frost on Main hand - I'm not a min-maxer, so I don't pay much attention to numbers (to me, they're all so small as to not make much different either way). However, I'm liking these enchantments a lot on my level 60 DC. They seem to be relatively effective in a tactile way (you can see/feel it working). I am 90% Solo content player. But on the rare occasions I've taken her into skirmish or dungeon it shines. Admittedly I do not do PvP - so I cannot answer to its effectiveness there, but word is it works in PvP and opposite players can feel it when it hits.

It's not a DPS enhancement, rather it's more a slow enhancement, which boils down to taking less damage by getting hit a little less often.

My second DC is using a normal Lightning in a Mulhorand Symbol - I must say I'm not seeing any eye-candy effects from it and I really can't tell if it's helping or not (whether it's better with it, rather than without it) - but that toon is only at level 40-something (now in Helm's Hold). I was running a normal Vorpal on that toon and, honestly, I can't feel the difference between that Vorpal and Lightning.

I reiterate: I am not a min-maxer - I'm only describing from a "I only play for fun" perspective. Eye-candy-wise: they're all boring. I really do like the Frostburn/Frost combo, though.

As for Plaguefire: I am using it n a Mulhorand Orb on my second Wizard - Eye-candy is great. But again - I can't really *feel* the difference between that (Normal Plaguefire) and the Normal Vorpal he had previously. He is level late-40's (Pirate's Skyhold/Icespire) - so that feedback may not be very accurate.

When I get my second DC up to 60 I plan to use lesser Bloodrinker (whatever it's called) for Armor (can't afford a better one right now) and I'm not sure if I'll go with Normal Lightning or sell it off and go back to Normal Vorpal (Like I said - I'm not seeing or really feeling the difference). THOUGH I might just send the Lightneing to my Wizzie #2 and bring the Plaguefire over to my DC#2 - for theme purposes.

I figure to play my DC's with as much protection/armor/lifesteal/whatever than to go for hardcore DPS. Things might take a little longer, but not as long as standing at Campfires healing, then running ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the way back to where I was. :)

I hope my simpleton perspective feedback isn't entirely useless! :)
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Would terror/PF be overkill for a High Prophet user?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You do get the benefit of both, if that's what you mean.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited June 2014
    If crit is 35%+, then vorpal would yield best results?
  • xira4xira4 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For PvP, Vorpal for more healing. Plague Fire is also good, it can dismount someone quickly with punishing light.

For PvE, Plague Fire is the best for debuff. I occasionally use Feytouched.

Plague Fire > Terror
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    DO Battle cleric? Uhm, if you want to do DPS vorpal is your best choice, however, people will prefer a debuffer instead of a "dps" cleric, just letting you know. GPF/Terror for Debuffer cleric.

Yes, the build worked very well up to level 59. In many skirmishes I was top or second Paingiver and Exterminator and in some PvP matches I got up to 17 kills and won the top prize several times. But my GS was 8.7k and the rest of the team about 3k, so I assume the enemy team had low GS as well. I even killed a GWF 1 to 1, but that was the only time.

Soon as I hit level 60, I was totally overwhelmed. So I went to the AH and got an Epic Grand Templar armour set and raised my GS to about 11.8k, but still totally overwhelmed by enemies with 18k GS. I have no Tenacity for PvP, though.

The Battle Cleric is not really all about DPS - buff and debuff is involved as well.

If you like to RP, get a gpf and burn your enemies with sacred blue fire. :rolleyes:

I'm an Olde Tyme AD&D role-player. That is what it's all about. That's why I thought a Rank 10 Holy Avenger might be good, with +19% Radiant damage from Holy Light, plus the other effects.

Cheers for the input, guys.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Vorpal>Plagufire>Terror then the rest.. Holy Avenger is terrible, which is too bad, but it is. Vorpal is the only enchant that also enhances heals, which again is sort of sad, but thats the reality of it.

Plague is neat to use honestly, as the ticks knock people off horses and if you by any chance are using a BtS and FF , Plaguefire and BoTs if you are running DO, it actually works well, and you will get a "few" more kills then standard survive with AC build. If you can slam all of those on classes, even when they try to run, you will get a few kills around the corner and you can snicker. Would be even better build, if arp worked with it.

I ran that for about 50 matches in a row, I would normally get like 8 kills per session, which isnt bad really for a cleric. But I did get yelled at alot, I would typically go into the match letting them know I was setting up as dps/debuff not heal for the match and sorry, but wanted to test a few things out. Sadly I did all this previous to mod 3, or I might actually be on may way to some pvp buffs, I dont play on the cleric much anymore in dom matches, as I find it the most painful.. I barely can stand to bring him through IWD..

I eventually gave up on it and swapped over to standard AC build and slot HW/SB and Ashield most matches, if I even bother playing the cleric. They really do make a big difference in certain group compositions, but none in others and the luck of the draw is what determines if you have a fun match or not... oh well, suppose thats the same way with every class though. Painful on my CW without some support.. or multiple HRs nowadays.. had a match this morning with 3 on the opposing team.. painful.
  • onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I use frost for PvE. Mainly because vorpal does not add much unless you can afford the higher level ones. I cannot at this time. Frost is great because it "stuns" the monsters every 20 seconds for about 4 seconds. I use a lesser frost cause it is cheapest and does the stun. The added damage was so minimal when I parsed it, that it was ridiculous. But Frost does stun monsters with your initial hit and that buys people time to setup attacks. It is not useful in PvP, but I am PvE'er , so it meets my needs.
  • baalhashmalbaalhashmal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was using a Greater Vorpal for quite a while but just made the switch to a Greater Frost and it is fantastic.

Castle Never runs are much smoother now due to the stun the Frost Enchantment provides. While 4 seconds may not seem as much, assuming you have a competent Control Wizard in the party, most enemies won't manage to get brutal hits on your party members--Red Wizards, Flaming Skeletons, and such. It's funny watching them rev up a fire blast and get nullified by an at-will strike.

Yes, my heals aren't as strong as they were, but I've realized that over time, mitigating damage through Divine Armor/Astral Shield and providing buffs/de-buffs have helped more than, dare I say, over-healing.

Cleric: Marquis Elmdore - Current Main <3
    Wizard: Iamblichus
    Fighter: Anna the Titan
    Barbarian: Anann Valkyrja
    Ranger: Minerva Cory'phaia
    Warlock: Suri Coralyne Reid

Guild: She Looked Level 18.
    Alliance: Imperium
    edited June 2014
    I love my DC's Frost enchant but don't PvP on her either.

Was it Kaelac who phrased it as "Holy Avenger is a trap"? Unfortunate, because I can see people wanting to use it as a roleplay enchant. I have a normal Holy Avenger which I have slotted in my GF's sword because it looks cool and all he does is stand around praying and looking pretty at the moment anyway.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• xira4xira4 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Holy Avenger SUCKS, its effect is multiplicative not additive.
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    GPF failed as a utility enchant in OPvP, however it still shines in domination and GG pvp for its debuff + dismount ability. I still remember in last week before i left the game i was chased by a rogue in OPvP. My Briatwine and GPF triggered his <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rooting active bonus so much till i was rooted more than 10 times without serious fighting back. Try not to use dot enchant and passive damaging skill in OPvP, unless you sure he didn't have a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as active companion.

Vorpal is expensive but if you can afford it, it is the best weapon enchant for multi-purpose (PVE + PVP) in any place, anywhere. GPF lies behind vorpal due to the rooting effect from <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> active bonus.
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the further input - I am sad that a Rank 10 Holy Avenger enchant is so poor for a Cleric of a Battle God.

I sold my Rank 8 Frost enchant. Might have been better sticking with it...

~
    edited June 2014
    By the way, what is OPvP?
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    By the way, what is OPvP?

Open PvP. Once marked for PvP, you can leave the "zone" and run around IWD fighting each other.
    I aim to misbehave
    edited June 2014
    Ah, thanks - not started that yet
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ah, thanks - not started that yet

its even more painful for a DC, then dom matches =P... I dont fight open world pvp, other then do my weekly , thats all I do with my DC, if I see someone fighting , I will heal my side guy and move on.. it will take me on average 15 years to complete iwd pvp =P..
    edited June 2014
    In normal Arena PvP I have 45 Double Kills and 6 Triple Kills. I got the final "Execute an Enemy" today for the seventh achievement for the Artifact Seal for a Guardian Banner.

God knows how I am going to get it up to level 100, though - that's a LOT of Black Opals and Blood Gems - and I've been saving the AD for other things.

~.~
    edited June 2014
    Don't use those stones. You can get a match bonus for an artifact when you use pretty much anything else for refining it.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• erezwhiteerezwhite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I personally used Vorp and Frost for PVE. now I'm running with Feytouched in PVP and loving every second of it. FT with SB / glow is god!
    edited June 2014
    Don't use those stones. You can get a match bonus for an artifact when you use pretty much anything else for refining it.

Well, I have a Lantern of Revelation from the Main Quest line, the Blood Skull from my Glory and the Defender's Banner from my special seal for completing the 7th achievement in the PvP campaign.

Now I just need to win 100 matches, get 75 Double kills and however many Triple Kills - THAT is going to take a while.

I'd also like my other 2 level 60s to get enough achievements for the Black Opal, as it is not character-bound, so I can send it to my Main.

Yet...

~
  • theosymphanytheosymphany Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Like becky said, it's actually a lot more time consuming working for that black opal for refinement points than farming (unless you're wanting to get those achievements anyway). You can get 10000 refinement points running through Tower of Celadine 7-8 times, takes maybe an hour. 5 skill nodes plus enchant drops plus a shard (1050 each) usually nets 10k RP+ and a chance to get the blink dog (40k+ on AH). And no, don't buy the key, just pick it up each day and do a marathon back to back one day, especially during professions hour.
    Kaelac Symphony LaggyGamerz Community
    Guild and guide info

Module 4 Comprehensive DC guide |Module 4 MoF CW Handbook |New! Scourge Warlock Guide| NW Numbers and Mechanics guide |Crit, Power and DPS guide | Dungeon Delving guide and more
    edited June 2014
    Like becky said, it's actually a lot more time consuming working for that black opal for refinement points than farming (unless you're wanting to get those achievements anyway). You can get 10000 refinement points running through Tower of Celadine 7-8 times, takes maybe an hour. 5 skill nodes plus enchant drops plus a shard (1050 each) usually nets 10k RP+ and a chance to get the blink dog (40k+ on AH). And no, don't buy the key, just pick it up each day and do a marathon back to back one day, especially during professions hour.

Not to mention Marks from the dread ring give 3750 a piece for the right artifact.
    edited June 2014
    Plus all enchants, runes, shards, and marks of X (except potency) can crit. Refinement gems cannot.

I use refinement gems solely for ranking up weapon enchantments that it's expensive (vorpal/bilethorn) or impossible (PF) to feed with matching items. Use on artifacts only if you've got nowhere better to put them.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited June 2014
    You can get 10000 refinement points running through Tower of Celadine 7-8 times, takes maybe an hour.

Is Tower of Celadine in Sharandar or Icewind Dale, as I have not started either yet?

I wanted to finish off all the main quests first and also run through all the Epic dungeons a few times. But as I am not refining any enchants or runes beyond level 7 (they are not cost-effective for the Marks etc), I can feed them to my Artifacts. And there is no real need to give enchanted gear to a Companion, except an Ioun Stone for PvE. I recently realised that for PvP it is better to refine my Artifacts. Duh! At least they count towards Gear Score...

~
    edited June 2014
    Tower of Celadaine is a repeatable lair in the final area to unlock in Sharandar, so even after starting that campaign you can't access it for a few weeks. However, you can access Gnarlroot Cave which is just as good for getting rank 4s and a shard, but not quite as nice a loot table in the final chest.

You really do want to start the Dread and Sharandar campaigns as soon as possible because you can quickly obtain a few boons which will definitely help you, both with PvP and epic dungeons.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• goldroger007goldroger007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have few question about enchantments, mainly weapon enchantments.Im a dps DC i can manage to get top kills on pvp, random vs random ofc.

all question are related to pvp.
    -Bronzewood would work for my dps build? is there some1 who have tested it on a dc in module3?
    -Does terror/plaguefire stack with HP? which is better for a dc a terror or plaguefire.
    -u get vorpal bonus when u heal? like increased healing on a crit?
    -which will u go for dps dc? vorpal,bronzewood,terror or plaguefire?