test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thayan Book of the Dead Artifact will be available on the Zen Market.

Comments

• noerqnoerq Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Uhm, look at it that way:

Purple variant was about 4.5 - 5.5mil AD on the auction house.
    green variante is 6k ZEN which is 6x500k = 3mil AD.

Why the rant? Don't look at it from a real life money perspective, look at it in terms of AD.
  • alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited June 2014
    yea look at AD the AD/zen exchange is almost inexisten the promotions so called promotion last 2 days prob it gonna take 5 days to take 6k add unless u throw 60 euro so no isnt normal is insane and you gonna need and Tree that makes AD or a chicken that lays AD
    edited June 2014
    yea look at AD the AD/zen exchange is almost inexisten the promotions so called promotion last 2 days prob it gonna take 5 days to take 6k add unless u throw 60 euro so no isnt normal is insane and you gonna need and Tree that makes AD or a chicken that lays AD

While it took me 3 attempts to understand what you wrote (punctuation maybe?), I don't get your point. Before the book was available in ZEN store, it was about 4.5 to 5.5mil on the auction house (epic quality). Did you rant about that too? Because if you didn't, you don't have a point at all. If you did, I don't get what's your problem. The book is extremely strong and thus expensive. So what? You don't have it so you're upset?

Making it available for about 3mil AD in a lower quality is absolutely fair when you keep in mind the pricing of the epic variant.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Threads and posts upon threads and posts about RNG and how there should be a way to obtain items without dependence on RNG.
    And now we have a lockbox artifact, about 2 mil cheaper than AH (yes i know it is green and yet green to purple can be obtained fairly easy in icewind with all the enchants dropping).
    And now it's Bad too ?!
    Everyone was given free artifacts to whole account (the class ones), there are the PvP artifacts, the first free artifact, and also the regular artifacts are dirt cheap.
    No shortage to fill artifact slots, and with a good build/stat variety, so this one is vanity / collection or really someone that likes the stat/active.

Don't want it don't buy it, simple as that. I'm not going too, don't think it is worth it, others may think it does.
    Thats how the market and pricing works... somehow I'm sure cryptic have the numbers of how many they sell of each item and who has how much AD.

And for the $ comparison, assume you play wildstar for a year and get the artifact for free... let me help you with the math 60$+12*$15 = $240

hmmm, i'll rather be Offered to buy an artifact and pass than pay 240$ and be given it....

Seems to me people forgot to have fun while playing a game, have a laugh with friends, guildies...
    Not an arms race during the cold war... the fate of the human race is not hanging on this artifact.
  • jpfm101jpfm101 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think that my definition of micro-transactions is a bit different from PWE's.....
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Whats with all the arguing about the Thayan book price , this thread is supposed to be about what other lockbox items we would like to see in the zen store .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • bimlobickybimlobicky Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Iambecks: that's the whole point. we don't want to see ANY more lockbox items for sale if they are gonna cost 60 frickin frackin dollars.
    edited June 2014
    bimlobicky wrote: »
    Anyone who sees this as anything other than a money grab need to have their intellect questioned. 60 dollars? really?

Iambecks: that's the whole point. we don't want to see ANY more lockbox items for sale if they are gonna cost 60 frickin frackin dollars.

I could reply with "anyone who sees this anything other than a good option to get a 4.5 to 5.5mil AD artifact for ~3mil AD need to have their intellect questioned.", but I better don't.
  • radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited June 2014
    noerq wrote: »
    Why the rant? Don't look at it from a real life money perspective, look at it in terms of AD.

That is exactly what they want you to think. The AD has done its job.

I am not saying the artifact is priced too high. I am pretty sure PWE/Cryptic set that price after taking the AH price into consideration. This is actually a smart move by them IMHO as it serves a few purposes.

1. It made the artifact available to players who did not get one after opening lots of boxes due to bad RNG karma
    2. It made the artifact available to players who do not/refused to spend money/AD on keys to take a chance
    3. Instead of having player-to-player transaction in the AH for the artifact where PWE/Cryptic does not earn a single cent, putting the artifact in Zen market allows the company to earn from players directly. I would be unhappy if I am one of the artifact sellers in AH as my business is being taken away from me (although for only 2 days :D)

Whether is it worth the risk of lowering key sales, only PWE/Cryptic has the figures to answer that question. And by the fact that they are starting to sell lock boxes items in Zen market, my guess is yes.

So predicting what will be on sale from lock boxes in the Zen market in future, my guess is something that is in high demand my players and is selling at a high price in AH.

It is a cash grab, but one that is well done as it benefits the company and certain players. Those players who think that $60 is not worth it don't have to get it. No harm done. And as someone mentioned earlier, at this price point, I do not think there is a fear of flooding the game with tons of Thayan artifact.

As for me, the two things I would consider buying is the Pseudodragon and the T bar jackpot (need more C. wardzzz!), depending on the prices of course. :D
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Here's how I see the logic: Cryptic is trying to build value in the artifact. It's far too pricy for my tastes consider my perspective of the value. However, if they were to sell it at 2000z how would the people who won in it in a lockbox real about that (regardless if it were a green-level or not)?

I suspect it's not as much about selling this artifact in the Zen market as it is persuading people of the *value* of the lockbox version; the Purple Lockbox version is of much *higher* value, is rarer and therefore you (general you, of course) should spend a LOT of Astral Diamonds to get the purple version (adding value to AD, which is needed to help deplete the mass influx of them recently).

Furthermore it helps influence the *value* of lockbox prizes and the lockboxes themselves by extension.

I'm not saying this is what it does, I am saying it's my theory that this may be one of the intents of Cryptic by selling it this way at this price. If people actually do buy the thing from the Zen Market then that's just icing on the cake.

And in the end: I see nothing wrong with this. it's a smart move by the PR folks (or whomever comes up with these ideas and set pricing, etcetera).
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    The funny thing about that^ is, the current value of the Thayan artifact was much higher than 6000zen (before the sale obviously).

It was at 9000-10000zen.

People just see 6000zen in the zen store and they get scared and panic because they have nowhere near 6000zen (with their astral diamonds) and it is natural. They can't afford it and they are affected emotionally. But when you look at it with perspective, this is actually cheaper, even considering it is green.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    The funny thing about that^ is, the current value of the Thayan artifact was much higher than 6000zen (before the sale obviously).

It was at 9000-10000zen.

People just see 6000zen in the zen store and they get scared and panic because they have nowhere near 6000zen (with their astral diamonds) and it is natural. They can't afford it and they are affected emotionally. But when you look at it with perspective, this is actually cheaper, even considering it is green.
    . . . Indeed, the ones before were/are purple. These here are green (non-refined). I do like the book - just not for my main... Mystra would smite me and Kelemvor would torture my soul!

. . . I'll most likely just end up getting one from a locked box or saving AD up for a purple one some long time down the road for my "necromancer" or my "thayan" wizard(s). If it was a bit cheaper, I might buy a green one but I can see why it's priced how it is, else it would devalue the purple ones. Who knows what I'll do... I am a collector.. so I may end up giving in to a green one if I can make the AD before its over, which I doubt.

. . . 6,000 Zen at 500 AD per is only 3,000,000 AD. That's really not that bad for such an item. For me however, I rarely ever get over 500,000 AD before I spend it all, lol. :P
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . Indeed, the ones before were/are purple. These here are green (non-refined). I do like the book - just not for my main... Mystra would smite me and Kelemvor would torture my soul!

. . . I'll most likely just end up getting one from a locked box or saving AD up for a purple one some long time down the road for my "necromancer" or my "thayan" wizard(s). If it was a bit cheaper, I might buy a green one but I can see why it's priced how it is, else it would devalue the purple ones. Who knows what I'll do... I am a collector.. so I may end up giving in to a green one if I can make the AD before its over, which I doubt.

. . . 6,000 Zen at 500 AD per is only 3,000,000 AD. That's really not that bad for such an item. For me however, I rarely ever get over 500,000 AD before I spend it all, lol. :P

exactly what he said!
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was actually going to buy one for my CW until I noticed the price... $60? If it was $30, even $40, I might have forked over the money, but I cannot afford $60... so much for the book of the dead. :(
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bimlobicky wrote: »

I don't want to see lockbox items for sale, just on principle - if you're going to have stuff available as a lottery/gamble in the boxes, it shouldn't ever be just sold at a later time... it sabotages the entire "risk the lottery for Item X" concept. You risk having people look at the lockboxes and think "should I even bother, or will that thing just be sold later, punishing me for blowing a pile of keys to try to get it now?"

----
    edited June 2014
    I was actually going to buy one for my CW until I noticed the price... $60? If it was $30, even $40, I might have forked over the money, but I cannot afford $60... so much for the book of the dead. :(

I'm sorry to hear that, but that 6000zen price tag is actually much cheaper than what you would've paid for a few days ago.

Before this sale, it would've cost you north of 9000zen to get a thayan artifact.

So think of it as you are 3000zen closer to getting that artifact
  • gimpocalypsegimpocalypse Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You all did read the... "two days" .... part right?

...and the "LEAVES the market forever" part too?

[hope you read LEAVES, thanks for the potions & Vanguard pack by the way]

Edit: may have mistaken getting Storm Rider companion with this code from this as it may have come from a Zen transfer instead.
    Been looking forward to upgrading my Perfect Sarcasm font, but due to recent changes it seems I will need to grind the Nine Hells for my Pure Sarcasm font... ironic isn't it?
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    as long as zen is going for 500 per. I dont care what they put in the zen market. Not getting anything for a while.
    edited June 2014
    as long as zen is going for 500 per. I dont care what they put in the zen market. Not getting anything for a while.

Well to be honest, the players who bought zen to get AD don't care for your diamonds at the moment. They have lots of other sellers to get diamonds from.

Cryptic meanwhile, won't care for you transferring your diamonds into zen since they don't get a cut out of it. So they don't care too much either.

I mean really "Not getting anything for a while", Cryptic and the other players might as well have a collective honey badger meme as a response.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cryptic meanwhile, won't care for you transferring your diamonds into zen since they don't get a cut out of it. So they don't care too much either.

That zen must come from somewhere, ie paying customers. I think they prefer that than ad seller sites.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    That zen must come from somewhere, ie paying customers. I think they prefer that than ad seller sites.

This is true.

If you're trading Diamonds for Zen, it means someone purchased Zen in the first place, which is a transaction they DEFINITELY get a cut of.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm sorry to hear that, but that 6000zen price tag is actually much cheaper than what you would've paid for a few days ago.

Not 100% true

Remeber you cna gambe and get it on the 1st try if lucky.

The fact of the matter is this is Cryptic setting a price for an item which is the officials saying this is what we think it is worth. Right now you cannmot even subsidize a cash purchase of the item with earned AD in game due to the ZAX being dry. People could've possibly mad a price they are comfortable with themselves this way, buy some zen and the rest with AD.

When the company sets a (outrageous) cash price it is going to set off a different reaction than when a player on the AH does.

The AH fluctuates and you have the hope of getting it for cheaper. You can also technically negotiate and haggle with people using the auction house through mail or/tells. There are more options for a happy customer/proprieter interaction through the Ah than the zen store.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you go by drop rate and cost to averagely get it, it's not so bad to guarantee getting it even though you miss out on everything else in lockboxes. If you go by the cost of what it is, a single virtual item at level 1 then the cost is outrageous. But that's why I dislike lockboxes so much as my idea of one would be one where after spending a decent amount, you'll have a decent change of getting something now instead of what it is now where you spend a small amount and get nothing of value, or spend a complete fortune just to get what you want unless you're one of the very lucky people out there.
    edited June 2014
    frishter wrote: »

Read my first sentence of my reply to his post and reread his original post. I think you aren't getting the conversation going on there.
    Not 100% true

Remeber you cna gambe and get it on the 1st try if lucky.

The fact of the matter is this is Cryptic setting a price for an item which is the officials saying this is what we think it is worth. Right now you cannmot even subsidize a cash purchase of the item with earned AD in game due to the ZAX being dry. People could've possibly mad a price they are comfortable with themselves this way, buy some zen and the rest with AD.

When the company sets a (outrageous) cash price it is going to set off a different reaction than when a player on the AH does.

The AH fluctuates and you have the hope of getting it for cheaper. You can also technically negotiate and haggle with people using the auction house through mail or/tells. There are more options for a happy customer/proprieter interaction through the Ah than the zen store.

Incorrect.

The Zen store/AH with set prices on average provide a better trading avenue (thus happier customers). If you've seen trade chat, its mostly people trying to scam or take advantage of others. But enough of that tangent.

If Cryptic decides to set the price of an item a little cheaper than what the current market value of it is, then so be it. I'm just saying a smart person who did the math would realize that the 6000zen green artifact on the zen store is much cheaper than its 9000-10000zen purple artifact counterpart that was being sold on the AH.

I understand it will set off some emotional reactions hence, I posted something referring to that earlier in this thread. Some people are horrified about a 6000zen pricetag. It is understandable. To them, 1mil diamonds is a lot of money, 3mil is the moon. They see something with a 6000zen pricetag and they get scared. I've gotten past that financial situation (in-game) and have observed Neverwinter's economy for a year now and thus have perspective. Just trying to share that perspective with others.
  • damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    heh,

Wow... its really up there isn't it. Heh and its green. Its actually a really good artifact. But wow... 60 bucks for one, that may be a tad overpriced hehe.

Yes, its really not worth it when I could just use my class artifacts anyway lol.
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    its a free to PLAY and not free to take everything/anywhere and other Cryptic need to make money, in fact the company (any company) usually do favors for their consumers! they have employees, wages, rents, taxes, etc. simple! just think! and if u not agree simple again dont buy! :-)
    edited June 2014
    hquadros wrote: »
    its a free to PLAY and not free to take everything/anywhere and other Cryptic need to make money, in fact the company (any company) usually do favors for their consumers! they have employees, wages, rents, taxes, etc. simple! just think! and if u not agree simple again dont buy! :-)

Really? You are kidding right? A company that wants to make money who would have thought that? - crazy!

You are not telling us anything we don't know the point is the fact its stupid overpriced - who on earth would pay 60$ or more for an artifact that isn't even that great not to mention its easy now to get 3 good artifacts anyway, unless they didn't know better?
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Read my first sentence of my reply to his post and reread his original post. I think you aren't getting the conversation going on there.

Incorrect.

The Zen store/AH with set prices on average provide a better trading avenue (thus happier customers). If you've seen trade chat, its mostly people trying to scam or take advantage of others. But enough of that tangent.

If Cryptic decides to set the price of an item a little cheaper than what the current market value of it is, then so be it. I'm just saying a smart person who did the math would realize that the 6000zen green artifact on the zen store is much cheaper than its 9000-10000zen purple artifact counterpart that was being sold on the AH.

I understand it will set off some emotional reactions hence, I posted something referring to that earlier in this thread. Some people are horrified about a 6000zen pricetag. It is understandable. To them, 1mil diamonds is a lot of money, 3mil is the moon. They see something with a 6000zen pricetag and they get scared. I've gotten past that financial situation (in-game) and have observed Neverwinter's economy for a year now and thus have perspective. Just trying to share that perspective with others.

I am not trying to complain, I really hate to. I was just stating that $60 is a bit out of my price range for anything. I have spent over that amount on NW as I support games I enjoy, but it is an amount I have spent over time. As far as AD, I cannot seem to earn enough to get that lovely spider in the store. Been trying for almost a year :D but I digress. I was just hoping it would be cheaper. (At least it was cheaper than the last)
    edited June 2014
    I am not trying to complain, I really hate to. I was just stating that $60 is a bit out of my price range for anything. I have spent over that amount on NW as I support games I enjoy, but it is an amount I have spent over time. As far as AD, I cannot seem to earn enough to get that lovely spider in the store. Been trying for almost a year :D but I digress. I was just hoping it would be cheaper. (At least it was cheaper than the last)

I wasn't referring to you in that post celticgamer
    edited June 2014
    Its nothing to do with the money. I am reasonably sure I've spent probably 1k+ on this game just for character services, pets, dyes, fashion outfits etc. Its simply the price vs obtainability of other equivalent items in game.

Honestly if you buy this - you are simply getting taken advantage of by cryptic. As I said the artifact is easily replaced now. Maybe BEFORE class artifacts it was different... but well for many class the GWF artifact is the best active choice anyway. And for PvP - skull -.-

I have on my GWF 9 artifacts to pick from now - the 3 I had BEFORE mod3 and the 6 I got after from having 1 of every class. As does my DC, CW etc. So again why would anyone pay 60$ for a basically useless artifact anyway, and added to that its not even epic lol.
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR