test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hidden Code Feedback

fdruid76fdruid76 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited July 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
The whole hidden code thing is ruined, now everybody knows about them and they will be gone in minutes.

I saw the post this morning, but I didn't see the code. As I was away from my gaming PC where I have ARC installed, I couldn't possibly have entered the code in time.

There needs to be another way to enter promo codes from a web interface other than ARC's client.
Post edited by fdruid76 on

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Moved to it's own thread to allow the constructive discussion and conveyance of feedback for the Hidden Code promotions.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Perhaps the devs could set aside a certain number of codes each hour, and release them in batches, so everyone in different time zones/on different schedules could get a shot.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Perhaps the devs could set aside a certain number of codes each hour, and release them in batches, so everyone in different time zones/on different schedules could get a shot.
    That sounds awesome!
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    That sounds awesome!

And since it's usually a few days between the updates on the main page, maybe even spread out said codes over the course of those days...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It would be very nice if they weren't all gone by the time North American 9-5ers can get to their gaming computers.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It would be very nice if they weren't all gone by the time North American 9-5ers can get to their gaming computers.

^^^ THIS. Absolutely. It seems like everytime there is some kind of key giveaway it happens when I am at work and it's always gone within several minutes.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't think the hidden code promo is ruined, but that's because I think it is a crappy promo idea in the first place. I really don't like these secret promotions to begin with and can't stand them when they appear to be limited to just a few hundred redemption's. The codes are burned well before I get a chance to even see that it is happening because, you know...JOBS and stuff.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Somehow I was able to redeem today's code several hours after spotting it, but yes, a better method of distributing these would be kinder on people with schedules/etc.

Also, the ability to redeem the new codes via a webpage (like the old ones could be) would help alleviate the issue
  • Options
    raenter1raenter1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Did anyone else redeem it but then not get anything? I redeemed it this afternoon, but when I went to the reward agent there wasn't anything there. It said it was accepted.
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's a title and some consumables, and digitally distributed. Why they limit it to a fixed number instead of a fixed period over the weekend is beyond me.
  • Options
    kirkcaldykirkcaldy Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    raenter1 wrote: »
    Did anyone else redeem it but then not get anything? I redeemed it this afternoon, but when I went to the reward agent there wasn't anything there. It said it was accepted.

Same thing here. I found the code and entered it in Arc, early yesterday.
    It said it was accepted, but still don't have any mail, or anything available at the reward agent.
    Have just checked again and still nothing available. ?

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    During the live stream today they did say they will not be telling people when there will be hidden codes anymore in the future.

I think they just wanted to let people know that there are hidden codes and will be in the future so keep an eye out. Now that they have let us know that those promotions exist it will be on us to find them when they do show up because they will not be an every blog post event. :)
  • Options
    thetrueazurethetrueazure Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I woke up this morning and, surprise surprise, they codes are all gone. :(

It seems like one must be very much on the ball getting these.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Just to let you guys know the article was posted at 10 AM PDT and I claimed mine at 1 PM PDT so even with notice that there were hidden codes it lasted at least a few hours. Without notice in the future I don't think there will be any reason to complain.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Just to let you guys know the article was posted at 10 AM PDT and I claimed mine at 1 PM PDT so even with notice that there were hidden codes it lasted at least a few hours. Without notice in the future I don't think there will be any reason to complain.

Have you actually received anything ingame yet ?

• Options
    gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was reading this morning about it and saw that there would be one in the blog, but I couldn't find a link to the blog. I don't mind really, but if there's a blog, I'd like to know where it is- you know to follow along on other things too. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    kirkcaldy wrote: »
    Have you actually received anything ingame yet ?

Yes I did. However it was the same rewards as the first hidden code event. This means you would not get the notification for the title or achievement.

Check the rewards claims agent. I am stingy with taking things out of these so it is hard for me to see exactly what was added but it may either be a Vanguard Pack or Adventurer's Help Pack.

EDIT - Scratch that. I got a message from Sgt. Knox. It was a NW Vanguard P{ack.
    I was reading this morning about it and saw that there would be one in the blog, but I couldn't find a link to the blog. I don't mind really, but if there's a blog, I'd like to know where it is- you know to follow along on other things too. :)

Erm...it's the newest blog on the front page. That part should not have been hard to follow and even had a notice at the bottom of the page that there was a hidden code in the blog.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Every time you start the game client, check the news posts that are shown on the launcher tab.
    Read through the post and mouse over any highlighted or strange looking words.
    Read everything they post, this is the way to find the code. :)

• Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I never found out the code XD where was it? I got the email and went to the blog, but didn't see anything.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I never found out the code XD where was it? I got the email and went to the blog, but didn't see anything.

Don't suppose it matters now to tell.
    In the post for the Artifact there was the word "leaves".
    When you moused over it you got the blurb for the code.

• Options
    brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited June 2014
    Erm...it's the newest blog on the front page. That part should not have been hard to follow and even had a notice at the bottom of the page that there was a hidden code in the blog.
    To be honest, I was looking for the word Blog in the link bar at the top. Realized later it was just a news post.
  • Options
    onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't have a problem with how the hidden code is administered. It is not game breaking if you do not get it. It sounds like we were in the marketing phase of it. Now that they will not tell you when they are doing it, there should be fewer people accepting them.

This type of limited time, secret code is exactly the style of promotion that millenials love. A millennial will figure out how to get it, regardless the hurdles. If I were ARC, I would not change it at all...provided that is the target market.

I did find it difficult to know where to redeem the code. But I was persistent and figured it out. The code last week worked immediately. The code this week said it was accepted but I did not get the item. Mayhaps I need to see Sgt Knox first. I will try that when the servers stop crapping out on me.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My ARC Client kept telling me the code was formatted wrong, that it requires <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> - oh well, the reward freebies are nice, but not nice enough to complain about. :) And it's obvious what's going on - it's a way to get more people reading the news posts past the Headline Announcements. Frankly: It's genius idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    kirkcaldy wrote: »
    Same thing here. I found the code and entered it in Arc, early yesterday.
    It said it was accepted, but still don't have any mail, or anything available at the reward agent.
    Have just checked again and still nothing available. ?

. . . Check your titles and achievements for "Experienced Evoker" and look in the Reward Claims Agent for either a Defensive or Offensive Supply Pack (I don't remember which one it gave). You'll also get an in game mail telling you to go check the Claims Agent for your supply pack. Those are the three things this latest one gave, along with an entry for a future drawing for a CTA item. The drawing winners haven't been announced yet.

. . . If you've already attained the title and achievement, you should still have a potion pack from it in the Agent. Also, if you are sure you haven't redeemed such a title before, you'll need to stay logged in until you see the title and achievement pop-up. In rare cases, it can take up to 10 minutes for it to go through. You'll need to log in each character for them to get the title/achievement update.
  • Options
    gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Oh lol. I didn't realize that was what they called a blog. I thought those were announcements or game news. Thanks Ambisinisterr and Kirkcaldy, next time, I'll know.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Oh lol. I didn't realize that was what they called a blog. I thought those were announcements or game news. Thanks Ambisinisterr and Kirkcaldy, next time, I'll know.
    . . . Ah, yeah. It's probably due to the news system being used that refers to articles as blogs in the posting process. Basically, consider any non-patch notes on the news web site as Blogs. :)
  • Options
    fdruid76fdruid76 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    xelliz wrote: »
    I don't think the hidden code promo is ruined, but that's because I think it is a crappy promo idea in the first place. I really don't like these secret promotions to begin with and can't stand them when they appear to be limited to just a few hundred redemption's. The codes are burned well before I get a chance to even see that it is happening because, you know...JOBS and stuff.

This is my main complaint. The idea of them being hidden is flawed, because, well, if everybody knows there'll be a hidden code in a 100 word text, it's highlighted, and the page even says there's a hidden code, it's not hard to find. And once it's discovered, it's as good as if it was posted as a banner.

Then yeah, there's the thing of it being claimed too fast. I know it's supposed to be fair that there's a limited number of codes, as in any other promos. But being the official page, these went out in a blink.

I do think PerfectWorld likes the fact that I spend most of my day working to make money, after all, that's how I pay for Zen. So it wouldn't be bad if they made these codes available for most people in a way that they're stretched across a larger time allotment.
  • Options
    damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Or for that matter anyone who wasn't waiting when it was released :p I was in bed asleep when it was, like most Australians/people in that time zone and we missed out too you know - why does it always have to be Americans first? XD

In any case the reward isn't anything major I know or anything I actually need, but really why cryptic made a huge deal about what turned out to be a let down for many people and probably caused more frustration on the whole, I have no clue - I logged in to game in the morning and a friend gave me a code for it they'd kept for me but as has been, said the window to redeem that code was tiny. So even IF you had a code, you also had to enter it super fast as well.
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • Options
    ecd13moonsagoecd13moonsago Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I think if you redeemed the first hidden code you didn't get anything for redeeming the second hidden code, since it was the same title (Experienced Evoker) and the Vanguard Pack for both codes.
    13moonsago - Half Elf - Divine Oracle DC
    Serena Moonshadow - Wood Elf - Stormwarden HR
    Lanfear - Moon Elf - Spellstorm Mage CW
    Allana - Halfling - Iron Vanguard GWF
    Beka Cooper - Moon Elf - Master Infiltrator TR
  • Options
    josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I guess that's one way to encourage people to read the posts. Not sure I'll be bothered hunting for any hidden codes though, unless they start giving away artifacts or purples (which would be odd)!
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!