test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Weekly" Sales... ?

beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Once again, Thursday has rolled around and I have eagerly refreshed the news and paged through my Gateway Zen shop looking for what's on sale, and come up with squat. It's not necessarily too late for something new to be posted, but they'd usually put the new stuff on sale at the same time as removing the sale prices from last week, and those were disabled hours ago. Therefore, I am not hopeful.

When Mod 3 launched, we had two sale-less weeks in a row. The last two weeks looked like we might be getting weekly sales back, but now what are we supposed to think? Sales will be nearly as random and rare as those elusive coupon drops?

I don't buy luxury items if they're not not discounted in some way or really inexpensive to start with, and everything pertaining to a game is a luxury item. So not running predictable regular sales is a really good way to inspire me to tighten my purse strings. I wouldn't necessarily buy something every week, but I'd always look.

It's quite possible that customers who will buy stuff full price the second they decide they want it provide a more solid rationale for not putting things on sale than the lost business from consumers like me could ever compensate. But running sales irregularly is not going to inspire me to change my spending habits, other than to buy things even less frequently if I don't see deals that appeal to me.

Just one player's opinion.

By the way, I have had coupon drops 4 or 5 times, always for something in the big-ticket mount and companion categories, and never featuring a large enough discount to convince me that I must immediately buy something that I hadn't even been considering prior to picking up the coupon. I know they're random, but at the rate I'm going it might be months before I see a coupon I'd be willing to actually take advantage of.
Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    arcanaxearcanaxe Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well at least you got coupons already, been playing everyday since Mod3 came out with my DC, still haven't gotten one coupon. I've gotten my main hand, my bracers, the yeti, the beholder artifact, but no coupon. Its just very strange how that works.
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I got a coupon for a mount yesterday. Tho it'd have to coincide with a Weekly Sale for me to buy a good one.
    Of course if the sales don't change...
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You're lucky,

All I ever get for coupon drops are dyes and irrelevent things like fashions that I never use anyway. I think the only "fashion" I ever used was the Yeti Hunter one.

Mounts I might consider if I got one.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    obsiddia wrote: »
    I got a coupon for a mount yesterday. Tho it'd have to coincide with a Weekly Sale for me to buy a good one.
    Of course if the sales don't change...

Says right on them that they can't be combined with other offers.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    arcanaxe wrote: »
    Well at least you got coupons already, been playing everyday since Mod3 came out with my DC, still haven't gotten one coupon. I've gotten my main hand, my bracers, the yeti, the beholder artifact, but no coupon. Its just very strange how that works.

I've gotten 1 MH, 1 bracers, 1 beholder artifact, 15% fashion items coupon and 15% fashion items coupon (yes, 2 times the same useless <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>). Also, I've gotten 1 coupon I can't remember from lvl up chest on my alt. Was waiting to get a discount to purchase 2 additional character slots, but gave up - the drop rate is extremely low.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Says right on them that they can't be combined with other offers.
    Drat. Can't play the game with reading glasses ;). Well, I guess I'll see if they ever have a good
    mount sale. Or splurge if they make cool dragon-ish mounts in the next module. 45 minutes to
    pick a mount when I didn't have a plan is too much pressure. Not the best way to make decisions.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I agree. The extremely short timer on coupons also puts me off using them at all, certainly for major purchases.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've only ever noticed getting one coupon, and it was already at less than 20 minutes left by the time I noticed it. I wonder how many I've had expire in my inventory without noticing they were ever there - There's no real notification that you've gotten one, and I don't check my inventory all that often. (I've got four bags on my main, and when they fill it's because it's time to feed my artifacts, which happens without ever going to my inventory. Makes it even less likely I'll use them, since I won't even know I have them lol.

But the lack of weekly sales over and over is disappointing. That you see every time you launch the game, and are usually much better than the way-too-rare coupons to begin with. You know what the only thing I'll buy when it's not on sale is, Cryptic? Preservation wards. Dye I may or may not buy if I need it, but that depends on the ZAX and the AH. If it's cheaper or I only need one bottle, nope.

P.S.: I'm still not buying Coal Wards. Not even with the BoP patch. Ten bucks, you're out of your mind. :D
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm sad that there's no weekly sale this week. I have gotten a coupon, but it wasn't really for anything I wanted, and I like to pounce on the really juicy sales - 25% off or more... 15% off, eh, I'm in no rush...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    The Coupons seem to be set up in a way to 'encourage' impulse purchases based on the 'OMG must buy now, it is cheap' principle. Unless you look for a specific mount, you might check if the item is also on the Auction House and compare the discounted price with the current auctioneering price, in some cases, you might get away with a cheaper price if you turn Zen to AD.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    arcanaxe wrote: »

I'll trade you - I've gotten one coupon on of the three daily toons I play and NONE of them have gotten any BI drops, yeti, artifact . . . . nothing. The coupon was for 15% off but I forget what item it was for. Count yourself very lucky my friend!
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think the sales/marketing team just has a major disconect when it comes to price point and how micro transactions work and the lack of consistent or useful sales reflects this. I honestly think if they see when an item goes on sale and there is a run on it it is more about the item being priced wrong in the first place than people wanting a sale.

Take bank slots for instance. I bought one on sale this weekend, but if the normal price was lower, I would have bought slots on every toon a very long time ago. I saw bank slots were on sale and i immediately bought zen. logged in and saw it was only the individual slots and while i was prepared to spend all my zen on this, i was so disappointed I did not buy any slots for several days. I see this like losing the fish off the hook. I would love more account wide bank slots, but at the current price point, it is not going to happen. and the only reason i bought the slot was because it is cheaper than a gboh, and the toon already has all his bags.

But it is this way all across the boards. If coalwards were 3 for 10 bucks, I would buy them as needed on my 11 toons, or if companion upgrades were 100k or 200k, i would not have a single green or white companion, probably would have purples all across all my toons. And given we are purchasing virtual stuff, i.e. there is not a limited resource that is being consumed, i do not see why they do not just change the pricing to make people want ot purchase more. Where does it hurt them to do this?

I
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I'm just curious, do most people here buy the zen store sales using their in-game astral diamonds?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm just curious, do most people here buy the zen store sales using their in-game astral diamonds?

No. If I want to buy something in the cash shop, I spend actual money.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think the sales/marketing team just has a major disconect when it comes to price point

6000 zen for a green Thayan book of the dead xD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »

I was wondering about that.

Holy smackies. I'd have considered it just for funsies if it was like $20.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    rarumbergerrarumberger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think the sales/marketing team just has a major disconect when it comes to price point and how micro transactions work and the lack of consistent or useful sales reflects this. I honestly think if they see when an item goes on sale and there is a run on it it is more about the item being priced wrong in the first place than people wanting a sale.

Take bank slots for instance. I bought one on sale this weekend, but if the normal price was lower, I would have bought slots on every toon a very long time ago. I saw bank slots were on sale and i immediately bought zen. logged in and saw it was only the individual slots and while i was prepared to spend all my zen on this, i was so disappointed I did not buy any slots for several days. I see this like losing the fish off the hook. I would love more account wide bank slots, but at the current price point, it is not going to happen. and the only reason i bought the slot was because it is cheaper than a gboh, and the toon already has all his bags.

But it is this way all across the boards. If coalwards were 3 for 10 bucks, I would buy them as needed on my 11 toons, or if companion upgrades were 100k or 200k, i would not have a single green or white companion, probably would have purples all across all my toons. And given we are purchasing virtual stuff, i.e. there is not a limited resource that is being consumed, i do not see why they do not just change the pricing to make people want ot purchase more. Where does it hurt them to do this?

I

This times 1000. Price points are completely out of touch with what sane people are willing to pay. The reason the vast majority of people use the AH to get the coal ward before was that the Zen market price is completely insane. At Zen prices, you're looking at spending $300 to get fully upgraded enchants on just one character - which is far more than a year's sub on non-F2P MMOs, which means no one who knows how to math would even consider it. That's so offensive I don't even know what else to say about it.

And upgrading companions? Who in their right mind would ever bother, when it costs less to get already upgraded companions?

Literally everything in this game that uses Zen or Diamonds should have its price sliced in half. I can pretty much guarantee that cutting prices in half would more than double the sales AND encourage player retention - so I really can't understand why they don't do it. It's not greed alone - if they were smart AND greedy everything would cost much less, to encourage you to buy more of it.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Same here , I wanted it but no way on this planet I'd spend $60 on it lmfao
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »

Holy.... I can buy purple Thayan book off the AH and upgrade it to legendary for less then that lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I just don't even...

Why would anyone buy that? Who are the people who will plunk down that kind of money for one item? Is it at least an account-wide unlock?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    Holy.... I can buy purple Thayan book off the AH and upgrade it to legendary for less then that lol.

Cheapest purple one right now worked out to $90 if converting from real money.

@person asking if account unlock
    I can't see it in Gateway. Lack of them on the AH indicates to me that it's BoP. If it's an account unlock that would be different, but I seriously doubt it.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Just checked it out - single purchase, BoE. The reason they're not turning up on the AH is because 6000 Zen is a stupid amount to spend just to turn around and sell. There's a known market for keys and coal wards - buying $60 worth of green artifact on speculation seems like a silly thing to do (though someone will).
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Cheapest purple one right now worked out to $90 if converting from real money.

Oh, it used to be 1.5-2 mil AD, seems like the last time I checked the AH was long ago :) Well, still it's a huge amount of money, but honestly, I expected even more when I saw the announcement.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I really would love to be a fly on the wall for their sales figures on this thing. I think the pricing is delusional, but if enough people actually do plunk down for it at that price, then I guess I'm just too much of a tightwad for my opinions to matter.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    oftheuniverseoftheuniverse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really would love to be a fly on the wall for their sales figures on this thing. I think the pricing is delusional, but if enough people actually do plunk down for it at that price, then I guess I'm just too much of a tightwad for my opinions to matter.

Honestly, it's sort of difficult to believe they even care about this game. From everything I've been reading, seeing with my own eyes, and the very few replies from the staff on important matters(the insane prices, the broken things, the disconnects, the classes such as the cleric and guardian fighter needing some love, etc.)... It's truly disappointing. Very saddening, but all I can do is watch it happen. This is an amazing game, but it seems like the fans are the only ones who actually care. I keep playing in hope that things will change, but things are looking a bit.... bleak.
  • Options
    germmaniacgermmaniac Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Honestly, it's sort of difficult to believe they even care about this game. From everything I've been reading, seeing with my own eyes, and the very few replies from the staff on important matters(the insane prices, the broken things, the disconnects, the classes such as the cleric and guardian fighter needing some love, etc.)... It's truly disappointing. Very saddening, but all I can do is watch it happen. This is an amazing game, but it seems like the fans are the only ones who actually care. I keep playing in hope that things will change, but things are looking a bit.... bleak.
    Yeah, this module has been truly disappointing for several reasons. And sales are one of them. Or the lack thereof. I bought zen during the sale prior to release of Mod3. I converted a few when ZAX reached max. But I dont think I actually bought anything much from the Zen store. I really hope for the sake of the game that others are buying. Cos I definitely cannot afford with the insane pricing and lack of any genuine sales. And the coupons don't count. I have one word for their coupons- lame.
  • Options
    nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This week features "weakly sales" instead: a grossly overpriced artifact that is almost as good as the free ones you get at lvl 17!
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I buy mostly with AD and not real money, and yes, the lack of sales is disappointing. It was something to look for every week.