test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Problem with NPC spawn visiblity

akweteakwete Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Hi! I'm trying to create an encounter where, upon defeating a mob, you talk to it for information. I currently have it so that the mob fights to submission and then disappears. Over his location, I've placed an identically customized NPC, but now the visibility option I'm looking for doesn't seem to be there. There's only 'Appear when>Immediately' and 'Appear When>This Objective in Progress', which makes him spawn straight away, while the encounter mob is still standing there.
How do I get 'Appear when>This Objective COMPLETE' back in the options?

I feel I should add that looked through the forums, Google and wiki and I've asked on the foundry channel but I'm coming up blank. My Encounter mob is tied to a 'defeat the enemy' objective in the story mode, and my NPC is tied to a 'Dialogue' objective. I've seen other questions on here about similar issues, but the answer has always been that the NPC in question needs to be tied to a story objective. Mine already is.

*Edit* Solved! Although I've tried replacing the NPC before without result, this time I replaced it with a different costume. I makes no sense to me as to why that worked, but it did. I still don't know what was going wrong before, but it turns out if I just chance my costumes I can do it, so problem solved. Thanks anyway! If an mod could delete this, that would be spiffy, thanks!
Post edited by akwete on

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If a contact is in your storyboard (making it a goal requirement to progress) then these are the only choices you get. If that contact NPC is not in the storyboard then all the other appearance options can be used.
  • akweteakwete Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for answering ^_^! Though it is solved now. Both the previous non-working NPC and the new on that does work were contacts in the Storyboard, but for some reason the former was ALWAYS visible, regardless of whether I had it set to 'objective in progress' or not. I've done everything the same this time, except the costume, and it works. Go figure, huh? I spent hours banging my head against the keyboard for that! But I'm costume had nothing to do with it.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    akwete wrote: »
    Thanks for answering ^_^! Though it is solved now. Both the previous non-working NPC and the new on that does work were contacts in the Storyboard, but for some reason the former was ALWAYS visible, regardless of whether I had it set to 'objective in progress' or not. I've done everything the same this time, except the costume, and it works. Go figure, huh? I spent hours banging my head against the keyboard for that! But I'm costume had nothing to do with it.

Welcome to my world! Happy to know you have it worked out (mysteriously or not). :)
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Any detail/npc that is part of a storyboard will override any previous Appear When settings and appear as soon as that story objective becomes in progress.
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I was actually having a similar issue today as well. Though for me the more annoying part is the overrides on the DISAPPEAR. I wanted an NPC to disappear after an objective had been completed, but because I'd linked that NPC to an earlier objective, I could only have her disappear right after or never. I THINK I have worked it out by just making a copy, & having the first disappear after the objective is complete, & the copy appear at the same moment. But I have to do some more tests, because it seems like it's bugging, and some of my NPCs are not disappearing when they are supposed to (meaning when I have actually SET them to).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]