test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bringing Life Back to PvP in Neverwinter.

juicebox87juicebox87 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
If you are like me and was super excited to see Icewind Dale updates on the way, your love for this content probably goes as far back to the earlier Icewind Dale I & II games for PC. Some of the best in the series they pushed the limits of Wizards of the Coast gameplay and made the series better with each game. Then came Neverwinter Nights, and amazing game with open gameplay online through built modules that allowed players from anywhere to connect and fight in private servers. One thing I remember was the battles I fought against other players in furious combat between each other in open world, and arenas. With everything from DM's spawning dragons into battles to summoning massive armies of undead to create havoc, it was a PvP players wet dream.

Now with the Icewind Dale update to Neverwinter everyone can not help but express extreme disappointment with the game due to the utter lacking of PvP and dead zones. I go into Icewind Dale Pass and Dwarven Valley PvP Zone only to find at best one person just wandering around. After they are killed the chances of them returning to the PvP Area are close to zero, and the PvP there is stale as a 2 year old bag of Cheetos. I would suggest making a Zone that requires players to PvP in a completely marked area of flagged PvP. Creating a rewards system such as rewarding small amounts of Glory for kills. Even having players drop items upon death would be a start. Now I know what a lot of you are thinking. Why should I be forced to PvP. Well to be quite honest no one would force you to enter this Zone and partake in this massacre. Players are forced to PvE out boons and grind for gear every day. We are forced to run dungeons and suffer endless PUG matching to obtain lack-luster gear that is only phased out and obsolete to PvP gear in my opinion. I dont mind having to do the quests required to unlock boons even though it is boring as listening to Ben Stein read haiku poetry. No offense Ben.

So making a Zone that requires players to be active in PvP is not even close to the amount of PvE oriented content that people are forced to do. A place where the best of the best can run free, stretch their legs and get some much needed carnage, without having to Que in a broken ELO system match with PUG players who don't even know what's going on. With Random Boss spawns and Random Encounters spawning on the battlefield to create mass havoc, players would be thrusted into a world of violence where the only ones who survive are cut from steel, with minds of flame, and a little luck wouldn't hurt either. The only way your cannot be attached would be by grouping with other players or sharing guild tags.

This is a PvP oriented discussion so please keep the flame comments out, and constructive thoughts only. For serious PvP players who are seeking to bring life back to the PvP system, because lets face it Cryptic. Your last update was widely regarded as a "bad move". You have the power to award those dedicated and hard players who keep your coffers lined with cash and making this game live. Thanks

~Ashiok~
Post edited by juicebox87 on

Comments

• proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Keep it optional. Nobody likes to be forced in ANYTHING.

The same should be true for PvE.

People should have options.
  • js3bjs3b Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Keep it optional. Nobody likes to be forced in ANYTHING.

The same should be true for PvE.

People should have options.

You could have the option to GO OR NOT in the pvp zone, but having a 1/10 pvp zone in 1/50 area.. still useless and boring, as those zone are still empty, and pvp player are scattered betwenn 10-20 instance, having 2-3 player in pvp area in each zone and 25 out of the pvp area...

This kind of pvp zone scatter the players who want to pvp and does not work. We need a 100% pvp area, witch would be balanced TT/AB by the system when joining the area, if the area is filled with 15TT and 15AB then a new instance is created. etc etc ..
    Same if 14/15 in instance and someone in a 5man party trying to join, it could create a new instance directly for the group to get in..

Anyway a 100% pvp area would be better than having a small portion of a map for pvp and the 90% of it for pve...
    Founder back a week ago, already pissed by cryptic ''no roll back'' decision

• stalesmokestalesmoke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    anything to bring more pvp plz
  • pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would mostly be happy if you could just swap instances in IWD the way you want (unless this has changed considering I don't really go there). Since you can no longer stay after a match to 1v1, the open world is where I thought I could regain that luxury. It would also be handy to have a camp fire much closer to the pvp zone...but then again, you would have to go to a secluded area to prevent interference.... meh, I guess there is no convenient fix. No wonder I don't even bother with the grind there...
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I think a lot of times, there aren't enough players to trigger open world PVP.

Module 3 was just released and this should technically be its highest usage. The fact that a lot of open world pvp zones are empty is very scary
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As a pure PvE player I actually support this idea, so long as PvE people aren't forced to enter that zone. This way the PK's get all the space they need, and everyone else gets a quieter and less abusive zone chat. ;)
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • juicebox87juicebox87 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The problem right now is Im guessing Black Ice Domination still being bugged is affecting the PvE and PvP In Icewind by not allowing the T3 Encounters to Spawn. Hoping they fix that soon.
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What they have in the other MMORPG is dedicated servers for pvp. Regular servers are like here (minus the unwanted dc, rubberbanding) and there is also one dedicated server for pvp, where you can lose gear when you lose a fight.
  • quitegonejinquitegonejin Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014
    Just start with fixing black ice dom. It is an open zone, and being smaller then a full zone means it should be congested enough for lots of fun. But having it not work no one cares to go there. 3 weeks now the new hotness has been out, and not worked at all since. That's just LAZY and INSULTING. And they want us to buy more zen? C'mon peeps, get your youknowwhat together.
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You want to bring life back to pvp tone the underpowered classes up, or tone the overpowered classes down and things can resume. Nobody want to be destroyed by the 3 OP classes because of bad mechanics and exploited abilities.

It becomes beyond discouraging to out play, out technique another player and still lose! These unkillable helaing HRs that are harder to kill then a raid boss, and the GodMode spammable unstoppable GWFs.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sort of.

REALLY large Open PvP areas with enough room for several castle/keeps/forts with "safe" zones.

Warhammer nailed it with their PvP -- large areas, siege weapons, 40+vs40+ with multiple capturable/reinforceable areas. And you would start in your safe zone, and you could run back to it if you needed to regroup, respawn, restock, rearm, etc.