test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New character faces...

illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 33
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
... are generally horrid imho.

Worst of all there doesn't seem to be an option present to use old facial model for new characters.

They all look shiny and plastic like a half-melted Barbie doll :(
Post edited by illyrian2008 on

Comments

• varetmarkushvaretmarkush Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I agree with that... the devs are far too much influenced by J-RPG (horrible and plastic imo) models for their own good..
  • illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    I agree with that... the devs are far too much influenced by J-RPG (horrible and plastic imo) models for their own good..

They did the same in Star Trek Online but customization there is better with more options, models are not as bad and old fetaures are still an option.

These honestly remind of faces of WWI soldiers burned by mustard gas...
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Some people (not me, mind you) are delighted. I on the other hand have created a few chars for the future use (they are all lvl 4 now) before this atrocity came live just so I am not forced to use the new faces.
    What hurts me most is that they've changed tiefling eyes on my old char. I could fix it in the alteration tower, but that would destroy my whole face :(
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Female drow cannot blink properly.

Ok, it's all female races it seems....
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There was a seventeen page thread on this, including notation of such things as half-elf and drow males having ears that don't actually attach to their head, the long braids new male hairstyle having scalp clip through it in the back, halfling males being horribly deformed, etc.

It was utterly ignored and nearly all the issues and ugliness went live. It's shameful and disgusting. Pretty much the only improvement made was a slight fixing of half-orc tusks and the toning down of female elf eyes. Everything else went live with no fixes or even acknowledgement, and of course all the original options are completely gone.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
    edited May 2014
    Dun dun DUUUN! I feel depressed now. I mean really, what was wrong with old options? Now I cannot make a new char. I tried, but those plastic monstrosities repulse me too much.
  • seanna2000seanna2000 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2014
    naicalus wrote: »
    There was a seventeen page thread on this, including notation of such things as half-elf and drow males having ears that don't actually attach to their head, the long braids new male hairstyle having scalp clip through it in the back, halfling males being horribly deformed, etc.

It was utterly ignored and nearly all the issues and ugliness went live. It's shameful and disgusting. Pretty much the only improvement made was a slight fixing of half-orc tusks and the toning down of female elf eyes. Everything else went live with no fixes or even acknowledgement, and of course all the original options are completely gone.

I'm not surprised they were utterly ignored.
    edited May 2014
    I can't update my drow without turning them into mice, my old tiefling's eyes are changed/ruined and can't change that without updating to the hideous new head model that's not even animated right.
  • isoplethisopleth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm brand new to this game but I'm sure glad I made characters I'm happy with before this happened.

I like to play small characters and my old halfing is adorable (kinda looks like Wednesday Addams, haha) but the new options.. I tried to recreate her look and all I could get was some kind of mutated Sarah Palin with bonus lumps in her neck. The other racial faces seem to have been "babyfied" so to speak. I'm not sure what, if any, new character I'd want to roll now considering how much I preferred the old look.

The new hair options are lovely but how come they didn't just add the new faces along with the old ones like they did for hair? So confused by that decision but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

For the record my daughter loved the new face for humans so much she made a new one of those, so good job there, more options are always welcome. This is something I know that Cryptic is aware of. I've never known them to *remove* existing character creation options.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    naicalus wrote: »

baby steps.

i can understand some of the frustrations here, but i also remember a web Q&A where someone was asking andy velasquez for more character customizations in comparison to the customizations in STO and he thought that was entirely fair criticism.

so fast forward to today and you have these new options. your current characters weren't forced to use any of the new modeling, but perhaps you don't like them. that's fair criticism. they're too shiny. that's also fair criticism.

i do have a different perspective on seventeen pages of feedback, though. constructive feedback is definitely encouraged and appreciated. we even took some of it directly to the CMs to push forward. the development process is not a short one and these things may have been in planning for a long while. so maybe there are 20-40 or so users on the forums that don't like the previews of these changes. does that mean they should scrap that entire portion of the change or addition? they will definitely be getting more feedback now that these changes are live. and they can change anything in-game down the road. the focus may simply be to get more input.

so please keep providing your constructive criticism on these changes. if you don't like them, why don't you like them? how could they be better?
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Eh, I dunno - most of the JRPGs and Eastern MMOs I've seen have much better faces than the new ones. These are just.... ew. /shrug
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    To be fair, it's pretty crass to finally deliver on these new customization options. But do it in such a way that forces people to commit fully into the new system to make use of them. We didn't gain options, we actually lost some.
    edited May 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Eh, I dunno - most of the JRPGs and Eastern MMOs I've seen have much better faces than the new ones. These are just.... ew. /shrug

It seems a bad hybrid. It's not gone full on J-RPG and hasn't given up its own style completely yet. So we have this odd mash up. It's almost funny to see the ultra shiny faces with the normal bodies with a clear line on the neck where the baby oil stops.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I haven't been looking too closely at the new faces and body styles, but based on all the screenshots I've seen I would describe my current distaste for them as such: they are beginning to look *too* cartoonish.

The "original" models were certainly cartoonish, but maintained a western slant of shapes and features (with regard to western-drawn cartoon animation and artwork). However the newer styles are exaggerating the unusual shapes, more like eastern cartoon animations.
    \This is okay with mobs and monsters (the giant monster in new zone with hellishly large arms like an ape? Fair enough) - but my character represents *me* and is the one character I am staring at *all the time*.

Again - based on what I've seen myself, I will investigate further - I would say the stylishness toward the unusual is a bit overbearing without options that lean more toward normal. And by "normal" I'm referring to something a little closure to realism, which is what we've had up to now.
    edited May 2014
    Constructive feedback? I'll try even if I am very upset at this moment.

New faces suc.... ekhm I mean, there also people who like them, but also many that hate them, why to ignore their opinion?
    I personally think old ones are much better (some races have better proportin now, but even for them the skin texture ruins it), but I understand that other people may have different taste.

I am not telling that all the new stuff should be removed (I wouldn't mind tho tbh), I am telling devs should keep old faces too, that way everyone would be happy.

About how to improve what we have now:

-do something about the skin/hair texture,
    -all male drow faces actually look the same. Same goes for the female elves (previously you could for exaple make an angry looking char, I don't know how to achieve it now) and to a less extent other races.
    -Female half-orcs were always on the pretty side, but now.... take the tusks away and you'd think they are half-elves! They need more sharp features, square jaws and such.
    -more jaws please. Both for males and females
    - some mature faces maybe? It's not about complexion, it's about face proportions. I'm not sure exactly what makes them all look like teens, however I suspect "more jaws" would cure that.
    - halfling body: perfect! just keep it as it is! (I never liked that race)
    -and do something about the skin/hair texture again
    edited May 2014
    Am I the only one experiencing weird blinking animations for females?

Aside from that we should have the option to use the old version, considering mod 3 messed up tiefling eyes for old characters.
    edited May 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Am I the only one experiencing weird blinking animations for females?

Aside from that we should have the option to use the old version, considering mod 3 messed up tiefling eyes for old characters.

Not only you, some other people also experienced this.
    And my tiefling's eyes are changed too, ouch.
    edited May 2014
    ulviel wrote: »
    Not only you, some other people also experienced this.
    And my tiefling's eyes are changed too, ouch.

I recall the NPC for the Tymora event or one of em was a weird looking drow. Probably using an older version of these hideous heads. But her eyebrows were twitching so badly as if she was suffering from a muscular disorder.
  • whatevermangwhatevermang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    baby steps.

i can understand some of the frustrations here, but i also remember a web Q&A where someone was asking andy velasquez for more character customizations in comparison to the customizations in STO and he thought that was entirely fair criticism.

so fast forward to today and you have these new options. your current characters weren't forced to use any of the new modeling, but perhaps you don't like them. that's fair criticism. they're too shiny. that's also fair criticism.

i do have a different perspective on seventeen pages of feedback, though. constructive feedback is definitely encouraged and appreciated. we even took some of it directly to the CMs to push forward. the development process is not a short one and these things may have been in planning for a long while. so maybe there are 20-40 or so users on the forums that don't like the previews of these changes. does that mean they should scrap that entire portion of the change or addition? they will definitely be getting more feedback now that these changes are live. and they can change anything in-game down the road. the focus may simply be to get more input.

so please keep providing your constructive criticism on these changes. if you don't like them, why don't you like them? how could they be better?

You kind of skipped over the most important issue here. Regardless of what people think of some of the new customization options, which can certainly be tuned and improved upon as you say, the real problem is the removal of the old options. Not only can people who liked the old presets no longer create new characters that look the way they want, they also can't change for example the hair color on one of their existing characters in the Tower of Alteration without being forced to use one the new presets, dramatically changing the look of their character. That's not acceptable.
    edited May 2014
    The color options for hurt eyes are pointless now. It's all completely red aside from a faint little colored speck. Completely wrecked now. Can't have an elf with hurt blue eyes or yellow.
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    More options is not equal to the total change of the foregoing.

ps: I just think que the former is much more "Japanese" than the current?

I made ​​an elf's face with piccolo (dbz).
  • mstrssihrmstrssihr Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As far as the old character content being completely removed the game, that's a real <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> stick. :( I'm sure down the road that there will be a ton more changes coming for char creation customization, ****hopefully some glowing full-body tattoos*****. These new skins from Mod3 are not perfect, but imo they're better than the last ones.

I however am digging the new character changes, to the Creators thank you very much for the effort that was put into this. <3

npjh5d.jpg
    - Major Peachy Bottom * Gutbuster's Brigade -

"Last request - microtransactions for alllll old skins for zen/weapon appearance changes, 500 zen to make ur wep glow the color/enchant you want it... You will make more off that one item than any other zen item ever made." freshour

"beckylunatic" Gateway AH should have column headers to sort by buyout, bid, end time, quantity, etc. These disappeared iirc with the module launch. It's obnoxious.
  • nirraddrappehsnirraddrappehs Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    the out right removal of the original looks for any appearance change is a step backwards and is NOT adding more options.
    many of the new looks and textures are an improvement and many should have also been improved from the original.

was it wise to release the new looks when you had pages of feed back telling you of clipping, disembodied ears, dead eyes that don't blink.

How can it be viewed as a wise business decision to release a broken product with only a promise of "baby steps" to fix it when also alienating your existing consumers.

Again you had pages of feedback prior to release why use a test group and ask there input then disregard it and release it as is and when faced with any criticism not look for the underlining problem and fix it, have you ever asked "why do think that" instead of waving a T.O.S. violation flag and closing threads or outwardly disregarding what could help you fix and maybe prevent future frustration for both yourselves and clients.

I cannot stress this enough if you want neverwinter to succeed you will need to have a thick skin to do it.

you need to learn when to stop a launch of new content and wait until its beta tests are addressed utilize the testers input address it before launch how much player grief would have been saved and face saved by your company by delaying launch a week or more to make sure it was right the 1st time.

also perhaps you should shift your focus from adding new content to perfecting what existing content there is at present, I see you are making progress with this but for any new player to the game they will see for themselves and in forums pages and pages or angry players voicing however constructive or not there criticism may be... and little being done.

in conclusion: many small mistakes can add up to a catastrophic mistake.... nothing i have stated here is NEW information simply what what you community and paying customers feel and beleve to be true.

its up to you to change those misconceptions, if in fact they are and one melted plastic face at a time if need be.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    . . . I really do not like the new face models. To me, they look very plastic and less realistic than before. I really cannot stand them. :( I wanted to make a couple new characters this weekend.. unfortunately, I won't be making any new characters until we either get access to the old face models or these new one are made more realistic.

. . . Folks, if you do not like the new face models, don't use a change appearance token or else you'll loose access to your original face model if it's one of the old ones.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Moderator Notice:
    . . . If you want to discuss forum rules or constructive critisism, take it to Private Messages. Thanks!
    edited May 2014
    I did a little more playing around with it. And I have to say its just a few small things that seem to spoil the entire update. The loss of the complexions page is one of the single biggest issue for myself. Without it, there is really no other option then to settle for the overly glossy skin used in the new editor. Any option to bring it back or tone down the gloss, would be most welcome.

As far as the structure changes to faces, not all of it is bad. But generally I'm finding the sliders either doing to much or not enough. Most of the faces still lack a lower jaw. Noses, no matter how I tried to set them, always seem to have a slight hook to them. And mouths seem permanently locked into a most aggressive frown. Ive not found any settings to improve this. Granted, you couldn't really make a smile in the old system, but at least it was possible to get a fairly neutral expression.

I feel like they want our characters fill in for an Abercrombie and Fitch advert. Far too young, far too sculpted, and overly serious for no reason other then STYLE!
  • asherjwildstarasherjwildstar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've seen the options to change the appearance of characters, and it is true that now there are plus details, but the new models are terrible, shiny skins as if they were made ​​of plastic, children's faces on the bodies of adults in style J-RPG. Elves and Drow now seem to be the Master Spliter of Ninja Turtles. Besides, if one changes the face is impossible to go back to the old model and also those who create now a character device from scratch can only use the new models. The new hairstyles are rather good, but had to be given possibility of being able to use the old model, perhaps adding the graphic detail of the new models
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Oh boy, STO all over again. Instead of overhauling everything, is it really impossible just to ADD an extra feature to choose from? Seriously, with all the customizing option in both STO and Champions, I'd think it would be a no-brainer to just include more customizing options instead of what's happened...
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Anyone have any side-by-side comparisons?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm a little mixed about these changes.
    For starters I only paid attention to Tieflings, and I love the new options we get for the horns. and am of two minds about the changes to the male faces. I never liked the chin spikes so I'm glad that they minimized their size, but the faces with the smaller spikes look...weird. Then again I play a female Tiefling (again due to the chin spikes) so I don't mind too much.