test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Damage Formulas for Control Wizards

abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Library
I've been doing a lot of testing to determine how damage is calculated in Neverwinter. In old forum threads such as this one: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?301761-Calculating-stats-and-their-effects one of the things that was listed as still needing to be figured out were the coefficients that modify power and weapon damage that go into the spell damage calculation. I haven't been able to find anyone else who did it. So went ahead and did it myself.

The damage calculations for CW abilites all have the same basic form:

damage = C1*(1+(Int-10)/100)*((1+WD*.00846)*(0.9+rank/10)+(Cp*power))

where

C1 = a constant unique to each ability
Int = The Intelligence of your character
WD = your weapon damage (you can use max, min, or average depending on what you want to know)
rank = the number of times you have upgraded the ability (Rank 1, 2 or 3)
Cp = the power coefficient (varies slightly by ability)
power = your current power (obviously)

Ability
Cp
Cv

Magic Missile

Ray of Frost

Chill Strike

Ice Storm

Conduit of Ice

Entangling Force

Arcane Singularity

Oppressive Force

Repel

Chilling Cloud

Shield

Icy Terrain

Sudden Strike

Storm Pillar

Ray of Enfeeblement

Ice Knife

Icy Rays

Steal Time

Shard of Endless Avalanche

Maelstrom of Chaos
N/A

Maelstrom of Chaos has its own unique formula which is

C1*(1+WD*.00846)*(0.85+rank*1.5/10)

I have not investigated Master of Flame abilities.

I've written up a much more thorough post analyzing this and sharing some things I've learned about the game mechanics during testing at the following link. If you're new to the game and want to understand how the abilities work this is for you. Also if you're an old grizzled vet, I'd wager that I dug up a few pieces of information that you didn't know.

http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/351-damage-calculations-for-control-wizard-abilities/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by abaddon523 on

Comments

• frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thank you very much, this is awesome.

edit: I don't have permission to look at the charts.
    After you cast shield the tooltip changes and tells you the damage.
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    frznvimes wrote: »
    edit: I don't have permission to look at the charts.

Really? Blast. I'll see what I can do about that.
    frznvimes wrote: »
    After you cast shield the tooltip changes and tells you the damage.

Did not know that. Thanks.

Edit

Ok, pics should be fixed now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I definitely appreciate the entirity of the work you had to go through for that.

But Your calculations seem a little high on the Intelligence per point bonus to power multiplier. But that is on your blog post not on this specific one. Still... it contains some good information.
  • frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    Ok, pics should be fixed now

Confirmed.
    edited April 2014
    I definitely appreciate the entirity of the work you had to go through for that.

But Your calculations seem a little high on the Intelligence per point bonus to power multiplier. But that is on your blog post not on this specific one. Still... it contains some good information.

What, specifically, is off? I'd prefer to correct anything that isn't accurate rather than just let it slide. Are you getting different results somewhere? Like if you plug in your INT, weapon damage, and power are the numbers off? If so, are you sure it isn't because of the feats you have equipped?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    What, specifically, is off? I'd prefer to correct anything that isn't accurate rather than just let it slide. Are you getting different results somewhere? Like if you plug in your INT, weapon damage, and power are the numbers off? If so, are you sure it isn't because of the feats you have equipped?

Ok as an example I took a look at your Sudden Storm Int Multiplier.

According to your power multiplier you said... at 24 Int will do approximately 16.4 damager per 100 points of power.

My current power level is 6500, ergo 650 x 16.4 would be 9800 damage or so base... (at an ARP score of 2200)

I know this is not its average, even on the really weak things.
    edited April 2014
    Ok as an example I took a look at your Sudden Storm Int Multiplier.

According to your power multiplier you said... at 24 Int will do approximately 16.4 damager per 100 points of power.

My current power level is 6500, ergo 650 x 16.4 would be 9800 damage or so base... (at an ARP score of 2200)

I know this is not its average, even on the really weak things.

I believe your calculation is off by a decimal point. 6500/100 = 65. So 65 x 16.4 = 1066. Your power is adding 1066 damage to the ability.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    I believe your calculation is off by a decimal point. 6500/100 = 65. So 65 x 16.4 = 1066. Your power is adding 1066 damage to the ability.

Hmm you're right, I tried to do it in my head real quick to get an estimate, but I probably should have just used a calculator.
  • nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Very good for here, it will help a lot with feat like learned spell caster.

How did you obtain such value so we can try to obtain the MoF missing power. (FtF, SB, FI and Smolder) ?
    edited April 2014
    A good deal of the trouble was just figuring out the basic formula (how intelligence factors in, what the ranks modify, etc). Now that that is done, it should be easier to do the master of Flame abilities. But that's not to say it is easy or quick. It's all about isolating variables.

1. Do a clean respec of your character to get rid of all of the feats and boons because those can screw with the damage.
    2. Put one rank into the spell you're going to figure out.
    3. You need five things to find the power coefficient:
    First, unequip everything including your weapon and make all companions idle. Your power should be 0.
    a = the tooltip damage in this configuration.

Then equip your weapon only.
    b = your power
    c = the tool tip damage (use the max)

Then equip the rest of your gear.
    d = your power
    e = the tool tip damage (use the max)

The power coefficient Cp will be (e - c)/((d - b)*a)

4. Using your fully equipped numbers, plug everything into the general form of the equation (in the OP) and solve for C1.

5. Verify you got it right. Buy a few different weapons on the Auction House with different damage and power. With the above formula you should be able to predict what the tooltip will be before you equip them.

6. Now the ugly part. Install the Advanced Combat Tracker and the Neverwinter plug-in. Run tests where you use the abilities over and over on test dummies (don't have a full set of High Vizier Equipped or it will throw things off) to make sure that the damage you are doing lines up with the tooltip. If you read through the full linked blog post you'll see several occasions where the tooltip damage is off. If it is off you'll have to figure out why - did you have combat advantage? Did some passerby buff you or debuff the dummy? Do you have a campfire bonus? Or is the tooltip just inaccurate? If so, how? You'll have to figure out how tab changes things, also.

I won't lie, it's a fair amount of work. And tedious. And it knocks your character out of commission until you are done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • olegsanderolegsander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Awesome work. WTB your in-game name+ @handle.
    edited April 2014
    I just had to make a correction to the blog posting concerning Conduit of Ice. Turns out that the damage of the hits increases by 4% while it is on tab but not while slotted elsewhere. Also when tabbed a 7th hit is added but it is only 6 regularly. I had to re-do the encounter graphs to take those things out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A good deal of the trouble was just figuring out the basic formula (how intelligence factors in, what the ranks modify, etc). Now that that is done, it should be easier to do the master of Flame abilities. But that's not to say it is easy or quick. It's all about isolating variables.

1. Do a clean respec of your character to get rid of all of the feats and boons because those can screw with the damage.
    OK, thanks. I haven't the time if someone want to try. It will be really appreciated.

And for the respec, just make a copy into owlbear server : free respec ^o^