test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Respec's and Rerolling "Starting" Attributes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
It would be great if we could reroll our starting attributes with respec'ing a character.

By "Starting" attributes, I mean rerolling the set that we do at character creation.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Truly, there must be dozens upon dozens of threads requesting this.

I'm with you. My best guess is that 90%+ of the NW Community is with you as well.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Truly, there must be dozens upon dozens of threads requesting this.

I'm with you. My best guess is that 90%+ of the NW Community is with you as well.

Well that is like saying 100% of the NW wants 500 free zen event. It isn't saying much. Of course people want more.

The relevant question to ask is, how much percentage of the NW community prioritize this feature. My guess is, not nearly as high as 90%. Forum vote does not mean much since only a small fraction goes into the forums and posts regularly. In fact, I don't see more than 100 unique people here.
    edited April 2014
    . My guess is, not nearly as high as 90%. Forum vote does not mean much since only a small fraction goes into the forums and posts regularly. In fact, I don't see more than 100 unique people here.

My point exactly! If we've already seen several requests for this item, and only a fraction of people visit the forums, there's clearly a strong desire for from the player base.

Heck, charge 1000 Zen or more for it! It could be a big money maker for Cryptic. No one is asking for it for free.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    edited April 2014
    I don't see how Cryptic could lose on it, really. Put a token in the Zen store for 1000 Zen. People would buy that up! It's more a matter of programming/coding, I'd imagine.

1000 zen sounds reasonable for the amount that it devalues levelling a new toon from 1-60 and getting the boons as well as the amount of players in NW who truly consider this feature sort of an ultimatum to their characters being either "broken" or "perfect".

It should be a matter of time before they implement this.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I havent really read a good argument against including this feature. Most arguments revolve around you being punished for not doing mass amounts of research before you rolled your character to play. Personally I think that having to read countless posts and guides before ever rolling a character is a poor substitute for just allowing a reroll.
  • kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I fully support this idea.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to put a Token for this in the Ardent Favor shop instead of the Zen Market. This would prevent people who don't mind constantly paying from always being maxed out in whatever stats they want and would allow Initial Ability Scores to retain a sense of importance and permanence.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • slushlikewindslushlikewind Member Posts: 272 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    It is really easy to level a toon anyway.

Besides it is really down to how you play your class. If you meant to play in the top 1% of the PVP/PVE community, then by all means MAX/MIN your toon otherwise I see little point of doing so.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    . . . I agree that we need to be able to re-select our starting attributes. However, I feel starting attributes need to be included in the "full" respec as well as have a "Attribute Only" respec zen store item.

Besides it is really down to how you play your class. If you meant to play in the top 1% of the PVP/PVE community, then by all means MAX/MIN your toon otherwise I see little point of doing so.

. . . Many people invest a lot in a character. Such things like equipment, companions, mounts, cosmetics, achievements, and so on... To dismiss this idea with the argument that making characters easy is a folly argument, indeed.
    edited April 2014

You're ignoring the fact that there is so much more to a character than being level 60. Things like bound armor/weapons/artifacts, two campaigns and boons, Professions, Achievements, etc. means re-rolling is simply not an option for me.

The term MIN/MAX gets thrown around so much that it's really lost its meaning. You don't have to be a MIN/MAX player to want the most for your character. It also has nothing to do with how powerful your character is but rather how you build your character. A player is a MIN/MAX player if he designs his build around maximizing one strength at the cost of minimizing other strengths, like a TR who stacks only Recovery or a GWF who stacks only Hitpoints. These players are MIN/MAX players even if they have 1 blue artifact and Rank 6s. The term has nothing to do with buying all of the best stuff and being part of the 1%.
  • slushlikewindslushlikewind Member Posts: 272 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    kolevra wrote: »
    You're ignoring the fact that there is so much more to a character than being level 60. Things like bound armor/weapons/artifacts, two campaigns and boons, Professions, Achievements, etc. means re-rolling is simply not an option for me.

The term MIN/MAX gets thrown around so much that it's really lost its meaning. You don't have to be a MIN/MAX player to want the most for your character. It also has nothing to do with how powerful your character is but rather how you build your character. A player is a MIN/MAX player if he designs his build around maximizing one strength at the cost of minimizing other strengths, like a TR who stacks only Recovery or a GWF who stacks only Hitpoints. These players are MIN/MAX players even if they have 1 blue artifact and Rank 6s. The term has nothing to do with buying all of the best stuff and being part of the 1%.

You are ignoring the fact that all weapon and armor are easily obtainable, artifact well it is a money sink anyway, if you are not rich don't touch them. and I don't know why care about professions since they are easy to go up, achievements plz lol... And boons, a lot of good players are rocking only the first 3 boons which is the most important one and are easy to get.

My point: rerolling a toon only gives u a inception that you are STRONGER, technically it does make u stronger as well. But eventually you are just as good as how you play. Have a better ability roll but sitting on rank 6s + 1 blue artifact would gurantee you get your *** handed in when facing rank 10s + lengendary arifacts. How you gonna argue that?

If you have all the time to beg for reroll just go get your rank 10s.
  • yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would love this as well.

The game has had a few changes and a few more are coming.

It seems reasonable to offer a stat adjustment so we can roll with the changes.

But I can also see the flip-side argument as having validity.

If you can change everything, then there is no consequence to your choices.

Also, I imagine the suits running the game calculate someone will spend more on a new toon.

But considering both sides of the thing, I think a stat respect is warranted and fair given the many nerfs, un-nerfs, and de-nerfs.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    You are ignoring the fact that all weapon and armor are easily obtainable, artifact well it is a money sink anyway, if you are not rich don't touch them. and I don't know why care about professions since they are easy to go up, achievements plz lol... And boons, a lot of good players are rocking only the first 3 boons which is the most important one and are easy to get.

My point: rerolling a toon only gives u a inception that you are STRONGER, technically it does make u stronger as well. But eventually you are just as good as how you play. Have a better ability roll but sitting on rank 6s + 1 blue artifact would gurantee you get your *** handed in when facing rank 10s + lengendary arifacts. How you gonna argue that?

If you have all the time to beg for reroll just go get your rank 10s.
    . . . What about all our Zen character only purchases? What about all our achievements? What about all our AD spent on transmutes, dyes, companion upgrades, mount upgrades, and so forth and so on. Let's not forget all the time invested in our Professions and Campaigns. You're ignoring these facts. They may be trivial to you but to me, these things are not.
    edited April 2014
    slushlikewind, you seem to have missed my point. Starting over completely takes a lot of time under the condition that if I were to do so, I would want to eventually re-attain all of the things that my character has compiled over several months of play time. Whether or not these things are easily obtainable, necessary, or important is a matter of perspective. I personally don't care what 'top players' are doing, I like having things like achievements.

Like you said, ability scores are not a huge deal, you can still play all of the content competitively without them. Thus, they're just not important enough to me to warrant such a large investment of time.

If the devs agree with your stance on the matter, that if a player is not willing to invest all of the time needed to replicate a character, then I guess we will never get the chance to re-roll our initial ability scores. It's a fair enough opinion on the matter.

I'm proposing that the devs consider people who would like to re-roll these scores without having to completely abandon their character by starting over from scratch, which is currently the only way of getting a re-roll.
  • shadowheraldshadowherald Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    uglyduck1 wrote: »
    It would be great if we could reroll our starting attributes with respec'ing a character.

By "Starting" attributes, I mean rerolling the set that we do at character creation.
    Why, because you didn't take the time to access what each attribute contributes to? Just wham bham I have a toon, ready to roll, oh wait, I'm level 60 and not elite enough...cries..

Not being harsh, and yes this game is for fun, but even in PnP, you have to adjust your play style based on your stats you iron out during character creation. If you feel your lacking in one attribute to be GOD DPS in end game adjust your play style or equipment, or re-roll a new character more to your satisfaction.
    edited April 2014
    Why, because you didn't take the time to access what each attribute contributes to? Just wham bham I have a toon, ready to roll, oh wait, I'm level 60 and not elite enough...cries..

Not being harsh, and yes this game is for fun, but even in PnP, you have to adjust your play style based on your stats you iron out during character creation. If you feel your lacking in one attribute to be GOD DPS in end game adjust your play style or equipment, or re-roll a new character more to your satisfaction.
    All of which is irrelevant in the world of MMOs. This is not PnP.
  • frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why, because you didn't take the time to access what each attribute contributes to?
    Such as how cha's +1% combat advantage damage is multiplicative and so mostly worthless?
    How is a new player supposed to find that out?
  • shadowheraldshadowherald Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Guys are acting like MMO's just came out last year and it's a new format. Whatever.
    edited April 2014

Actually, most strong PVPers are looking for less DPS and more HP.

You're also missing the point that Cryptic made changes that make certain stat rolls less desirable. When NW first came out, burst damage was king. 40k Ice Knives, 60k Lashing Blades, etc. That's all changed now.

But here's the most important thing for Cryptic: It will make them money. There's a need and people will pay for it when real cash or AD converted to ZEN.

Simple enough.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ^^^^^^What Degraaf said.

Nuff Said!
  • godhricgodhric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 437 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014

I actually do read before embarking on my first character. I'll give you an example.
    Playing cleric, the primary stat is Wisdom, right? So I decided I wanna be full support and have the Wis maxed. All is cool, until out of nowhere they introduced healing depression, which gimp this particular build in PVP. Can still get the rank 10? yes.. but against good 10s players with correct roll, i will be in quite in a disadvantaged position.
  • desolator777desolator777 Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2014
    I have a different solution to this problem. Say what the stats ACTUALLY do while creating a character so I don't have to find the wiki page about it. Then I won't screw up my stats in the first place. The stat descriptions for rangers and wizards are extremely misleading and inaccurate and vague.
  • milenaelzmilenaelz Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree that we should have the option to change our 'starting' attributes. Create a token and charge 1000~2000 zen for it. Many will buy and more $$$ for Cryptic.
    Lvl 70 Divine Oracle
    Lvl 70 Oathbound Paladin
    Lvl 60 Spellstorm Mage
  • kuyabaykuyabay Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2014
    I'm all for this as I think it will benefit both the player base and Cryptic. For the playerbase, it's obvious, for Cryptic it can mean better customer service and extended game longevity. Many of us started out with pve in mind, and rolled our toons accordingly to what's best for said purpose. Overtime, Pve becomes stale and the players either quit or go into pvp.

This is the dilemma many of us currently face; reroll or take a long break from the game. Rerolling isn't an option for some of us as we have sinked many hours/ad into our toons. Taking a break from the game, I hate to say it but some don't come back. There are other mmos out there especially now with some big names on the horizon.

Imho, this is a win-win situation for both the playerbase and Cryptic if the option is available. Here's another reason, the pets that we have invested in, millions in ad, will now have active bonuses in the pvp areas in Mod 3. It makes no sense to reroll and spending millions more ad to get the same pets again.
  • omen6363omen6363 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    1000 zen sounds reasonable for the amount that it devalues levelling a new toon from 1-60 and getting the boons as well as the amount of players in NW who truly consider this feature sort of an ultimatum to their characters being either "broken" or "perfect".

It should be a matter of time before they implement this.

I would love to see this added for those that truely want to Min=Max their toons.
  • js3bjs3b Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Please do this cryptic.....
    Founder back a week ago, already pissed by cryptic ''no roll back'' decision

• tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like the
    Say what the stats ACTUALLY do while creating a character
    post.

The descriptions are vague at best. They should be descriptive. New players may not know that CON controls HP or that having a high DEX on CW is useless. Or as mentioned, high WIS on a PVP DC.
    Of course while they're doing that correct the inaccurate tooltips for encounters/powers too.

A few months ago I would have been against this, but with all the major changes to the classes, buffing, nerfing, balancing, the healing isn't the only thing that has become depressed. A simple stat re-roll could breathe new life into a stale toon.

I see some of these sigs of posters here listing their characters. Some say "retired" after a toons name. Maybe being able to freshen up the character would be enough of a reason to 'unretire' a toon.

As for the cost, you bet your Pile of Easter Candy that there will be a cost to do this, but it is one that many will gladly pay. There will be players who wouldn't mind a little less DEX in trade for a little more CON, More INT, less WIS, etc..
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
    edited April 2014
    I understand arguements from the angles you guys are giving, and if they want to make money, I'm sure cryptic will give an attribute respec to make some money, why not right? But this game is already on a slippery slope of getting the stigma it's pay to win, which will, and adding repec for attributes, adding a race change, etc., will be on par to this accusation. Just playing devil's advocate here.

I agree. I think it really needs to stop at ability rolls since it kinda is attached to the stats.

I mean, if we keep on going on this slope, what's to stop people from requesting being able to change their Control Wizard to a Trickster Rogue for 2000zen
  • yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The game probably gets way more revenue from a new character.
    Maybe that person will get a new mount, extra bags of holding, new companions, etc, etc.
    Whereas as respec costs what it costs and that's it.

I just find it funny that the only things you can't change are your first choices made with the least amount of knowledge and the most vague descriptions.

Another D&D Based MMORPG I love hands out FREE respecs when they change the nature of the game.
    Because people needs to adjust when the game adjusts.
    Fair is fair.

I think paying for a respec when the game changes the rule is reasonable and needed to keep the game fun.
    No one like playing a toon they perceive as broken.
  • risendragonrisendragon Member Posts: 88
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, I felt really ripped off when I rolled my first character because I didn't understand what any of the ability scores did for me. It has lead to me having to reroll 2 of my characters which I spent a lot of time in effort on because the ability scores I rolled were not the way I wanted to build my character. That little difference goes a long way in deciding your end-game equipment. Very frustrating. A reroll token would be well worth it, and I'd definitely buy it.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Guys, let's not let this venture into the realm of P2W discussion. You know it's not allowed. Sorry if it seems harsh that we enforce that pretty strictly...but look it from our point of view: we've had to moderate dozens, if not hundreds of P2W threads that degenerated into flame wars because people have radically differing definitions of what constitutes pay to win, and each one will defend that view to the death. So we disallowed the topic altogether.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com