test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

That F Key

mazel76mazel76 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PvE Discussion
This is really for the Dev's: What were you thinking? The F Button for pick-ups and everything from PM, Kick, Invite, etc TAB. Ok multi-function Button, is the biggest mistake ever in gameplay. Really with how many keys/buttons on a keyboard your going to make a all in one most annoying button? Look if you play the game you know what I talking about. Example for the none playing designers: There's a item on the floor you run to pick it up but hey someone is standing on it or there just to close, the tab for PM, Invite, Kick, pops up, stopping you from getting item. Or your at the bank about to click F and Boom, <removed> on mount blocks you and instead of going to your banks inventory the tab comes up, or your at the mailbox, chest, guild bank, door or anything else in the game that needs the F key to pick up, unlock, open, etc. Please remove and make a new button for either pick-up or that dam Tab.

While on the subject of Keys/buttons. Why can we not use skills/powers while moving? "Even the CW/DC teleport/slide takes 1-2 secs to move or use powers after use. Can not switch artifacts while in battle? We have 3 slots but can only use 1, than have to open "C" and switch slots. "waste full use for slots" How about a keybind for switching powers/at-wills, and encounters. most players use 2 different setups for fighting single/boss targets to mass/mobs/adds. Having a button to switch back and forth would be ideal for any battle. Not hey wait I need to switch my setup cause there's a boss coming up holding up the party. Functionality for players is KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    forumnamesarelamforumnamesarelam Member Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I actually agree with him.

There should be separate buttons for Player and Object interaction. One of them happens very infrequently and the other quite frequently. Make the PvP "kick" and revive actions work with the same button as the object interaction, and then move the player interaction button to something else. Keep objects on "f" since that's easy and close to the WASD key movement layout and is used to the most (for example, picking up loot, opening vendor interfaces, etc).

Even if there area lot of people that really enjoy inviting people to teams when they are trying to open up their mailbox *grin*, at the very least Cryptic could make this an optional keyboard layout easily enough and it would dramatically increase my enjoyment of the game and I'm sure many others.

Seems like a win/win.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There definitely need to be a few changes - if I am trying to kill or revive someone in PvP, you can't have the player interaction key also bound to the same button - it's an intense time period where fractions of a second count, and no I don't want to send someone a tell or inspect them right then and there. Social player interactions, (i.e. non time-critical ones), should be bound to one key, and those that are time sensitive should be bound to another - I am not in some intense rush to open the bank or inspect a player, but I am if it comes to reviving them or delivering the killing blow.

Along the same lines, things like the auction house, postal courier, and bank people should either have a special interaction key, more of them should be added to convenient location, (so people don't have to crowd them), or simply expand the area in which one can interact w/ them, (instead of having to again pile on top of one another just to send a letter).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Moderator Notice:
    . . . Thread cleansed. To call someone a troll is trolling in itself, especially when done along with nonconstructive feedback - these posts have been removed. Furthermore, profanity is not allowed.

. . . Do not reply to this Moderator notice. Instead, contact us via Private Message to discuss forum moderation. Thanks!
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    . . . I strongly agree with the part about interaction keybinds. We need two keybinds for interactions. One for world interaction (f) and another for player interaction (g). This would be ideal and solve a lot of problems.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    agree. tired of getting a menu about some other player when clearly i am responding to a prompt on screen to press f to interact. been playing since beta, and the very first thing i noticed about this game was how clunky the controls are. that alone, despite months of anxious waiting almost sent me back to my old game.
    it did in fact send my friends that came with me back, they just couldn't hang with it, because they lacked the d&d experience.
    hopefully, they will come around at some point and work on the finer points. it's still a great game...
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    I strongly agree with the part about interaction keybinds. We need two keybinds for interactions. One for world interaction (f) and another for player interaction (g). This would be ideal and solve a lot of problems.

I think it needs to be broken down more finely than that. We need:

1. Time-critical interactions, (like reviving a player, delivering a killing blow in PvP, destroying the caskets raised by Jawbone or Valindra), and so on.

2. NPC/Service interactions - like banks, postal couriers, mission contacts, etc.

3. Player social interactions - inspecting players, trades, send PMs, ignoring other players, etc.

I'm not sure where collecting loot, picking up quest items, or interacting with quest objectives would fit into the above 3 categories - possible the "time-critical" one, as many people try to get an item they need or interact w/ an object without garnering unwanted attention from nearby NPCs.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I think it needs to be broken down more finely than that. We need:

1. Time-critical interactions, (like reviving a player, delivering a killing blow in PvP, destroying the caskets raised by Jawbone or Valindra), and so on.

2. NPC/Service interactions - like banks, postal couriers, mission contacts, etc.

3. Player social interactions - inspecting players, trades, send PMs, ignoring other players, etc.

I'm not sure where collecting loot, picking up quest items, or interacting with quest objectives would fit into the above 3 categories - possible the "time-critical" one, as many people try to get an item they need or interact w/ an object without garnering unwanted attention from nearby NPCs.

there is a little trick to use to better control f key.
    for chests or items blocked by players, move to chest or item look up then press f
    try it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    /10 characters
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    mazel76mazel76 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Could always do something with the B interface, where it allows you to point, click, view other players and interact.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    there is a little trick to use to better control f key.
    for chests or items blocked by players, move to chest or item look up then press f
    try it

:cool: Yes I've been doing that, or turn to the side a little bit. Its more when your about to click F and someone gets in the way.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    mazel76 wrote: »
    :cool: Yes I've been doing that, or turn to the side a little bit. Its more when your about to click F and someone gets in the way.
    . . . Indeed. I always try to not have a player in my crosshairs when I press F. Unfortunately, right as I press it... someone seems to get in the way far too often just as I press F. I've used the look up method myself but this still can be overshadowed if the player moves directly on top of what you're trying to interact with.
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Separating world interaction from player interaction would be enough for me. I regularly open player interaction pop-ups when trying to interact with NPCs, bank, mailbox. It's made worse by a level of lag before I can interact with world objects that doesn't seem evident for players.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Separating world interaction from player interaction would be enough for me. I regularly open player interaction pop-ups when trying to interact with NPCs, bank, mailbox. It's made worse by a level of lag before I can interact with world objects that doesn't seem evident for players.

I wonder if they could simply make it where, say, a < 1 second tap of the F key is for interacting w/ NPCs and objects, but a > 1 second press of the F key brings up the player-social interaction menu. Simply include reviving and killing other players in the first category, though.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for all the good feed back, I just hope it can implemented in a functional way for both the user and programmer.

Cheese did you try lowering your Gphx setting getting rid of refection/boom/shadows and what not and even try to recycle your router. "disregard if so, just trying to help :cool:"
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's never an issue for me with interact objects like NPC and whatnot.

My question is why is there not an option to just auto-pickup everything? There is in STO and CO, but NW? No. *Some* item drops require you to press the interact key. Umm, WHY? To me this is just silly beyond all understanding. Hell, I even pick up every lockbox I find (they're worth 8 Copper at vendor).

So why not an option to always auto-pick up everything?
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One key to rule them all, I don't find it that bad actualy, you should try to play Mass effect 3, Multiplayer on console.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i occasionally (f) on the wrong thing but i just trudge on and don't let it annoy me. if it were a constant problem, it'd be an issue. but thank goodness, it's not.
  • Options
    danaswansondanaswanson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While were on this subject I do have a suggestion for the devs. Give the player a new option in Options>Gameplay to auto loot. The most annoying thing to me is having to press the F key several times after a fight to loot the items. Why not give the user the option to auto loot like you do with gold?

Thanks
    Nostia
    Female Wood Elf Guardian Fighter
    Level 70
    Item Level 2,700
    Neverwinter Email: Nostia@danaswanson

"Winter Is Coming"
  • Options
    barginnbarginn Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    /bind (key) ++interact. The key you choose will ignore players. You're welcome!

/bind g ++interact
  • Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited May 2015
    The F key is one of the last problem on this game is so minor i cant even see it
  • Options
    blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The F key is one of the last problem on this game is so minor i cant even see it

thats what i was thinking.
  • Options
    jpalo316jpalo316 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Nevermind, didn't realize this was a necro thread. Sorry.