test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Event Preview: Respen's Marvelous Game

Comments

• berylgreenberylgreen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited April 2014
    This is definitely my favorite event, so far. Lots of fun, not too hard, and we can trade for the rewards that we are not lucky enough to loot.

There is one bug that I have noticed, sometimes when queueing, one character will spawn at a different campfire than the rest of the group, and then the whole party becomes bugged until the odd character leaves the group. Since this event is almost insta-queue, it is not a huge problem.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have to say, I like the balance that you all have struck here.

Even though the variability is still on the lower end of the scale, the ability to have things mixed up is great and keeps the grind from getting too old too quickly.
    The grind : reward ratio I think is spot on this time around. Even if you scale up the ratios to show that they're about the same (I don't know if they are or not) but the numbers just feel right.

The comedy aspect is great and I sincerely appreciate it.

With rewards being as "cheap" as they are, I can understand why there isn't an SCA component to this event, but having one that was pet specific might have been cool, but I dont think anything was missed there.

The fact that the dungeon (For me at least) is definitely laggy where as the forest is not is quite strange, but overall this event is a winner! I can't wait for Respen to come back around again, maybe with some adventures based off of foundries ;3.
    contents to be decided
  • agjwilsonagjwilson Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    syka08 wrote: »
    I have to say, I like the balance that you all have struck here.

Even though the variability is still on the lower end of the scale, the ability to have things mixed up is great and keeps the grind from getting too old too quickly.
    The grind : reward ratio I think is spot on this time around...

...The fact that the dungeon (For me at least) is definitely laggy where as the forest is not is quite strange, but overall this event is a winner! I can't wait for Respen to come back around again, maybe with some adventures based off of foundries ;3.

Well said ! These cheap thrills make it all worth just experiencing. Even if my computer can't handle it. I do enjoy the SCA, it's what I want the blob for. If I can get him I'm calling him "Bob".

Its great to see that Perfect World are creating an mmo "experience" for D&D fans. Events like this make it all the more to talk about.
  • zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've been very critical of PWE/Cryptic, but this is one event that they knocked out of the park. I honestly think this is the most original thing I've seen from Cryptic in a long time. I love this event and wish it wasn't so short. I really hope it returns soon and often.

Great job guys!
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    did NO ONE else get the joke with the gazebo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_and_the_Dread_Gazebo

absolutely brilliant, we need more stuff like this in NW
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    In game timer is wrong. Event will run to the 4th. This has been confirmed by Pin himself.

Thank you.
  • everwherebuthereeverwherebuthere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    did NO ONE else get the joke with the gazebo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_and_the_Dread_Gazebo

absolutely brilliant, we need more stuff like this in NW
    Without that link, i would have never even thought of it as an easter egg.

... must still be foggy due the effects of the Placebo, not to get the reference to the Gazebo.
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Two things:

First, congrats developers. Excellent job on this one. Fun to play, interesting, humorous, with good rewards that you can earn at a reasonable rate.

Second, this event needs to be expanded. Not just how long it is available to play, but more maps, more quests, more rewards, and more of Sgt. Knox attempting Dryad voices. It's gold. If your goal is to keep your players engaged with the game I, for one, would probably spend more hours playing if this aspect of the game stuck around and expanded. If you could choose to attempt bigger dungeons with harder enemies that would be outstanding. Also it might be a nice old school touch if you could choose a no respawn option--you rushed ahead of your cleric and they got jumped and eaten by a gelatinous cube? Guess you're stuck without a cleric the rest of the dungeon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marevayavemarevayave Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I also love this event! The design and concept are fabulous. My only point of contention is that it only lasts a few days! Could we pretty please receive an extension to cover the weekend?
    Lyneia Darwulf@marevayave - 60 Trickster Rogue - Dragon
  • cbhughescbhughes Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just wanna say this was the best event ive experienced since ive been here. The Dryads voice had me laughing haha. Would love to see different scenarios/rewards for this kind of skirmish and possibly a permanent skirmish? (: Very fun and entertaining, thank you dev team.
  • baubonwnbaubonwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Me too -- sensational, funny, great, terrific event. Nice job folks. Moar like this!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    . . . Just finally got to play this a few times and was able to experience both the forest and the dungeon. I love it! I wish this was a permanent skirmish!
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 847 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Chalk up another fan of this event. Though I did run into a (single) bug where a door didn't open in the dungeon, and we all had to awkwardly jump over it. That and in the (so far) 24 runs I've done, I haven't yet got either the companion or the pet - Though as in 3 runs I'll have enough dice to buy the rewards anyway, its not a problem.

That said, I do think the foes (more in the dungeon than the forest) could do with a bit of a bump to their HP - Quite often I failed challenge's as I couldn't inflict sufficient damage on enemies before my more powerful companions slaughtered... Everything. And if I'm really fussy, a touch more variation on the various dice-roll encounters would be fun - I'm thinking specifically of the spiders and Pit Fiend here.

Great fun, and I'd like to see it rolled out again at either random points through the year, or perhaps concurrently with festivals.
  • royaldoaroyaldoa Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I love it. Can't say much more than people have already said. Everything is great.
    If this were its own game, I would play it.
    This is actually the kind of game I have been waiting for since computers first came out and I was playing pen and paper. Imagine taking all the old modules and putting them in this format! awesome.
    And the possibilities with Foundry with this format!! double awesome

And then, get some epic voice over work, Like Morgan Freeman taking you through a scary dark dungeon. Holy shet man - Gold Mine here! Nemoy, Shatner, etc - Fantastic!!
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I ran a Respen's earlier and got a pocket pet in the end chest - I didn't realize they were available both from the chest and the store - this is a fantastic implementation!

Is it purely random whether you get the forest or dungeon map, though? And what about the end boss? I always seem to get the Pit Fiend in the forest, but have gotten Rohini or the Eye Tyrant in the dungeon.

The chance of getting the challenge of the gods is also a great little touch.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Seems to be random whether you get forest or dungeon.

As for boss, Pit Fiend is the only option for the forest.
  • uedajiruuedajiru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I havnt played this game much for awhile anyway, waiting for module 3 really, but i saw this advertised and i just had to come back and try it out. Just great work really, mad eme smile all the way though , was comedy gold and hit that dnd nerd inside me.

Really its so fresh, dont make this go away forever, keep it around, add it to the dungeon editor or somthing just keep it in the game as its such a nice breath of fresh air to go and play somtimes. Btw i just love how your characters dont animate when moving around, just so well done.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've managed to play this event about 100 times with many characters. Once a unique event occurred during one of these. While my party was putting the beatdown on the Nasher boss, the two Nasher minions, left alone since they don't do much, used a couple of scrolls and then they ONE HIT me and and a couple other's. We found it quite humorous. :o

What was the spell they used and where can I get some!!! :confused:
  • aldurzaldurz Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    This event has had me laughing, mocking the DM voice each time we rescue the princess, and shaking my head with a smirk at the chickens. Of all the events thus far I have enjoyed this one the most. It was well put together, the rewards are within reach of all players, but most of all it speaks to the PnP DM in me... and I've had to record it for my friends who haven't downloaded it yet.

Especially for the part about "Just pretend the red dice are goblins and the blue dice are orcs", I can't tell you how much that hit home. Back before I could afford miniatures, that was an average tactic on DnD nights back in Ad&d. Lastly, I came to the Gazebo and mouthed profanities to myself. I saw the dead bodies and mumbled something that were it intelligible would have clearly been "gazebo of doom!".

https://web.duke.edu/DRAGO/humor/gazebo.html (and this was posted about on page 16 from a different site)

I like many many others thus far -beg- for this to be a regular part of the game. Something people can avoid if they don't like the animations and "cutesy" feel, but for the rest of us can revisit and laugh at what I would deem the greatest piece of visual/audio eye candy in the DnD genre.
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    did you notice the arrow sticking out of one of the posts on it Aldurz? thats the part that made me almost fall out of my chair laughing
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited April 2014
    A small request, would love to see a simple animation when the Adorable Pocket Pet is activated, instead of just having words like "Ahhhh! So cute!"/"Relax". Something like the Tymora Lucky Coin would be great! Not tossing the pet in the air I mean... Have it appear and disappear in puffs of smoke or something.. :D
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Very, very nice event, and with the available dungeons and layouts not feeling as a grind.

BUT

It would be nice if you could extend the event over the weekend. Many people don't have much time during the week. Work and kids and stuff.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • ipwnu1ipwnu1 Member Posts: 89
    edited April 2014
    I really enjoyed the event. The tasks were fun, DM voice really made me feel like I'm playing a DnD game(something this game lacks in) and overall I was never bored even though I ran the whole thing about 25 times on 2 different chars. The rewards were reachable even if you are veeeeery unlucky with the drop rates(most of us) which is a much welcome change. Excellent work Cryptic.
  • chronologic010chronologic010 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nice to see a NEW event?? We are being overwhelmed with events lately while on the other hand the game is still full of glitches and bugs. NW/Cryptic's reply to this is that they have a team for everything and we just have to be patient on things to be fixed...
    Dunno how PW and Cryptic hierarchy works but at my work, myself as ICT can be put in several other jobs as well...
    Fixing bugs&glitches that can be exploited (which is against ToS) is NOT a priority it seems...

Shouldn't the devs be more focussed on repairing this game then on what they are doing now?

CN DD glitch? MC glitch? Not to mention the lag and latency a new event brings...
    Should there be awesome gear or items to be gained ok but thats just the case... The loot is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!
    Nothing can be gained which they couldn't implement in the game otherwise...

Complaints about Shar and Dread dailies being boring after 2 weeks are not listened to, yet they stick their time in creating useless and louzy events like CTA and Respen's Game. (not even mentioning the glitches and flaws of the Foundry, << one of the most powerful/worthy aspects of this game)

And then this April Fools thing... A new race... Even vids with Sr. Lead Devs come online...
    Shouldn't those ppl be focussing on other stuff or are they just tricking us in "the majority" of things??
    This game really started out nice but now its showing aspects of just being "another one of those games"...

Here is one very let-down player speaking...

I really enjoyed playing this game for several months now but this is starting to get ridiculous and when u ask the devs about it u either get ignored on forum or a topic is removed/closed...

WTF are u guys doing??

PLZ Devs, reply with a quote or sumthin and make me wrong cz Im really starting to dislike a wonderful product youve created...
    (Then again, what is one person going to do against a great society/majority of players...)
  • infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd love this event (or a derivative of this event) to become semi-permanent, perhaps at a table in the Moonstone Mask or similar.

Also, the voice acting is superb - the best part being Respen's Dryad voice (sadly, this one is easily missed).
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • demidogzdemidogz Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    After a great journey, our heroes entered the Dungeon of Dread. Who knows what perils awaits them?

(applies to most public parties)

"I know, I know! The perils include a bunch of those everyday adds, some annoying keys at random spots, a so-called hero (typical moron) opening a mimic, saving some NPCs which are mostly pointless and also fighting against bosses which should already be dead but reused."
  • longbeardherolongbeardhero Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Bug?

Behind the witches cauldron, a player can fall off the "table" and land at the feet of the gamers.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nice to see a NEW event?? We are being overwhelmed with events lately while on the other hand the game is still full of glitches and bugs. NW/Cryptic's reply to this is that they have a team for everything and we just have to be patient on things to be fixed...
    Dunno how PW and Cryptic hierarchy works but at my work, myself as ICT can be put in several other jobs as well...
    Fixing bugs&glitches that can be exploited (which is against ToS) is NOT a priority it seems...

Shouldn't the devs be more focussed on repairing this game then on what they are doing now?

CN DD glitch? MC glitch? Not to mention the lag and latency a new event brings...
    Should there be awesome gear or items to be gained ok but thats just the case... The loot is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!
    Nothing can be gained which they couldn't implement in the game otherwise...

Complaints about Shar and Dread dailies being boring after 2 weeks are not listened to, yet they stick their time in creating useless and louzy events like CTA and Respen's Game. (not even mentioning the glitches and flaws of the Foundry, << one of the most powerful/worthy aspects of this game)

And then this April Fools thing... A new race... Even vids with Sr. Lead Devs come online...
    Shouldn't those ppl be focussing on other stuff or are they just tricking us in "the majority" of things??
    This game really started out nice but now its showing aspects of just being "another one of those games"...

Here is one very let-down player speaking...

I really enjoyed playing this game for several months now but this is starting to get ridiculous and when u ask the devs about it u either get ignored on forum or a topic is removed/closed...

WTF are u guys doing??

PLZ Devs, reply with a quote or sumthin and make me wrong cz Im really starting to dislike a wonderful product youve created...
    (Then again, what is one person going to do against a great society/majority of players...)

Those that fix bugs are not the same as those that create new content. Keep saying that to yourself and maybe it will sink in - Also, as a business, they cannot stop developing new content, so that option is right out. Lastly, keep in mind that squashing a bug may not be as easy as you think it is - for all we know the process of addressing said issues is already underway, and it's simply a matter of tracking down the root cause in order to fix it, which can be time consuming.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like it. Would be even more awesome with an epic version of it.

Rewards are nice too.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I also think this has been the best event ever.

Over two evenings, I was able to obtain enough dice to buy a pocket pet and a slime, though I got a BoE pocket pet in the chest of the last run I needed to do. I know it's still on for another day, but limited time and all. I had a blast with it.

I noticed that the boss drop consumable was always Dew. I don't know if that was supposed to be randomized.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
This discussion has been closed.