test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Event Preview: Respen's Marvelous Game

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    It was hilarious hearing the GM do all the monster & NPC voices, too.

Seriously THIS. Hearing the voice of Knox doing the role of the princess, complete with high pitched voice. Had me falling out of my chair dying.

Actually the whole event is a complete riot. The tabletop feel is perfect. Making our characters look like painted miniatures, complete with dramatic pose and base. Is absolutely priceless.

Toss in random maps, random mobs, and the sneaky random mimic, and the whole thing has me grinning from ear to ear. Best event EVAR!!!!

Off to get some dramatic miniature screen shots!!
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If only one event could return every year, I have to say this is the one.

Now Cryptic has 1 year to make it even more awesome.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dardove wrote: »
    If only one event could return every year, I have to say this is the one.

Now Cryptic has 1 year to make it even more awesome.

We need glass bead counters to represent stuff, and maybe some mismatched pewter figures as well.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • devaneiodevaneio Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I love this event so much!
    I felt like refreshed.

Oh chikens <3
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I cannot do this event justice on my own at the wiki.
    Contributions would very be welcome at http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Respen's_Marvelous_Game

I do wish the Crystal Dice were auto-pickup. Trying to click them when some random stranger is standing on top of them is frustrating.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Having played the event for a few more hours I just have to say , it is a really really good event ,I love the premise of being a figure in a tabletop game , I really like the random nature of the skirmish , the DM voiceover is really funny , the Dryad's voice lol but best of all is the ability to purchase bound versions of the top rewards from the event store ,the only negative thing I can even think of is that for some reason I seem to be suffering minor latency or lag when in the event map but nothing that makes it unplayable , awesome work developers , LOVE IT!.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    valwryn wrote: »

The prize is awesome.......don't know about the event. ;)

Coolest Skirmish EVER lol

I can't stop playing this one... heheh I love it.
  • runes2001runes2001 Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2014
    Video first impressions of this event... In our opinion the best event Neverwinter has done. Seriously why are you reading this and not playing?! Now excuse me but I've got to run it a few hundred more times before the morning.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2LVYOfHQbs
  • diachr0ndiachr0n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Love the event-- brilliant work.

BUT-- running it on during the weekdays only is a bit bewildering. Yes, I get the April 1st timing for April Fools, but I don't think I'm alone when I say I would have preferred a traditional over-the-weekend event.

The way it is now (Tues--Thu) I won't have the opportunity to grind out enough dice for the companion. Not the end of the world, but annoying, to be sure.

PWE: Schedule your events on the weekends, please.
  • sigwald01sigwald01 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Too much awesome stuff for one day! Respen's game was a great idea and a blast to play....and the cube mount had me rolling!
    Volaticum Letum
    edited April 2014
    Extend the time of this event .
    PLEASE!
    Weekend players deserve more time.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    . . . I would like to see this extended too. I have been looking forward to this new mini-game but am very disappointed to see it being only a 4 day event, especially falling during a time when we're having a lot of family health issues and other personal matters. I'm hoping to see this become a regular mini-game and skirmish, playable at any time. Not just as a promotional thing.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A lot of fun although the first run I did on my 60 DC with a lv 6, 10, 18 and 42. Of course we wiped a few times. One I do the skirmishes spec'd with powers for dps and not heal. So I was drawing aggro which was very frustrating. I'm guessing would have seen similar results with CTA events with such a PUG. Still was a blast though.
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    stah01 wrote: »
    only 3 dice after doing the first run through.. for an even thats only 2 days the dice drops kind of suck.

Yeah, 15 runs for the slime pet took me just under 4 hours. If you don't have anything better to do it isn't that bad but if you've got other time commitments (work, family, etc) you'll probably be able to squeeze out one, maybe two, over the course of the event.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Can't say enough about this event. By far the best skirmish we've seen in NW. Although it's only going on for a few days, perhaps they can bring it back with even more dungeons and areas! Such endless possibilities.

Love, love, love it!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just wanted to say that suggestions on changing events must have been heard. This event was done right.

1. You can buy the companion and pocket pet by just playing. No more playing the event a hundred times and coming up empty.

2. The event is random. You never know what you would run in to. I wish dungeons were done this way.

Hopefully this trend continues in future events. Hats off on a good job.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Agreed on both counts. Awesome job.

Hilarious voice acting as the DM tries to do women's voices. Perfect for April Fools.
    Green Slime and the (much requested) Gelatinous Cube mount, also perfect.

I look forward to the next one of these.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
    edited April 2014
    screenshot_2014_04_02_00_15_07.jpg
    First time I found the beholder:
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is an absolute blast. My sides were hurting from the orcs-turned-chickens, and I'm so glad to see a gelantinous cube. It isn't D&D without one! I certainly hope we start seeing them (and beholders) in regular play. Now I remember why we feared the cubes so much.

The randomness was a *great* idea. I'd like to see it taken even further if possible, but this was terrific. It was nice not knowing exactly what we would face, although I wish the fights were a bit tougher to discourage players from rushing forward alone just to farm it as quickly as they can.

The voice-overs are a riot. When not in a group of in-a-rush farmers, it was a joy to listen to them. I wonder if there is a way to get people to slow down and just enjoy it -- maybe an optional non-farmable instance?

Someone must like GameMastery fold-out maps (I have quite a few so I can't complain). The maps are a lot fancier than those in my P&P group, which consist of either a chalkboard or whiteboard.

One little nit: the cat companion doesn't have a stand. I pretended it was one of the old Grenadier lead figurines (I know I'm dating myself).

Finally, it's nice to see some classic D&D monsters again (looks over at the 1E and 2E books on the bookshelf). I'm hoping for some displacer beats, umber hulks, water weirds, ochre jellies, and purple worms someday.

And last but not least, Xorns!!!! (grin)
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I will add my voice to the chorus of kudos for this event. The concept is very well thought out. The random challenges, and encounters are excellent, keeps the play entertaining and less grindy. I certainly hope to see this event again next year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    1. This event was well thought out and seriously fun. The idea of the whole boardgame feel was fantastic.
    2. The event flowed and was not dull. The DM narration was a definite plus.
    3. Being able to win the companion awards as well as buy them made the grind much less painful. (GREAT JOB HERE)
    4. The encounters really reminded me of 80s pen and paper D&D as I remember it.

Rating 9/10

Great job dev team. You guys deserve a serious pat on the back for this event.

Best Wishes,

StevenX
    Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR
  • xandria68xandria68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited April 2014
    I absolutely love the concept for this event. Very original. This has been my favorite event so far & I started playing in the middle of the summer festival last year. My guildmates thought that I was pranking them when I was talking about it in teamspeak. I finally got them to join in & so far great reviews from all. Great work Devs.
    @Xandria68

Characters: Raevyn Martok, Xiomara Silverstar, & Xandria Ma'Litoff

@Xandria268
    Characters: Avigayle Silveroak, & Jinx Brimstone

I am Xan. Xan I am.
  • truckulatruckula Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I will add my voice to the chorus of kudos for this event. The concept is very well thought out. The random challenges, and encounters are excellent, keeps the play entertaining and less grindy. I certainly hope to see this event again next year.
    Next year? Fish that, I want it again next month!!
    btw are pocket pets single use items like the coins?
    ddfuv.jpg
    Click banner for the Dragon Dogs Family guild page.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "Not *bck* chickens! Was *bck* orcs!"

I was dying.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I did get a kick out of hearing SGT Knox imitate all the voices.
    Loved the little touches like characters, enemies, and companions all got their own little pad to ride around on!
    The enemies changing often, the board changing, very cool.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Overall I thought it was amusing. If you could make epic dungeons procedurally generated I would take those graphics 24/7 to get that =) I kind of liked looking over walls.

I wish you could choose an epic difficultly one that gave twice the dice. Felt like the difficulty was tuned to trivial compared to CTA, and I am not claiming CTA destroys people. Spent most of the time just running through stuff. Maybe the one size fits all tuning isn't best?

Took 2 hours of grinding with AFKs to get the 36 coins for pocket pet.
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Seriously THIS. Hearing the voice of Knox doing the role of the princess, complete with high pitched voice. Had me falling out of my chair dying.

Actually the whole event is a complete riot. The tabletop feel is perfect. Making our characters look like painted miniatures, complete with dramatic pose and base. Is absolutely priceless.

Toss in random maps, random mobs, and the sneaky random mimic, and the whole thing has me grinning from ear to ear. Best event EVAR!!!!

Off to get some dramatic miniature screen shots!!

You're right, I just could not keep from smiling,

And it really felt just like playing D&D too. I was just going... wow... this is great.

I played it over and over again, and it not never got tiring either. I think I actually forgot to pick up my treasure from the chest and boss mobs a couple times.

And the Green Slime is an excellent pet. I watch a GWF with one, and the thing just sucks the monsters up to him just like the Cubes do. It was like his own personal crowd control. I won one, and bought one.

This event/skirmish is just a total win across the board.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Best event, loving it !! Hope to see some of this in the dungeons as well. Really nice job!
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    On a scale of 1 to 5 I'll give it a 9! By way of comparison Tymora's - on a scale of 1 to 99 got a 5.

D & D players playing D & D playing D & D. how cool is that?
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree , hopefully they will expand on this event in future and add a whole load more of the random encounters and a bunch of new settings , this event has so many possibilities and is pure win.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
This discussion has been closed.