test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Black Ice Grind + Companions in PvP

morentharmorenthar Member Posts: 2,500 Arc User
Grinding Black Ice just so you can outgun someone is a bad idea. Crafting permanent items from Black Ice? That I could get behind. We want content, PvE and PvP maps more accurately. Not ANOTHER grind.

Companions in PvP is a really bad idea as well, unless you impose very careful restictions. The one that is top of my and absolutely essential:

Do not allow gear to augment any pet outside of a player's summoned active companion. You will absolutely ruin the game. That point might seem obvious, but in case it isn't, JUST DON'T ALLOW IT. BAD BAD BAD :)
Main: Syndul The Slick - MI Saboteur
Post edited by morenthar on

Comments

• Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Allowing companions in open pvp area is bad idea by default, because it will separate p2w and f2p players even more. Just a fully loaded stone gives huge amount of stats. Also, consider all those insanely powerful active bonuses.

Black Ice grind - as I said before - farm black ice to get a gear to be able to farm black ice to keep your gear good enough to be able to farm black ice. Stupid.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree with both of these points and these are my primary disappointments with the current implementation of mod 3. The balance changes...ehh fine, I'll get used to it, but another dull grind and a massive imbalance in PvP when you've just introduced tenacity to try and reduce those imbalanced is just daft.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    v1rus89v1rus89 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2014
    The idea of companions in PvP is terrible, especially augment ones.
    Virus, Enemy Team.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    v1rus89 wrote: »
    The idea of companions in PvP is terrible, especially augment ones.

Agree 100%. This is a HORRIBLE idea. I cant say it enough.

Like mentioned above, companions provide SO many benefits its insane. I think making it so that once flagged for PVP your companions become inactive - like in pvp zones.

Once you remove the pvp flag, you get the benefits again so players that want to do the PVE portions get to do so with their companions, players that want to pvp primarily, dont have companions.

Its a win win for everyone...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    I think making it so that once flagged for PVP your companions become inactive - like in pvp zones.

Once you remove the pvp flag, you get the benefits again so players that want to do the PVE portions get to do so with their companions, players that want to pvp primarily, dont have companions.

Agreed completely. Was going to suggest the same.
  • Options
    xxcage1xxcage1 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Agree 100%. This is a HORRIBLE idea. I cant say it enough.

Like mentioned above, companions provide SO many benefits its insane. I think making it so that once flagged for PVP your companions become inactive - like in pvp zones.

Its a win win for everyone...

100% agreed
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    a massive imbalance in PvP when you've just introduced tenacity to try and reduce those imbalanced is just daft.
    This is my biggest concern and this is from someone who likes PVP and isn't just trying to get my dailies and done.

I mean seriously why even add tenacity (which I hate the way it is implemented) just to add something to negate it.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2014
    I lost all of my excitement for module 3 once I heard that companions were going to be useable in PvP. I haven't even logged in since the patch notes went up. Module 3 sounded really, really good too. I pretty much lost all interest in PvE after Artifacts from Mod 2 trivialized the dungeon delving experience. Coming out with an expansion where I have no interest in participating in either the PvE or the PvP is a death blow in my interest for this game, especially when another great looking game with awesome PvP is right around the corner.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is actually a great feature and very much alike the good old playerkilling mmo-style. I doubt many of you are old enough to understand this, but having a companion aiding the actual player in combat against other players is something really common amongst mmo's. I am glad NW is getting that feature, aswell. Besides flagging for PvP is optional, if one doesn't like it > don't participate.

Imagine open world PvP in SWTOR without companions, it would not be as good. (Icewind Dale, reminds me of Illum from SW big time)

• Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is actually a great feature and very much alike the good old playerkilling mmo-style. I doubt many of you are old enough to understand this, but having a companion aiding the actual player in combat against other players is something really common amongst mmo's. I am glad NW is getting that feature, aswell. Besides flagging for PvP is optional, if one doesn't like it > don't participate.

Imagine open world PvP in SWTOR without companions, it would not be as good. (Icewind Dale, reminds me of Illum from SW big time)

I don't think many people mind the companion fighting with you part (excluding the ioun stone since that doesn't actually help your fight; just boosts your stats) as much as the implication that the active bonuses will be available as well. If augment pets and active bonuses were disabled, I doubt there will be many complaints, if any.
  • Options
    kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I totally agree , companions in pvp will make it worse than it is ( i only mean the bonus given by the companion)

One more thing that i want your opinions about it , is the inspection option , specially now with the new competetive open pvp world !
    It is just not logical to inspect and see all the gear /enchant/stat of the player that you want to attack .
    i understand that dungeons are about team work and we need to know what GS have our team mate ; So why not only display the GS sum insteed of all the details ?

cordially.

PS: english is not my native language so be indulgent !
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I too am relatively certain that having an active companion fighting with the players is the least of everyone's concerns. I even think that having companion battles would be neat if and only if the actual power creep concerns of augment companions and active bonuses are addressed.

When active companion bonuses were introduced, a few players drooled over the idea of how much mileage they thought they'd be able to get out of stacking certain bonuses in PvP and everyone else fell all over themselves asking for reassurance that these bonuses would not be active in PvP, because getting the best companion bonuses is an expensive prospect in terms of either money or time. It was a huge relief for most of the PvP population to hear that they did not need to be concerned about active companions.

Is my summoned dire wolf a huge threat to players? Not really, because no matter how well I gear him up, he's got low damage and not many hitpoints, and is controlled by an AI script.

Is the interrupt chance I get from having him in an active slot a huge advantage to me over other players who don't have that? Oh yes, it sure is. It procs like crazy.

Is there a huge difference between players with no augment pet at all, those with a moderately equipped one, and those with 3 more BiS items and 6 more slots to place their choice of rank 10s? You bet it is.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    PVP pets FTW
  • Options
    godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    All I know is that I probably wont be be spending much time in this new area for a long while if the companion thing goes through cause there is no way I am going to be able to spend the time/money to get all those in good shape with top tier stuff. I already have enough to worry about with normal enchant slots and artifacts. Maybe I could be enjoy the new area more in ~ 1 year after I grinded enough to be competitive with those extra additions.
  • Options
    kuyabaykuyabay Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2014
    I have to chime in here and say this is a terrible idea. I have 3 alts, leveling a 4th specifically for pvp and mod 3. I have spent ridiculous amount of ad on pets on my current toons, and have so far only bought the augment for the 4th. While I have spent a lot on pets, I still want a somewhat leveled playing pvp field (as much as possible anyway). Adding pets will mess up the whole pvp scene. This is just plain bad and will more likely drive players away than encouraging them to pull out their wallets.

Be warned Cryptic, this is bad. Just hearing this has made me lose interest in mod 3 and may just halt my leveling of a toon specifically for that mod.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Worst idea ever. Pets in pvp are just going to ruin it. Remove the active companion bonus, forbid augment pets to be summoned, leave the active companion doing its own stuff, attacking other pets, players, etc (again: no active bonus) and we have a deal. Otherwise the open pvp map is just dead for me. I don't want such an arms race, this is just not a realistic amount of farming to do just to be able to keep up.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Don't really care. PVP is imbalanced anyways with GWFs and perma-TRs ruling the scene
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My direwolf just killed a perma TR in stealth when I happened to walk past a fight. GG.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    lucidproph3cylucidproph3cy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    My direwolf just killed a perma TR in stealth when I happened to walk past a fight. GG.

LMAO nice. I mentioned this in a thread literally a few weeks ago when someone called to add companions in pvp. All i said was wait till the expansion with open world pvp where not just mounts make a different but the companion will. No one really paid attention to it and now here we are.

Open world pvp broken, pvp broken, pve unbalanced and broken, new black ice sets broken like really i gotta farm ice to keep it up seriously. i have lost a lot of hope.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Wow retread your post please.. Your complaining about people with epic grade mounts creating imbalance.. Now you want to add augmented companions. Wait for it... Yeah brilliant idea. More imbalance for people that can't afford blue stones vs green stones vs no stones. More GS imbalance through pets they can add over 3k gear score. So no letting companions in pvp is a broken idea. However if you wait for open world pvp in module 3 guess what you will have your companions and mounts and groups of players crazy geared player ganking other players because of no Elo system. I'm just waiting for the complaints about that.

But really think about it. Usually people that invest in epic mounts pay a little money to make other things easier. So I would say there is an association between people that buy epic mounts usually have a rather decently geared character. Not always true though.

posted this on the 15th of this month. called it
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Nobody is even mentioning the fact that you can use regular healing potions? Or the fact that you have to use injury kits when you die? But honestly, I had a lot of fun with the pvp so far. I usually suck at PvP, but I killed this one CW 3 times, lol.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    sylvialynnsylvialynn Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Should be flag for PvP, lose use of companions till you unflag. It would even things out and even reduce lag.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kreatyve wrote: »
    Nobody is even mentioning the fact that you can use regular healing potions? Or the fact that you have to use injury kits when you die? But honestly, I had a lot of fun with the pvp so far. I usually suck at PvP, but I killed this one CW 3 times, lol.

There are already some feedback in the official thread (mine for example).
  • Options
    dangerzone91dangerzone91 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So, today I tested the morning with my friend, he sylph + will + 20% tenacity, i used 15 repels, only 3 worked, Entangling force a joke ! .... Please do not post these insane bonus, imagine the GWF with stone focus HP + bear + Moonshae etcs etcs. Artifact +1200 / +1200 artifact .... 55k ~ 60k easy!. 5k + tenacity .... maybe 40% reduc CC, 40% dmg reduc. My humble opinion.
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Whats the difference between the necessity to have e.g. a perfect vorpal or tenacity gear to compete and and the necessity to have a e.g. badger?
    Before M3 it was a race for items and after M3 it is a race for items.

Just because you do not want to spend money/time on a augment pet does not entitle you to forbid this to others.
    If you were right the same could be said about weapon enchantments, as they unbalance the game as such as well. Only there are fewer weapon enchants that are useful.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    psychaos999psychaos999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Whats the difference between the necessity to have e.g. a perfect vorpal or tenacity gear to compete and and the necessity to have a e.g. badger?
    Before M3 it was a race for items and after M3 it is a race for items.

Just because you do not want to spend money/time on a augment pet does not entitle you to forbid this to others.
    If you were right the same could be said about weapon enchantments, as they unbalance the game as such as well. Only there are fewer weapon enchants that are useful.

I agree wholeheartedly. Why shouldn't I use something I worked for or paid for?
  • Options
    millertime197933millertime197933 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I like the idea of a new dynamic where your toon is fully powered. This game has been out long enough where you don't have to spend cash to get ahead. Hell I make more AD off leadership and farming then I would coughing up ten bucks here and there to buy zen to change to AD. Everyone can farm AD and items to sell for AD and get the companions/gear/enchants to make their toon competitive. With 8 toons, all with leadership 20 (i've been playing since the beginning), I easily make just short of a million AD per week. If someone who has been playing for a year has an advantage over someone who has been playing for 3 months...then I think that is quite ok. I don't characterize this game as pay to win, it is pay to speed. The key to making AD in this game is using your earned AD to buy extra character slots and then focusing on leadership with those toons. For me, x8 toons fund the two or three that I play at a time. Why should I be limited for working for my stuff and put on the same playing field as someone else who hasn't gotten there yet? This will also balance those folks that have one decked out PVP toon who have no companions and no items on those companions ( to include augments) with those PVE players who are balanced across the board.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I like the idea of a new dynamic where your toon is fully powered. This game has been out long enough where you don't have to spend cash to get ahead. Hell I make more AD off leadership and farming then I would coughing up ten bucks here and there to buy zen to change to AD. Everyone can farm AD and items to sell for AD and get the companions/gear/enchants to make their toon competitive. With 8 toons, all with leadership 20 (i've been playing since the beginning), I easily make just short of a million AD per week. If someone who has been playing for a year has an advantage over someone who has been playing for 3 months...then I think that is quite ok. I don't characterize this game as pay to win, it is pay to speed. The key to making AD in this game is using your earned AD to buy extra character slots and then focusing on leadership with those toons. For me, x8 toons fund the two or three that I play at a time. Why should I be limited for working for my stuff and put on the same playing field as someone else who hasn't gotten there yet? This will also balance those folks that have one decked out PVP toon who have no companions and no items on those companions ( to include augments) with those PVE players who are balanced across the board.

what about those new players that are trying to grind for their black ice? All your doing is creating a larger gap between the old and new thus pushing them out of the game. Your killing your fresh players everytime they add something like this in. Some may stick around but most will leave because the P2W attitude.

And what happens when they nerf leadership? i know they will eventually
  • Options
    irked01irked01 Banned Users Posts: 91
    edited March 2014
    Screw this guess I will go find another game, not gonna stay with a game when the devs don't even know WTF they are doing.