Install Arc

Stating a Cleric

refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
edited March 2014 in The Temple
So you roll a Dwarven Cleric and you get

STR 14
WIS 20
CHA 14

Every 10 levels, do you add to WIS and CHA, WIS and STR, or split it evenly?

So you end up with campfire boost, with:

[COLOR="#000000"][FONT=Courier New]
STR  17      21      19
WIS  27  or  27  or  27
CHA  21      17      19
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Which do you choose, and why?

What if you rolled

STR 15
WIS 20
CHA 13

or with STR and CHA reversed?

Would you go for 22 and 16 in the secondaries, 18 and 20 or balance them again at 19 each?

Cheers!
~
Post edited by refracted0dawn on

Comments

• proyekcjaproyekcja Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So you roll a Dwarven Cleric and you get

STR 14
    WIS 20
    CHA 14

Every 10 levels, do you add to WIS and CHA, WIS and STR, or split it evenly?

So you end up with campfire boost, with:

[COLOR="#000000"][FONT=Courier New]
    STR  17      21      19
    WIS  27  or  27  or  27
    CHA  21      17      19
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Which do you choose, and why?

What if you rolled

STR 15
    WIS 20
    CHA 13

or with STR and CHA reversed?

Would you go for 22 and 16 in the secondaries, 18 and 20 or balance them again at 19 each?

Cheers!
    ~
    FOR PVE: I'd recommend maximizing CHA as much as you can. You really need the cooldown reduction to be able to cast heals when needed in the more chaotic situations. Clerics often aim for around 4k Recovery for that, but the CHA and INT stats are so much more effective, as regardless of diminishing returns they remove 1% off the cooldowns per point. IMO it's better to have more CHA/INT and less STR, and compensate with higher crit stat over recovery (have them about equal to minimize loss due to diminishing returns).
    I'd even sacrifice a point in WIS for a point in CHA + a point in INT - you lose 1.5% healing, 1% damage, but gain 2% to cooldown reduction.

FOR PVP, I'd maximize WIS/STR to get as much power as possible in my heals before I die, and screw the cooldown reduction, I seldom survive long enough to cast again anyhow, and if I do, I'd often spend 5 seconds prone after cooldown to GF/GWF pronespam...

atm, I feel like PVP on a DC is a form of torture, so I'd optimize PVE and avoid PVP. Do GG pve, then continue to help with the giant/catapults to get 500 glory/1 seal of victory per day to build your pvp artifact, and you never have to deal with being the useless underclass in a broken pvp game.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    proyekcja wrote: »
    FOR PVE: I'd recommend maximizing CHA as much as you can. You really need the cooldown reduction to be able to cast heals when needed in the more chaotic situations. Clerics often aim for around 4k Recovery...

Have to disagree on this. Divert no points to CHA (not a necessary focus) and do not stack Recovery to 4k. Diminishing returns are brutal on Recovery, so anything much beyond 3k is wasted.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    FOR PVE: I'd recommend maximizing CHA as much as you can. You really need the cooldown reduction to be able to cast heals when needed in the more chaotic situations. Clerics often aim for around 4k Recovery for that, but the CHA and INT stats are so much more effective, as regardless of diminishing returns they remove 1% off the cooldowns per point.

IMO it's better to have more CHA/INT and less STR, and compensate with higher crit stat over recovery (have them about equal to minimize loss due to diminishing returns).

I'd even sacrifice a point in WIS for a point in CHA + a point in INT - you lose 1.5% healing, 1% damage, but gain 2% to cooldown reduction.

Interesting, as the above was for my Dwarven AC Battle Cleric, whereas my first character is a level 60 Tiefling Anointed Champion for the WIS, CHA and INT bonuses. I knew nothing about the mechanics at the time (only playing for 2 months), but it worked well for my Aasimar Druid in Infinity Engine's Icewind Dale II (sort of a Baldur's Gate type game). And I was role-playing the Tiefling as the daughter of the Heroes of Icewind Dale, a Tiefling mother and an Aasimar father. :rolleyes:

But the character rolling system in NW is nerfed - it's neither a properly random roll nor is it assigning points from a pool. So you cannot get high scores in WIS, CHA and INT at the same time. So you don't see Dwarven Thieves with 20 CON, nor Elven Priests with 20 DEX.

She does have lots of Silvery enchants, though, as I was going for cool down. Just a shame she could not start with 16 INT. She started with 16 WIS and CHA, 10 INT (IIRC) and a decent STR, as I figured that would give more balanced bonuses than 18 WIS, 14 CHA, 10 INT and higher STR. So I leveled just WIS and CHA, but maybe I could respec for more INT? I would like to be able to do more damage as well. I think I have over-speced her healing and buffing.

atm, I feel like PVP on a DC is a form of torture, so I'd optimize PVE and avoid PVP. Do GG pve, then continue to help with the giant/catapults to get 500 glory/1 seal of victory per day to build your pvp artifact, and you never have to deal with being the useless underclass in a broken pvp game.

Man, I hear you! We are the most brittle class and it's madness compared with Wizards in cloth and Thieves in leather! And the lack of damage we do is not even compensated for by the amount of healing - No Total hp restoration like with the old Heal spell. And we cannot wear plate mail, of course.

And in PvP they always seem to gang up on me straight away!

But then, I only do PvP for AD from Rhix.

This game REALLY needs some serious re-balancing. Clerics were often considered one of the most powerful classes in red box D&D, AD&D 1 and 2, 3.5 E and could buff enough to fight a Warrior and easily kill a Thief in melee. But they've gone too far the other way as we do the least damage and the healing is not all that, as most other characters have some way to heal and defend themselves and have potions, unless they play like idiots (and many do).

The Tiefling has Prestigious Exaltation, Invigorated Healing and lots of Feats for Temp hp. So if someone falls, I can revive them, use a divined Exaltation to heal, buff and give temp immunity, then a Divine Sunburst to extra heal and knock away minor threat, and then a divine Astral Seal or a Bastion of Health. Then they get more Invigorated healing when the Encounters wear off. The rest of the time they are buffed with Blessing of Battle, showered with temp hp from Sacred Flame and made immune and then healed by Annointed Army or Divine Armour. It only really works in a no level limit CTA with lower level characters. You can see massive healing then. But most level 60 Fighters don't get much damage unless they play really stupidly, as if they were Immortal Kamikazes, if you'll pardon the oxymoron. :)

But they often run away before I can do any of that and get killed again! Or run outside the circle to pick up minor treasure and die again. If it's a Warrior, I die myself as they are always in multiple cross-fire. So I gave up on them unless they can play as a team and I can stand behind them and buff. Most of the time, they charge off like it's a race. In the Defend the temple CTA, the level 50+ Fighters always go straight for the nodes and run on to the next one, and all the monsters follow them back to us. They are not even Summoning Nodes! They just need to be destroyed AFTER all the guardian monsters are dead! Not before!

So a lot of the time I am using Encounters to little or no effect just to build Action Points, and Sacred Flame just to build Divinity. Kamikaze Fighters can forget about it. I'd prefer to help Rangers, Rogues and Wizards who play as a team and have to be a little more cautious, and not expect to be really stupid and then get bailed out by me when they have committed suicide.

Thanks for the help!

~
    edited March 2014
    vorphied wrote: »
    Have to disagree on this. Divert no points to CHA (not a necessary focus) and do not stack Recovery to 4k. Diminishing returns are brutal on Recovery, so anything much beyond 3k is wasted.

So you would suggest putting all the points in STR and WIS?

What benefit would that have?

~
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Check Kaelac's guide. That guide is quite complete except cleric skills in depth discussion and pvp gameplay, i will complete that category if i am free. And there are no best rolls, just the optimum roll for each role of cleric.
  • spani4rdspani4rd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    The two places you don't want to place points as a PVE cleric is INT and DEX. STR is an awesome place to put points and you should max it. I went with STR/CHA when I was PVE specced. CHA makes life a lot easier when you're less geared, and although not needed once you're all geared it still provides the most additional benefit to help your teammates. If you don't like CHA then you're options become WIS which isn't great, it simply provides more dmg and healing, neither of which are especially important. CON is your final option, a lot of people would never go this but it scales very well and a cleric that stays alive is much more useful to party then a dead one, it also synergizes very well with miracle healer set if you end up using that.

for PVP you'd want to be CON/DEX almost for sure. CON is a must and if you wanted to try something else instead of DEX I supose you could think about either STR for more crit and stam regen or WIS for the dmg/heal bonus and added control resist.
    I've put 4 points in DEX currently an I'm getting a big 2% deflect chance :( Low starting DEX roll
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So you would suggest putting all the points in STR and WIS?

What benefit would that have?

~

Personally I like a mix of STR/WIS with a bit of CON thrown in.

- The benefit of STR is pretty obvious: crit chance (and a small amount of stamina regen).

- WIS is largely ignored in PvP, perhaps now more than ever thanks to Healing Depression, but it doesn't hurt that CC resistance is bundled with damage and heal power in that stat. It's a good bet unless your build demands a different distribution.

- CON is not as useful in PvE, but a respectable HP pool is essential for all classes in PvP.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

edited March 2014
    Thanks for all the advice - it is confusing for a ****.

Is there a thread where people have posted their builds?

~
  • theosymphanytheosymphany Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Navigating through vague tooltips and 'it's a trap' DC feats of NW is never fun. I'm sure you'll find my DC guide/resource to be of help. (just made a fresh update on everything so it's up to date).
    http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17-kaelac%E2%80%99s-guide-to-devoted-clerics-in-neverwinter/
    Kaelac Symphony LaggyGamerz Community
    Guild and guide info

Module 4 Comprehensive DC guide |Module 4 MoF CW Handbook |New! Scourge Warlock Guide| NW Numbers and Mechanics guide |Crit, Power and DPS guide | Dungeon Delving guide and more
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey, Kaelac, do you got your own tenacity set yet? And what do you think abt the black ice gear, is it worth taking? I am going to give up that entire set except for black ice weapon set as all profounds got no weapon set bonus and not worth taking unless to unlock the title.