test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: PVP Gameplay

badbotlimitbadbotlimit Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 175 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!
Two powerful groups have become dominant in Icewind Dale. These groups are looking for adventurers, like you, to aid them in furthering their agenda and harness the power of Black Ice.

Overview
When first starting out in Caer-Konig, you will be introduced to the Arcane Brotherhood and the Ten-Towners. Every day you adventure in Icewind Dale you will need to choose to sign a Mercenary Contract with one of these groups. You may break your contract and change "sides" if you need to. Keep in mind that while you can drop your Mercenary Contract you may not be able to pick up the other groups Mercenary Contract right away. There is a balance mechanic working to keep the sides balanced.

Faction Balance
There is a system, behind the scenes, that is working to keep the two sides balanced on the server and the zones. On the server level we keep track of the sides and will turn off a contact if an imbalance is detected. This will leave only one Mercenary Contract Contact available. Don’t worry though. The other sides Mercenary Contract Contact will come back when there is a balance once again. This has no affect on your ability to turn in your daily quests. On the zone level we move players to maps based on the balance of the zone. Me watch and maintain the zone balance at the point of entry to the zone from Caer Konig.
Remember: while you can drop your Mercenary Contract you may not be able to pick up the other faction right away.

Flagging and PVP
In Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley you will notice, on your main map, an area colored in dark red. This area is the PVP area. Players that enter this area will be flagged for PvP. There is a warning telling you that you are near a pvp area before you become flagged. At the point that you cross the pvp line you will be flagged.

A few things to note-
There is no way to flag or unflag for pvp other than entering the pvp area. Once you are flagged, you remain flagged until you visit a campfire, die, log out, lose or drop a Mercenary Contract or change maps.
PVP flagged players cannot be healed or resurrected by players that are not flagged for PVP.

PVP Areas
The PVP area of the map is where you can complete your PvP daily quests, compete for larger and richer Black Ice resources and even take part in a large PvP Heroic Encounter (currently disabled).

Your PVP flag will remain ON even outside of the PVP area. This means that you can enjoy many different types of PVP gameplay. Guild battles, Competitive pve, and the feeling of open world pvp.

This PvP is optional and is not required for progression in the PvE Icewind Dale Campaign, though participation can expedite harvesting Black Ice at a faster rate.

PVP Rewards
Players drop Black Ice when killed in PVP
Participation in PVP rewards progress in the PVP campaign

PVP Dailies
You can visit the PVP contact to pick up your daily quests.
Ten-Towners can talk with Rolf the Relentless
Arcane Brotherhood can talk with Noramos Battleheart

The daily pvp missions allow you to progress in the PVP campaign but they also allow for some interesting PVP gameplay. There are some daily missions that act as denial type objectives. Both factions are interested in what is down in the area most affected by the black ice corruption.

Note: If you drop your faction your PVP dailies will drop as well

PVP Heroic Encounter (Currently disabled)
We are working on a Heroic Encounter build specifically for large PVP gameplay. More information on that will be added here when we are ready to roll it out to Preview.

Known Issues:
Players are not currently dropping Scrimshaw tokens
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• badbotlimitbadbotlimit Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 175 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Feedback
    This is a huge addition to Neverwinter and we need your help to make it the best it can be. There are a ton of moving parts for faction based open pvp. We need to collect as much feedback as possible on gameplay, faction balance, rewards, and every other aspect of the new type of PVP content. Given that, we would like you to categorize and color code your feedback so we can sort it and act on it most effectively! Please use the below format to submit bugs/feedback.

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
    Topic: (Dailies, Faction Balance, Rewards, Heroic Encounter, PVP area Zone etc.)
    Please use “Bold” face text for the Type & Topic then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
    (Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Examples:
    Bug: Got moved to a different zone than my friends in the same faction
    I was on a team and didn’t get moved to the same zone as my team

There should be more elevated locations for me to snipe from.

Please play in every aspect of the PVP gameplay before giving feedback so that you get a good feel for that gameplay. Thank you again for all your help Adventurers! There is no doubt that the PVP community is the most passionate about the game and these additions. We look forward to hearing back from you! Also keep your eyes peeled for Devs to be on the Preview shard playing PVP with you!
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2014
    How does flagging for pvp affect your companions outside of pvp areas?
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Will Tenacity be in effect on the outside world pvp maps or is tenacity only used in arena
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Will Tenacity be in effect on the outside world pvp maps or is tenacity only used in arena

Tenacity is always in effect. Any time you do combat with another player or their companion you will benefit from tenacity.
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Does companions' active bonus benefit players in this pvp zone?
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • badbotlimitbadbotlimit Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 175 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    ranncore wrote: »
    How does flagging for pvp affect your companions outside of pvp areas?

As long as you are pvp flagged your companions inherit your dislike for members of the other faction and their companions.

While in combat your companion will fight anything that is not aligned with you.
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Tenacity is always in effect. Any time you do combat with another player or their companion you will benefit from tenacity.

Be able to fight other players companions? Sounds like a mess yet, a very interesting mess. Now I can finally use my Ioun for PvP purposes!

I'll have to reserve judgment on the companions being able to combat in PvP until I test it out for myself. It may not be a big deal or it may be a big problem. We'll just have to wait and see :)
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As long as you are pvp flagged your companions inherit your dislike for members of the other faction and their companions.

While in combat your companion will fight anything that is not aligned with you.

Lol what, does that mean that we can pvp with companion active bonuses on? How the hell is that balanced? Now don't get me wrong, i have quite a lot of epic pets on my two main characters, but it will only make the gear gap bigger and the skill requirements just moot.
    edited March 2014
    In Icewind Dale pvp, active companion bonuses are currently on as well as companions.
    At this point we need to get feedback on how that feels and adjust accordingly.

There were and still are discussions about companions in pvp. So far it has not been a bad experience to fight companions. In fact seeing companions duels has been pretty funny. The power of companion bonuses are a factor but one that we are watching very closely. part of this process is to get your feedback along with the pvp community on this and everyother aspect of this new pvp gameplay.
  • hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If companions can be used in PvP in anyway - I will quit the game. that includes the passive bonuses.

I spent millions of AD on buying and upgrading companions on my first PvE account. I spent many hours getting them to lvl 30 too.

I made a new char for PvP and I dont have any companions on that one and I cant move my companions from the first char. So If companions is gonna be used in PvP I will quit the game because Im not spending that amount of time and AD again to get companions on my PvP char.

Companions in PvP = Pay to win.
    No skill is needed.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Will the Faction Balance only account for the number of players or include other factors (like kill/death-ratio of the factions in a given instance)
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I only see one problem with companions in PvP. As of now companions are not P2W at all, but with these changes it may not be entirely P2W (Seeing that Purple companions are achievable through free play) it still takes a very long time to even get one blue or purple companion without opening your wallet.

I see some extremely easy ways to escape this future problem.

-Either make an alternative way to increase companion quality (Maybe something like sending them away for training for a week, real time)

OR

-Significantly decrease Companion upgrade cost

OR

-Change the currency for Companion upgrade, such as to gold, just like removing slotted Enchantments/Runes (Nobody removed enchantments back when it cost AD, now that it's gold it's uncommon to not safely remove unneeded enchantments)
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In Icewind Dale pvp, active companion bonuses are currently on as well as companions.

There were and still are discussions about companions in pvp. So far it has not been a bad experience to fight companions. In fact seeing companions duels has been pretty funny. The power of companion bonuses are a factor but one that we are watching very closely. part of this process is to get your feedback along with the pvp community on this and everyother aspect of this new pvp gameplay.

This is certainly very interesting *searches for cc/buff abilities on companions*, although I'd personally prefer a system closer to GG/Domination. As someone who likes to play multiple toons/classes/paragons this feel overwhelming. Now you'll probably need another (partial) set of companions for open world PVP and gear that complements it.

1) PVE gear/companions
    2) PVP gear
    3) Open World gear /companions

Too much.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I don't see many active companions casting their two spells being much an issue, most of them have spells that wouldn't affect the pvp balance too much, except a couple of pets with quite problematic ones (the rust monster debuff immediately comes to my mind), as long as long as we don't see everyone running around with an active augment pet. That would be very silly.

But allowing companion active bonuses in pvp? I have a very bad feeling about it. Now, sure, it will require some testing, but I think I have a few clues about the game enjoying both pve and pvp not to be really happy about that. There are some pets with really strong active bonuses that may change the whole pvp experience, such as the pseudodragon (endless dodges as long as you keep casting spells), the pet from a pack with 50% CC resist (don't remember the name), the will o whip, and I don't even want to imagine the kind of disaster a purple cantankerous mage on a GWF would be... PvP is all about stuns and prones, and with some active bonus pets, you will be able to negate the effects of tenacity and run into the old pvp issues and bring back stunlocks in game, at a much larger scale.

Now I understand that pets duelling can be fun. Ok, then, but disabling active bonuses and not allowing augments would be safe and wise not to run into endless balance issues.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014

some companions have to op active bonuses to work in pvp u need nerf this bonuses or make some of them to not work in pvp
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Please reconsider the companion thing, it's plain crazy :)
  • xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I like the companion idea! Finally more options to build your character!
  • dangerzone91dangerzone91 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So , Sylph+50% Control Resist / Will-O'-Wisp +25% Control Resist. What could be done only using stone without activation bonus.
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I personally like having a way to do PVP with companions. They are still being kept out of domination from what I understand. Something for everyone!
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • deads6667deads6667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    BUG: PVP for Control Wizards- Armor Penetration

Having just read all of the new patch notes/changes it is very disappointing to see that many control wizards abilities will not be getting the sorely needed fix to the bug that is making them currently not benefit from the Armor Penetration stat (Most Notably: Icy Rays, Ice Knife, Magic Missile the extra 2 strikes on 3rd Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Repel, Entangling Force and still others)

Without that fix control wizards will continue to be very sub-par against classes with high defense (no matter the wizards gear score), while still remaining effective against any class with a low defense score. This is a very frustrating dynamic right now to have some spells benefitting from ARP and many others not, in essence severely limiting our choices of play if we'd like to ever do reasonable damage in the PVP environment against much of the player base (those with high defense).

there are multiple threads on this topic already yet the problem is still ongoing with no fix in sight. More frustrating than the bug itself has been the lack of official acknowledgement or discussion on this current and ever-present issue for anyone playing a CW that has ever cast one of these spells at a Fighter class.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2014
    Including companions in PvP of any kind is a terrible, terrible idea.

When I consider the cost in time and money of buying, upgrading, and equipping 5 companions to stay competitive in PvP, and compare that cost to, say, the cost of a shiny, brand new MMO with a subscription fee where I can't be outgeared in a moments notice every update by any player willing to throw money at the system, the choice is obvious.

This is a terrible, terrible idea, and just hearing about it killed all my excitement for Module 3.

Please, reconsider this. My disappointment in the dev team for even entertaining the notion goes beyond the boundaries my language is capable of expressing.

The only - and I repeat ONLY - good thing to come of this will be the day 1 profits from the whales who want to completely dominate in open world PvP.

And they WILL completely dominate. If you don't have 5 epic companions, don't bother putting that flag on. Companions are more powerful even than epic weapon and armor enchantments.

There was a good reason that when the game launched, companions were not included in PvP - because they are NOT balanced for PvP, and they provide TO BIG an advantage to paying players. They call it "Pay to Win." No one cares in PvE because the content is trivially easy anyways, but coming up against another player who is VASTLY more powerful than you, not because of skill, or time invested, or knowledge of the game - but because on day 1 of an expansion he threw 200 dollars at the game - that's why people call games Pay to Win.

The original dev team was RIGHT not to include companions in PvP. Please don't make this mistake. I really like the combat in this game, but I simply won't be able to afford to remain competitive in PvP if this goes through.
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A thing to ask, so we cleric must forced to kill tons of enemy to gain more black ice instead of healing or supporting?? Is there any viable way for pvp clerics to effectively gain black ice other than doing pve or forced respec into dps cleric?
  • vibo21vibo21 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One thing that REALLY needs to be repaired...Don't nerf TR's dps, u can even boost it, but... u should nerf duration of TR's stealth. It isn't fair that TR is the only class, which can solo dungs (CN solo in one hour) and is the only class, which can hold the point in pvp against a few people all the time (so the whole pvp round can be loosed or won because of one perma stealth).

And the smaller thing is that so long duration time of stealth is so easy to achieve, what makes perma stealth not only very powerful, but also popular in the game.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

PVP Rewards
    Players drop Black Ice when killed in PVP

What is to stop this being used to farm ridiculous amounts of Black Ice?
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    What is to stop this being used to farm ridiculous amounts of Black Ice?

Maybe it just means any black ice that the player has managed to collect will drop and be lost from their inventory , surely it can't mean black ice will spawn from nowhere and drop from players who don't have any in their inventory , if it does mean that then yeah , don't see anybody taking advantage of that *sarcasm* .
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2014

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE DO NOT LET COMPANIONS AFFECT PVP.

Once flagged for pvp your companions should disappear. You can either PVE with them in the zone of PVP without them in the zone.

There is already a massive gear+enchant+now blackice+profession grind. I honestly think I might leave the game if NOW I have to farm companions too. I already had to get 5 blue stones for PVE when I used to do PVE alot more for all 5 of my 60s... Now with more sots, inactive bonuses.... YOull be FAR behind in pvp without maxed out companions....

I dont need to farm another 6 R10 enchants AND pay to upgrade companions this is just ridiculous and I know alot of people I spoke to REALLY dislike this. Many have sad is such a bad thing they doubt itll make iit to live.

SO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO!!!!! This would seriously be a tipping point for me, this module looks AWESOME please dont mess it up with companions...

PVE - companions
    PVP - Tenacity

Each have their own things that one must farm for.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i would like to see the companions in pvp thing in action before i voice any opinions about it. whether this would give companion collectors any real advantage over any hardcore pvp'er really would remain to be seen... but since the game is far from focused on solely any one dynamic, it would prove to be interesting to say the least. i like this kind of immersion of entering into a player-hostile area with my companions and having fun and as long as there are no major imbalances which could be used by unsavory characters to grief other players. i'm looking forward to testing this out.
    edited March 2014
    If people want a p2w area let them take their hundreds of dollars worth of companions to a tiny little p2w corner where I can do PvP with other PLAYERS away from them. If I'm not mistaken PvP stands for Player vs Player. Lets not joke about their being any skill involved in summoning a companion whose AI you have absolutely no control over. They are simply a way to pay for power.

I have absolutely no interest participating in PvP with companions, which pretty much ruins the entire expansion for me. I'd love an open world PLAYER vs PLAYER area.

It's not even worth bringing up how imbalanced some of the companion active bonuses are, because everyone who has them already knows it. It was pretty obvious from the beginning that companions were NEVER intended for PvP.

But they sure are expensive and people will pay for anything that gives them an edge.
  • zhaofuozhaofuo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    the only thing most people are skeptical about this is the augment companion. lets face it 90% of the time this would be the best companion to summon in a PVP world. it helps you overall rather than summon something that can be killed. nonetheless i hardly see any problems with this. active bonus are mostly subpar aside from the psuedo dragon
    edited March 2014
    zhaofuo wrote: »
    nonetheless i hardly see any problems with this. active bonus are mostly subpar aside from the psuedo dragon

With Tenacity included the Sylph , Will-o-wisp and cantankerous mage active bonuses all active at the same time will pretty much make the player immune to control effects at the same time as giving a 30% + control bonus against other players .