test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Black Ice Gear

ontheriverontheriver Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 71 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!
With any new zone we like to introduce a range of new gear for you to collect and use. Icewind Dale is no exception, and the armor and weapons you'll find in the grim north are some of the most powerful gear in the game.

Overview

Black Ice Gear
Black Ice is a precious resource found only in Icewind Dale. It is highly prized by the locals of the area, and is used as a currency for progress in the campaign, to buy new gear in the stores, and more!

Black Ice can be acquired in a number of ways. You can mine or harvest it from nodes you find while adventuring. You can earn some when completing missions or Heroic Encounters and get some as drops when defeating another player in Icewind Pass or Dwarven Valley.

In addition to its use as a currency, Black Ice is also used to make and empower armor. Base Black Ice gear is easily acquired - mostly bought from stores in Caer-Konig. This base gear can then be forged into more powerful armor using the new Black Ice Shaping profession.

You can make either Corrupted Black Ice items (with an emphasis on offensive stats) or Purified Black Ice items (with a more defensive emphasis). Black Ice gear is extremely powerful, and can be further empowered with Black Ice to make it even more so.

Black Ice Empowering
Empowering your items dramatically increases their stats. These gains are temporary, however, and as you fight with your newly empowered Black Ice armor and weapons, that power will gradually drain. Eventually your items will revert to a less powerful state and will need to be empowered again.

To empower your items, open your character page and right click on one of your Black Ice items. Select "Black Ice Empowerment." By moving the slider you can increase the power of your item. Click "Commit" and check out your new stats.

Black Ice Mining
Icewind Dale has seen a recent influx of Black Ice deposits, particularly throughout Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley. Special picks have been developed to extract Black Ice from these deposits, and while these picks are durable, they can be improved for temporary gains in mining speed and yield. Some say deposits are larger and more plentiful in places where conflict and tension runs high - certainly, larger deposits have been seen in open PvP areas.
Post edited by ontheriver on

Comments

• Options
    ontheriverontheriver Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 71 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Feedback
    We are looking for your feedback on Black Ice gear, how useful it is, how you feel about the item set bonuses, how empowerment feels, and anything else relating to this new and potent armor and the resource used to create it. When posting on this topic, we ask that you categorize and color code your comments so we can easily prioritize problems and act on your feedback! Please use the below format to submit bugs/feedback.

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
    Class: (Please enter the class that you played as during your testing here)
    Please use "Bold" face text for the Type & Class then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
    (Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Examples:
    Bug: Empowerment
    I empowered my armor and played for about 2 hours afterward, but the empowerment value never went down. I'm invincible!

I empowered my gauntlets with Black Ice, but it only lasted 2 hours, which seems too short.

Please try to create a few pieces of Black Ice gear and let us know how it feels. Thank you again for all your help Adventurers! We look forward to hearing back from you!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Reserved for future edits
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Reserved for future edits
  • Options
    yuccapalmyuccapalm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    What about some new Weapon/armor enchants? :P
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    yuccapalm wrote: »
    What about some new Weapon/armor enchants? :P

Yes new enchantments , here is basic info http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?635431-Official-Feedback-Thread-Black-Ice-Shaping-Profession
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    These new crafted enchantments require specific slots only found in some pieces of Black Ice gear. So they give you the ability to enhance other pieces of gear while still using your favorite weapon and armor enchants.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ontheriver wrote: »
    Some say deposits are larger and more plentiful in places where conflict and tension runs high - certainly, larger deposits have been seen in open PvP areas.

There was uncertainty whether or not the PVE/PVP campaign were strictly separated and this seems to be a point that could cause trouble because (organized) PVPers could have a distinct advantage over PVE focused (single) players. That's just a gut feeling though, but caught my eye nonetheless.
  • Options
    yuccapalmyuccapalm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    These new crafted enchantments require specific slots only found in some pieces of Black Ice gear. So they give you the ability to enhance other pieces of gear while still using your favorite weapon and armor enchants.

Too bad. I was hoping for new weapon/armor enchants because I'm unhappy with the look of my vorpal enchant :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    There was uncertainty whether or not the PVE/PVP campaign were strictly separated and this seems to be a point that could cause trouble because (organized) PVPers could have a distinct advantage over PVE focused (single) players. That's just a gut feeling though, but caught my eye nonetheless.

Yeah 24/7 pvp guild farming of the larger deposits , unless there is some limit on how much you can collect , even then whole areas are going to be off limits for regular non pvpers.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Yeah 24/7 pvp guild farming of the larger deposits , unless there is some limit on how much you can collect , even then whole areas are going to be off limits for regular non pvpers.

And you can bet those people will have the 5 BiS companions on day 1 all decked out with rank 10 enchants and BiS gear of their own.

The gap in power between the credit card heroes and the regular players will be HUGE when companions are involved in PvP.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ranncore wrote: »
    And you can bet those people will have the 5 BiS companions on day 1 all decked out with rank 10 enchants and BiS gear of their own.

The gap in power between the credit card heroes and the regular players will be HUGE when companions are involved in PvP.

I never even considered how companions active bonus would effect players but sheesh , will-o-wisp , sylph and cantankerous mage on enemy = pointless and very dead CW ... and that's just off the top of my head without bothering to check the list of actives , they need to make it so that when your character gets flagged for pvp companion goes poof as well as active bonuses.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Please explain to me why you have decided that in a PvE centric co-op built game, players should receive more black ice from doing PvP?

It truly makes no sense to basically force the PvE crowd to do PvP in order to gain items needed to make/empower new PvE gear quicker. Should it not be a 50/50 split between PvE and PvP in terms of gaining these items? Just because I don't want to deal <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> talking, griefing trolls who take getting killed way too personally, Im now going to have to work harder to get my items? This is not how you promoted this game. It was/is bad enough that getting into the GG T2 dungeon basically favors the PvP crowd. Now you're going to add items to make more powerful gear and give the advantage to the PvP crowd yet again.
  • Options
    brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited March 2014
    Black Ice Empowering
    Empowering your items dramatically increases their stats. These gains are temporary, however, and as you fight with your newly empowered Black Ice armor and weapons, that power will gradually drain. Eventually your items will revert to a less powerful state and will need to be empowered again.

Is this item decay? Meaning, you will have to keep farming Black Ice to get the higher stats?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    brazennl wrote: »
    Is this item decay? Meaning, you will have to keep farming Black Ice to get the higher stats?

Yes , you will buy the basic black ice gear then empower it using the new profession and the new black ice material but the longer you use the empowered gear the more its bonus stats wear down until you have to empower it again .
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    snotty wrote: »

Please explain to me why you have decided that in a PvE centric co-op built game, players should receive more black ice from doing PvP?

It truly makes no sense to basically force the PvE crowd to do PvP in order to gain items needed to make/empower new PvE gear quicker. Should it not be a 50/50 split between PvE and PvP in terms of gaining these items? Just because I don't want to deal <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> talking, griefing trolls who take getting killed way too personally, Im now going to have to work harder to get my items? This is not how you promoted this game. It was/is bad enough that getting into the GG T2 dungeon basically favors the PvP crowd. Now you're going to add items to make more powerful gear and give the advantage to the PvP crowd yet again.

I can give u a reason, a very good reason about your question.

PvE player already got greater chance and potential to get more AD than PvP players for nearly ONE YEAR!!!! So now we pvpers got higher potential of farming black ice and resell it to get more AD, is it fair now??

PvP players seldom do DD like PvE players except GG FC/DK, making PvE players richer and richer by selling gears etc, now the tide turns and you start to cry about unfairness??
  • Options
    iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jazzfong wrote: »

PvE player already got greater chance and potential to get more AD than PvP players for nearly ONE YEAR!!!! So now we pvpers got higher potential of farming black ice and resell it to get more AD, is it fair now??

I doubt they will make black ice tradeable , that would basically be like giving free AD to the most powerful pvp guilds ,it will be BoP or at least it hopefully will . Pve players have to work for their ad , not just stand around a zone that they have locked down and wait for stuff to spawn so they can sell it.

If it isn't already make Black ice that is mined in pvp areas BoP otherwise you are giving strong pvp guilds the ability to basically print AD since they can just lock a zone down and mine it and then sell the black ice and nobody in their right minds will try to enter the area because they will just die
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I doubt they will make black ice tradeable , that would basically be like giving free AD to the most powerful pvp guilds ,it will be BoP or at least it hopefully will . Pve players have to work for their ad , not just stand around a zone that they have locked down and wait for stuff to spawn so they can sell it.

Yes, they may camp, but anyone with enough experience in pvping except a sent cleric can kill him if he dare to camp the blace ice spawn.

Ever heard of guild vs guild?? This will solve the free AD issue to powerful pvp guilds. AND IF many guilds (maybe 10 guilds??) gangbanged EoA, ET, Choco etc.... They can do nothing i believe, if only if they are not fresh 60 and newbies.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Everyone has a chance to get black ice gear, doing pvp or pve. Chill out, people, as long as you aren't flagged for pvp you can just keep mining for stuff without having to deal with other people. This is just an incentive to do some pvp, that's all.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes, they may camp, but anyone with enough experience in pvping except a sent cleric can kill him if he dare to camp the blace ice spawn.

Ever heard of guild vs guild?? This will solve the free AD issue to powerful pvp guilds. AND IF many guilds (maybe 10 guilds??) gangbanged EoA, ET, Choco etc.... They can do nothing i believe, if only if they are not fresh 60 and newbies.

Assuming of course, as in real life, in-game 'arrangements' are not made...

Any non-BoP black ice in PvP areas will be abused by the strongest PvP guilds to a ridiculous extent.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    now the tide turns and you start to cry about unfairness??

This statement is factually hilarious.
    But I agree. PVP players don't really have their AD farm. Probably Black Ice will be BoP anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Assuming of course, as in real life, in-game 'arrangements' are not made...

Any non-BoP black ice in PvP areas will be abused by the strongest PvP guilds to a ridiculous extent.

So what. You're strong, you get rewarded for this. Seems legitimate.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »

Yeah. No.

In a way, stronger PVE players/guilds also get rewarded, because they can farm high-end dungeons (faster). But at the same time, they are not taking away opportunities from others. It's like saying CN can only be entered by undergeared players when the big boys have finished.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah. No.

In a way, stronger PVE players/guilds also get rewarded, because they can farm high-end dungeons (faster). But at the same time, they are not taking away opportunities from others. It's like saying CN can only be entered by undergeared players when the big boys have finished.

Exactly.

If all the system does is effectively cater to the largest established PvP guilds, then it will be yet another turn-off for any other players to bother with PvP at all. At least in PvE if you take the time to improve your character you can eventually quickly farm CN, etc. However in the new area the established PvP guilds will simply establish a stranglehold from the very start, make 'arrangements' amongst themselves and effectively cut everyone else out.

For a module meant to encourage people to play PvP this is utterly counter-productive. The aim should be to encourage and reward everyone playing PvP, not make those currently at the top even more unassailable.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014

as legitimate as pugs vs premades
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    For a module meant to encourage people to play PvP this is utterly counter-productive. The aim should be to encourage and reward everyone playing PvP, not make those currently at the top even more unassailable.

Yep . the ability to control the pvp maps and have an advantage in the ability to gain more black ice than anybody else is a huge concern after watching the Russian livestream , the black ice gear is very nice , mehguy posted this link to the video , watch from 14 mins to see some of the new gears stats for HR , the guy recording was playing HR but you get an idea xD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHA0p85bBEM
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Yep . the ability to control the pvp maps and have an advantage in the ability to gain more black ice than anybody else is a huge concern after watching the Russian livestream , the black ice gear is very nice , mehguy posted this link to the video , watch from 14 mins to see some of the new gears stats for HR , the guy recording was playing HR but you get an idea xD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHA0p85bBEM

So this is gear with an incredible amount of tenacity. And you're complaining about it being slower (not harder: slower) to acquire for purely pve players. LOL.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So this is gear with an incredible amount of tenacity. And you're complaining about it being slower (not harder: slower) to acquire for purely pve players. LOL.

That HR has 4,800 tenacity...NO PvE player will ever be able to kill that person.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

One has to suppose there will be new PVE gear as well.

If Black Ice was a resource exclusively needed in PVP, your reasoning would make sense.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

If Black Ice is BoP then it being slower for acquire PVE players is not a real issue, and I doubt anyone will really care that much so long as the difference isn't too great.

If Black Ice is not BoP then the issues brought up before are extremely relevant.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    One has to suppose there will be new PVE gear as well.

If Black Ice was a resource exclusively needed in PVP, your reasoning would make sense.

You're assuming a lot, all we know is that there is new black ice gear, and it's clearly designed for pvp. So who cares if pve players need more time to farm pvp gear.