test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

1v1 Duel Idea

lucadevil2lucadevil2 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hi i have lot of friends in neverwinter a want to duel in 1v1 but its hard to find them on pvp dominion and there is not a free pvp map, so why dont you introduce the "duel" function in this game? in other mmorpgs you can duel with other ppl just by clicking on them and selecting duel, if the other guy accepts the duel starts (in neverwinter could be "press F /duel"). I think this can be a very easy way to duel your friends and to train at pvp.
LucaMage - Control Wizard on server Dragon
Post edited by lucadevil2 on

Comments

• jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lucadevil2 wrote: »
    Hi i have lot of friends in neverwinter a want to duel in 1v1 but its hard to find them on pvp dominion and there is not a free pvp map, so why dont you introduce the "duel" function in this game? in other mmorpgs you can duel with other ppl just by clicking on them and selecting duel, if the other guy accepts the duel starts (in neverwinter could be "press F /duel"). I think this can be a very easy way to duel your friends and to train at pvp.

I've always liked the Duel System in Champs (whose Engine Neverwinter uses, so it shouldn't be that much of pain to get it here), so count a +1 from me.
    Of course, there is the very real possibility that the Duel Spam (yes, it's a thing) could make Protectors Enclave completely unusable. It's one of those "Try And See" type things, as long as enough members of the community will use it for it to be worth the time coding it.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • lucadevil2lucadevil2 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i agree with you that duels could make Protectors Enclave unusable , that map is small and if many ppl duel at the same time that could be a problem, as you said its one of those try and see things, should be tested and adapted to this game, but im sure all ppl playing neverwinter want a duel system
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Once again- a fight club in the cellar of trade of blades would be cool.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    but im sure all ppl playing neverwinter want a duel system

You would be mistaken. A significant portion, perhaps, But most definitely not all.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am wholly against being able to duel anyone anywhere - it would result in people griefing others by challenging them in the middle of the auction house or right on top of Knox.

IMO, if a duel system were to be introduced, it should take place in its own little instanced area - they could use the promenade area from the Summer Festival - section it off into 2 area - the actual combat area, where only 2 people can enter, and the surrounding area, where they could add stands and places for people to watch from. Companions would have to be disabled, and it would otherwise function like PvP.

My only other concern, if this was implemented, is that you'd have things like a GWF vs another GWF, that might come to a stalemate, or 2 perma-stealth TRs who just avoid each other all the time...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • lucadevil2lucadevil2 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    My only other concern, if this was implemented, is that you'd have things like a GWF vs another GWF, that might come to a stalemate, or 2 perma-stealth TRs who just avoid each other all the time...

the kind of duel i was talkin about can only start by clickin on someone and ask for a duel, so you can only duel who you wants, you dont have to join a queue and fight a random class
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the kind of duel i was talkin about can only start by clickin on someone and ask for a duel, so you can only duel who you wants, you dont have to join a queue and fight a random class

Oh no doubt. I was just talking hypotheticals - 2 GWFs agree to duel one-another, and neither can put the other down. Perhaps hve them limited to 5 or 10 mins each or something, and declare the one that did the most damage the victor if they are both still standing at the end..
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »

This exactly.

The classes were never designed for 1v1 style PVP, but for a team approach. The game leans far more to a rock, paper, scissors approach. Then being flat balanced, where every class has an equal chance to attack and counter each other class.

So for every pro PVPer looking to push their limits against difficult classes or impossible odds. There will be thousands of flavor of the month bullies dual spamming anyone they know they can beat.

Now, if it was put off into its own area. And the only place one can offer duels. Id not mind it so much. It would reduce the annoyance and bully factor considerably. But I still feel the entire idea would still be mostly fail, just due to how the classes are balanced.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would have to assume that if this feature was ever implemented the ignore button would stop someone from spamming you with requests. It would be nice, but if the next module has an open PVP zone as advertized it should be easy enough to send someone a tell and get them to join you in the pvp instance and find an unpopulated area to 1v1 in.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Duels are just for fun so it doesn't matter if classes are balanced. In fact, it would sometimes be good practice to fight a class your class is weak against.

As far as spam goes, can't someone spam you with trade now if they wanted to? It's not much of a threat and you have the choice to accept or not.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2014
    I would very much like to be able to directly challenge another player to a duel or player's party to a match by simply clicking F on them.

I can understand why this would be frowned upon in Protector's Enclave, but any other instance should suffice.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014

this may be more feasible for you when module 3 hits depending on how they implement these pvp areas.
    Icewind Pass
    This treacherous pass is one of the two new zones that will offer both PvP and PvE content to players.

Dwarven Valley
    This expansive valley is the second of the two new zones that will offer both PvP and PvE content to players.
  • calous78calous78 Banned Users Posts: 95
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, they really need to put a duel system in. I'm a fan of both a challenge system where you just click on someone and select "duel" and an arena system where you can just go into an open pvp area and do 2on 2's and whatnot.

Would be very helpful to players struggling with certain classes.

And yes classes are not balanced for 1v1's but that's ok, practice stalemating, you'll get better I swears!!

For now just do what the rest of us have been doing, get a few friends in separate groups and que up at the same time. Most of the time you guys will get the same pop then at the end of the match just close the scoreboard and the map is yours for as long as you want to practice :)
  • koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    DC vs DC.....

how about class balancing first before this absurd system?
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2014
    DC vs DC.....

how about class balancing first before this absurd system?

I don't see the problem in letting two DCs duel each other if they want to. In fact I don't see any problems with any two people dueling if they want to do so.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    ranncore wrote: »
    I don't see the problem in letting two DCs duel each other if they want to. In fact I don't see any problems with any two people dueling if they want to do so.

I think he means Cryptic should use their scarce resources to fix the current class imbalance in PVP such as TRs being too overpowered in controlling nodes.

Now, before you say this is an easy update remember; this is cryptic and anything simple could take weeks to complete for some reason