test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ioun Stone of Allure or Ioun Stone of Radiance?

yethensyethens Member Posts: 32 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Which one should I upgrade to purple for my CW? (I only have AD's for one) First I bought the Allure but then afterwards I got the Radiance. Looking only at the active bonus it seems to me that the Radiance (+55 Life Steal +55 Deflect) might be better than the Allure (7% chance to slow target). But then they have different summoning bonus so I dont know which one is better for my CW.
Can anyone give me some advice?
Post edited by yethens on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    TBH unless you are at Perfect Vorpal/GPF or rank 8 or 9 already I'd just improve my enchants. Always beneficial and you can easily pass them on to an alt or sell them.
  • Options
    yethensyethens Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    TBH unless you are at Perfect Vorpal/GPF or rank 8 or 9 already I'd just improve my enchants. Always beneficial and you can easily pass them on to an alt or sell them.

Thx, but that was not my question...
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The cost of upgrading either to epic far outweighs the benefits for most people. Assuming that you don't have to worry about the cost, the biggest worry is that a lot of people have reported that Allure bonus (slow) is broken at epic grade. Beyond that, it's such a minor control effect vs. what a wizard's actual powers do, that it doesn't seem worthwhile. My main CW has a cat because cat. My second has SoA because it was on sale at the time. I honestly don't notice any effect, but since most of her powers are knocking things down, lifting them up or freezing them, it's likely that the net effect is zero. At blue grade, I think Radiance is a better fit for most chars, but I doubt my Allure users will switch over due to the expense. But if you want to spend the money, I'd go with Radiance over Allure.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    yethens wrote: »
    Thx, but that was not my question...

Is closely related though, particularly if you are thinking of upgrading the Radiance stone as the Allure gives a special benefit (although wasn't it bugged at Epic level?)

Check how many +life steal and +deflect points you would get from upgrading your Radiance Stone from Blue to Purple, and how much you would get by spending the same money upgrading your enchants. Depending on what level your enchants are, either route may be more beneficial.
  • Options
    tesyratesyra Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It really is up to you - not what you want to hear i know, but its like one of us advising you which colour shirt to wear today

If it helps in your decision making though, i upgraded my allure to epic, and the 7% becomes 10%
    If the regen of the radiance is tempting just use a Youth item in the neck, ring or icon slot

Radiance is going to cost you at least 350k AD more to upgrade
    Also whether you prefer an icon slot or a belt slot might help you decide, since most L60 purple belts have HP which doesnt work for pets i prefer the Allure
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    HP works for augments now. Stones got fixed when Mod2 launched and cats got the HP fix shortly after.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tesyra wrote: »
    It really is up to you - not what you want to hear i know, but its like one of us advising you which colour shirt to wear today

If it helps in your decision making though, i upgraded my allure to epic, and the 7% becomes 10%
    If the regen of the radiance is tempting just use a Youth item in the neck, ring or icon slot

Radiance is going to cost you at least 350k AD more to upgrade
    Also whether you prefer an icon slot or a belt slot might help you decide, since most L60 purple belts have HP which doesnt work for pets i prefer the Allure

Couple of points. Is the Alure Epic bonus bugged still? And hasn't the HP not transferring issue been fixed?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tesyra wrote: »
    most L60 purple belts have HP which doesnt work for pets i prefer the Allure

This has been fixed since module 2.

And my answer is with the others, that upgrading either to purple is a completely insignificant benefit relative to other things you could spend the AD on. Upgrading the radiant stone to blue is worthwhile for the gear slot. If the money is seriously no object... I'd probably consider obtaining and upgrading a different companion like a Wild Hunt Rider or Cantankerous Mage.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Which one should I upgrade to purple for my CW? (I only have AD's for one) First I bought the Allure but then afterwards I got the Radiance. Looking only at the active bonus it seems to me that the Radiance (+55 Life Steal +55 Deflect) might be better than the Allure (7% chance to slow target). But then they have different summoning bonus so I dont know which one is better for my CW.

Well I wouldn't be too concerned about the active bonus that much when talking about an Ioun Stone.

Really what matters is the gear and enchants on it you can equip it with. I go from a 13,000 gear score to about a 15,000 gear score with one in, even though it doesn't show it on your actual gear score. And that's just with level 6 and 7 enchants on an Allure at Rare.

But if you're talking CW, the two big ones in PvE are generally power and recovery which the Allure gives a ton of. If Renegade build... Crit Strike is good as everything you do depends on it.

In PvP things are very different, and there you may want health/regen/life steal but especially Armor Penetration.

Generally deflection isn't that huge for a mage. Life Steal can be depending on what you do mostly.
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would only spend the AD to make an Ioun Stone purple if I was planning on using that companion in SCA, otherwise the increased benefit is not really worth the cost, IMO.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I had already upgraded my Stone of Allure to purple ... and when I got the Stone of rRdiance I had to decide whether to upgrade that, or stick with my Allure stone. In the end I decided to upgrade the new one and use that. Yes, it is horribly expensive, but the active bonus is more useful, and it is actually cheaper than to upgrade R9 enchants to R10 to get the same bonus....so, if you have nothing else to spend your AD on, by all means upgrade it. (also, in my case, being a typical DC, my Life Steal and Deflect stats were pretty low before, so this helped more than upgrading some of tghe other stats).
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In PvP things are very different, and there you may want health/regen/life steal but especially Armor Penetration.

He can use his companion in PvP?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    kurtb88 wrote: »

No. /10char
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kurtb88 wrote: »

I didn't mean to imply that, I was just giving the OP the Stats a CW generally needs and for what they need them for depending on their build.
  • Options
    starflingerstarflinger Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You can't use the eldrich's 10% bonus for radiance stone. Ioun stone all the way if you had to but dont upgrade any to purple..
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Another thing,... it seems the appearance skins of the stones are no different. I very closely inspected the first 3 skins of radiance, and they look absolutely no different. Not even a miniusule size increase.
  • Options
    barror7barror7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this; closest one I could find. My question is: Does the Ioun Stone of Radiance take up a summoned companion slot? I read (Wiki) that it's an "augment companion" and I'm not sure what that means. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    barror7 wrote: »
    Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this; closest one I could find. My question is: Does the Ioun Stone of Radiance take up a summoned companion slot? I read (Wiki) that it's an "augment companion" and I'm not sure what that means. Thanks.

Yes it takes up a slot.

Augment means that it doesn't fight or heal, and just passes on all of its stats and those of the runes/enchantments on it to you.
  • Options
    bumfluffbobbumfluffbob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This has been fixed since module 2.

Upgrading the radiant stone to blue is worthwhile for the gear slot.

Well for the OP, I don't see the point of spending AD to upgrade a green Radiant to blue when he already has a blue Allure. (And as everyone else has said, upgrading to purple is silly). For everyone else, the blue Allure is cheaper to buy than upgrading the green Radiant.

I don't really see any viable argument for upgrading the Radiant stone, tbh.
  • Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Upgraded my Ioun Stones on 2 toons to purple, admittedly so they were more use for SCA.

The slow effect is pretty laughable but it does kick in once in a while.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited March 2014

If money/AD is of no concern to you, go with a purple radiance stone for the maximum bonus.

Otherwise, a blue allure is better than a green radiance for the extra equipment slot. But if you can upgrade it to blue, extra points are way better than a slow effect, especially as a CW (you already have plenty of slow/knock/freeze powers, you wouldn't even notice the slow effect proc).
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I don't really see any viable argument for upgrading the Radiant stone, tbh.
    It's better if you have lots of AD and want to maximize your offense. The Eldritch in defense slot gives better stats overall, but the third offense slot on the Radiance stone allows for better targeting of particular stats. Also, the 2x ring+ belt is better for tailoring your stats than the ring, neck & icon available on the Azure. The ring, neck, belt on the cat is better than the allure for the same reason.

For the vast majority of players, the benefits aren't going to be worth the AD, but for top geared characters, Radiance (or Might) is a better fit. Might has a better active bonus, but the expense is even greater too.

For maximum offense, Might>Radiance>Cat>Allure.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This reply is to the OP of the thread that was moved here (Post #18; @Barror7)

Augment companions (specifically the Stones) are actually summoned and are next to you in-game all the time, except they are invisible. You can see them under specific instances, such as whenever you change maps/enter or exit an instance: if you watch carefully you can see a beam of light fade in and fade out immediately right next to you. THAT is your Stone companion.

In other circumstances you can see the blue circle that indicates the presence of companion on the ground, but otherwise invisible. So to answer the real question I suspect you have: No, you cannot summon another companion while "wearing" the stone (you must summon the stone to "wear" it, and only one companion can be summoned at a time).

Upgrading Companions:
    The only reasons to upgrade ANY companion (Stone or not) is for additional equipment slots and (primarily) for use in Gateway/Sword Coast Adventures tier 6 dungeons. Therefore only you can decide if it's worth it or not (ignore the people who proclaim it's not worth it - what they mean is that it's not worth it to them, you may feel differently.)

Hence: Logic dictates that if you don't intend to use that companion (ANY companion) in SCA very often, and you further don't intend to use that companion in game a lot (as a summoned companion) for the extra gear slots, then the (stunningly high) Astral Diamond cost could be put to better use elsewhere, such as higher-ranking enchantment, etc.

~Just my too-sense, your mileage may vary~

Oh, and regarding the Logic Dictates bit: Live Long and Prosper.
    -Cough-
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I see my stones and cats and those of other people all the time.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't have time to hunt it down right now, but one of the devs said in a thread (maybe in the official feedback thread on active bonuses) that while you can't use the pets in pvp, the active bonus portion does work in pvp. Which apart from the add'l slot on the stone of radiance, is really the only other consideration for upgrading it or not. (Unless you do the Sword Coast thing..)

This may have changed since then, or never manifested. But if so, I didn't hear about it. I don't pvp, so I couldn't say.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't have time to hunt it down right now, but one of the devs said in a thread (maybe in the official feedback thread on active bonuses) that while you can't use the pets in pvp, the active bonus portion does work in pvp. Which apart from the add'l slot on the stone of radiance, is really the only other consideration for upgrading it or not. (Unless you do the Sword Coast thing..)

This may have changed since then, or never manifested. But if so, I didn't hear about it. I don't pvp, so I couldn't say.

Anything companion related never went into pvp. I don't know where you heard that, but you were told false information. The easiest way to see this is to get any companion that changes your stats, check your stats before entering pvp, then check your stats after you enter pvp.