test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Craft Nodes

psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
edited March 2014 in The Foundry
Wow, talk about a disincentive for playing Foundry Quests. I have noticed that no Craft nodes exist in them.

I made a character (4th one) to play only Foundry Quests, and Special Events, since I had already run through the regular material twice, and find repetitious exploring of the same dungeons and farming areas BOOOOOORING!

Seriously, how is a character to get the materials required to craft if they never can find nodes. I understand the desire to curtail exploits, but seriously. No Craft Nodes, ever?

Wouldn't it be easier to simply allow the developers to add up to one of each Craft Node, and even a Treasure Chest, as exist in most existing dungeons, and then, if someone abuses it with an exploitive Dungeon, decommissioning the Dungeon (Making it unavailable), and punishing the creator with making them unable to create modules?

You have the rules in place for the Foundry, and every creator electronically signs that they will abide by the rules. Heck, you could easily add a notice each time they try to place one of the above, that reminds them of the Rule about exploits, and possible Foundry banning.

Something has to give. The current system does not promote players from running through Foundry Dungeons, and this is unfortunate, as I firmly believe the future of the game, will be this very tool, and the amateur developers who will create an endless supply of content.
Psyb3rTr011
AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
Post edited by psyb3rtr011 on

Comments

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree that Foundry gives much lower rewards than anything else. Even the 3K AD per 15 min Foundry you can get at level 60 by combining the Lord Protector's and Rhix's quests is far less than from almost anything else. But although I do love the Foundry, any idea like this is going to be abused especially by bots.

I would much rather that the other non-reward features requested by Foundry authors were looked at.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think they had nodes in Foundry for 5 minutes, until a smart designer made a map with 1 weak kobold tied to a tree, and 100 nodes to farm.
    Rinse, repeat.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I agree that Foundry gives much lower rewards than anything else. Even the 3K AD per 15 min Foundry you can get at level 60 by combining the Lord Protector's and Rhix's quests is far less than from almost anything else. But although I do love the Foundry, any idea like this is going to be abused especially by bots.

I would much rather that the other non-reward features requested by Foundry authors were looked at.

I think a possible 3000 AD per Foundry mission is far more abusive than any 5 separate nodes and a single random treasure chest would ever be.
    Psyb3rTr011
    edited March 2014
    I think they had nodes in Foundry for 5 minutes, until a smart designer made a map with 1 weak kobold tied to a tree, and 100 nodes to farm.
    Rinse, repeat.

Which is why I limited it to one of each and a single chest in my original post.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Foundry has so much potential and it is a crying shame that cryptic seem so content to just do noting of consequence with it , some of the stuff authors make is on par or surpasses what the actual employed map designers do.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited March 2014
    I think a possible 3000 AD per Foundry mission is far more abusive than any 5 separate nodes and a single random treasure chest would ever be.

BOTs.
    Which is why I limited it to one of each and a single chest in my original post.

BOTs.

And the 3K AD thing is only for 4 Foundries weekly for level 60 characters.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The unfortunate truth is that less scrupulous people would bot farm the beegeesus out of the Foundry if anything of value actually dropped there.

But, what if we had Foundry specific tokens that dropped in the Foundry, allowing people to exchange them for gear, mounts, companions or other cosmetic stuff. All of it BoP. Non-salvagable.

Make the gear non-set T1 equivalents (to help new 60's gear up without needing a group). Make the mounts and companions white or green, again to help new Neverwinter players fill out their gear a bit and get some minor upgrades. Make the cosmetic outfits something nice that experienced players would like so they can play dress up elf barbie princess.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited March 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    The unfortunate truth is that less scrupulous people would bot farm the beegeesus out of the Foundry if anything of value actually dropped there.

But, what if we had Foundry specific tokens that dropped in the Foundry, allowing people to exchange them for gear, mounts, companions or other cosmetic stuff. All of it BoP. Non-salvagable.

Make the gear non-set T1 equivalents (to help new 60's gear up without needing a group). Make the mounts and companions white or green, again to help new Neverwinter players fill out their gear a bit and get some minor upgrades. Make the cosmetic outfits something nice that experienced players would like so they can play dress up elf barbie princess.

Good idea, but this time not exploitable (well a lot less so).
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Foundry has so much potential and it is a crying shame that cryptic seem so content to just do noting of consequence with it , some of the stuff authors make is on par or surpasses what the actual employed map designers do.

Agreed to the 100th power and then some.

This with the limits placed on them. Imagine what they could make with more options!
    Psyb3rTr011
    edited March 2014
    BOTs.

BOTs.

And the 3K AD thing is only for 4 Foundries weekly for level 60 characters.

Not sure BOTS for the stuff you can get from Skill Nodes and Treasure Chests (With Non Epic Magic Items) is worth their efforts. 15K a week for (4 x 3 + 3 for the other Dailies from Rhix) AD, per bot, is a lot more than anything they would get from the Skill Nodes and a single Level appropriate Treasure Chest. Not to mention, I guarantee most of the Foundry Developers are going to make access to the Skill Nodes and place Treasure Chests difficult to locate and get to.

They could also limit each Foundry to once a day or so. So many to choose from, why should anyone want or have to repeat the same over and over?
    Psyb3rTr011
    edited March 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

I like this, and would love to see it implemented as the Final Reward, in addition to the above, and in place of the random item that most of the time, is not useable by the character finding it.
    Psyb3rTr011
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Nor do I see bots lvling to 60 just to get a few skill nodes.

Bots will get to 60 doing invoke / leadership. Foundry nodes are just an added bonus...
    edited March 2014
    If that's how they get to 60 I don't see them completing a well made foundry just for a few nodes. I've seen the bots in PvP. A halfling in a wheelchair is more mobile than those lot.

The most lucrative nodes are higher rank ones. Why do you think that a certain level 60 instance was/is so popular with bots?

Bot creators will just have (make) several foundries and run them - just as easy to do and harder to detect than the previous instance.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Bot creators will just have (make) several foundries and run them - just as easy to do and harder to detect than the previous instance.
    Basically this. The hard part in profitting from a bot is getting it to work in the first place, once it's up and running it takes far less effort to maintain it. Finding/making a bottable foundry may take some work, but once that's done a botter would just make a copy for each bot that runs them (and set the bots to select a random one for each run), to spread out plays as a sort of camouflage. They could even set up some simple fights to further obfuscate things.
    edited March 2014
    These last 2 replies kinda worry me. You basically say that there's no supervision whatsoever on foundry creation. That would at least explain why I have to scroll through dozens of useless "farm" foundries to find the good ones.

It also means that basically foundries will never be "rewarding". I find that pretty sad. People spend weeks making awesome foundries and they can't even reward players in any way for playing them. There must be something we can do about that. Not trying to hijack the thread, but come on. There's got to be some alternative. I'd happily volunteer to test dungeons before they are allowed to go live. And if they have to be announced here on the forums before they can be published and maybe even "tried" before going live, wouldn't that be a start? I'm not talking about a team judging the foundry quality or storyline itself. Their job would just be to ensure they can't be easily exploited.
    I'd be glad to help out with things like that. We don't have to leave everything to the devs. We'd just need help defining certain "rules" to prevent abuse. A good community can regulate itself well enough. Especially when it consists of like-minded people who love making the stuff themselves.

-wakes up- Dam it was only a dream. But it would still be nice to have some regulations for foundries to prevent abuse.

Same here.... Well said.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    These last 2 replies kinda worry me. You basically say that there's no supervision whatsoever on foundry creation. That would at least explain why I have to scroll through dozens of useless "farm" foundries to find the good ones.
    Correct, once you push the Publish button in the Foundry your quest is made publically available (potentially with a delay for the server to catch up).

However, Quests do start in the testing area where they stay until they get a certain amount of plays/reviews from players who have signed up to do some Foundry testing (no special requirements to do that as far as I know). But anyone can easily rush a quest through that system by using multiple accounts if they so desire. And iirc, your quest can be played by anyone who knows the short code for it even if it's still up for testing, and since the short code is mailed to the quest publisher, a farmer would know it for each farm quest he made.

Anyway, there is a reporting system for Foundry quests in place, it's just been over a month since I last played a Foundry quest, so I can't remember exactly how it works.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They could make it too so the items you earn from the nodes in the foundry are only given to you after finishing the quest, alongside the chest reward (like in swordcoast adventures) and only for quests that are selectable for the daily. (that means at least 15 mins long)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited March 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    They could make it too so the items you earn from the nodes in the foundry are only given to you after finishing the quest, alongside the chest reward (like in swordcoast adventures) and only for quests that are selectable for the daily. (that means at least 15 mins long)

I like this concept, but am trying to determine how the selectable for the Daily would work?

The key to a good Foundry use of these, would be to place them in places that required effort to get too, away from the "Yellow Brick Road" shiny path, to encourage exploration.

After all, how would the Evaluating teams know where they were, if they weren't there when they evaluated?

The first option, sounds like the best so far. Love it.
    Psyb3rTr011
    edited March 2014
    Any foundry quest that takes longer than 15 mins average to complete and has at least 20 plays counts for teh daily. this is to prevent doing a quests that takes 1 min and have it count. It would be the same for nodes.
    The other idea that I like is that nodes stop giving items unless you wait some time between finding them. they could give <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> items or no items at all if you open them too often.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Didn't read all these posts... but how about allowing authors to combine -one- node or common chest with whatever is in the end chest. (and make the end chest able to at least give out a blue and the occasional enchant, by default) Bots can't farm that, unless they complete the quest, and if that happens, well, they completed the quest. Maybe make it only available to quests of a certain involvement level, such as it must at least qualify for daily.

Always, there are two things that stop me playing more foundry quests than absolutely required to do the Protector/Rhyx combo...
    1. No reward at all versus probable expenditure of resources.. time and potions.
    2. (Unrelated to this thread, so I'm not going to bother saying it.)

Edit: Eh.. just saw..

[Quote Originally Posted by reiwulf View Post
    They could make it too so the items you earn from the nodes in the foundry are only given to you after finishing the quest, alongside the chest reward (like in swordcoast adventures) and only for quests that are selectable for the daily. (that means at least 15 mins long)]

So yeah, that. haha
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hate to say it but, bot farmers will just find a way around it, they would set all 100 of their accounts to wait 15 min step into triggered area complete quest collect nodes, rinse repeat, I think that it would be a good idea to limit it to getting the resources and beefy loot out of the chest for each foundry only 1 time per X days, bet even then they would just create 100 copies of said exploit foundry rinse repeat. You can see the headache that disingenuous players cause us. "Nope, nope! He took a cookie without asking, so now you all can not have cookies ever again!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I could personally care no less for what the bots do. Frankly I am sick to death of being hindered by people worrying about someone being able to buy a cheap enchantment. Bots are easy to spot an take out, if they don't want them here. They are scripted. The repetitive actions can be caught and the bots eliminated. They need to stop knee-breaking the players for what these people are doing, and do what needs done.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    <snip>
    The key to a good Foundry use of these, would be to place them in places that required effort to get too, away from the "Yellow Brick Road" shiny path, to encourage exploration.
    <snip>

Just one questions...
    If this was implemented... How would you let the player know that these were in the UGC? What I mean is why would I explore an area for no reward or chance of reward? Now if I knew that somewhere there was something worth while... I might go exploring. But I I don't know this... I am just going to finish and leave.
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
    edited March 2014
    Just one questions...
    If this was implemented... How would you let the player know that these were in the UGC? What I mean is why would I explore an area for no reward or chance of reward? Now if I knew that somewhere there was something worth while... I might go exploring. But I I don't know this... I am just going to finish and leave.

And that is your choice, isn't life great.

I learned gaming on Table Top PnP, and learned quickly to look everywhere for things. Why, because the DM's hid some cool stuff away from the main game path. After all, if you hide a piece of jewelry in your house, do you hide it in plain sight, or do you find a secret cubby hole to place it in?

Those that want to run through, and finish the end objective can do so, but those of us who want to explore, can do the same. We pay for only completing one dungeon in an hour, versus those who run through "Completing" three.

End result, even with these secret stashes, we will likely end up with less k00l l00t, than you will by racing through. But you will only get part of the immersive experience of a well written story, and we will get the whole thing.

Fair trade in my book.
    Psyb3rTr011
    edited March 2014
    I always explore around foundry quests for hidden things, even if it can't be a node or chest. Even a "congratulations, you found this special place!" is nice.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I regard Nifty Things to be the best reward in foundry. Little bits of story, cool visuals, that kind of thing.

An impressive visual or story snippet will be remembered long after getting a health potion drop.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?